As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WWE All-Stars] King of the Ring, anyone?

• Options
    lpburk2lpburk2 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So I went to Gamestop after work yesterday to pick up the used copy of WWE All Stars they were holding for me. I assumed since the game has only been out a few weeks, I'd get a case in at least somewhat decent shape. How foolish of me! No, they tried to give one of their generic black cases. I don't know why this set me off so badly, but I promptly told the clerk, "Pass." It probably came out a little angrier than I meant for it to sound.

So unfortunately, I am unable to sign the contract that will merge my stable of custom wrestlers with the upstanding organization of Penny Arcade at this time. Soon, though. Very soon.

lpburk2 on
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Isn't the used only like $5 cheaper?

I mean, really.

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    It was fifteen cheaper, but don't forget the real added value of the "buy 2, get 1 free."

EDIT: WHOOOOOOOOO!

lpburk2 on
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    lpburk2 wrote: »
    It was fifteen cheaper, but don't forget the real added value of the "buy 2, get 1 free."

God I hate Gamestop.

That is a good deal, though, so, yes, your point is made.

I actually tried to get a copy of Vanquish this week when I got All-stars and it was a measly $5 difference.

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

Nature Boy?

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    edited April 2011
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

Nature Boy?

Diamonds are forever, and so are the Four Horsemen!

lpburk2 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Apparently they have Flair hair in the CaW

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I really need to get my shit together and get recording equipment. We have had some fun matches that I am sure some here would like to see.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Man I haven't watched or been interested in wrestling since high school, but this game looks hells of fun.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    PizzleStixxPizzleStixx Parp? Burnett? Really? UghRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So I found the manager for the American Juggernauts:
    flag-girl.jpg

Woo!

american-flag.jpg

edit - I hope they put out Hacksaw as DLC, that will make it easier for my character to be over the top with red, white, and blue!

PizzleStixx on
    PizForum-Whalers-2.jpg
  • Options
    puffycowpuffycow Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I am glad I am your partner with that manager Piz.

puffycow on
    FrankForum-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Gonna tag team the manager?

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    edited April 2011
    Handicap match.

puffycow on
    FrankForum-1.jpg
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So from watching the stream of Wednesday Night Fights this looks like it plays very similarly to the AKI N64 games and those were some of the finest multiplayer gaming ever made.

How close is it?

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I have obtained the game and wish to join! I'm on the XBox under the name "lpburk2."

Whether you like it, or don't like it, sit down and look at it, 'cause it's the best . . . thing . . . going . . . . TODAY. WHOOOOOO!

lpburk2 on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So the game decided that the Cena/HHH elimination match I have before Orton for the belt is unbeatable. I could barely get a 2 count on Cena and he would reverse my finisher. I had Bret Hart. I'll just try again in the morning.

Algertman on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Aren't finishers unreversable?

You know what isn't reversible? A chair to the face.
    Note: In game, a chair shot may very well be reversible.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Finishers are reversible in the sense that you can stop the finisher grapple by either punching the opponent or hitting left bumper (360) to reverse the actual grapple).

And yea, chair shots are reversible.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    People keep comparing this to the AKI games, but the AKI games were more sim/realistic games and this seems super-arcadey, so is it really that similar?

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    People keep comparing this to the AKI games, but the AKI games were more sim/realistic games and this seems super-arcadey, so is it really that similar?

Yes, it is similar. Minus all the over the top stuff, it plays pretty close to AKI.

Light and strong grapples/strikes. Most finishers have to be grappled (how you needed a strong grapple and then flick the stick on the N64). It is almost as much fun as the N64 games (almost because those games had all the great guys from back in the day).

The most fun in this game is just having 4 player elimination matches (just like No Mercy).

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    After playing the demo at my friends house we have all decided this is the best wrestling game since 06. And I am picking it up tomorrow

Mostly because it has slow motion and drop kicks out of the ring

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I dunno, watching some matches online this doesn't seem like No Mercy at all.

I mean, yeah, strikes and grapples work in a similar way but at it's core No Mercy is a sim. The severe amount of no-selling in this game is one of many big differences.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Lpburk, I'll add you tonight. I saw that you requested me but I had no idea who you were :)

puffycow on
    FrankForum-1.jpg
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I dunno, watching some matches online this doesn't seem like No Mercy at all.

I mean, yeah, strikes and grapples work in a similar way but at it's core No Mercy is a sim. The severe amount of no-selling in this game is one of many big differences.

In this game Hogan has a finger wagging no-sell animation - this is the ultimate wrestling sim.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Okay, I admit defeat. I cannot play as a grappler at all. I've got up to the Excellence in Execution Fantasy Warfare match and I'm stuck. As either Hart or Edge I get destroyed by the computer. I think my main problem is I cannot time grapple counters (and I'm fairly sketchy on strike counters as is). What's the relationship between the counter icon appearing on screen and successfully countering as as far as I can tell it is completely random.

