As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

SC2: Dreamhack and NASL tomorrow! You will never get any work done!

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Sceptre wrote: »
    On my stream today I ran into a rather nasty mutalisking player. He opened with the Spanishiwa build (infinite queens, speedlings super delayed) and threw down about 5-6 crawlers at his ramp. It was pretty obvious he was going mutas, but I confirmed it with hallucinations.

So I think, well, I'll just go kill him. I toss down 3 gates, charge in angrily.

Transfuse is a horrifyingly awesome ability. With a lot of queens, you can keep spine crawlers alive forever. My six gate push didn't even break the ramp. I managed to still win later on with some blink trickery, but it was really close.

Did you manage to squeeze in +1?

I find that with the amount of stalkers I have in a 6gate, if they have +1, I can burst down spine crawlers before they can be transfused, if I can get them in a good position at the end of the spinecrawler line.

Dhalphir on
  • SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    On my stream today I ran into a rather nasty mutalisking player. He opened with the Spanishiwa build (infinite queens, speedlings super delayed) and threw down about 5-6 crawlers at his ramp. It was pretty obvious he was going mutas, but I confirmed it with hallucinations.

So I think, well, I'll just go kill him. I toss down 3 gates, charge in angrily.

Transfuse is a horrifyingly awesome ability. With a lot of queens, you can keep spine crawlers alive forever. My six gate push didn't even break the ramp. I managed to still win later on with some blink trickery, but it was really close.

I find that with the amount of stalkers I have in a 6gate, if they have +1, I can burst down spine crawlers before they can be transfused, if I can get them in a good position at the end of the spinecrawler line.

No, I didn't. Because I decide whether or not to open robo with my hallucinated phoenix, it results in an unoptimal six-gate. I usually scout the spire, toss down the extra gates and begin to move out before my gateways are even done. I have a feeling I could totally squeeze +1 into that timing, especially since I already have a forge.

Sceptre on
  • ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm almost finished my first playthrough of the single player Campaign on normal difficulty. Fun, but I don't really feel it was too challenging. I'm thinking of bumping it straight up to brutal, but just how brutal is it? Is it just the AI behaviour that improves or are there production penalties/increased production costs or something similar?

Shimshai on
    Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So is Cap Falcon on tonight to receive his WFC pounding? Don't hide from it! Take it like a man!

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Shimshai wrote: »
    I'm almost finished my first playthrough of the single player Campaign on normal difficulty. Fun, but I don't really feel it was too challenging. I'm thinking of bumping it straight up to brutal, but just how brutal is it? Is it just the AI behaviour that improves or are there production penalties/increased production costs or something similar?

You usually have to fight bigger waves of enemies but it's very doable.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
    edited April 2011

I'm not too sure how it works in single player, but in custom games the AI cheats at higher difficulties. I assume it would be the same.

In short, more bad guys, harder bad guys, attacking you more often.

Sceptre on
  • PoolCuePoolCue Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    dhal likes to give harsh love to players who need help at sc2

PoolCue on
  • ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

I'm not too sure how it works in single player, but in custom games the AI cheats at higher difficulties. I assume it would be the same.

In short, more bad guys, harder bad guys, attacking you more often.

That sounds ok, on normal it was pretty much a case of waiting long enough to get a decent army to smash everything. There was never really any time I was under pressure at all, except one of Zeratul's missions where every few minutes a bunch of zerg would spawn close to whichever base happened to be poorly defended. Even that was minor, really.

I guess hard is the new normal difficulty..

Shimshai on
    Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    This is why I don't post my replays.

My mistakes are simple enough I see them myself :P.

Frozenzen on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

No, I didn't. Because I decide whether or not to open robo with my hallucinated phoenix, it results in an unoptimal six-gate. I usually scout the spire, toss down the extra gates and begin to move out before my gateways are even done. I have a feeling I could totally squeeze +1 into that timing, especially since I already have a forge.

I usually start my first weapon upgrade shortly after beginning hallucination, regardless of whether i'm continuing into robo or 6gate. You want those upgrades cranking as soon as possible because you need to stay ahead of any carapace upgrades.

Dhalphir on
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    I know I suck and I know the reason I suck is because I suck, and the reason those strategies are unbeatable is because I can't think of a way to beat it.

I might have scouted the spire but I suck and didn't see it, I had the phoenix over his base but my APM is just too low to control a scout properly.

