As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Of might and men [Weightlifting]

• InvincibleInvincible Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    One of my favorite parts of cleans is the red line that just kind of stays on my collar bone/ chest area. Just makes me feel one with that bar.

Invincible on
    3DS Friend Code: 2921-9194-1579

Let's make record. It will look like:
    Side A.
    1. Tomato Soup
    2. Grilled Cheese
    Side B.
    1. Naptime
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So yesterday was a very good day at the gym.

It was my first day attempting to get together a solid workout plan of bench press/deadlift/squats, so I was actually a bit nervous because of the general lack of knowledge of my regiment. I was originally going to hit the big 3 and leave it from there.

I was struggling on my final set at the bench press and one of the gym patrons helped me finish the set. Then he gladly helped explain the kind of workout regiment I should do for my upper body and the importance of form, especially in the beginning. Midway through the conversation the guy who taught my boot camp class from Tuesday showed up and proceeded to help me out with every question I had, and even helped me put together a great beginner's schedule, addressing my form and purpose of the exercise for each one.

So now I know exactly what to do at the gym, how hard to hit it per session and how much I should push myself after each one. This is exactly what I needed to hear. I am 200% more confident at the gym now that I know what to use my time for, especially since I actually understand my regiment rather than blindly following orders at the gym from a personal trainer.

Godfather on
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    an actual important question kind of

often after working out

random muscles will cramp up really badly
    like my calves for example, or yesterday, it was one of my hamstrings, and that hurts like a motherfucker

what do i do about it?

That shit happens to me sometimes too. Everyone says drink more water, and eat more bananas. Still doesn't help me.

What do you guys think about creatine causing cramps? I do seem to get more cramps when I'm on, but that might be caused by some unrelated factor. Nothing I can think of from what I know about creatine should cause it. It's not like it blocks sodium intake, or causes dehydration...

somehow i feel like caffeine contributes as well.

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
    edited April 2011
    but that's just correlational memories about times i've cramped up -- ramped up on stimulants, dehydrated, sweaty, etc.

Dead Legend on
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    big l wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »
    so would a weighted sled like the prowler be able to be used on dirt/grass or gravel?

I have a prowler type sled (the actual prowler is overpriced so I got a welder to make me one cheaper) that I sometimes use in my backyard. It really doesn't work that well on grass. It is kind of stop and go - tough to get going and easy once it is, and it tears up the grass. On asphalt/concrete it is much smoother and really all around better. But, it is loud, and I feel weird doing it in the street in my residential neighborhood. I have never tried gravel or dirt but I imagine it would be in between. Really for it to work like it is supposed to I think it kind of has to be asphalt or field turf or something hard and flat.

Fuck it then. I'll just hook up a harness to my 4-wheeler and pull that. The thing is ridiculously heavy.

time for the gym! Deadlifts here I come.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

often after working out

like my calves for example, or yesterday, it was one of my hamstrings, and that hurts like a motherfucker

what do i do about it?

That shit happens to me sometimes too. Everyone says drink more water, and eat more bananas. Still doesn't help me.

What do you guys think about creatine causing cramps? I do seem to get more cramps when I'm on, but that might be caused by some unrelated factor. Nothing I can think of from what I know about creatine should cause it. It's not like it blocks sodium intake, or causes dehydration...

well i have been taking creatine
    and yesterday before the gym i had a cup of coffee

so

could be it

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
    edited April 2011
    Godfather wrote: »
    So yesterday was a very good day at the gym.

It was my first day attempting to get together a solid workout plan of bench press/deadlift/squats, so I was actually a bit nervous because of the general lack of knowledge of my regiment. I was originally going to hit the big 3 and leave it from there.

I was struggling on my final set at the bench press and one of the gym patrons helped me finish the set. Then he gladly helped explain the kind of workout regiment I should do for my upper body and the importance of form, especially in the beginning. Midway through the conversation the guy who taught my boot camp class from Tuesday showed up and proceeded to help me out with every question I had, and even helped me put together a great beginner's schedule, addressing my form and purpose of the exercise for each one.

So now I know exactly what to do at the gym, how hard to hit it per session and how much I should push myself after each one. This is exactly what I needed to hear. I am 200% more confident at the gym now that I know what to use my time for, especially since I actually understand my regiment rather than blindly following orders at the gym from a personal trainer.

:^:

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • EmruggsEmruggs Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Squatted 260x2 today. My back is so ready for the deload. Also, in this latest cycle of 5/3/1, I hit new PRs in overhead press, deadlift and bench press and all the lifts felt strong.

Onward and upward, and all that.

Emruggs on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2011

often after working out

what do i do about it?

well i have been taking creatine
    and yesterday before the gym i had a cup of coffee

so

could be it

i don't think it's the sole cause of your cramping, but i feel that the effects are cumulative

Dead Legend on
  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    Matt

I love that video

Too bad Planet Fitness is a fucking terrible terrible terrible place.

mrt144 on
  • MereHappenstanceMereHappenstance Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Once my shoulder is less sprained, I'll try and get back into lifting. I'm trying to think if I should get back into squats again. Got a bum knee, but I think I can top my old high school PR of 600 lbs. on it.

