As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I can't believe no one made a thread about this [Free Pokémon TCG Game!]

Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
edited April 2011 in Games and Technology
Like it says on the tin.

http://www.pokemontcg.com/

Yes, it is official, and in beta.

Yes, it is a flash game, but it is also a very well done flash client.

Yes, it is ugly, but you can dress up your duder.

Yes, if you buy a deck in real life you get to use it. No, the deck builder option doesn't work yet.

Yes, the full version is coming out later this month.

vXxEU.png

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
Xenogears of Bore on

• KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I should also point out you can play it without buying any physical cards at all.

You get grass, water and fire decks to begin with and unlock cards for it as you play. Buying physical cards looks like it will let you unlock the digital versions.

Also the grass deck is the bestest deck.

Kelor on
  • SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Oh shit. Oh shit awesome.

[EDIT] I was mad into Pokemon cards when I was a kid. I wonder if I can remember my old decks so I can recreate them.

SirUltimos on
  • DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Does it have a tutorial? I collected the cards when I was younger but never played the actual game.

Dunxco on
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    For old time's sake

Man, I loved the Pokemon TCG when I was a kid, I actually made a decent deck out of the random booster packs/starter decks/presents, although I think it got thrown out :(

So, how far back does/will the card selection go?

PaperLuigi44 on
    edited April 2011
    Dunxco wrote: »
    Does it have a tutorial? I collected the cards when I was younger but never played the actual game.

It has a list of stages you go through step by step and will tell you "hey, you still haven't played an energy card/have an evolvable pokemon/attacked yet this turn."

And hey, it's free. There's a difficulty select too.

I'd suggest the grass deck to start with just because the starter pokemon gain health back or put the other side to sleep. Except Caterpie. And there are like four in there, except they get traded out later for Wigglytuffs I think. Just watch out for the second dude, he's a nightmare to beat even with the water deck.

I'm not sure how old the cards are, I only ever owned the original set of cards when I was a kid but the free decks have Gold/Silver and Ruby/Sapphire starters in there.

Kelor on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Nope, caterpie's stay because as you go up the chain you get metapods and butterfrees.

Xenogears of Bore on
    edited April 2011
    aaaand it just went down for maintenance!

Xenogears of Bore on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I think it was actually mentioned in one of the pokemon threads a while back, but I don't know if it was up then.

I had a devil of a time against the first guy's chanseys, but other than that, it was pretty smooth sailing except for the people with fighting decks hard hitting mahikutas and onixes

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2011
    I believe it was too as its been up since the beginning of march.

That still does not excuse the fact that no one made a thread about it.

Pokémon TCG is stupidly addictive. It's got the best parts of Magic and Yu-Gi-Oh rolled into one, and it tends to go faster than either.

The only genuine complaint I can level on it is that it is extremely chance orientated. Coin flips can own you.

Xenogears of Bore on
    edited April 2011
    Tails never fails.

No I'm serious. Pick tails to see who goes first.

Kelor on
  • DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I never bothered to learn how the card game actually worked when I was younger.

I just collected them

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
    edited April 2011
    You'd be amazed how common that is especially for people of a certain age.

I got a starter deck for free with a NP subscription and only bought a few packs after that. I did get a Charizard in my third pack ever and sold it for an extreme amount of money.

Xenogears of Bore on
    edited April 2011
    The GBA card game uh.....game was fantastic. I played the hell out of that.

The actual cards I played, but it was more of a "oh man I dig Blastoise and other different pokemans, I'm going to use those" rather than that one dude at school who would beat you five or six turns in.

Then it got banned because the school had to contact that kid's parents because he got busted stealing someone's shiny charizard.

Kelor on
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    You haven't lived if your school didn't have a TCG craze that eventually got banned.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    True that. Also, glad to see a default grass deck that doesn't suck.

Mechanical on
    edited April 2011
    As much as I like the grass deck, something in me dies a little when I draw a hand where I have only three Caterpies.

They seem to have reset all the progress from when I played it earlier. I'd made it to the second league and now I'm back to the beginning again.

It's an amazing piece of marketing though, since it's got the free decks to get kids hooked then when they want something new the parents go out and get the cards so they can play with friends or the online game since you get the digital versions.

You're practically losing money if you don't buy them!

Kelor on
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    This made me look at my old card collection. The old cards had pretty cool art. I never did get a Charizard though. Fucking bullshit. I have a Dark one but who cares you know? That one wasn't rare. I wanted the normal one. Then there's random ones I never got, like Nidoking. How did I get guys like Chansey (Holo, but I assume they all are) but I couldn't get Nidoking? Pretty much every fossil pack card I have is first edition because this one store just kept getting in shipments with the first edition mark. Like even when other stores stopped they still had first editions for a few months. I have a lot of japanese cards too actually. I don't even remember how I got some of them. Like I have the Misty's Tears one that got changed because you can see some side-boob in the original art. You'd also have to be an asshole to play the ancient mew card in a game. You can't even read it because it's all in hieroglyphics and shit. You'd have to be some kind of jerk.

Anyway grass deck in this was pretty useful. I did the first 3 battles with it. The computer got super unlucky with sleep and I actually won the first round with just my starting Jigglypuff. He never broke out of sleep until it was too late.

Gilder on
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Happy Punch is bullshit.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
    edited April 2011
    Meganium is okay, but man Torterra just destroys worlds once you get him on the table.

Kelor on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2011
    Can I still make kids cry with Haymaker?

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    edited April 2011
    I have seen no Hitmonchans, but I did almost lose to a Hitmonlee that was doing a truckload of damage.