Also what's the connection between inputting attacks and sucesfully countering (i.e. if you are spamming trike attacks when you get grappled can you still attempt to counter at the appropriate time).

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Been getting all nostalgic re: my childhood and have been watching a shitton of WWE documentaries on Netflix. Gave this game's demo a shot... not sure if want. Kinda got the swing of things with Warrior, but it seems like the AI rubberbands or something... like you're doing real good, then you suddenly lose.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    puffycow wrote: »
    Lpburk, I'll add you tonight. I saw that you requested me but I had no idea who you were :)

I'm a stylin', profilin', limo-ridin' son of a gun! WHOOOOOOOOO!

lpburk2 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Been getting all nostalgic re: my childhood and have been watching a shitton of WWE documentaries on Netflix. Gave this game's demo a shot... not sure if want. Kinda got the swing of things with Warrior, but it seems like the AI rubberbands or something... like you're doing real good, then you suddenly lose.

The AI seems to have a standard "if you try the same move too many times I will counter the shit out of you" logic which can be hard to get around as a brawler character as just by spamming quick combos you can get the computer down to half health pretty quickly but then the computer 'wises up'. So you've got to mix it up, through in a few grapples and top turn buckle moves. Also it can be that the computer has charged up its signature move bar which will obviously allow it to hit high health damage moves if you aren't careful.

Alistair Hutton on

• Options
    edited April 2011
    Okay, I admit defeat. I cannot play as a grappler at all. I've got up to the Excellence in Execution Fantasy Warfare match and I'm stuck. As either Hart or Edge I get destroyed by the computer. I think my main problem is I cannot time grapple counters (and I'm fairly sketchy on strike counters as is). What's the relationship between the counter icon appearing on screen and successfully countering as as far as I can tell it is completely random.

Also what's the connection between inputting attacks and sucesfully countering (i.e. if you are spamming trike attacks when you get grappled can you still attempt to counter at the appropriate time).

From what I noticed is if you see the icon appear for a reversal, you are already too late. You pretty much need to know when to press it so you are pressing the RB (R1) as the icon appears.

As for counter a grapple while striking, I don't think that the strike buttons affect the reversal but I could be wrong. I'll try to test that at some point.

The best advice I could give you is to learn each move and remember when to counter.

puffycow on
    FrankForum-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    puffycow wrote: »

From what I noticed is if you see the icon appear for a reversal, you are already too late. You pretty much need to know when to press it so you are pressing the RB (R1) as the icon appears.

As for counter a grapple while striking, I don't think that the strike buttons affect the reversal but I could be wrong. I'll try to test that at some point.

The best advice I could give you is to learn each move and remember when to counter.

Ok I'm glad to get confirmation that the reversal icon appearing is really the game saying you are too damn late.

Alistair Hutton on

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    redfield85 wrote: »

Yes, it is similar. Minus all the over the top stuff, it plays pretty close to AKI.

Light and strong grapples/strikes. Most finishers have to be grappled (how you needed a strong grapple and then flick the stick on the N64). It is almost as much fun as the N64 games (almost because those games had all the great guys from back in the day).

The most fun in this game is just having 4 player elimination matches (just like No Mercy).

If you play the Japanese AKI games you'll find them just as fun despite having no one you'll ever recognize in them.

That engine is perfect. It even makes the barebones but over the top wrasslin of DEF JAM 1 extremely fun.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    DEF JAM 1&2 were so awesome... then they went and ruined it :(

DEF JAM 2 is one of the best fightin' games ever.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Had this put on my facebook page by THQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYERXUzidMo

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    edited April 2011
    I would really like a video for chain grapples.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    redfield85 wrote: »
    I would really like a video for chain grapples.

I second this.

puffycow on
    FrankForum-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    OK, beaten The Edge/Bret fight but the Hogan/Cena confrontation is bullshit. Cena wrecks me every time.

Alistair Hutton on

• Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I beat him first try. I've noticed this. AI has a tendency to counter everything at the start of the match. After I get them down to orange they seem to quit that.

Algertman on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I went on an AKI kick yesterday and picked up Def Jam: Vendetta and Ultimate Muscle (thanks to Gamestop's "buy 2, get 2 free" sale). I've got a fever, and the only cure is more wrestling, apparently.

So who's going to walk that aisle, and bring the challenge . . . . WHOOOOO! . . . . . to Greensboro, North Carolina's own lpburk2 on All Stars?

lpburk2 on
  • Options
    NaloutoNalouto Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I went on an AKI kick yesterday and picked up Def Jam: Vendetta and Ultimate Muscle (thanks to Gamestop's "buy 2, get 2 free" sale). I've got a fever, and the only cure is more wrestling, apparently.

So who's going to walk that aisle, and bring the challenge . . . . WHOOOOO! . . . . . to Greensboro, North Carolina's own lpburk2 on All Stars?

I had forgotten how awesome Ultimate Muscle was <3

Nalouto on
    :winky:
  • Options
    pawa24pawa24 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Not impressed with this game. Its fun but not very.

pawa24 on