As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Is it more fun as an Enforcer or Attendee?

PayneTraynePayneTrayne CanuckRegistered User regular
edited April 2011 in PAX Archive
I've never been to PAX and I've heard great stories from both sides. Attendee is obvious, you get to experience a great show, and from what I understand it changes you a little bit.

Enforcer, you get to meet up with like minded people and keep the peace. It supposed to be a lot of fun doing your 6 hour shift, and sometimes, cause you're a bit crazy, you might go for the full 18 hour shift.

Background for me: I'm a pretty outgoing guy and consider myself sociable at least. I also don't have problems with mediation, the only thing I have a problem with is patience (as in a line for more than an hour might hurt my insides a bit).

Seeing as you guys have obviously been to PAX what would you suggest I do for my first PAX?

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
PayneTrayne on

• Options
    dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It's great both ways. I highly recommend attending for at least a year or two, then going the Enforcer route. I attended for years and kinda felt like I'd gotten all I could out of it. Now I love serving all the fine attendees.

For your first PAX, though, I definitely recommend being an attendee, there's just so much to see that you may miss out on as an Enforcer.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, what he said.

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    There's a lot of things going on at PAX, even as an attendee you won't see it all, that's a guarantee. As an Enforcer? You'll see less.

Enforcing is a lot of fun, but it is also a lot of work. I've seen people come to PAX as an Enforcer their first year and they had a blast, it's entirely likely you would too, but I am absolutely glad that I was an attendee first.

So ask yourself: Do you want to go so you can see the excellent show? Or do you want to go so you can help put on the excellent show? Being an Enforcer is a different experience entirely.

Kyanilis on
  • Options
    PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Ah, alright guys. Thanks for the advice. From what I understand I think I'll attend once or twice (why does PAX Prime have to be so far, 36 hour drive! And Pax East, 12 hours).

Also, secondary question: As I've only ever been to one small convention before (Anime North) how do you think my brain will withstand all that is PAXEast?

PayneTrayne on
    PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • Options
    feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    This year was my first PAX East. My only other con experience was the Arnold fitness Expo (there for the collegiate ballroom dance competition) and it is very different, not only in content but in people. Your brain will withstand it fairly well, as long as you are open to trying things and meeting new people. But one thing I must point out, is that you CANNOT POSSIBLY do everything there is to do at PAX in one year. This year, I went to two panels of the six or seven that I wanted to go to, spent most of my time on the expo floor, and did a lot of walking, and I still didn't do everything I wanted to do.

So I ask you, are you okay with flying by the seat of your pants, and are you able to be flexible in your plans? If so, you'll be just fine. If not... you'll still have a lot of fun, just not as much as you'd expect.

Also, stay on the forums and check stuff out for sure. After PAX Prime wraps in August, the forums go into a sort of "PAX East organizational headquarters" with a bunch of meetups, events, and so on.

feitocomfruta on
  • Options
    ptriz21_teamkillptriz21_teamkill Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I feel like you should attend first to get a feel for the event. How can one create an enjoyable experience for the attendee, if they were never one themself? What if some doe-eyed first time comes up to you asking for advice on how to manage their day, but you have never been yourself?

ptriz21_teamkill on
    3DS: 3325-2059-2105
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Alright, sounds like good stuff. Although I don't think I'll care much for the expo floor. I am going primarily to meet Gabe/Tycho and the LRR Crew, for they have influenced far too much of my life.

Also, good point teamkill, I mean I've been to a con before and had a great time but that's because I found my niche. Improv comedy, I doubt there'll be much of it here. Thanks for all the advice, I will be attending for my first two PAXes before trying to don the red/black.

PayneTrayne on
  • Options
    dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Also, good point teamkill, I mean I've been to a con before and had a great time but that's because I found my niche. Improv comedy, I doubt there'll be much of it here. Thanks for all the advice, I will be attending for my first two PAXes before trying to don the red/black.
    If you do go the Enforcer route, consider our Line Entertainment department. Improv comedy should be much appreciated there :)

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Options
    Brian4120Brian4120 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I've gone to PAX as an attendee for about 2 years now. After this year I think I will defiantly consider becoming an enforcer for at least a year.

Brian4120 on
    I'M HALPING!
  • Options
    ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The LRR crew is awesome. :D

My advice, coming from both sides of the fence: Attend at least one PAX, preferably two or more, before enforcing.

PAX is overwhelming. It's huge. There's too much to do. My advice to newcomers is always to have a very, very loose plan. Don't make a crazy schedule for yourself and stress when you miss things, because you will miss things. Just go with the flow, immerse yourself, meet people, and have a good time, with maybe one or two things per day that you really try to see.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • Options
    ptriz21_teamkillptriz21_teamkill Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Arco wrote: »
    PAX is overwhelming. It's huge. There's too much to do. My advice to newcomers is always to have a very, very loose plan. Don't make a crazy schedule for yourself and stress when you miss things, because you will miss things. Just go with the flow, immerse yourself, meet people, and have a good time, with maybe one or two things per day that you really try to see.

I agree. Our first year we planned for 2 or 3 panels we thought we would like to see on Saturday. First booth we went to that morning was Roosterteeth, which was right next to Bungie and their Halo 3 demos. Signed up for a tournament. Don't think we made it to any fo the panels, but was not heartbroken about it.

ptriz21_teamkill on
    3DS: 3325-2059-2105
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    dyaballikl wrote: »
    If you do go the Enforcer route, consider our Line Entertainment department. Improv comedy should be much appreciated there :)
    Oh my lord! You have no idea how much you have made me want to become an enforcer in a year or two. My love for improv is absolutely ridiculous.

PayneTrayne on