As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

League of Legends: Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate

CutfangCutfang Dancing BagelWalessssssssRegistered User regular
edited April 2011 in Games and Technology
personalTitle.png

League of Legends
Think of it as an RTS where you only control the heroic commander. You have your pick of the beefy, the sneaky, the kind that sets up turrets and hangs back. Your aim is to destroy the enemy's HQ and intervening towers. The AI sends out waves of minions to act as cannon fodder and will give you delicious gold when killed, which is used to buy items and customise your champion in all manner of ways.
It's free to play; but champions are unlocked with real money or in-game points.

Have you scored a Pentakill? Also in-game screenshots
I5r0s.jpg
2115f11.jpg
i4qxjt.jpg
Guuuys.jpg
ppppppentakill.jpg

Get on ventrilo if you want to play games with fellow PA'ers. The details are in the stickied vent thread. We are more than happy to give advice and play games no matter how new you are.

Alternatively you can join the PA chat room.Click the chat rooms panel in the bottom right, click the speech bubble with a plus next to it, type in Penny Arcade. when the window opens, click the gear in the top right of the window and check the box "Autojoin on Startup."

Helpful links for those who wish to learn more
leagueoflegends.com, the game database provided by Riot (who make the game).
leaguecraft.com, there are a lot of fan sites out there with general information and builds. This is just one; and, it is slow and full of ads. Regardless of where you look for builds keep in mind, most of them make assumptions that are not clearly conveyed and there are a lot that are just plain bad. Tread lightly.
KillerCodeMonkey's wiki, add your brilliant shit to it.
Game mechanic shit, stuff like how attacks and magic and things work.
Rune break-dancing, good info about what runes you should buy.

Here is a list of live streams. They are quite nice for picking up tricks and build orders. My personal favourite is Guardsman Bob.

THE BUSY-BUSTER CODES - USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
When you've got the client open, type

"Left, Right, Left, Right, Down, Down, Up, Up, 3 then 4"

Alternatively

"CTRL+L --> [ javascript:setServerStatus(1) ]"

Again, use them at your own risk.

IF YOU'RE GOING TO SPEND REAL CASH DOLLA MONIES FOR CHAMPIONS
Zoelef wrote: »
Drop $20 for the Retail Box (Amazon, Best Buy, GameSpot, Newegg, Target, and Wal-Mart typically have this) It gives you $10 in Riot Points, take those, then buy $10 in Riot Points and $5 in Riot Points. Spend all of them on the second champ pack.

That's $35 for 40 champs permanently unlocked; none of the post-40 have ever been in a bundle AFAIK.
Cutfang wrote: »
Q: How can I get champions and save money?
A: You won't have to spend a cent if you simply play games and earn enough IP to buy them all. If, however, you wish to hasten the process you may buy champions with real money. The most cost effective way to buy champions is by purchasing the two bundles on offer.
For $45 you can buy 6380 Riot Points, which are used to buy champions and skins. 3900 of those points gets you the Digital Collector's Pack, which contains 20 champions and includes 1380 Riot Points (huh?). If you were to buy the champions individually it would cost 37800 IP or 9620 RP. The Digital Collector's pack can also be bought in stores or online as a boxed copy, which may save you a significant amount of money.
3410 Riot Points gets you the champions bundle. This contains some more expensive champions. Bought individually they would cost 60750 IP or 14350 RP (ish).
This leaves you with 450 RP, enough to buy yourself a single skin!

Here is a list of all the champions available. Not for the weak of bandwidth.

Valiantine has a lovely spreadsheet that you can add your summoner name to. It is horrifyingly large.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Ap5qFqD3oLKndHNfOGJ1VFNZVVZ6c1NtZVktdXpsTVE&hl=en&authkey=CJPuh4wG#gid=0

Dancing Bagel
Cutfang on

• Options
    CutfangCutfang Dancing Bagel WalessssssssRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Does anyone know how to resize images with forum code? Damn thing is huge.

Cutfang on
    Dancing Bagel
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    what do you call a bad bagel

ANSWER

BADGEL

heh

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I bought Udyr and Akali, and would like to know what items you build on them

On Akali, I get Longsword/Sheen/Ragefire/Lichblade/Deathcap - I was considering switching out the longsword with +damage runes

On Udyr, I try to build tanky with Heart of Gold/whichever other tanky item is needed/Atmas. I heard Triforce is pretty solid on him. Am I missing any other vital items for semi-tanky Udyr? Also, rune suggestions? (I run him with my Noc jungle page currently)

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    so... i was trying to figure out a build... and did a custom game by myself vs. shen... and finished it in about 25 minutes... and got 80xp and 55ip. Which is a better time investment for farming IP than messing with other people... but I don't learn anything from it.