MereHappenstance on
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    just deadlifted 275 3x5. When I started squatting twice a week I feel it took the wind out of my sails as far as deadlift went. I'm finally feeling confident in my deadlift again. The new vibrams might be helping too. I've never felt more solid lifting before.

webguy20 on
    edited April 2011
    though i havent been barbell squatting due to the knee thing, that has had the benefit of giving me more energy overall,
    so i'm almost back to where i was at before i stopped working out on the bench which was prolly like 125, and then soon i will actually be benching big boy plates, cuz i'm at, what ummm 115 now so 20 more to big boy plates

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
    edited April 2011
    though i havent been barbell squatting due to the knee thing, that has had the benefit of giving me more energy overall,
    so i'm almost back to where i was at before i stopped working out on the bench which was prolly like 125, and then soon i will actually be benching big boy plates, cuz i'm at, what ummm 115 now so 20 more to big boy plates

I finally hit 135 after 3 months of going from zero exercise and weight lifting to 4-5 times a week and starting marathon training (I only mention this because I'm sure I'd be stronger overall if I wasn't running 3 miles 3 times a week and 14+ one time a week).

The thing is, when I hit it I wanted to high five someone but I was the only one in the weight room.

mrt144 on
  • Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    http://youtu.be/AmLHObdrS2s

I want it. All of it.

Chessboxing909 on
    "I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
    edited April 2011
    http://youtu.be/AmLHObdrS2s

I want it. All of it.

The power rack alone is worth price of admission.

mrt144 on
    edited April 2011
    wow

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
    edited April 2011
    i wish i hadnt been so resistant to doing any forms of athletic activity as a youth
    or even until i was like 18+ really

i didn't realize how cool all those sports thingys were

how silly i was as a younger fellow

that gym is boss

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • MereHappenstanceMereHappenstance Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm thinking once I get back into a regular weight lifting routine, I'll be able to get back to 5x5 260 on bench. As it is now, I rarely do any bench press so I usually just do 5x5 at 225. I felt so good about myself when I lifted constantly.

I just need a partner who will actually lift weights with me.

MereHappenstance on
  • HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Gym is Serious Business™.

Hamurabi on
  • Joe ChemoJoe Chemo Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    This is boss

stevereeves_deadlift.gif

Joe Chemo on
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2011
    Steve Reeves is basically my idol.

A duck! on
  • DrijenDrijen Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Jesus christ that is intense. He looks like he has orangutan arms but still that is just a frightening way to lift a bar.

Drijen on
  • RabidDeathMooseRabidDeathMoose Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    God I fucking love that cobra look. And the fact that his chest is shredded but doesn't bulge out, man looks like he could be whip fast and flexible still.

RabidDeathMoose on
  • the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Drijen wrote: »
    Jesus christ that is intense. He looks like he has orangutan arms but still that is just a frightening way to lift a bar.

it is fucking hard. i tried doing deadlifts that way and could barely pull 225

the wook on
  • Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Good week so far. Finally doing 3x5 at 185 on the bench and feel like I'll move up again next week after I made 1x3 at 205 so I'm edging quickly toward that 225. Made 315 on squats finally and 345 on deadlifts, made 165 on power cleans and 145 on overhead press. Slow but satisfying progress. Bench has always been my weakest lift, so I'm happy with the progress so far.

I'm still feeling a little pain in my left side joints, pretty heavily at the elbow, less so at the shoulder and very minor in the knee.

Uncle Long on
    edited April 2011
    the wook wrote: »
    Drijen wrote: »

it is fucking hard. i tried doing deadlifts that way and could barely pull 225

It's like doing hack squats with a bar in that you think you can do a lot more and then you find out how little leverage you have.

A duck! on
  • FrankoFranko Sometimes I really wish I had four feet so I could dance with myself to the drumbeat Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    whenever I do shoulder press exercises it always feels like my left arm is going to pop loose

Franko on
    edited April 2011
    Franko wrote: »
    whenever I do shoulder press exercises it always feels like my left arm is going to pop loose

What kind are you doing? Forward, behind the neck, dumbbell, arnold, etc?

A duck! on
    edited April 2011
    hm doing the shoulder mobility wods are tricky
    it is tough to keep shoulders in neutral position without putting them into internal rotation to do the things they say
    guess thats why i am doing the exercises eh

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • OhtheVogonityOhtheVogonity Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Time for general update!

I've been doing 3x5 in all the Starting Strength lifts followed by exercise bike or Treadwall. It's been hard being regular, but I've managed at least twice a week every week and I'm still hitting 3 days a week here and there.

