As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

SC2: Dreamhack and NASL tomorrow! You will never get any work done!

• MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Variable wrote: »
    my mouse dpi is jacked to whatever the highest it does it (razer lachesis in white, which has a lower max than the other colors iirc because they don't make it anymore) and ingame my sensitivity is 49%. in windows it's 6/11 and accel is off.

there is no right or wrong answer though

OK so since I have a stone-age mouse, and DPI is supposedly lower than a bronze's apm, I should set my sensitivity higher?

The equivalent would be high dpi with medium-to-low sensitivity?

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    This is interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Automaton2000Micro#p/a/u/2/DXUOWXidcY0

Shows exactly why there is a micro / execution component to starcraft.

DarkMecha on
    Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • DoomninjaDoomninja Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    tyler cheer up!!!

smiley-sad.png

Doomninja on
    1154825-1.png
  • Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    shwaip wrote: »
    Joe K wrote: »

its definitely not safe ZvZ.

I don't know how you can say that when spanishiwa has great success with it zvz at high levels of play (he's #35 on the US ladder). You need to be careful and scout a lot (more than usual) for it to work.

I really like the build zvt, but have problems with it zvp (I prefer roach/hydra/corruptor + bane drops if I have time/gas). I've become fond of fast banes in zvz, so I don't do his build in zvz.

I agree with everything you said. ZvT, its a no-brainer, and may be my standard opening, I want to try to work it more against P, as I think that it should work out well but I'm not building the right stuff after getting gas. I too, like fast banes in zvz, and pretty much use it as my standard open. Often I'll do the fast banes against a Random, as usually at Bronze, they know one cheese per race, and get by on that, and I usually hit them harder and faster than they can.

It's weird, you get your double saturated bases, get all four gas, look up and say "wtf am I going to do with all this money/gas??". great problem to have. i really like the build, and was commenting on it based on my 10 ladder games with it, which is an extremely limited sample, and not nearly enough to appreciate the nuances and power of the open.

i really should watch some of span's replays to see what he does after lair and speed. I find myself teching unfocused, and getting one of each.

It's really a great open, easy to execute, and safe except against super early cheese.

I think that I need a couple hundred ladder games using it to get the style right.

Joe K on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    what is the build zvt?

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    edited April 2011
    shwaip wrote: »
    3clipse wrote: »
    I think Spanishiwa's build works perfectly fine, you just need to be pretty skilled to make it work.

It's definitely hard to do all the transfuse micro (along with the other stuff) late game. Things like inject timings (and choosing between early creep tumors and injects) early game and scouting exactly what your opponent are also really important with his build.

It's just pretty silly to hear joe make a statement about how a build doesn't work, when it clearly does.

I never said that it didnt work. i said that i couldn't get it to work ZvZ. I'd love to watch some replays where it does and learn.

Its really amazing how much frigging money you have and how safe you are when you get it set. until you get the queens and crawlers out, though, you're really vulnerable, but I think that's obvious.

Joe K on
  • KambingKambing Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Kambing - really, you set your mouse that low? thats.... interesting... I've got a huge SteelSeries mousepad (picked up on sale for $11!) that i may use 15% of the surface area. Maybe I should turn down the DPI a bit, I have it at 1800, and get used to it if it really makes accuracy easier.

Yes. After running with a relatively high sensitivity (1000 dpi on my g9x) for a long while, I came to the conclusion that setting your sensitivity as low as you can tolerate is the better way to go. The reason is the same as FPSes: counterintiutively, lower sensitivity is better because accuracy is at a premium and you can always make up speed with proper planning and foresight.

Kambing on
    @TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
    edited April 2011
    what is the build zvt?

Fisher/Spanishiwa's open.

Its a 16 hatch FE, 15 pool, drone to exactly 32 drones evenly split on your minerals on your two bases, use queens and crawlers (like 5-7) for defense. Get at least 2 extra queens for gosu creep spreading. You take all 4 gas at once, making enough drones to fill in for the ones going to get gas and the ones that made the extractor.

Lair first, Speed next, then anywhere you want to go. Its amazing how fast your income is, I find that I need to take an almost immediate 3rd, with thoughts of taking the 4th as well. The extra hatches are primarily for larva because your income is crazeee.

Joe K on
    edited April 2011
    I'm running an intel quad core, is there any way I can set a core affinity or something to boost stream performance? Only 2.83ghz so a bit choppy at times

quad core should be able to handle it. how much ram do you have?

Joe K on
    edited April 2011

And remember this: The Wedding Ceremony, and Reception are for your guests, not you and your bride. That's what the honeymoon is for.

I agree that the reception is for the guests, but the ceremony is only for the guests if the majority of your guests are all of the same religion. Otherwise you should really customize it and make it something special to just you and your wife.

