As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I just got an Amiga 500, and I know damn near nothing about it

2»

• Options
    eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    desc wrote: »
    I'd also second a few of the games already mentioned, New Zealand Story, Rainbow Islands, Hunted

(Man I wish I still had my A500 :( )

MOTHERFUCKINGKIWIBASTARDS

Second most famous cheat code in the history of video games!

Ok, I need to quit this thread now and get back to work...

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Find a second (or third or fourth) joystick on eBay, and then find yourself a copy of BASE jumpers.

P1 IS JUICED!

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    just won an auction with about 100 games, most boxed, I'm so stoked. Unfortunately I have an NTSC amiga, and I've been reading that a bunch of games don't work on NTSC consoles. Er, systems.

I've been having a blast with this system, this is such a cool computer. I was always much more of a console gamer than a computer gamer, although I certainly had an MSDos computer, and later a 486, so I played some early PC games. But this amiga is way cooler - it's basically a disk based console. I love that you can pop in a floppy and boot straight to it without typing anything in. I have it sitting next to my SMS on my shelf and I personally consider it a lost 16-bit console, in my mind.

I finally figured out why I had such a low opinion of euro-computers for so long - it's because every shovelware shitty B-game platformer from the 16-bit era was an amiga port, which tainted my perception of the platform. Shit like Soccer Kid or Bubba and Squeak or all the james pond shit - the stuff which seemed like it was ported to a million systems. I understand some people hold nostalgic opinions about these games, much the same way I do with shitty SMS games like Lord of the Sword, but I have no nostalgia for them, and I think they're pretty terrible. I thought all amiga games were like that, and damn I was wrong.

Why did they port crap games like Aquatic games to every system but leave awesome stuff like Lionheart and Ruff n Tumble exclusive to the system? Talk about terrible choices in porting.

In my auction, I won a copy of MK2 and Street Fighter 2 - I had no fucking clue those games got Amiga ports. How the hell do you play either of those fighting games with 1 button?

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    MoioinkMoioink Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    just won an auction with about 100 games, most boxed, I'm so stoked. Unfortunately I have an NTSC amiga, and I've been reading that a bunch of games don't work on NTSC consoles. Er, systems.

I've been having a blast with this system, this is such a cool computer. I was always much more of a console gamer than a computer gamer, although I certainly had an MSDos computer, and later a 486, so I played some early PC games. But this amiga is way cooler - it's basically a disk based console. I love that you can pop in a floppy and boot straight to it without typing anything in. I have it sitting next to my SMS on my shelf and I personally consider it a lost 16-bit console, in my mind.

I finally figured out why I had such a low opinion of euro-computers for so long - it's because every shovelware shitty B-game platformer from the 16-bit era was an amiga port, which tainted my perception of the platform. Shit like Soccer Kid or Bubba and Squeak or all the james pond shit - the stuff which seemed like it was ported to a million systems. I understand some people hold nostalgic opinions about these games, much the same way I do with shitty SMS games like Lord of the Sword, but I have no nostalgia for them, and I think they're pretty terrible. I thought all amiga games were like that, and damn I was wrong.

Why did they port crap games like Aquatic games to every system but leave awesome stuff like Lionheart and Ruff n Tumble exclusive to the system? Talk about terrible choices in porting.

In my auction, I won a copy of MK2 and Street Fighter 2 - I had no fucking clue those games got Amiga ports. How the hell do you play either of those fighting games with 1 button?

With difficulty.

Also I hope you don't mind swapping disks between fights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8biwhjXvjo

Truly horrible.

Moioink on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Moioink wrote: »

With difficulty.

Also I hope you don't mind swapping disks between fights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8biwhjXvjo

Truly horrible.

I just, like, can't figure out any way to map 6 buttons to 1. Shit, even if they limited to just punch and kick, that's still gonna be tough, when every single direction on the stick is mapped to something else.

Is it like one press = punch, two press = kick? Because that would fuck up both games in a variety of ways.

EDIT: Watching that video, that port of SF2 is horrendous. Never mind the controls, the gameplay looks like a cheap rip off of the real SF2. Ken's dragon punch is entirely vertical.

I just saw a video of the MK2 port - it looks like the genesis port was actually based off of this amiga version, which wouldn't surprise me since they use the same processor. It looks substantially better than that SF2 port.

