As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What the fuck is business casual?

ZeonZeon Registered User regular
edited April 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So, i got a new job recently through a friend, and despite what my buddy told me, they want me to dress business casual for the first few weeks. Problem is, every job ive ever had is casual dress, so i dont own anything business casual or even really know what it looks like these days, to be honest.

Anyone got any links or pictures or anything with some modern business casual dress? Also ideas on where to shop for it would be great too. I live in Toronto, so we've got lots of stores, i just dont wanna drop a shitload of money on new clothes I'll only have to wear for a couple weeks before i can go back to casual dress.

btworbanner.jpg
Check out my band, click the banner.
Zeon on

• Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Dress pants or nice khakis and a button down shirt or polo.

it's nothing to get excited over.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    polo + slacks

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Or a button up shirt tucked in but no tie or coat.

Button up shirt and sweatervest, etc.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    You can mix it up with a buttoned shirt too, this way you're not trying to find ways to stretch your current polo collection into the couple of weeks you mentioned.

You don't have to wear a tie and a jacket, but putting one of each in your car every morning is a good idea. I've been saved from being the most underdressed guy in the room at a couple of surprise or emergency meetings due to having a jacket and tie onsite.

Wear business shoes and dress socks, too.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Yeah i dont have any of that stuff. My wardrobe is about 100 tshirts, 10 pairs of jeans, 5 suits and 10 ties. Where can I go to get something decent, but cheap?

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    You have 5 suits but no button-up shirts?

Burnage on
  • Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Zeon wrote: »
    Yeah i dont have any of that stuff. My wardrobe is about 100 tshirts, 10 pairs of jeans, 5 suits and 10 ties. Where can I go to get something decent, but cheap?
    Old Navy actually has a decent selection of slacks and button up shirts, and are reasonably priced.

Entriech on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Burnage wrote: »
    You have 5 suits but no button-up shirts?

Seriously, unless your a male stripper I have no idea how this could work.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    CowSharkCowShark Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah i dont have any of that stuff. My wardrobe is about 100 tshirts, 10 pairs of jeans, 5 suits and 10 ties, and one each of fireman/police/doctor costumes. Where can I go to get something decent, but cheap?

CowShark on
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    100 t-shirts too?! I have maybe 10 and most of those are plain black and white.

Go to Kohls, Old Navy or any place in the mall that sells normal dude clothes.

edit: If you are daddy warbucks "I own suits", you can also go to Express. They are having a really good sale right now. Their clothes are excellent but a little more expensive.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The safe business casual that is (imo) perfectly comfortable but not ever underdressed is basically suit up business but strip the jacket and tie.

Keep a tie in the vicinity in case you need to dress it up unexpectedly, it happens.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Infidel wrote: »
    The safe business casual that is (imo) perfectly comfortable but not ever underdressed is basically suit up business but strip the jacket and tie.

Keep a tie in the vicinity in case you need to dress it up unexpectedly, it happens.

Avoid polos. They're lazy and look terrible. You can look casual and classic at the same time.

Esh on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Esh wrote: »

Avoid polos. They're lazy and look terrible. You can look casual and classic at the same time.

Agreed on the first and last points. Polos are not business casual. The only time I've seen them allowed is when the office isn't business casual, it's just no jeans allowed.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So, i got a new job recently through a friend, and despite what my buddy told me, they want me to dress business casual for the first few weeks. Problem is, every job ive ever had is casual dress, so i dont own anything business casual or even really know what it looks like these days, to be honest.

Anyone got any links or pictures or anything with some modern business casual dress? Also ideas on where to shop for it would be great too. I live in Toronto, so we've got lots of stores, i just dont wanna drop a shitload of money on new clothes I'll only have to wear for a couple weeks before i can go back to casual dress.

Easy. No jeans and no tie.

Slider on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    That brings up a good point, every business is going to have a different idea of what business casual is. At my office polo's are the norm, but I work at a University and the polo's typically are in the schools colors and have the schools logo on them. Other offices, maybe not so much. It depends.

To be safe, just go with a button down shirt and some slacks. You can get that shit at Target for 15 bucks. Total.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Slider wrote: »

Easy. No jeans and no tie.

Oh good, I can wear my wife-beater and clown shoes.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Business casual in all the places that I've worked and that my friends have ever worked was slacks and a polo. Button down shirts are acceptable, too. If you have 5 suits, you can easily just wear the pants with a button down shirt. It's simple, and will get the job done until you can do whatever it is they do for clothes for non-newbies in your office.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Also, black or brown shoes. Preferably something more dressy than gym.

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, there is definitely a variation depending on who you are working with. Which is the whole point of how you dress in the first place, the impressions you give with those you are interacting with.

However, university / art-trendy business is not really Business Casual by what most people deal with. The important part is to observe, and err on the side of too dressed until you get the feel of it.

For me, I work downtown at a consulting firm. Business Casual is very clearly going to be on the dressier side, as we work among the full business dress crowd, and our clients are often part of that.

