As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Western Animation thread

JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp.I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
edited July 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
Welcome to the thread for discussing cartoons from places that aren't Japan. That last part is very important.

Here are some examples of things you can discuss:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFLTa1_SYfs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvHxhUyPiq4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3EoBl5uBfU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFMsOeWyWTY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUcKJflBG8Q

Trying to slip anime in, or getting too weird and creepy about pony-related children's entertainments, will not be looked upon with favor.

Other than that, go nuts.

Jacobkosh on

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So handsome

so... like a pony

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    racist against ponies.

Specieist?

Anyway if you were on the fence about MLP the latest episode is one of the best. It has a alice in wonderland refrence and a benny hill theme interlude. That show is really hitting its stride.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Watched the latest Sym-Bionic Titan this morning(DVR is the best!). Pretty good episode. I wonder if Genndy has enough time to wrap everything up. I can see where the show may be heading to a nice season finale cliffhanger, but with its cancellation I hope they can get some closer on it.

Steel was cracked me up when he threw his pistol.

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011
    Just so we're clear, can we get an edict on western properties given to eastern animation studios, such as the X-Men anime, or this upcoming Mass Effect thing?

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Also, what is this Thread's stance on shows such as Avatar who are very much "animesque"? What about shows such as Cybersix which are co-productions between the US and Japan?

21stCentury on
  • Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Last night I saw the trailer for Sym Bionic Titan on CN for the first time. Thought to myself that it's worth checking out. This morning I noticed the title on the last Western Animation thread. Did it get cancelled before it started? Could someone fill me in?

enc0re on
  • Options
    NinjabearNinjabear Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I just saw the "That's My Jam" episode of Regular Show after not watching the show for a couple of weeks. It's like I've fallen in love with the series all over again.

Ninjabear on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me!!! Friend Code: 2981-7429-8364
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Fox doesn't air Saturday morning cartoons anymore? It's just the WB now?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    OwlbatOwlbat Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So I just finished the first season of Wakfu in a super marathon last night. I am a happy person.

Also, what day are they showing new episodes?

Owlbat on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    emnmnme wrote: »
    The WB still exsists? Didnt it change to the CW? Or is that only in some markets?

ABC does a some of the disney shows on saturday mornings. Not strictly cartoons though.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    emnmnme wrote: »

it made me sad when I realized Fox stopped airing afterschool and saturday morning cartoons. is it because they just couldn't compete with the cable networks anymore? Still, they produced some great shows in the day. Remember The Tick?

21stCentury on
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Wasn't there supposed to be a new Young Justice episode yesterday?

pyromaniac221 on
    psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    enc0re wrote: »
    Last night I saw the trailer for Sym Bionic Titan on CN for the first time. Thought to myself that it's worth checking out. This morning I noticed the title on the last Western Animation thread. Did it get cancelled before it started? Could someone fill me in?

It's been on for a while now. Had an initial 20 episode order. Now that's all it's getting, and that order's almost used up.

yalborap on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Also, what is this Thread's stance on shows such as Avatar who are very much "animesque"? What about shows such as Cybersix which are co-productions between the US and Japan?

Avatar is really good and I've yet to hear anyone disagree. Later on the show comes into its own style and moves away from a lot of the anime influences it began with.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Just don't talk about anything that's clearly anime and you'll be fine.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    There seems to be a lot of action-oriented cartoons and comedy cartoons aimed at adults, but are there any good cartoons that hit more psychological notes? Or is there just not enough of a market for cartoons for grownups that aren't comedies?

21stCentury on
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Four legs good, two legs bad!

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    There seems to be a lot of action-oriented cartoons and comedy cartoons aimed at adults, but are there any good cartoons that hit more psychological notes? Or is there just not enough of a market for cartoons for grownups that aren't comedies?
    In most cases you have to look at the European studios for those.
    edit: This is one of the recent French ones.
    The Illusionist

OldSlacker on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    tallgeeze wrote: »
    Watched the latest Sym-Bionic Titan this morning(DVR is the best!). Pretty good episode. I wonder if Genndy has enough time to wrap everything up. I can see where the show may be heading to a nice season finale cliffhanger, but with its cancellation I hope they can get some closer on it.

