As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mass Effect: Blue Öyster Cult was wrong.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Nice to see Bioware in here again. All they need to do is publish one little four-page preview and we're back to the 100-page per day MASS EFFECT threads.

Fairchild on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I know...their chests protrude a little bit more than the males it seems.

Anyway...now that you can equip any weapon...what's to stop everyone from using ARs?

Assumably, it will be balanced.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Fairchild wrote: »
    Nice to see Bioware in here again. All they need to do is publish one little four-page preview and we're back to the 100-page per day MASS EFFECT threads.

It's the circle of life.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    H*RH*R Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Two questions:

1. Is that Game Informer cover in 1900x1200 wallpaper size somewhere? I must have it

2. Anyone heard if the interactive comic they put in the PS3 version was going to come to the Xbox? That would really be handy. I love ME1 (issues and all, it's my favorite game) but I don't have buckets of time anymore with a son, the interactive comics to form backstory would be so handy.

H*R on
    Nintendo Network: WarrenMSP
    3DS: 4184-2362-9697
    PSN: Skywarrd
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Anyone heard anything about a collectors edition (hah! see wut i did thar?) of ME3 yet? I only ask because as Fry has so eloquently put it....TAKE MAH MONEY!

Also I want extra shinies related to mass effect 3, I don't care, I wants them.

Thegreatcow on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Sentinel-Sheps, I have a question.

I'm starting a shotgun assault Sentinel run; what's the preferred bonus power?

Orca on
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Orca wrote: »
    Sentinel-Sheps, I have a question.

I'm starting a shotgun assault Sentinel run; what's the preferred bonus power?

Warp Ammo, or Armor-Piercing if you prefer.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I get a lot of use out of inferno grenades since Sentinel doesn't get any fire-based abilities. But I don't play above normal.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Cool. I went with warp kind of by default.

Orca on
  • Options
    SnowblindvictimSnowblindvictim Flying casual Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Whats Cryo ammo good for? I never found myself using it. (In ME2)

Snowblindvictim on
  • Options
    DaSniper91DaSniper91 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I tried it out a few times as crowd control but there are better options imo.

DaSniper91 on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Anyone heard anything about a collectors edition (hah! see wut i did thar?) of ME3 yet?

Fun fact:

ME1 had a Collector's Edition.

ME2 had a Collectors' Edition.

Note the subtle difference. Bioware's way ahead of you. ;-)

I found it pretty useful playing Infiltrator. Disruptor for synthetics, cryo for organics. Shattering krogan is fun.

Jazz on
  • Options
    BerkshireBerkshire Earth Federal Forces MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    We had some banter about what might be included in a special edition in the last thread, but there hasn't been anything official yet AFAIK. I think I remember one of the good people of BioWare throwing out a tweet asking what kind of neat stuff the fans would like in a ME3 SE, though.

Then Jazz wanted a Tali RealDoll and the banter went to hell when somebody posted a pants-crappingly horrible picture of someone's attempt to build said doll.

Yay, new thread!

Berkshire on
    "And don't you ever stand for that sort of thing. Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    GT: FootlongKaPow
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Mass Effect 3 sounds like a move in exactly the right direction.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Cryo ammo is good for crowd control. If you're having a problem getting swarmed or flanked by enemies, turn on cryo and suddenly they're not such a big deal anymore.

I find it very very handy for the Object Rho battle as a Vanguard when they're all clustered up and not really suitable for chargin'.

Orca on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Berkshire wrote: »
    We had some banter about what might be included in a special edition in the last thread, but there hasn't been anything official yet AFAIK. I think I remember one of the good people of BioWare throwing out a tweet asking what kind of neat stuff the fans would like in a ME3 SE, though.

Then Jazz wanted a Tali RealDoll and the banter went to hell when somebody posted a pants-crappingly horrible picture of someone's attempt to build said doll.

Yay, new thread!

I merely threw out the suggestion by editing something someone else already wrote, which IIRC was an action figure with removable envirosuit. I never said I wanted a Tali RealDoll.

...which was an omission on my part.

Jazz on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Reading about this I'm pretty excited. Sounds like a good deal of old squadmates will be coming back into the game and that is me 100% satisfied. I don't want to play Intergalactic Recruitment 3.0. Time to murder some things that deserve it.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Ugh, why did they redesign Ashley and Kaiden?

Do people honestly think they look better now? Way to go, BioWare.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Jazz wrote: »
    Berkshire wrote: »

Yay, new thread!

I merely threw out the suggestion by editing something someone else already wrote, which IIRC was an action figure with removable envirosuit. I never said I wanted a Tali RealDoll.

...which was an omission on my part.

This, of course, led me to a picture of the RealDoll factory floor.

Damn my curiosity.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

Should I be worried that your faux despair arouses me

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Well for lack of anything better to do and because I really wanted to play some Mass Effect I just did a failshep run with this stunningly beautiful character:
    o3VV5h.jpg

Finished it in 4 and a half hours and succeeded in losing everyone.
    It was fun.

Jesus Christ, what did you do to his face to make him LOOK like that? Is then even a "Run the face through a blender" option?

There was much effort involved.
    Not really, the character creator basically did the work for me.

Renegade Wolf on
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Pancake wrote: »

I'm thinking they want to improve the ME1 play-do face.

Pancake, thinking about doing a female Shepard run for my last fling, got a good face for me ?

Fairchild on
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Well for lack of anything better to do and because I really wanted to play some Mass Effect I just did a failshep run with this stunningly beautiful character:
    o3VV5h.jpg

It was fun.

Jesus Christ, what did you do to his face to make him LOOK like that? Is then even a "Run the face through a blender" option?

