As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

What's a cheap but good tablet for drawing a webcome?

flmichaelflmichael Registered User regular
edited April 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey, I was hoping you guys could help me pick a good, but decently priced drawing tablet that works on a Mac and would be good for projects such as drawing a web comic. I am getting a summer job, and I like to save up for one nice thing while I work to keep me excited about working, so I figured I'd get a drawing tablet and develop an idea I have for a web comic. I'm thinking in the $50 - $200 price range, but keep in mind that I'm not looking to do much with it besides draw a web comic. Thanks in advance for the help.

flmichael on

• AwkAwk Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Affordable and gets the job done:
    http://www.wacom.com/bamboo/

Fancier and more precise unit:
    http://www.wacom.com/intuos/

Awk on
  • ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'll second the Bamboo; got one of those a few years ago and have been very happy with it, and Wacom will support the thing until the Earth spirals into the sun.

Zibblsnrt on
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    My girlfriend has an Intuos 4 and loves it, but it might have more features than you need.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • peticanoepeticanoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I have the last-model Bamboo (the non-touch enabled one) and it worked pretty well when I was working digitally. I've since gone to pencils/inks but I would still recommend a Bamboo for starting out and maybe getting an Intuos once you're sure you're going to get your money's worth out of it.

peticanoe on
    comics monday to friday
    Rolo wrote:
    what's the deal with nerds and cthulu
    when C'thulhu rises all those jocks will finally get what's coming to them
  • flmichaelflmichael Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    What's the difference between touch and pen? If I just want to draw with a stylus, does that mean I'm fine with just the pen model?

flmichael on
  • FletcherFletcher Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah you'd be fine with just the pen one. I use a pen-only bamboo and it is still working just as well after almost 3 years. Haven't even had to replace a pen nib yet!

I think the touch one means that you can just use the pen OR switch to your finger for scrolling etc?

I found it really easy to get used to just using the pen instead of a mouse, so it isn't much of a drawback. It's just preference, really.

Fletcher on
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Keep in mind: the Bamboo Touch only supports touch with your finger, the Bamboo Pen only supports the pen and has 512 levels of pressure sensitivity which is enough for casual work while the Bamboo Pen and Touch supports both touch and a pen and it has 1024 levels of pressure sensitivity. There are three different models, at least officially, so be careful when you're looking.

Sarksus on
  • flmichaelflmichael Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, I'm going to get the pen one. I don't think I need to scroll with my fingers. Just to clarify I'm actually looking at what I think I am, this is the same type of device that Mike uses to draw PA? I'm assuming he uses a different brand and better model, but it's the same type of device right?

flmichael on
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I've got the first gen bamboo fun which has the stylus, mouse, 512 levels of pressure sensitivity, and a few extra pen nibs. I've been using it since about 2007 and it still works great.

It doesn't have the tilt sensitivity, and you'll need to zoom in at least 100% to be able to draw a proper line without it going a little wonky, but it's great for a beginner.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    flmichael wrote: »
    Just to clarify I'm actually looking at what I think I am, this is the same type of device that Mike uses to draw PA? I'm assuming he uses a different brand and better model, but it's the same type of device right?

Yup

wonderpug on
  • FletcherFletcher Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    flmichael wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm going to get the pen one. I don't think I need to scroll with my fingers. Just to clarify I'm actually looking at what I think I am, this is the same type of device that Mike uses to draw PA? I'm assuming he uses a different brand and better model, but it's the same type of device right?

Yeah, he doesn't use any kind of crazy futuristic devices for drawing PA as far as I've seen

I'd assume he has a larger, upscale Wacom model (possibly a Wacom Intuos, as I haven't seen him drawing on a tablet screen like the Cintiq would allow)

Pretty much any digital artist will probably be using a Wacom if you look for information on their tablet preferences. And if they aren't, they'll probably be quick to say something like "I know Wacoms are supposed to be better, but I have gotten used to this weird tablet so I'm not changing"

I realize that I sound like a shill for Wacom, but I have seriously never had a single problem with my Bamboo that wasn't caused by me (i.e. spilling drinks on it).

Fletcher on
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I've been using my Bamboo every single weekday for 10+ hrs for over 4 years now. It's awesome and I've never had issues with it.

MagicToaster on