Steel was cracked me up when he threw his pistol.
    That was the 20th and final episode.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    IS Gendy under contract to develop for cartoon network? It seems like with the fanbase his shows have and with CN cancelling them before they are "finished" that he might have better luck shopping an idea somwhere else.

Kind of like how Joss Whedon's Fox shows keep getting canceled. (I think Ive heard that he did have a contract to develop for Fox)

Bedlam on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited April 2011
    Just so we're clear, can we get an edict on western properties given to eastern animation studios, such as the X-Men anime, or this upcoming Mass Effect thing?

Those are fine, but they can't be used as an excuse to post long clips of actual anime "for comparison" or anything like that.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Owlbat wrote: »
    So I just finished the first season of Wakfu in a super marathon last night. I am a happy person.

Also, what day are they showing new episodes?

Wakfu airs every saturday morning in France then it's put on the official website until the next episode airs.

Which mean the latest episode came out today.

Also I know I said it in the last thread, but there won't be a new episode on easter break - we'll be getting the Ogrest special instead.

Dac Vin on
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Too late, that video in the last thread already made me a pedo.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Genndy needs to go back to school to learn how to draw emotive human faces. I love his creature art, but all of his normal characters are limited to eyes: open/closed/glaring + mouth: neutral/grinning/grimacing.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    that's some ship of Theseus shit right there.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    That's interesting, but I wonder how many will get the references in that show.

I expect wikipedia hits from Japan going up about 5% after an episode airs.

edit: Thinking about it makes me laugh. A Pimp Named Slickback-san

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I can't help but wonder if there's a message board in Japan somewhere where they're bitching about how the Japanese dub ruins the original.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    happens all around the world with bad hollywood movie dubs.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I'm almost kinda glad I never got around to checking out Titan now that I know it didn't get anything close to a proper ending.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I'm almost kinda glad I never got around to checking out Titan now that I know it didn't get anything close to a proper ending.

Isn't it, like, the third series by Tartakovsky without anything close to a proper ending?

You'd think by now, it'd have stopped being surprising.

21stCentury on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I can't help but wonder if there's a message board in Japan somewhere where they're bitching about how the Japanese dub ruins the original.

happened with Call of Duty.

Oh and hey, they pulled a Funimation: http://www.joystiq.com/2010/11/03/call-of-duty-black-ops-edited-for-japanese-audience/

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I don't understand that logic. There are twenty awesome episodes out there that are mostly self-contained.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I don't understand that logic. There are twenty awesome episodes out there that are mostly self-contained.

I'm the type that tends to get invested in characters/running plotlines very easily and when shows end like that I get very frustrated.

I was running under the impression that the show was more continuity-focused than you'e implying, though.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Ahahaha the Japanese Boondocks theme is excellent

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Oh wow, listening to that Japanese dub
    so, so, so many references that would go straight over the average Japanese person's head.

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I miss Disney Afternoon.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

I'm the type that tends to get invested in characters/running plotlines very easily and when shows end like that I get very frustrated.

I was running under the impression that the show was more continuity-focused than you'e implying, though.

It has a really neat mythology but it is very heavily influenced by monster-of-the-week shows like super sentai and ultraman. Continuity does show up in ways like parts of the city that are destroyed in previous episodes are still destroyed in subsequent episodes and so forth, but it's definitely not a show that can't be picked up halfway through.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    LaliluleloLalilulelo Richmond, VARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

Isn't it, like, the third series by Tartakovsky without anything close to a proper ending?

You'd think by now, it'd have stopped being surprising.

That's why I was reluctant to even watch Titan. I was already saddened by the lack of closure to Samurai Jack. :(

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.