Dressing for business is all about situational awareness, but if you don't have the situation nailed down, go dressy. Sounds like it's too late for you, but you should be scoping things out during the interview (where you'll usually be full dressed) to see what your specific office is wearing.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Ok, i guess that was poorly worded. I do have button up shirts, but i dont have any polo's or khakis. Only non-jean pants i have are suit pants, which kind of seem to me too expensive to wear day to day unless youre going to go the whole 9 yards and suit up. I mean, i'll be riding the subway and the streetcar, so if i sit in gum or catch them on a sharp edge, thats like 400 bucks out the window.

I guess ill hit up Old Navy or Walmart or something. I just wasnt exactly sure on the definition of "business casual" since again, for the last 10 years or so I have never had to wear anything more formal than jeans and a tshirt, aside from suits for special events or client meetings or interviews and what-not.

Im also not too worried about having to dress up at a moments notice either. The office was pretty casual when i went in there, lots of jeans and tshirts, i guess just for the first little bit they want me to wear business casual because ill be meeting with the higher ups while i go through orientation. They actually specifically said I wont have to wear a suit in the email they sent explaining the dress code.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Infidel's most important point: when in doubt, overdress. Nobody's going to be upset about you being a little overdressed, but underestimation in this regard is bad news indeed.

For the first day, I'd wear one of the suits and keep the jacket and tie in your car. During the day, try to scope out what the rest of the new hires are wearing, or ask somebody there. Then you can hit the store after work and pick up what you need.

Polos are usually fine, but nobody is going to object to a full button-down shirt.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Esh wrote: »

They're lazy but they can look good on certain people.

But that's why I have like 15 knitted sweaters. Cause it's lazy but looks fine and is OK per our companies standards.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    BelgarionBelgarion Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Business-casual-male4.jpg

there you go. that's how you should look.

Belgarion on
  • Options
    Reverend_ChaosReverend_Chaos Suit Up! Spokane WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Buy some khaki's that match with your dress shirts.

As far as "what" business casual is, I find that it varies, especially East coast/West coast. I work in a West coast office, and our version of business casual is jeans and a polo shirt, or any kind of button up shirt. Honestly anything but a t-shirt. Our home office in New York City, business casual is slacks, with a button up dress shirt, with or w/o tie....anytime one of the head honcho's visit our building we all have to "dress up" as it were, because even though we have our own dress code, we don't want managment to change our dress code for us. I will mention that we are a closed site, so we don't have "customers" coming in or anything. We process claims and take phone calls only.

Reverend_Chaos on
    “Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Any of these are fine, even over-dressed with the coats.

men%27s%20fashions%20for%20work.JPG

Men's Warehouse shirts.

They have a lot of good FAQs too.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Tuesday is total bullshit.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    YranYran Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Business casual at my work pretty much involves non-sneakers, non-T-shirt, and some khakis or slacks.

Wear button-ups and some slacks your first few days until you get a feel for the workplace.

Yran on
    630847-1.png?1294970711
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I find few things more unattractive than a guy in a pair of khakis and a polo. While it may technically be business casual to wear a polo, you should just rock the suit without the jacket and tie.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I think a lot of the confusion comes from companies having Casual dress and calling it Business Casual.

It's not "we're a Business, we dress Casual, BUSINESS CASUAL!" :lol:

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    miracmirac Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So assuming you are wearing a button up shirt and dress pants, do you have to tuck the shirt in? Also how far up do you have to button the shirt?

mirac on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    mirac wrote: »
    So assuming you are wearing a button up shirt and dress pants, do you have to tuck the shirt in? Also how far up do you have to button the shirt?

The photos have it all pretty much, except Tuesday. Tuck that shit in.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, Tuesday clearly started drinking early.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah skip tuesday.

Also, I agree completely with the polos hate in this thread. Theres no situation when given the choice you could wear a polo that a dress shirt wouldn't look better.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Also depends on the company. I've worked from a pulp mill to government and they all say "business casual". Clearly the mill is less strict to gov't. That pic is for higher end / more strict end.

Gilbert0 on
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    There's a guy at work that has probably the largest collection of sweaters I've ever seen. I asked him about it and he said "Oh, it's because I hate tucked in shirts."

The man may be a genius.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Derrick wrote: »
    There's a guy at work that has probably the largest collection of sweaters I've ever seen. I asked him about it and he said "Oh, it's because I hate tucked in shirts."

The man may be a genius.

I'm that guy at my office.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    You wear kahkis and a polo when you go and play golf, not when you go to work.

It's dress pants and a button up.

If you want to dress it up look at a jacket or a vest.

Blake T on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    People can whine about it being lazy/terrible/whatever but tucked in shirts suck and i've yet to see a company with a business casual mandate that cares if you tuck it in or not until you hit management where business casual or not you're wearing a suit at all times.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    People can whine about it being lazy/terrible/whatever but tucked in shirts suck and i've yet to see a company with a business casual mandate that cares if you tuck it in or not until you hit management where business casual or not you're wearing a suit at all times.

Why do they suck?

mrt144 on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Fat guys and tall guys hate tucked in shirts the most, from my experience. I'm 6'1" so I either have to wear a sweater, tuck my shirt back into my ass every time I sit down, or pay $Texas for shirts from a big and tall store.

SmokeStacks on