You're making excuses again. Reasons why your failings are not your fault. Stop doing that! Figure out a way to control the scout better! Maybe you can hotkey it. Most people don't, but if your mouse speed is too low to manually control it, whenever you make a hallucinated phoenix hotkey it and then just doubletap the hotkey and away you go.

It isn't an excuse it is what happened, that is how I see it at least. I hot key my scout but I need to work on a lot of things including my APM. I know it will raise in time though so I guess I just wait.

Fizban140 on
  • MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I am feeling very overwhelmed when a game gets longer than about 10 minutes.

MikeMan on
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    MikeMan wrote: »
    I am feeling very overwhelmed when a game gets longer than about 10 minutes.
    Only way passed this is experience.

815165 on
  • GarethMagisGarethMagis Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    PoolCue wrote: »
    dhal likes to give harsh love to players who need help at sc2
    dhal doesnt usually shred people just for posting a replay asking for advise from everything that i've seen dhal smashes people when they are whining about something or ask for advise and when they get advise they act like that can't possibly be the reason that they lost and it must be something else. Or the person keeps asking for advise and every replay they throw up has the exact same flaws in it.

GarethMagis on
    edited April 2011
    Just to be clear I didn't deny anyones help, I compared it with what I know and went from there. I didn't say NO to anyone, I was just telling them what I know.

Fizban140 on
  • Enigma435Enigma435 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    People, come play star strikers with us tonight! It's baller!

Enigma435 on
    steam_sig.png
  • GarethMagisGarethMagis Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Enigma435 wrote: »
    People, come play star strikers with us tonight! It's baller!

I'll play, when you guys starting?

GarethMagis on
  • His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Variable wrote: »
    Spaffy wrote: »
    p.s. how do you "open" chargelots? Surely there is an enormous amount of time in which Toss is super vulnerable? As in, right up until the moment he gets charge? Even then with ranged guys you should be fine??

well, sentry+zealots will do well against MMM

but the most important thing is I was doing a 1rax FE. there is no way to scout that it's gonna be speed zealots before the timing of the expo and expanding as such as pretty standard. I don't want to feel that I can never do it because of a particular build.

there isn't an enormous amount of time because it's 1 tech building. and again, sentries help keep the toss safe.

I'm sure like a 3rax would have survived but I'm not going into games with that plan.

scouting the tech isn't like an automatic thing, and even if you see a TC you still MUST get engi bay+turrets (which generally you have to do blind anyway if you don't see a robo and saw 2 gas)

there's obviously a response, I just don't know it. and if you attack and don't decimate his army, when charge kicks in the zealots will eat MMM for lunch.

I suppose I could wall against toss now but I hate doing that because of void rays..

edit - yeah if I don't see the expansion (which I didn't, so I stayed up my ramp and had a bunker) I should get more defensive than I currently do. I think that's a general flaw in my play that came out in this game. however I'm still not sure I'd stop this... but it's certainly an option. just cut whatever I have to and get lots of bunkers.

and no, for me stim wasn't out yet.
    What about lifting the expo and hiding in your main while you tech to Banshees or Blue-Flame Hellions? He might have few enough ranged units that you could repair your wall indefinitely. You can land the expo once you're safe, and it might not even put you behind.

His Corkiness on
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    "Funday Monday" cover of Friday playing on Day[9]'s channel.

Heh.

3cl1ps3 on
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Ends up that ultralisks are still terrible against infestors.

Just throw up a wall of infested terrans around them and laugh as their AI explodes.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So I upgraded to Firefox 4 and now Justin.tv streams are like, really laggy (bad spikes/pauses every 30 seconds or so), which never happened before. Seems to work significantly better in Chrome.

Anyone else using Firefox 4 having this issue? That's the only variable that's changed.

3cl1ps3 on
    edited April 2011
    Chrome baby Chrome

Sceptre on
    edited April 2011
    Ugh, I can't stand Chrome. I hate the layout so much.

It seems to be fixed now though, so that's kinda weird.

3cl1ps3 on
    edited April 2011
    So yeah it's totally fixed now.

computers are so weird

3cl1ps3 on
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    was just watching some Destiny. Broodlords + hydras are beastly against stalker + collosi, game leading up to that point was a bit nuts though

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    So is Cap Falcon on tonight to receive his WFC pounding? Don't hide from it! Take it like a man!

I'm going to be on tonight, but I'm in a meeting right now. I've currently 1-1 (thanks to some good coaching).It's just the first two days this week had some surprise work. But, the rest of the week is looking pretty good for fun!