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So, tanky DPS changes look to be fantastic. Not as good as magma chamber or replays, but still great.

zerg rush on
  • Options
    SaphierSaphier Aka Errant Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hmm, according to that list Sona is the easiest champion in the game, being the only one earning just 2 bars for difficulty.

Saphier on
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

On Akali, I get Longsword/Sheen/Ragefire/Lichblade/Deathcap - I was considering switching out the longsword with +damage runes

On Udyr, I try to build tanky with Heart of Gold/whichever other tanky item is needed/Atmas. I heard Triforce is pretty solid on him. Am I missing any other vital items for semi-tanky Udyr? Also, rune suggestions? (I run him with my Noc jungle page currently)

For Udyr, Wriggles/Merc's if there are stuns/Aegis is a really solid start and will make you pretty tanky mid game. Grab a HoG if they have auto attacker or just because and then build tanky based on who is kicking your ass or will be soon. Triforce or Madred's are both good for additional damage, but I rarely build them because by the time I feel like I'm tanky enough the game is usually over.

I've been doing Health/Attack Speed/Mana Regen per level/Magic Resist per level. Although I just need one more move speed quint and then I'm going to try those.

Drool on
  • Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Wow... the three champs I've picked to play so far have very high difficulty... Jax, Swain and Cass. Waiting for my box set to arrive (and buy the other bundle) so I can try shaco, also highest difficulty. Shaco looks fun.

e: Also, I'm level 18 now... 2 more levels until I can purchase big boy runes. Might hold off on Cass to buy runes... might not... haven't decided. (haven't bought Cass yet, but I plan to.)

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I learned lesson #1 as Udyr: His normal movement speed is fucking slow (390 with boots 2). Should I get boots 3 for him? I can't spam bear ALL the time, especially early to mid-game where 75 Mana is a fucking lot (I only put one point in bear stance)

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    His move speed isn't that slow. It's on par with most tanks and is faster than most carries. Boots 3 is usually a bad idea on most champs if you don't need Merc's I would get cooldown or dodge boots, or Berzerker's if you are dealing the damage for your team.

If you really want to go fast spec 0/15/15 and get move speed quints. You can achieve crazy speed with level 5 bear. However this will make you pretty low health when you jungle. I find I have to b before red usually anyway, but I don't mind because I like to have boots for my first gank.

Drool on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Alright I'll stick with treads then for the moment. It was just frustrating that last game there was this Teemo dancing around in front of my nose and I never really could catch him. Didn't matter much though because he couldn't really touch me either.

My current skill order is Phoenix > Turtle > P > Bear > max P > max T > max Tiger > Bear 3. Bear stance is last because you benefit the least from leveling it up (well according to the guide I read, although I kinda agree with that). I prefer Phoenix to Tiger at the moment because I go tanky, although to my knowledge Tiger becomes stronger late game when you get some damage items.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I love the smell of a new thread in the morning.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

I like to start with Doran's Blade on Akali; the extra health makes a difference early on. Just make sure you get both passives right from the start; which means at least +1 damage from runes / masteries and a lot of +ability power.

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    TrusTrus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    How to raise your elo:

Play Zilean

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Dyvion wrote: »
    Wow... the three champs I've picked to play so far have very high difficulty... Jax, Swain and Cass. Waiting for my box set to arrive (and buy the other bundle) so I can try shaco, also highest difficulty. Shaco looks fun.

e: Also, I'm level 18 now... 2 more levels until I can purchase big boy runes. Might hold off on Cass to buy runes... might not... haven't decided. (haven't bought Cass yet, but I plan to.)

A lot of those are lies though. Like Karthus/Twitch/Urgot being 80 difficulty. Or Tristana being only 30 difficulty.

Also, Jax and Swain are kind of middling difficulty. Mages and Assassins take an inordinate number of the high difficulty spots, even though it feels the opposite. Leblanc, 90 difficulty is just someone you wander around and explode squishies with while stacking AP. Meanwhile Shen is 30 difficulty, requires constant map awareness, has a unique resource system to manage, trading off between damage/mitigation/CC, knowledge of initiation, awareness of your allies during teamfights, and is much harder to build.

zerg rush on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Mr Ray wrote: »

I like to start with Doran's Blade on Akali; the extra health makes a difference early on. Just make sure you get both passives right from the start; which means at least +1 damage from runes / masteries and a lot of +ability power.