As of last lifts I'm sitting at:
    205 deadlift (pleasing)
    185 squat (I feel like my form is holding me back and I'm trying like hell to fix it)
    135 power clean (intensely satisfying, my favorite lift)
    115 bench (also closing in on big boy plates)
    95 press (goddamn is press hard)

I'm going to start throwing in pull ups and roman chair stuff. Very exciting.

More on my bothersome squat form: There's a mirror in front of the squat rack, and watching myself, I look all lopsided. It seems like my legs are engaging at different times, so it's sort like I'm wagging a tail. Which seems like a lot of wasted effort. And I don't know if I have different ranges of motion in my shoulders, but it seems like I'm lopsided there too. And I'm struggling to keep my wrists straight. In short, it's a mess, and I feel like I need to start over from zero on the squat and retrain my brain on it.

But there's also good news! People think I'm losing weight (I'm not, just exchanging fat for muscle) and my clothes are fitting differently. I feel a lot better. And I'm not getting twinging pains in my chest anymore (that was a little scary).

OhtheVogonity on
    Oh freddled gruntbuggly...thy micturations are to me/ As plurdled gabbleblotchits on a lurgid bee
  • FrankoFranko Sometimes I really wish I had four feet so I could dance with myself to the drumbeat Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    A duck! wrote: »

I usually start with arnolds and free weight press, but by the time I get to the bar it feels like my left arm is going to dislocate, but I'm also not feeling like I've not worked out to failure

Franko on
    edited April 2011
    what, a treadwall?! i want a treadwall

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
    edited April 2011

I usually start with arnolds and free weight press, but by the time I get to the bar it feels like my left arm is going to dislocate, but I'm also not feeling like I've not worked out to failure

This sounds like one you might need to talk to a physio about. There are plenty of exercises you can do to strengthen weak points in your shoulder if you know the area, but you shouldn't really ever get that feeling.

A duck! on
    edited April 2011
    oh man treadwalls look amazing as all

Franko on
  • OhtheVogonityOhtheVogonity Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It's pretty badass. Keep skinning my knees on the grips and such. Which ain't that bad. Pretty ingenious how it works too. No motors, it just works off of your bodyweight.

OhtheVogonity on
    Oh freddled gruntbuggly...thy micturations are to me/ As plurdled gabbleblotchits on a lurgid bee
    edited April 2011
    Oh, and the current routine I'm looking to spice up:
    Day 1:
    Bench: 5/3/1
    A: T-Bar Row/Squat - 4x8
    B: Incline Bench/Lunge - 3x5
    C: Pullover/Leg Extension - 3x12
    D: Dips/Pullup - 3xfailure
    Ab work in between everything

Day 2:
    Press: 5/3/1
    A: Upright Row/Concentration Curl - 3x10+
    B: Neutral-Grip DB Press/Wide Grip Curl - 3x10+
    C: Raises/Close Grip Curl - 3x10+
    All curls done in power cage (praising self while saying "bro")

Day 3:
    Sumo Deadlift: 5/3/1
    A: Shrug 3x8 / Reverse Curl 3x10+
    B: RDL 3x5 / Forearm Curl 3x10+
    C: Hamstring Curl / Reverse Forearm Curl 3x10+
    Ab work in between everything

Day 4:
    A: Wide-Grip Bench 5x10 /Curls 3x10+
    B: Bent Over Row/different Curls 3x10+
    C: French Press/even more Curls 3x10+
    D: Dips/Chin up 3xfailure
    All curls done in front of mirror in power cage (shirtless, oiled)

Day 5:
    A: Press (not set on what to do, but I do a lot of it all the same)/Squat 4x8
    B: Upright Row/Lunge - 3x10
    C: DB Press/Leg Extension - 3x10+
    D: Raises/Hamstring Curl - 3x10+
    Abs in between everything

It's fun enough, but I always feel like I could do a little bit more, although this is taking enough time out of my day already. I'm coming off a vacation so I should probably just stick with this and see if I burn out or not, but I just feel like I could be working harder. I'm giving shrugs, upright rows and behind the neck presses another shot this month and they're all working out okay, and I'm going to give cleans and front squats their time next month. If anyone has some fun exercises that don't begin with "Turkish" or "Zercher" I'm open to suggestions.

A duck! on
    edited April 2011

I had a really similar problem, step back and evaluate your posture. If you slump your shoulders forward, head pushed out in front a bit, it's probably a muscle imbalance causing the issue. Avoid shoulder/chest/upper trap work for a bit and focus on mid trap, rhomboids and lower trap along with some rear delt isolation work. Of course can't know for sure, and it's better to see a PT and have an evaluation but if it's not an option give that a shot for a month or two.

Chessboxing909 on
    "I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

edited April 2011
    Oh, and my left heel is just killing me still, inside of it, just a good amount of pain, tried massaging the area, icing it and all that but still feels like a mess. I have to tilt my foot to keep pressure off the big toe half of it or I get some pain. Not good.

Chessboxing909 on

edited April 2011
    fuck I want a treadwall!

webguy20 on
This discussion has been closed.