As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

112th Congress: Everybody's Angry At Everybody

QuidQuid Definitely not a bananaRegistered User regular
edited April 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
The old thread is getting long in the tooth. Where we're at right now is in an astonishing turn of events Democrats stared Republicans in the eye and didn't blink. Admittedly, they may have squinted some but government shut down has been averted. Thus making everyone simultaneously happy with themselves for solving the problem and angry at the other guys. A permanent bill is in the works for next week.

In other news rumors abound that ED 209 may be running for for Michigan's 13th congressional district.
IMG_0874.jpg

Quid on

• GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Solve for a certain value of "functioning".

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Do we have a breakdown on the compromise yet?

Khavall on
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Wait why do we want to replace congress with robots? Are the current units malfunctioning? Their AbsurdPander4b units appear to be working fine as well as their Circularlogic 2.0 processors

Edit: Wait can things still break down? Isn't it too late?

override367 on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Wouldn't it be wonderful if the Dems had let the shut down happen and insisted the Bush rich tax cuts end before resuming?

I mean, the American people really do want us to raise taxes on the rich - they do. I wish we could have that fight, because we'd win it.

You say things like this and it hurts me deep inside to know that it will never happen :(

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Khavall wrote: »
    Do we have a breakdown on the compromise yet?

Not that I've seen. But it's also late where it happened so they may be waiting for morning or even Monday.

Quid on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Democrats mostly blinked still. They just didn't cave entirely.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So like what....$50-$55 billion in cuts?

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
    edited April 2011
    38.5 billion

enlightenedbum on
  • BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    so.... wait who won the standoff?

democrats kept PP and the EPA, but it cannot have been just that, what did the republicans gain other than the 38.5?

Barcardi on
    edited April 2011
    Boehner got a continuation of his tanning spray subsidy

override367 on
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The ire of the Tea Party, really, because the Tea Party wanted a shutdown.

For everyone else, like I said in the previous thread, the shutdown is the equivalent of Survivor's purple rock, it looks like. People will make shitty quickie solutions everybody hates in order to avoid the purple rock.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
    edited April 2011
    Barcardi wrote: »
    so.... wait who won the standoff?

democrats kept PP and the EPA, but it cannot have been just that, what did the republicans gain other than the 38.5?

The DC media won. They got to cover a dramatic story, poor people get to suffer, and we get to do it all again with the debt ceiling!

enlightenedbum on
  • South hostSouth host I obey without question Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Gosling wrote: »
    The ire of the Tea Party, really, because the Tea Party wanted a shutdown.

For everyone else, like I said in the previous thread, the shutdown is the equivalent of Survivor's purple rock, it looks like. People will make shitty quickie solutions everybody hates in order to avoid the purple rock.

I'm assuming the purple rock is bad?

South host on
    Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
    edited April 2011
    How the purple rock works is this: if there is a tie before the last 4 players, and the tie is not broken on a re-vote, the two players who were voted for are granted immunity and every other player in the game draws rocks. The one who takes a purple rock is eliminated.

enlightenedbum on
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    That....sounds like the stupidest thing.... the rock, not congress necessarily this time.

lonelyahava on
  • WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    You guys play some weird games.

WMain00 on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Wait, what? purple rocks?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Don't blame us Sweden started it!

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    38.5 billion

Which, and correct me if I'm wrong, is $38.5B cut from the 2010 budget levels, not from Obama's proposed budget. Compared to what Obama originally proposed, which entailed a $40B increase in spending, this budget entails $78.5B in cuts.

I'm pretty sure nobody in Congress at this point actually knows where those cuts are coming from. Let's just say we'll see huge cuts in military spending on mercenaries and from corn and oil subsidies.

Oh yeah, that doesn't fuck the poor over.

Lawndart on
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm not sure about the word "Functioning" in the title. Funded might be a better choice.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Word yesterday was that the numbers being thrown around were cuts to mandatory programs, where the Republicans wanted discretionary spending cuts. Mostly because discretionary spending is what keeps us poor folk from killing and eating each other.