Capfalcon on
    edited April 2011
    Capfalcon wrote: »
    MNC Dover wrote: »

I'm going to be on tonight, but I'm in a meeting right now. I've currently 1-1 (thanks to some good coaching).It's just the first two days this week had some surprise work. But, the rest of the week is looking pretty good for fun!

As long as you beat Joe k the rest of your matches don't matter.

Dhalphir on
    edited April 2011
    I love

Day9

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    edited April 2011
    OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

god my throat hurts!

3cl1ps3 on
    edited April 2011
    the creep dropping overlords everywhere are the best thing

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    edited April 2011
    That game.

that game

3cl1ps3 on
    edited April 2011
    3clipse wrote: »
    That game.

that game

somehow both players compositions were awful against each other

wonderful

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
  • shwaipshwaip Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It isn't an excuse it is what happened, that is how I see it at least. I hot key my scout but I need to work on a lot of things including my APM. I know it will raise in time though so I guess I just wait.

1) You don't really "work" on apm. It comes through realizing all the things you need to do, and slowly starting to do more.

2) You know you don't have the apm to scout and macro at the same time, so why not prioritize: Hallucinate a phoenix and send it next to their base (don't leave it over a queen). Start 2 probes at each nexus, warp in a round of warp gate units, and start a pylon. Then go back to the phoenix, and scout the bases. Once it's seen their bases, do your macro again.

3) The only 2x2 buildings a zerg has are spines, spores, and a spire. Given that you saw the zerg had 4 gas, a pool, and a 2x2 building, what do you think it could be? I even hide my spire sometimes using an OL - what if you only see 4 gas and a pool? He's clearly spending that gas somewhere.

3b) If you poke in with a probe and see what kills you, you can sometimes get an idea of composition, or at least tell what he's spending gas on.

4) If someone told you going into a game that they were going 2-base muta, what would be your response?

shwaip on
  • peacekeeperpeacekeeper AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    [GSL] May ro32 schedule + maps

man i hope thewind smashes mc that would be hilarious

peacekeeper on
    edited April 2011
    oh my god

the explosion smiley face

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    edited April 2011
    shwaip wrote: »

1) You don't really "work" on apm. It comes through realizing all the things you need to do, and slowly starting to do more.

2) You know you don't have the apm to scout and macro at the same time, so why not prioritize: Hallucinate a phoenix and send it next to their base (don't leave it over a queen). Start 2 probes at each nexus, warp in a round of warp gate units, and start a pylon. Then go back to the phoenix, and scout the bases. Once it's seen their bases, do your macro again.

3) The only 2x2 buildings a zerg has are spines, spores, and a spire. Given that you saw the zerg had 4 gas, a pool, and a 2x2 building, what do you think it could be? I even hide my spire sometimes using an OL - what if you only see 4 gas and a pool? He's clearly spending that gas somewhere.

3b) If you poke in with a probe and see what kills you, you can sometimes get an idea of composition, or at least tell what he's spending gas on.

4) If someone told you going into a game that they were going 2-base muta, what would be your response?
    Well I am writing that down...

But yeah if someone told me they were going two base muta I think I would 1 gate FE with a forge and work into blink stalkers and sentries dropping cannons in my base.

Fizban140 on
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

Will simply not happen. However, MC V Rainbow if that happens in ro16 will be pretty excellent and MC might lose that.

but TheWind is going to lose craaaazy hard to MC.

Khavall on
    edited April 2011
    shwaip wrote: »

Well I am writing that down...

But yeah if someone told me they were going two base muta I think I would 1 gate FE with a forge and work into blink stalkers and sentries dropping cannons in my base.

Well I mean, if you KNOW they are going mutas from the outset of the game, phoenixes are just too tasty. But yours is a much more realistic response.

Sceptre on
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Not gonna be able to stay up any later tonight. Looks like the thread is about to hit a reset. Remember that whoever takes over will have the awesome responsibility of maintaining the Replay of the Day and updating the WFC as needed.

Also, wait until 2,500 posts before going for a snipe.

Goodnight!

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • mEEksamEEksa Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Khavall wrote: »

Will simply not happen. However, MC V Rainbow if that happens in ro16 will be pretty excellent and MC might lose that.

but TheWind is going to lose craaaazy hard to MC.

Nah, Rainbow doesn't stand a chance. He hasn't been a top tier player since season one, I'm kind of surprised he is still in Code S.

mEEksa on