Kelor on
  • MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Glad to see bench-striking is still alive and well with the water deck.

Mechanical on
    edited April 2011
    The AI is very poor in that regard. They REALLY need to reconsider playing up retreat as such a bad thing. The computer could have easily retreated its shitty pokémon and brought in Metang to KO Vaporeon, but decided to let me just finish off the two benchees for the win. Honestly, the TCG is not a good game and never has been. But this online presentation is pretty solid.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    edited April 2011

Upon further inspection it does in fact have a tutorial.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

Upon further inspection it does in fact have a tutorial.

It's pretty bare-bones though. Like it only mentions stadium cards but doesn't actually have you use one. Stuff like that. You get tokens or something for doing them, but the one for status effect explanation is broken. It acts like it's supposed to keep going after confusion but it isn't.

Gilder on
    edited April 2011
    beta product and all.

I swear though the real hard mode when the game is launched should be the beta version with no deck builder.

Some of those decks would be much, much better without the forced displacement of certain cards.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Can you customize decks at all?

And can you play against other people or just the computer?

I played two matches with the fire deck and it seems pretty ok. I remember buying a starter deck during first edition once and that was it until now.

Bedlam on
    edited April 2011
    I get cards after beating people, but the deck builder is not up yet.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The games do seem to be quite influenced by luck. I lost one match because the guy got to set up 2 Onix that just one shot everything I could put up, and I couldn't do enough damage to stop them. Rematch, and he tried the same thing again, but evidently got zero energy cards and I sweeped with Growlithe. And don't get me started on the one match where I drew 10+ energy cards...

Still, oddly fun and addicting. I love the checklist they give you. I'm a notorious scatterbrain, forgetting I can do this and that in a turn, so it's great they keep track.

And... looks like the site went down. Pity, I was on a roll.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • PeffPeff Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

I was just getting into it :(

Peff on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2011
    The games do seem to be quite influenced by luck. I lost one match because the guy got to set up 2 Onix that just one shot everything I could put up, and I couldn't do enough damage to stop them. Rematch, and he tried the same thing again, but evidently got zero energy cards and I sweeped with Growlithe. And don't get me started on the one match where I drew 10+ energy cards...

Still, oddly fun and addicting. I love the checklist they give you. I'm a notorious scatterbrain, forgetting I can do this and that in a turn, so it's great they keep track.

Well that's the nature of card games. I think 60 cards was the limit in Pokemon and you start with....seven? I haven't really payed attention.

If you're constructing the deck you can at least tinker with it to increase your chances of drawing the cards you want, adding in Bills other cards that let you draw more additional cards. Once the deck builder is up and running you could cut some of the more less beneficial cards out.

I think the water deck has a trainer card that lets you discard an energy card to draw four, which is super good.

Kelor on
  • DourinDourin Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Oh, man. And here I thought I was done forever with the Pokémon TCG...
    You haven't lived if your school didn't have a TCG craze that eventually got banned.

I'm pretty proud that I was actually one of 3 kids at my school who started the weekly Pokémon TCG afterschool activity before its eventual ban. I believe ours was banned because of too much unsportsmanlike play. Lots of accusations of cheating.

Though nothing beats the time I got accused of kicking my opponent (who was probably 5 years younger than myself) at the local mall tournament.
    The only thing I kicked was his ASS!

God, this is bringing back some memories. Not related to TCG, but I'm also reminded of a Pokémon video game mall tournament where I nearly beat a kid who had a hacked team of all Mews. Apparently they weren't checking peoples' game carts prior to tournament entry, but at least they let me enter again afterwards, and I believe he was kicked from the tournament.

That was also the same tournament that I made the worst card trade of my life. Traded off a mint Ancient Mew (the super rare japanese ones before all those new ones came out) for 6 promo Jigglypuffs to a guy who was running the event and had a stack of hundreds of those Jigglies. God I was a dumb kid. The Mew was going for $100+ on ebay at the time. ::facepalm::

Dourin on
  • Penguin_OtakuPenguin_Otaku Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Why can't we play against eachother? My only complaint so far.

Penguin_Otaku on
    sig-1.jpg
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I believe its just for the beta that you can't play each other.

Goose! on
  • Penguin_OtakuPenguin_Otaku Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Y CANT WE PLAY EACHOTHER

Penguin_Otaku on
    sig-1.jpg
    edited April 2011
    Been playing this today, it's just as fun as I remember, even if luck is a pretty big factor.
    Fire deck rules, all other decks drool.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

It was like a friggin black market.

When I lived in Chicago it was Star Wars TCG. An organization I originally rose through the ranks to become a high ranking member of.

Then I moved to Texas and had to make the transition into Pokemon TCG. A quick mall trip with my parents turned me into the absolute kingpin, and at one point I was selling cards for cash.

It was like the crack days.

edit: I had thousands of cards, in english and Japanese. I didn't even know how the damn game worked.

If only I had saved the money I'd probably be rich today. Instead I was the most ballinous 12 year old around.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
    edited April 2011
    Our high school also had a M:TG craze in, year 10, I think, which affected everyone in my group save myself and one of my friends. It was strange seeing the craze from the outside, especially at that time in school life and especially with the 'cool' kids getting into it.

Also, this game is made even better while having old GB Pokemon TCG music on while playing it.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    This looks sick. Apple? Shame on you for no ipad flash support.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
    edited April 2011
    Anyone else frequently having trouble logging in? Sometimes it works instantly and other times it just stays in limbo.

PaperLuigi44 on