Our full-tilt catholic wedding was for our family. We both lean closer to Buddhist, and are prbly going to end up being Friends (Quakers).

Ha Ha pic goes here.

Joe K on
  • HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hey guys, I just launched Gosu.com and plan on writing a lot of content in the coming months. I'd love to hear any feedback you guys have on the site, including the type of content you'd like to see, etc. It's pretty much just a hobby site, so I'm not planning on doing anything super rigorous at the getgo, but you guys are a pretty great example of what the SCII community has to offer and I'd value your opinions pretty highly.

I'm also going to be looking for writers in the coming weeks. If you're interested, toss me a PM with anything you'd like to write about (eSports coverage, Strategy, etc etc) and we can discuss. I'll probably ask you for a writing sample. The site's primary focus is SCII, but I'm pretty open to any other general nerdery that people might want to post about.

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
    edited April 2011
    Anyone else feel like they watch starcraft2 more than actually play it? I need to break this strange habit! X.X

DarkMecha on
  • Dropping LoadsDropping Loads Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

And remember this: The Wedding Ceremony, and Reception are for your guests, not you and your bride. That's what the honeymoon is for.

I agree that the reception is for the guests, but the ceremony is only for the guests if the majority of your guests are all of the same religion. Otherwise you should really customize it and make it something special to just you and your wife.

Our full-tilt catholic wedding was for our family. We both lean closer to Buddhist, and are prbly going to end up being Friends (Quakers).

Ha Ha pic goes here.

My sister got married in a catholic wedding. She got to choose 1 reading from a narrow selection of choices, and had no control at all over what the priest would say during the homily. He was nice, but it's crazy that someone else gets free reign over your audience for 10 minutes 0.o.

To put this back on topic, you should have Zerglings on the cake=).

Dropping Loads on
    Sceptre: Penny Arcade, where you get starcraft AND marriage advice.
    3clipse: The key to any successful marriage is a good mid-game transition.
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

Well our wedding plans are off to a good start. The girl that made this:

post5401245018099.jpg

is probably going to make our cake. On top of that, she's also licensed to marry us. Being a friend, we probably won't have to pay a dime either. :D

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    edited April 2011
    That's pretty awesome, congratz! :D

DarkMecha on
  • shwaipshwaip Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    zvt after lair/speed I go:

2x evo immediately, lets me go melee/armor ups asap
    bane nest
    infestor pit when lair finishes
    pathogen glands
    bane speed
    ~4-5 infestors (start them when pathogen glands are ~33% done. I usually do 50%)
    +2/+2 (as soon as 1/1 finishes)
    hive
    +3/+3, adrenals, ultra cavern
    chitinous plating

If it looks necessary, I'll start spire at some point. Brood lords optional. Your broodlings will do crazy damage with the +3/+3.

You obviously need to take more bases in there to get the gas/minerals. Base timing depends on how much you are being pressured. It's super important to scout with OLs and keep a ling at the front of their base (and the watch towers).

This is obviously the ideal "not harrassed/pushed at all" pattern. infestors really shut down drops, and can slow/damage pushes so that upped lings/blings can do a great job against them. Because you made at least 2 extra queens early game, you have crazy creep spread, so your lings can get between your bases really, really fast. You should also move the spines you built for early defense into mineral lines. This helps against the drops that should be coming later.

If they went marine tank, send ultras in to absorb first round of tank shots, then send in lings. If you have leftover gas (not usually), make as many blings as possible. Fungal marines. You can also use infested terrans to make the tanks shoot themselves.

If they went mech, I try to chain fungal as long as possible, then a-move over the weakened units. NP thors/tanks if you want/can.

shwaip on
    edited April 2011
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Well our wedding plans are off to a good start. The girl that made this:

post5401245018099.jpg
    is probably going to make our cake. On top of that, she's also licensed to marry us. Being a friend, we probably won't have to pay a dime either. :D

that looks awesome. have fun with it if you're able to get through the stress (and your fiancee can deal as well).

and try to remember - if you do this right, you're only doing it once.

Joe K on
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Dover that should just be your wedding cake.

3cl1ps3 on
    edited April 2011
    Haha awesome cake! I totally called it.

Dropping Loads on
  • HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    3clipse wrote: »
    Dover that should just be your wedding cake.

Those cannons look delicious.

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Penny Arcade, where you get starcraft AND marriage advice.

Sceptre on
  • MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I would zerg-rush that cake as if he forgot to wall his main.

Is that an overlord on the right?

But yeah, hawt.

Dover wedding 1
    dhal wedding 0

;)

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
    edited April 2011
    Sceptre's wedding:
    Fuck-that-shit.jpg?imageSize=Medium&generatorName=Dumb-Bitch

Sceptre on
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Sceptre wrote: »
    Penny Arcade, where you get starcraft AND marriage advice.