Doran's Blade has given +10 damage for a couple of weeks now. You don't need anything but one of those to trigger it.

It's kind of silly in comparison to a longsword. +10 damage and a potion. Or +10 damage, 100 health, and 3% lifesteal. Not that longsword start wasn't always bad, but now it's even worse.

zerg rush on
  • Options
    MrOlettaMrOletta Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Had an epic game last night (unranked) with Olaf. I bought him a week or so ago and he's been a ton of fun.

My team: Olaf (me), Kennen, Gangplank, Veigar, Urgot
    Their team: Trundle, Lux, Morgana, Malphite, Corki

The game started off pretty crappy (2-9). I had an early jungle kill but that was about it. Worse was I got stuck top lane vs Corki because our top Kennen went to bottom lane 3v3 in some clusterfuck that was going on that involved all of my team mates dying.

Even worse was when we pushed their mid and got their tower, their Trundle/Malphite caught me sneaking his red buff and killed me (after I smited it and tried running away). Their Trundle /all chatted

"Fuck you, get the fuck out of my jungle."

That sent me into an Olaf rage and I started warded EVERYTHING (I bought 5 wards every trip to the fountain after that). Our team started turning things around and we started winning team fights. After we baron we pushed their top pretty hard.

Best part was the announcer screaming GODLIKE followed by the announcer's scathing QUADRAKILL that I was able to get with the team's help.

We pushed their top inhib/nexus and ended the game.

Me in my best Archer voice in /all chat right before the nexus blew:

"Trundle."
    "Trundle."
    "TRUNDLE!"
    "Fuck you."
    Olaf_12_1_7_quadra.png

MrOletta on
  • Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    As soon as my Win/Loss gets even I'm uninstalling this fucker.

It's a goddamn quest. I get within spitting distance and suddenly a giant shit pile of losses. Sending me back to where I was. It's like that poor bastard in hell that has to push the fucking boulder up a hill.

Even with premades the loses come raining down.

Mr.Sunshine on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    For Udyr I generally turn my first cloth armour into a Heart of Gold to get the gold rolling early and to provide a nice chunk of survivability early on as Turtle is expensive. If the enemy team has high hp champs like Vladimir/Singed/Mundo/Chogath then I will get a Madred's first and build it into a Bloodrazor late game. Generally I just build pure tank for the first 20-30 minutes as Udyr can win almost any battle of attrition and if he isn't burst down by the enemy team in the first 10 seconds or so will stick around to mop up low health survivors with Bear stance.

After playing around with Tiger and Phoenix I've settled on using Phoenix stance. Having an extra 220 damage every 3rd attack is incredibly strong at level 9 and if the enemy team isn't bursty I buy a Dagger or a Recurve Bow depending on what damage item I want just to abuse the awesome damage, like a Twisted Fate with twice the survivability.

edit: Forgot to mention I grab a Trinity Force middle gamsih if the enemy team has a lot of kitey champions or if we lack CC I'll rush a Phage.

Cutfang on
    Dancing Bagel
  • Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    How the double fuck do I initiate team fights as Cho'gath?

I've been rupturing until one hits, then charging in like a jackass and silencing whoever seems to have the most potential to harm my team, but after that I feel kinda useless.

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    MrOlettaMrOletta Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I think the trick with Cho'Gath is your model is so fucking huge when you have 6 stacks of ult that they can't click your carries and ultimately target you.

Also, I've been playing Sona and holy shit she's so much fun. I'm super squishy and don't have any escapes so I always take flash/tp now (used to take clarity/tp until a Jarvan repeatedly raped me).

I go tear -> boots 1 -> soulstealer, and as long as my team doesn't suck and I can rely on the carries getting kills, it's so easy to get 20 stacks on her. By the time the 10th stack rolls around, I generally have a lichbane and her Q hurts so much, not to mention the AOE healing that's going down every 2.5 seconds.

The bad part is if I have a shitty team I just have to cry in a corner as I can't do anything about it.

MrOletta on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Udyr poodyr

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    More like Prodyr.

Cutfang on
    Dancing Bagel
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Uh, how's Sheen on Udyr? With all that stance switching I guess you get some nice procs off of it, plus the extra Mana would come in really handy.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    ThaneThane Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    then you triforce and run around like a deranged weirdo stunning peeps left and right

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
  • Options
    ZoelefZoelef Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    MrOletta wrote: »
    I think the trick with Cho'Gath is your model is so fucking huge when you have 6 stacks of ult that they can't click your carries and ultimately target you.

