As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Long Ass trip from the Eastest of Coasts

jandrewsjandrews Registered User regular
edited March 2006 in PAX Archive
Hey all,

Me and a couple buddies are really thinking about trying to get to PAX this year, the problem: we are 7000 km or about 4300 miles away as illustrated by the below picture.

bigtrip7un.jpg

So we're thinking either driving, plane or the best idea yet...train. It's probably the cheapest out there, and since I'll have to rob some kids piggy banks to get there I figure by train will hurt as few kids as possible.

I saw the cross country PA road trip but not sure if that's any good for us as we have to go a long ass way just to get to some of the other people's starting points :(

Just looking for some thoughts on what we could do.

Thanks,

Jeremy

jandrews on

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2006
    PAX isn't in Spokane.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    Crazy Newfies ^^

A friend of mine may be coming in from new Brunswick, so you could always hook up with him and see how he's getting there.
    PAX is in Seattle, a good 6 hours west of Spokane, so remember that :P
    It may be cheaper to fly to Vancouver and drive down or take the bus. It may be cheaper than a cross-border week-long train trip.

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
  • Options
    edited February 2006
    hmmm...I see...well that makes it even further, goddamn...

jandrews on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited February 2006
    Also, i wouldn't recommend crossing the border twice, once you make it into the United States, you should probably stay there. That said, if you decide to dive, please consider the Cross-Country Supertrip. Granted it's a long drive just to reach the supertrip, but you're going to have to go that way regardless.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited February 2006
    Well the Amtrak from Portland to Spokane is about 400 US return...I assume Seattle ain't that much more...a flight from NL to Van City is gonna run us 900 US at least, then the rental car down....so it would be more expensive on the plane.

We were debating driving, though that run is absolutely insane...plus we'd have eachother murdered a few days into the trip in the small ass car we'd be driving.

We're still weighing it out, last year we went from St. John's down through NE to New York and back...we're looking to do another crazy ass road trip this summer and PAX seemed to be the ticket.

Thanks for the advice,

Jeremy

jandrews on
  • Options
    edited February 2006
    I gotta read up on that Supertrip...that's a long fucking run...and major expensive...but it might be a possibility depending on the numbers going and the high class corporate sponsors we get....plus the t shirt!

- Jeremy

jandrews on
  • Options
    edited February 2006
    That would indeed be the craziest. Time yourself out for Cleveland, OH on the road, and in your guys' case I would recommend getting here the day before so you can get some sleep in before the long haul. Plus, we'll be having a meat grilling festival the day of departure. Let us know what you plan on doing because we'd seriously love to have you guys along.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited February 2006
    I can't believe taking a train would be your cheapest option. You'd still have to stay in a hotel while on the trip. And you can get really good tickets on the internet these days.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited February 2006
    Well there are varying factors on each method of travel; namely cost, length and coolness. While a plane may be close to the same cost as train it would be nowhere near as cool...and while car would be the coolest...the duration would be evil. It's a toss up as to the choice right now, but we'll make it soon.

- Jeremy

jandrews on
  • Options
    edited February 2006
    *votes for evil*

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited February 2006
    yes yes Moe, I would vote for evil normally as well.....but you live in Cleveland...a half a country away from where we start out from :(

If we chose to drive only, we would be driving the width of the country twice! Like I said, the trip over would be excellent, because we would be looking foward to everything....but the trip back would drive us insane.

We went on a road trip last year and during the trek home we drove from Montreal to Halifax, about 16hours straight....and that was the evilest time I spent in a car ever...and for the PAX drive we'd have to do that trip EVERY day!!!

Anyways, the plans are still being solidified, but at the moment it looks like a combo of driving and training...we don't want to flat out fly, because that is too lame, but I'll keep you guys upp to date. :D

- Jeremy

jandrews on
  • Options
    edited March 2006
    Bah, I guess we're two different people. I see the road trip as one of those passages of life. I love to drive and will hopefully be doing this among other trips of supertrip proportions for years to come, but for some people this may be the only time they'll be able to swing a week off or have a ride worthy of the trip or have to money to pull it off for ten years or so. This road trip is definately going to be the defining moment of my year and hopefully many others. Insane, yes. Masochistic, yes. Bent on world domination, yes. The trip back may not be as fun, but you can still drive it with a boatload of people. PAX doesn't have to end when they close the doors on Sunday. Anything can be cooler if it's mobile. Even a party. :P

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    ZonkytonkmanZonkytonkman Registered User regular
    edited March 2006
    woah. fellow townies. I might be going this year as well. the distance really is a pain in the ass though, isn't it?

Zonkytonkman on
  • Options
    edited March 2006
    Joineth the Cross-Country Supertrip, the Otaku Inquisistion is already coming from that direction of goodness towards the sweet PAX west coast happiness.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited March 2006
    yeah Zonky, it's just so friggin far away...but so far we've decided on driving, ferrying to the mainland, driving to Boston and then Amtraking across to Seattle...with a day or two stopover in Chicago.

As an added bonus we are going to be playing the CoC Orient Express mission on the train over to Seattle...Mmmmm, geekiness in all its glory!!!

- jeremy

jandrews on
  • Options
    duderdude2duderdude2 Registered User regular
    edited March 2006
    Have you guys really thought this through? I know it sounds like a half-fun/half-retarded trip on paper, but it's going to be much, much worse in actuality.

Not to mention I have a hard time buying that's cheaper to drive than it is to fly, given that you have to pay for fuel, food, hotel, and whatever other misc. costs you guys are going to rack up, for what amounts to a nearly 10,000 mile trip.