The key to any successful marriage is a good mid-game transition.

3cl1ps3 on
    edited April 2011
    Double sigged.

Dropping Loads on
  • mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    how can you not get the razer spectre
    it changes color depending on your APM
    also it gives you best response to BM ever
    other guy "fuck you you fucking <expletive>"
    me "you'd probably do better if your mouse showed your APM like mine does"
    other guy "/raagggeeeeee"

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Just got my IEM prize (better late then never!)

Starcraft 2 headphones and starcraft 2 mouse. I feel like I am in the gsl now.

My lights are forever blue.

wakkawa on
    edited April 2011
    Thank goodness wakkawa. Did the auctions go okay or did they get messed up by the delay?

Dropping Loads on
    edited April 2011
    good wakka I was worried you'd never see them

did you ever get that other part or whatever? one you were thinking of selling iirc?

Variable on
    edited April 2011
    good wakka I was worried you'd never see them

did you ever get that other part or whatever? one you were thinking of selling iirc?

Yeah weren't you getting a sick processor or something?

It just so happens that I need a new processor .

Sceptre on
  • Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm running an intel quad core, is there any way I can set a core affinity or something to boost stream performance? Only 2.83ghz so a bit choppy at times

quad core should be able to handle it. how much ram do you have?

I have 4gig but with WinXP it maxes out at 3.98gig or what have you.

Was testing it out earlier and it was pretty smooth running at 30fps with 6000 bit rate, now just have to get hardware sound in there.

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • GarethMagisGarethMagis Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Streaming now if anyone wants to see my Quest for Silver

Justin.tv/GarethMagis

GarethMagis on
    edited April 2011
    30 fps?

Jesus dude, 15-20 is completely sufficient o_O

3cl1ps3 on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    DarkMecha wrote: »
    Anyone else feel like they watch starcraft2 more than actually play it? I need to break this strange habit! X.X

From reading this thread, I think that's the case with most people here. At least I see way more posts about specific well known players than about people playing Starcraft themselves whenever skimming through the thread.

Peewi on
    edited April 2011
    okay so

if protoss opens speed zealots

how do you possibly beat that? wrecks bunkers, marauders, marines... if I wall I'm stuck in my base, and the only good unit against it is blue flame helion which if you just go blind will probably get you killed somewhat often. seeing lots of zealots I guess is a giveaway? and then maybe you try to wall off and pray? seems insanely powerful to me. you can get it jump to 4gate and just destroy terran unless I'm missing something. in face if you wanted you could probably 5gate it right?

I hate losing to shit like that.

Variable on
  • mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Streaming now if anyone wants to see my Quest for Silver

Justin.tv/GarethMagis

lolol that critter blocked your gateway placement
    kill that mother fucker

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
    edited April 2011
    okay so

how do you possibly beat that? wrecks bunkers, marauders, marines... if I wall I'm stuck in my base, and the only good unit against it is blue flame helion which if you just go blind will probably get you killed somewhat often. seeing lots of zealots I guess is a giveaway? and then maybe you try to wall off and pray? seems insanely powerful to me. you can get it jump to 4gate and just destroy terran unless I'm missing something. in face if you wanted you could probably 5gate it right?

I used to do a lot of speedlot openings. They basically turn into little rape machines once you get +2 armor on them. However, a speedlot opening usually just straight up loses to a cloaked banshee. Holding the line with bunkers is super important, but you need to have a lot of SCVs pulled to repair. Basically, your advantage is that it's not super hard to scout, you can see when he moves out (because he can't really take map control) and can prepare accordingly.

Sceptre on
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    After spending a while watching Tyler wreck stuff I went ahead and won my first game this year. Out of 8 played though so it's not that bad.

And it felt pretty nice.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Peewi wrote: »
    DarkMecha wrote: »

From reading this thread, I think that's the case with most people here. At least I see way more posts about specific well known players than about people playing Starcraft themselves whenever skimming through the thread.
    I think (for me at least) there's just more to discuss about tournament games than me winning half my ladder games and playing customs with friends. Unless you have a really weird game or experience some pretty entertaining BM there's a lot more going on with the tournaments than your own games that's worth sharing.

815165 on
  • MaratastikMaratastik Just call me Mara, please! Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    okay so

My advice...

If you scout a bunch of zealots (obviously this won't work if he surprises you) just go kill him with an MM ball. You should have stim before he has legs. If you see mostly zealots, you can assume he's either a total noob or he's rushing legs. If he's getting sentries with them, obviously you will need to be more careful. But I would assume there is a fairly large window, before he gets legs, where he is super vulnerable.

Also, is this push coming off of one base? Any time I have my expo up and I don't scout any expo from toss I throw down a ton of bunkers (at least 3).

I dunno though, I haven't seen the build/game in question so...

Maratastik on