As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Thoughts on the [Motorola Xoom]?

13»

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So when I thought my macbook was permanently busted (only the HDD luckily) I almost pulled the trigger on the Wi-Fi version.

I did try it out for quite a while and I really like Honeycomb. Though researching the thing showed that there's still a big lack of native apps. Sucks, cause I hate the Ipad IOS but it seems to have tons of neat apps. Hopefully Honeycomb can get caught up cause I think it is the superior IOS.

As of now I know I'm eventually getting a tablet (either Ipad 2, Xoom or Samsung's tablet) by June for my Comic Con. Just gotta see where things are by then.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Kyougu wrote: »
    So when I thought my macbook was permanently busted (only the HDD luckily) I almost pulled the trigger on the Wi-Fi version.

I did try it out for quite a while and I really like Honeycomb. Though researching the thing showed that there's still a big lack of native apps. Sucks, cause I hate the Ipad IOS but it seems to have tons of neat apps. Hopefully Honeycomb can get caught up cause I think it is the superior IOS.

As of now I know I'm eventually getting a tablet (either Ipad 2, Xoom or Samsung's tablet) by June for my Comic Con. Just gotta see where things are by then.

There's this site that tracks how many apps there are that specifically take advantage of of the tablet form factor and Honeycomb and I believe that number of apps is around 20. If that is true, I don't think this is the right time to buy a Xoom. But man, if you are a developer I bet you could make a decent profit with any type of app that specifically works great on a Xoom since I'm sure people want to download anything to use on their new toy.

Rothgarr on
  • Options
    rockmonkeyrockmonkey Little RockRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Rothgarr wrote: »

There's this site that tracks how many apps there are that specifically take advantage of of the tablet form factor and Honeycomb and I believe that number of apps is around 20. If that is true, I don't think this is the right time to buy a Xoom. But man, if you are a developer I bet you could make a decent profit with any type of app that specifically works great on a Xoom since I'm sure people want to download anything to use on their new toy.

That would be interesting to explore. Does the sheer number of ipad/ipad2s in the wild overcome the disadvantage of increased competition from other apps versus the relatively low number of honeycomb/xoom specific apps and the lower number of xooms in the wild.

I suspect there is (like roth thinks) a bit of an app vaccuum of honeycomb at this particular moment, and as is always the case if one exists, it will be filled quickly and an equilibrium will be reached. Another factor to help speed up the development of honeycomb/xoom specifc apps is that many developers have already finished iphone AND ipad versions of their apps and will most likely receive more return by spending their current time and effort on developing those apps for honeycomb and gaining access to ALL of those potential users opposed to working on a new updated version of their app specifically for ipad2 first (this, despite that developing for a new platform is obviously more time consuming than updating on a platform you already support). Since any ipad1 app isn't easily hindered on the ipad2 by being devleoped for the ipad1 since brand new features weren't prominent over faster hardware in the redesign they have some breathing room on the life cycle of their pre-existing ipad apps.

At the most basic it's a bit of a catch 22. Developers will make apps for iOS because there is a MUCH larger existing user base for them to sell to. BUT! there is a larger user base (partly) because there are more apps available already. This is a key advantage that Apple earned by being first to market by practically a year in this new era of tablets, and will hinder honeycomb app development compared to if the two reached market originally within, say, a quarter of each other. This is of course stating the obvious.

rockmonkey on
    NEWrockzomb80.jpg
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    rockmonkey wrote: »

That would be interesting to explore. Does the sheer number of ipad/ipad2s in the wild overcome the disadvantage of increased competition from other apps versus the relatively low number of honeycomb/xoom specific apps and the lower number of xooms in the wild.

I suspect there is (like roth thinks) a bit of an app vaccuum of honeycomb at this particular moment, and as is always the case if one exists, it will be filled quickly and an equilibrium will be reached. Another factor to help speed up the development of honeycomb/xoom specifc apps is that many developers have already finished iphone AND ipad versions of their apps and will most likely receive more return by spending their current time and effort on developing those apps for honeycomb and gaining access to ALL of those potential users opposed to working on a new updated version of their app specifically for ipad2 first (this, despite that developing for a new platform is obviously more time consuming than updating on a platform you already support). Since any ipad1 app isn't easily hindered on the ipad2 by being devleoped for the ipad1 since brand new features weren't prominent over faster hardware in the redesign they have some breathing room on the life cycle of their pre-existing ipad apps.