And once you factor in wear and tear on the car, which is going to depreciate its value & life significantly, it really isn't that good of a bargain. And furthermore, you better pray that your car does not break down, less that'll throw off your entire schedule and potentially cost hundreds of dollars.

duderdude2 on
  • Options
    edited March 2006
    Screw the bargain, join the Supertrip. It's coolness outweigh's any potential cost.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    duderdude2duderdude2 Registered User regular
    edited March 2006
    Best damn reason I've heard yet

duderdude2 on
  • Options
    jenellejenelle Registered User regular
    edited March 2006
    Flying is really only cheaper if you are traveling alone or with another person. When you start racking up the denominators, it gets much cheaper to drive, especially if this fabled 15-person van comes into play. Plus there are many reasons that movies and legends are based on cross-country roadtrips. I look forward to wacky hijinx.

jenelle on
    cJSEBzK.pngcJSEBzK.pngcJSEBzK.pngcJSEBzK.pngcJSEBzK.pngcJSEBzK.png
  • Options
    edited March 2006
    Last summer me and the guys I'm going with drove from Newfoundland down to New York...it was quite doable as long as we didn't spend an excess amount of time on the road at one time.

On the way back we went direct from Montreal to Halifax in one day...15 hours later I wanted to shoot myself...that's basically why we are not taking the car across country, but we wanted to have a bit more fun than just sitting in a plane for a few hours...hence the train.

- Jeremy

jandrews on
  • Options
    Duo2087Duo2087 Registered User regular
    edited March 2006
    yea i got about the same distance to go (Tampa, Florida) but i think im just gunna fly in with a few friends even though this supertrip is tempting. in comparison to his map i figured i give one up to
    ?e=9&GetMapDirect=Gme5diw%2cb%3a9u12%3b%40%24x0%2dy29f72%26%3d221%2dagly72%26f%40x5ryg5%40t%2694aa0z%24lg6zx967%3a9uy2%3b0%24nu67%7c%26a7a1%40%24%3a%26%40aa%21fra967%3a%29ra%26q4y0u6%24%3a%26u72u%2c%24xuzb%3a%26%40%24%3aqz%400uyr2u%40%5fn10%40xl6t2u%40%24%3a94tw%3bu%24ndz7%261%2cbs5r%24%3a%26uz2%26uz20r8xq%40200%40%24ndw7%261%2c8l%26w%24l0fra9%40%5fg1w8gg%40z2qu%24l1uy%3a9ara0%40%5fxuf1%3a9a20u%40%5fw9a2%3a9u2xg%40%5fxuyb%3a5f1w%26%3dbn90%24sqwa%3a%29a2l0%40ba90%24%2elw1a%26z8xu%40%5fxq0r%3ah0r%3a%29w7wq%40r2d4%24%2ed620%26zt2q%40%5fa06z%3ag0bl%26%3dyll6%24xq0z%3a%29u2290%24nuza2%26%3dal1w%24xd6a%3a%29f7l9%402suy%24%2eq4t0%26ua51%40%5fa5ay%3a9w80%26%3d25g4b%3a0ay%3a%29u1l0u%245qrb%3a%29abw5%402nh6y%3a%29f155%40ylhy%24%2e9a82%26fyn0%40%5fsgry%3a9u7gh%40%5fl541%3a9w2a%26%3daldwy%3a9a22%26%3dan9ft%3a1ayl%26%3d2a5fr%3al41l%26%3dyn9u%24%2e9z8x%26%3dya0f%24%2e90a5%26%3d2l50r%3alz2s%26%3d12qw%24suub%3a%294a01%40zwqr%24%2e1z2n%26%3d22hy%24%2e90151%402xu0%24%2e9uy0u%40%5faqr%24%2ehayw%2602gd%40%5fnl6bn%26wz2l%40%5f596a%3al0ts%26%3dzsqw%24xlaz%3a%29fa0l%40all4%24%2e0aal%26uzsu%40%5fsdur%3a06b%3a%29azx0%402x9u%24%2eg6tx%26arn%26%3dt50a%24%2edy1l%26%3d2xh0t%3a%29ubx9%40%5fndzy2%26a2xh%40%5fwdz1%3a9fbx%26%3drsl0%24nq68%3a%29ya2u%40rx%26%3dzx%26u8su%2c7%3a9w72%210%2a%3agz7x%26%40

Duo2087 on
    Who is more ignorant? The man who cannot define lightning, or the man who does not respect its awsome power?
    Cross Country Super Trip
  • Options
    edited March 2006
    That is also an evil trip distance, have fun on the planes :)

jandrews on
  • Options
    Duo2087Duo2087 Registered User regular
    edited March 2006
    yea i think we decided were gunna go with the supertrip, i mean this kinda thing dosent happen every day and i wouldent wanna miss it for the world.

Duo2087 on
    Who is more ignorant? The man who cannot define lightning, or the man who does not respect its awsome power?
    Cross Country Super Trip
  • Options
    Bryse EayoBryse Eayo Registered User regular
    edited March 2006
    Any chance one of the trips would make a stop in Ottawa?

Bryse Eayo on
  • Options
    edited March 2006
    We're not stopping in Ottawa, but if you can make your way south, you can meet us at one of the waypoints. Check the PAX 06 Road Trip thread in the stickies or http://www.ccsupertrip.org/ccblog for the maps and scheduling.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    Bryse EayoBryse Eayo Registered User regular
    edited March 2006
    Any chance there's a bigger map then on the main page?

Because it looks like south means waaaaay south.

Bryse Eayo on
  • Options
    edited March 2006
    CCST-route.jpg

It's definitely "not in canada" south

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png