Also, I've been playing Sona and holy shit she's so much fun. I'm super squishy and don't have any escapes so I always take flash/tp now (used to take clarity/tp until a Jarvan repeatedly raped me).

I go tear -> boots 1 -> soulstealer, and as long as my team doesn't suck and I can rely on the carries getting kills, it's so easy to get 20 stacks on her. By the time the 10th stack rolls around, I generally have a lichbane and her Q hurts so much, not to mention the AOE healing that's going down every 2.5 seconds.

The bad part is if I have a shitty team I just have to cry in a corner as I can't do anything about it.

My theorycrafting has her going 9/0/21 with going Tear (AA Staff late) --> CDR Boots --> Kindlegem --> Aegis --> SV

She's super-dependent on a deep mana pool and Tear is the most efficient solution.

Zoelef on
  • Options
    VaregaVarega Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    i'll need to play some games today.

Varega on
    League of Legends:Varega
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Oh, hey, new thread. I finally did it.
    rWJbk.jpg

Time to retire this account and start another one.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    i've only hit ten wins in a row on two occasions and one of them was 100% cassiopeia 8-)

unintentional on
  • Options
    rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    soooooo should I stick with Irelia?

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The Allistar win I didn't realize I was on a streak and was playing for fun - then I had to be totally carried by the rest of my premade.

Also, the last game, we won in 19 minutes. Good way to end.

I think I am going to screw around with Singed or something.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    soooooo should I stick with Irelia?

she's pretty great
    how are you skilling/itemizing her?

unintentional on
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Irelia is boring and overrated. Play someone fun instead.

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    also my thought on Nocturne is that he's really, really good
    and that sometimes when they make new characters they are going to be in the top 5% of characters
    and there isn't anything wrong with that

it just sucks that he's so fucking annoying to play against

unintentional on
  • Options
    PriestPriest Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    also my thought on Nocturne is that he's really, really good
    and that sometimes when they make new characters they are going to be in the top 5% of characters
    and there isn't anything wrong with that

it just sucks that he's so fucking annoying to play against

Not that Noc doesn't deserve a little tweaking in some aspects, but ya, I'm fine that some new champs are top 10%, as long as some champs are shit as well (Lee Sin.) If every champ was top 10% it'd all be about the new hotness. Thankfully it isn't. They really should have released an April Fools day champ for 8500 IP that was complete and utter rubbish, but worded his abilities like he was magnificently godlike. Then refunded everyone on saturday their wasted IP and drowned sorrows.

Priest on
  • Options
    WhiteSharkWhiteShark Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I feel like Noc is beyond the old top 10% and he encourages ridiculously passive play, moreso than even Eve thanks to one's inability to ward against him.

WhiteShark on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I still think it was literally impossible to ward against evelynn

like, it cost more money to your team than it prevented her team from getting

unintentional on
  • Options
    TracerBulletTracerBullet Spaceman Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The thing with Nocturne is that, like I said, he punishes stupid play immensely.

Like, if you're in a teamfight, and he hits you wiht his Q, the WORST thing you can do is move around, because then he has a lot of space to be at and still receive his ridiculous damage bonus.

He's kinda like a high-damage Shen, there's a good chance that Nocturne will be there if you're trying to gank someone, and if he shows up, you need to contend with the fact that he will IMMEDIATELY hit you with his fear(if he's good at least, R-->E-->Q is so powerful, it's almost impossible to escape it)

TracerBullet on
  • Options
    TracerBulletTracerBullet Spaceman Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    WhiteShark wrote: »
    I feel like Noc is beyond the old top 10% and he encourages ridiculously passive play, moreso than even Eve thanks to one's inability to ward against him.

But you CAN ward against him, you just need to ward further out than normal.

His R's range is approximately the length of 3/4 the river. If you were to ward that bush next to baron, instead of baron himself, then you'll probably see him coming.

And of course it's always a good idea to ward the enemy jungle. You have to provide yourself the ability to see him. And maybe stay NEXT to your bushes, because if he uses darkness, he only has 4 seconds to click on you, but he has to be able to see you for it.

He is an assassin, so if you're a squishy character, you need to be on point. And trust me, from playing him, it's SUPER easy to have someone just waste your ultimate, it happens constantly.

I mean, all the times I've swooped in and wrecked someone with Nocturne, they were honestly being dumb. Then they bitch because they were alone in a lane that was pushed to timbuk 2

TracerBullet on
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    bae bae

what's with the two year old beta logo?

TyrantCow on