At the most basic it's a bit of a catch 22. Developers will make apps for iOS because there is a MUCH larger existing user base for them to sell to. BUT! there is a larger user base (partly) because there are more apps available already. This is a key advantage that Apple earned by being first to market by practically a year in this new era of tablets, and will hinder honeycomb app development compared to if the two reached market originally within, say, a quarter of each other. This is of course stating the obvious.

These developers could also be waiting for the other Honeycomb OS tablets to be released before choosing one as a lead platform.

Ziggymon on
  • Options
    RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Lead platform? Already? At this point I'd think they'd only need to consider Honeycomb, dual-core, and only a small handful of tablet screen resolutions. Regardless, they're going to have to account for more variations sooner or later.

Rothgarr on
  • Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I think iOS has a slight advantage since Apple uses the same type of processor in all modern iOS devices and the screen resolutions are scalable between the old iPhones and the 4 and the iPad and the iPad2. The biggest problem facing that platform is the inconsistency in memory and the outpaced original processors.

If you develop for the Xoom now who says the next tablet won't have some weird resolution or some totally incompatible processor?

useless4 on
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Lead platform? Already? At this point I'd think they'd only need to consider Honeycomb, dual-core, and only a small handful of tablet screen resolutions. Regardless, they're going to have to account for more variations sooner or later.

I meant the lead platform for honeycomb development. Like you said the new galaxy tab and the handful of new Honeycomb based tablets might prove more of a seller than the Xoom.

Ziggymon on
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    InkSplat wrote: »
    Man, the on-button for the Xoom is such a terrible design. At work yesterday, I watched at least 5 people struggle with figuring out how to wake the damned thing up.

I was just at Best Buy and played around with one. Took me a good 3 minutes to figure it out. No buttons on the front, no buttons on the side--surely they wouldn't put it on the back where it's easy to accidentally hit? Nope, they did. Dumb design.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    keggheadkegghead Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Picked up a wifi version on Tuesday.

The power/lock button is in a weird place for sure, but it's actually quite natural since that's where your fingers tend to land when you're holding it at the edges. I don't see the big deal with this, it's a lock button, you push it once when you want to use it then never touch it again.

Applications are sorely lacking, but knew that coming in. Very disappointed Google Reader doesn't have a distinct render mode for large resolution displays. Already uninstalled it and use the web-based interface. I expected at least Google to have good app support, but alas, no sir.

I hate the speaker being in the back, but this flaw extends to most other devices as well. Companies are so worried about not having a slick smooth glass front so their device can look like the iWhatever. Do some bloody innovation in your design and slap the stupid speaker in the front bezel area already. I'm in front of the device, not behind it. I know it will cost more to etch a grille in the glass, but it will be worth it so your device doesn't sound like it's making noise out of its ass.

All things said though, it's a really slick device. All I wanted was something that is a great email and internet browsing device that's bigger than my phone but not as cumbersome as my laptop. Having an accessible filesystem is also important for me, so forget the iPad...

Soft keyboards are just too awkward for me at that screen size. The device is big to use only your thumbs in either orientation, so I either need to place the device down and use like a normal keyboard, or simply do one hand hovering which gets tiring for long walls of text. SwiftKey Tablet ought to fix it though. The native keyboard also sucks in my opinion. Having to go to an alt screen for numbers and some basic symbols...seriously?

If someone is looking for an entertainment device to play lots of games and what not on, don't fool yourself, buy an iPad.

However if you want an internet/email device which is easier to interact with than your phone, I don't think you can get any better than a Xoom currently. I expect any of the honeycomb devices to fill this role as they start to roll in.

kegghead on
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Web and email are pretty great on iPad, actually.

I'd say the issue with putting speakers on the front is, at some point you're going to cover them up with your hands while holding the device.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Or you would have a smaller screen losing like 1.5" or so along the bottom. and it would look funky when you rotated it.

useless4 on
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    jailbreak the iPad and get ifile

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    Epyon9283Epyon9283 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    kegghead wrote: »
    Very disappointed Google Reader doesn't have a distinct render mode for large resolution displays. Already uninstalled it and use the web-based interface. I expected at least Google to have good app support, but alas, no sir.

Try newsr. Its pretty decent.

Epyon9283 on