Damn, I applaud you for having the fortitude to be able to look at that 'thing' for long enough to do a complete playthrough.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Cormac wrote: »
    o3VV5h.jpg

It was fun.

Damn, I applaud you for having the fortitude to be able to look at that 'thing' for long enough to do a complete playthrough.
    He did it in 1 sitting of less then 5 hours

shouldn't have been too scaring

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    o3VV5h.jpg

Enchantment?

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Fairchild wrote: »
    Pancake, thinking about doing a female Shepard run for my last fling, got a good face for me ?

Uh, nothing new.

Just these:

http://www.masseffect2faces.com/index.php?faceID=1091

http://www.masseffect2faces.com/index.php?faceID=1367

I haven't touched ME2 since Shadowbroker came out and really have no interest in ever playing it again.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Blue Oyster Cult was right.

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Anyone heard anything about a collectors edition (hah! see wut i did thar?) of ME3 yet?

Fun fact:

Note the subtle difference. Bioware's way ahead of you. ;-)

I found it pretty useful playing Infiltrator. Disruptor for synthetics, cryo for organics. Shattering krogan is fun.

Nice, I'll have to give that a try on my next run.

Also, wasn't it just the Xbox version of the first game that got the Collectors edition? (Which is now going for absurd prices)
    The PC version (being far superior) is well and all but that collectors edition is very nice

Snowblindvictim on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    No, I'm like 90% sure that there was a steelbook PC edition too

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Also, wasn't it just the Xbox version of the first game that got the Collectors edition? (Which is now going for absurd prices)
    The PC version (being far superior) is well and all but that collectors edition is very nice

Note the placing of the apostrophe. ;-)

And yes, as far as I know just the 360 got the CE treatment for ME1; the PC version didn't hit until a good few months later. That 360 CE was a Gamestop website exclusive in the States. It's seemingly rare as hell now. Glad I coughed up for it at launch. :)

And I wouldn't say the PC version is far superior. Certainly in many respects but maybe less so in others. (It bugs me that right at the start, Joker doesn't close his eyes when he shakes his head when Anderson says Nihlus is "already here"; and in the same scene, that Shep doesn't actually glance at both Kaidan and Joker when they're bickering and the camera cuts to Shep supposedly reacting. Little things like that.) I like having them both, honestly.

Jazz on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Spoit wrote: »
    No, I'm like 90% sure that there was a steelbook PC edition too

360 ME1 CE isn't steelbook. It's essentially a tin with a cardbook in it holding the game disc and CE bonus disc (almost exactly the same setup as Gears 1, actually - both Microsoft-published, whereas EA published ME1 on PC), plus the manual and the two CE-exclusive books. If there is a PC version I've never seen it, but I'll happily be proven wrong.

Jazz on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Oh wait, I was thinking of dragon age 1. Yeah, I don't think the PC got a special edition for ME1

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Spoit wrote: »
    Oh wait, I was thinking of dragon age 1. Yeah, I don't think the PC got a special edition for ME1

Yeah, DA1 got one, as did ME2.

Jazz on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

(It bugs me that right at the start, Joker doesn't close his eyes when he shakes his head when Anderson says Nihlus is "already here"; and in the same scene, that Shep doesn't actually glance at both Kaidan and Joker when they're bickering and the camera cuts to Shep supposedly reacting. Little things like that.) I like having them both, honestly.

Please do go on because I have been completely unaware of said differences.

Snowblindvictim on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    (It bugs me that right at the start, Joker doesn't close his eyes when he shakes his head when Anderson says Nihlus is "already here"; and in the same scene, that Shep doesn't actually glance at both Kaidan and Joker when they're bickering and the camera cuts to Shep supposedly reacting. Little things like that.) I like having them both, honestly.

Please do go on because I have been completely unaware of said differences.

I can't think of other little tiny differences like that off the top of my head - I guess I notice those because I've played the start of the game a thousand times now, and I'm not sure they've ever been documented anywhere - but, for my money, the Mako controls much, much better on the 360 (just by virtue of the left stick vs the WASD keys), and obviously there's Garrus' face texture although I believe that can be modded now, which is amazing to me as Bioware said they couldn't fix it without a multi-gigabyte (!) patch, IIRC.

Still, I appreciate the PC version's improvements - less texture pop-in, menus that are more suited for mouse control than even ME2 managed, tweaks to the inventory system and so on.

I do think the 360 version of ME1 gets a bum rap. Of course it has its problems but it's still great.

Jazz on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, ME1 was a significantly better port than 2.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I've always been a big PC gamer so don't take offense to my whole superior version thing haha.

I hope to not open any floodgates by requesting this, but there was this adorable fanart of Grunt playing
    with a toy dinosaur. Would anyone happen to have that?

Snowblindvictim on
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So decided to go with the octopus (rather than the racist or the aids gasmask) for my first (mostly paragon) playthrough. Also, award for most combat-useless companion split between the gasmask and the alien McClane. Most useful: shark-man and the racist.

Also, I think nicknames are fun.

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Jail Bait, Space Hitler, Carth, Quarian, Badass and Mall Cop

get the nicknames right

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I've always been a big PC gamer so don't take offense to my whole superior version thing haha.

I hope to not open any floodgates by requesting this, but there was this adorable fanart of Grunt playing
    with a toy dinosaur. Would anyone happen to have that?

me__dinosaurs_by_anniezard-d2y9ood.jpg

?

Mass Effect needs more Firefly love. Can't let Halo steal it all.
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    So decided to go with the octopus (rather than the racist or the aids gasmask) for my first (mostly paragon) playthrough. Also, award for most combat-useless companion split between the gasmask and the alien McClane. Most useful: shark-man and the racist.

Also, I think nicknames are fun.

WHYIOUGHTA

Jazz on