Looking on lemon amiga, it seems SSF2Turbo was ported to the Amiga 1200, I wonder if that's as good as the Dos port. Because the dos port was literally arcade perfect.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    LMAO lemon amiga actually has the manual for MK2 up on the site, jesus christ it sounds like it has the worst controls EVER.

block: away + button
    high punch: button repeatedly
    low punch: forward+button repeatedly
    high kick: button once
    low kick: forward+button once
    sweep: down, away
    roundhouse: away + high kick (lol)

holy crap that sounds bad. And the moves are all different too. Like sub-zero's slide, it's Block, button, button, button.

lol, I feel bad for people in europe for playing fighting games this way. Holy crap.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    MoioinkMoioink Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    There was going to be a reply here but the POS forum server ate it. I will just say, you think that's bad? You should see the ST version >_<

Moioink on
  • Options
    SeolSeol Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    by the time fighting games rolled round, most of us were on snes/megadrive. and you could get multi-button controllers for the amiga (eg the megadrive pad), and many games took advantage of that.

amiga/st were at the ends of their lives more or less, and the games were pretty much cashins. like sf4 for iphone

Seol on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    So hey, I have a question. In all the games I own, and in the videos people posted above (like the Gods one) they all begin with demo screens saying shit like "Crystal cracked a Bitmap Bros Game"

But the games I have look legit. I assume those are pirated games? Are there ANY legit games for the system? Or was piracy hyper rampant?

And if so, why the hell would anyone make games for this thing if I have literally not seen a single non-pirated game?

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Cracking wasn't primarily done for piracy, it was mostly for cheats. You used to be able to get those sorts of cracks on the magazines, which applied themselves as patches, to get extra lives or whatever. Actually pirating games was trivial, and didn't require any hacking.

Seol on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So hey, I have a question. In all the games I own, and in the videos people posted above (like the Gods one) they all begin with demo screens saying shit like "Crystal cracked a Bitmap Bros Game"

But the games I have look legit. I assume those are pirated games? Are there ANY legit games for the system? Or was piracy hyper rampant?

And if so, why the hell would anyone make games for this thing if I have literally not seen a single non-pirated game?

Let me put it this way; I owned an Amiga in the early 90s, and you literally could not buy games in stores.

But I still had like 200 games. Weren't really a lot of options back then, you got new games by sharing with your friends and their friends and their friends' friends. That's just the way things were. At least in Denmark.

Edit:

Yeah, cracking is mostly for cheats/trainer purposes. There was barely any need for it with regard to piracy, since the only copy protection that existed at the time was physical, i.e. code wheels for Monkey Island.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Games were definitely available in the UK. Sharing among friends did happen, but of course the internet barely existed back then.

Seol on
  • Options
    The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Wait, there was a version of Street Fighter for Amiga?

Call me dumbfounded. Next thing you'll be telling me they ported XTReme Racing to the SNES.

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    LMAO lemon amiga actually has the manual for MK2 up on the site, jesus christ it sounds like it has the worst controls EVER.

block: away + button
    high punch: button repeatedly
    low punch: forward+button repeatedly
    high kick: button once
    low kick: forward+button once
    sweep: down, away
    roundhouse: away + high kick (lol)

holy crap that sounds bad. And the moves are all different too. Like sub-zero's slide, it's Block, button, button, button.

lol, I feel bad for people in europe for playing fighting games this way. Holy crap.

Don't be mean, this was my only way to play MK2 and I still loved it :( I still kind of have to fight the reflexes to do that in Mortal Kombat games now. SF2 was something similar, I still have my boxed SF2 upstairs, and MK2. Shadow Fighter is a superb Amiga beat 'em up if you can get hold of it, I've got it on my CD32. It actually plays quite well. I was really annoyed though that they released a CD32 version (which had a 6 button controller) yet it still only used one button.

Body Blows Galactic was the other one, it was pretty shitty but fun.

Shadow Fighter:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taCR8R4_7Po&feature=related

Body Blows:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_A31jV3nElY

These were the only fighters I had access to :( Oh there was one called Capital Punishment too, I think. That tried to be a bit too Mortal Kombat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf7yyTvvUXw

Oh, oh! One I forgot, the CD32 launched with one called Dangerous Streets, it was AWFUL. Like, makes the SF2 port look amazing, kind of awful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kH0gnPQndEI

-sob-

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Well, that basically killed Amiga in mid-90's. Here is fun statistical example. Soccer Kid (a.k.a. Kid Kleets) was released in 1993, and it was damn popular game. It was estimated that over two million Amiga 500 owners in UK had played it. Unfortunately, sales were around 20 000. So yeah, you might say that piracy did get little out of hands. :lol:

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    3 pages and still no Alien Breed?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-aSztV1QLo

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    And in Commodore 64 news, that baby is getting reissued with a nice suite of new features. This thing sounds fucking awesome!