I don't know how accurate that is, but that was what I was hearing yesterday as to why they kept pushing for more cuts, because they wanted to get at that icky discretionary spending.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Have we heard anything from the far right house republicans?

Are they going to vote with the speaker?

rockrnger on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I dunno but the politico nuts are having a seizure

nexuscrawler on
  • enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hey look, I wake up and still have a government. A fine day indeed. Presumably my more conservative friends won't be as happy. They thought a shutdown was a great opportunity to show the country that we don't need most of the government.

enc0re on
    edited April 2011
    cuts to mandatory spending I'm fine with, reason being I don't think either party would actually cut medicare significantly

In any case I think cutting 10 billion out of medicaid is less destructive than 10 billion out of education, but we're talking eating our shit on a salad or on ice cream here.
    enc0re wrote: »
    Hey look, I wake up and still have a government. A fine day indeed. Presumably my more conservative friends won't be as happy. They thought a shutdown was a great opportunity to show the country that we don't need most of the government.

Are these individuals capable of unassisted breathing?

override367 on
    edited April 2011
    I have this pipedream where the debt ceiling and budget battles get used to push the idea that sane levels of taxation are actually part of being fiscally responsible.

It's probably just my glands acting up again.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    edited April 2011
    It's such an easy battle to win. Even regular joe teapers are upset about GE getting a refund instead of not paying taxes.

Frustrating how much stock the dems put in Fox News' opinion of America

override367 on
    edited April 2011
    jdarksun wrote: »
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    I have this pipedream where the debt ceiling and budget battles get used to push the idea that sane levels of taxation are actually part of being fiscally responsible.

It's probably just my glands acting up again.
    This would require a group of people diametrically opposite to the tea party in every conceivable way.
    We theoretically have those.

They're called "sane people."

OptimusZed on

• DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

You know, I bet those people would be singing a different tune if the shutdown didn't exclude fire and police.

Or maybe they would, because they're ideological mouthbreathers.

Delzhand on
  • adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So.. the new spending bills cut funding for abortion services in D.C.

adytum on
    edited April 2011
    DC is basically Washington's bitch, this shouldn't come as a shock

override367 on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    There are cheaper alternatives!

suicide-booth.jpg

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    edited April 2011
    I think Republicans would be okay with suicide booths, but not abortion booths (or women who are pregnant using suicide booths)

override367 on
    edited April 2011
    I think Republicans would be okay with suicide booths, but not abortion booths (or women who are pregnant using suicide booths)
    What about putting a baby in a suicide booth.

OptimusZed on

edited April 2011
    If it's post birth? That'd be fine.

BUT NOT ONE FUCKING SECOND BEFORE ITS BORN

After that you can toss in a dumpster or whatever, who cares

override367 on
  • enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Delzhand wrote: »

You know, I bet those people would be singing a different tune if the shutdown didn't exclude fire and police.

Or maybe they would, because they're ideological mouthbreathers.

Fire and police are local. These are 'the feds are doing too much' types. And of course they hate the idea of the military not being paid.

enc0re on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    There's always A Modest Proposal and Soylent Green too.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Cantido wrote: »
    There's always A Modest Proposal and Soylent Green too.

Didnt one of the republicans actually unironically write some republican solution to the poor and call it 'a modest proposal'?

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    This has been a good opportunity to explain to people the Hyde Amendment, but the number of people who will willfully ignore the info are mind-boggling. :x

I had a horribly wonderful talk with a small business owner yesterday, wherein he posited that Planned Parenthood was lying about only 3% of their services being abortions. Self-reporting being untrustworthy and all. I agreed that sometimes self-reported stats can be questionable. Then I asked him about that tax fraud he must be committing when falsely reporting his business' income/profit to the IRS. Things went downhill from there. Oddly enough, people aren't a big fan of having their own lazy arguing turned toward them.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So how are these "$39 billion in cuts" calculated?

Like, if the last 2 CRs had $30 billion and $31 billion in cuts each, respectively, would we now be at a total of $100 billion in cuts from last years budget?

Or is it more like "$39 billion if this bill was for the whole year, but less then that because it's not" or what?

shryke on
This discussion has been closed.