Drake on
  • Options
    LowlanderLowlander Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Drake wrote: »
    And in Commodore 64 news, that baby is getting reissued with a nice suite of new features. This thing sounds fucking awesome!

That doesn't impress me. At all. It's basically a mini-atx computer powered by a notebook cpu housed inside a similar-but not identical to C64 keyboard. If they put a c64-on-a-chip style hardware emulator and allowed you to switch between PC functionality and c64 functionality, that'd be pretty cool.

If you want a c64, you can buy those used. http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=commodore+64&_frs=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m359

If you just wanted an emulator, I guess you could find one of those too, without overpaying for a fake c64 keyboard. http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_OS.aspx

Lowlander on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    When I was a kid, playing the Amiga meant seeing this evil-yet-awesome thing, over and over again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGf5xpaRIx8

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    eobet wrote: »
    <SNIP>... but for the love of all that is holy you forgot Stunt Car Racer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wey5s5ceMxE

How could you? :( For shame. I feel like I need comforting now. The game never even got a sequel, and you forgot about all about it! There, there, poor Geoff. At least he got to make some nice F1 games afterwards, but why did he leave us in the cold? Jet Car Stunts for the iPhone is nice, but it's not the same... *sniff* Ok, I'm fine now. Sorry.

You do know that Stunt Car Racer was also released on PC?

If I recall correctly the PC version would not do split-screen but it would do multi-player if you had two PC's (This was when a PC sound card could cost $500 and most PC's would not do more than 16 colours). I think it's abandonware today so if you look you may be playing in seconds from now 8-)

Since the C64 has been brought up I feel the need to mention something about that platform vs the ZX Spectrum. I do this knowing I may start up a long forgotten war but to me the games on the ZX Spectrum were just better. The C64 had more memory and better sound chips but the CPU in the ZX Spectrum was more advanced and the games one were often more original as opposed to the C64 which had more console conversions/copies plus the best selling ZX Spectrum games were often converted to is as well.

(My pre-PC computer story: ZX81, ZX Spectrum, VIC20, C64, Amiga 1000, Amiga 500 and Atari ST1040)

Some great ZX Spectrum games:

Manic Miner, Jet Set Willy, Alien 8, Underworld, Sabre Wulf, The Hobbit, LYNX...

BlindZenDriver on
    Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    *snip*

Sod off... C64 for lyfe! :) To be more serious... I never took part in 80's computer wars, and I have always found whole scene is damn confusing with gazillion different models and companies. But in my opinion, Spectrum games have aged better graphics wise than C64 games.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    eobet wrote: »
    <SNIP>... but for the love of all that is holy you forgot Stunt Car Racer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wey5s5ceMxE

How could you? :( For shame. I feel like I need comforting now. The game never even got a sequel, and you forgot about all about it! There, there, poor Geoff. At least he got to make some nice F1 games afterwards, but why did he leave us in the cold? Jet Car Stunts for the iPhone is nice, but it's not the same... *sniff* Ok, I'm fine now. Sorry.

You do know that Stunt Car Racer was also released on PC?

If I recall correctly the PC version would not do split-screen but it would do multi-player if you had two PC's (This was when a PC sound card could cost $500 and most PC's would not do more than 16 colours).

I seem to recall the Amiga version being considerably better. You could also play multi on the amiga over a null modem cable.

Someone mentioned Alien Breed, did anyone see:

a) The awful (which I thought was cool at the time) intro for Tower Assault?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJ_HOWPje4k

b) Alien Breed 3D, one of few games you almost HAD to have an upgraded Amiga for, unless you wanted to play in a small window.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7L5yFKMaWo

It was very fun though, and being I took my time getting a pc it was the only thing doom-like I could play. That and the other Amiga 'clones' (Gloom, Fear etc. Gloom was impressive for the time for having a split screen mode).

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Seol wrote: »
    Games were definitely available in the UK. Sharing among friends did happen, but of course the internet barely existed back then.

USA too. There used to be straight-up computer game stores. They sold hardware too, but had the walls just covered in retail game boxes. Like a Gamestop but all PC/Amiga/C64 titles. All my friends at the time had DOS PCs and were "Amiga whu?" so retail & mail-order were my only sources.

DivideByZero on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    a) The awful (which I thought was cool at the time) intro for Tower Assault?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJ_HOWPje4k

lmao thats bad. Like, worse than most Sega CD FMV.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    That's pretty much what differentiated the CD32 from the Amiga 1200, FMV intros (that played in a tiny window).

I still love my CD32, Commodore's only Console.

Mr_Grinch on