As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Internet Dating] Travelling is really boring

1585960616264»

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    You can still make the joke ("This time it will be a time and place of our choosing!") while also not being wishy-washy about asking her out.

If you specify a time and place, she now has to just say yes or no, rather than now do all the work of picking a place that you should have done in the first place. If she can't make that time or place, she can still accept and offer an alternative. Either way, you've taken initiative and made it far more likely she'll say yes.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    LaliluleloLalilulelo Richmond, VARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    eh, I said 'lets go out for lunch sometime, are you free this friday?

-__- fingers crossed.

Lalilulelo on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If you can, nail down details. They may not login much, so you don't have the benefit of lots of back and forth. Don't necessarily do a specific time, but "hey, would you be interested in lunch this Friday? I know this nice Thai restraint near <place> that has really good food" or something like that.

E: for next time, anyway :p

Jragghen on
  • Options
    rizriz Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Six wrote: »
    I know I've had girls view messages form me in a much poorer light because I used one smiley.

Really? Did they say that to you directly? I'm not asking in a skeptical way, but genuinely curious how you came about this information.

Smileys are weird... they have a place, but then if a message is littered with them, I agree that it would come across as too immature. Or in some cases, as too weeaboo, in which case I'd run screaming.

riz on
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    riz wrote: »
    I know I've had girls view messages form me in a much poorer light because I used one smiley.

Really? Did they say that to you directly? I'm not asking in a skeptical way, but genuinely curious how you came about this information.

Smileys are weird... they have a place, but then if a message is littered with them, I agree that it would come across as too immature. Or in some cases, as too weeaboo, in which case I'd run screaming.

In the two instances I'm remembering, the rest of my message was enough for a reply, but both times the fact that I'd used smilies came up in conversation and it was made clear it was a major strike against me.

I think this might very well be a generational thing (I'm 32 now), but I think you're right - there's a big difference between a single :) and a bunch of them, especially if they're of the incomprehensible weeaboo sort. But that's just me.

What I found, though, is if a girl tended to use a lot of smilies that she was overcompensating for a little bit of insecurity, either in her confidence in how she was communicating or in herself in general. It's easier to just say lol :D than try and actually type something interesting or informative.

In online dating, as in most things, the hard choice is usually the better one. It's harder to write an engaging, interesting message or IM that doesn't use smilies than it is to be lazy and drop them in. The hard choice is better, I find (well, found with regard to OKC as I'm not using it any more).

Your mileage may (and probably will) vary.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

I've noticed more than a few women in my age range (I'm mid 30s, looking for late 20s to late 30s) who are huge on no smilies, no "lol" grammar fiends. Personally, I think they need to unclench a little, everything in moderation.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    edited April 2011
  • Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    3-5 days without a reply. Quite a dry spell I'm experiencing.

Slider on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Slider wrote: »

Pfft going on 4 months

Brainleech on
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hell, I haven't had a single visitor in almost a week.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Back when I was doing the online dating thing I got chatting to this girl who seemed fairly interesting from her profile (ok, not that interesting but pickings were slim in my area) and EVERY thing I said to her would be answered by:

:)

it made conversation near impossible. I actually went on a date with her and she was one of the most miserable people I've ever met, she didn't smile once.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    rizriz Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Haha. That's glorious irony.

My ex has a habit of adding XD faces to things but only when he's making a dickish or sarcastic comment. It's super annoying. I don't mind XD or :D faces when there's a genuine meaning behind it, but when someone only uses them when they're being disingenuous, pass me that hammer.

riz on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »

Back when I was doing the online dating thing I got chatting to this girl who seemed fairly interesting from her profile (ok, not that interesting but pickings were slim in my area) and EVERY thing I said to her would be answered by:

:)

it made conversation near impossible. I actually went on a date with her and she was one of the most miserable people I've ever met, she didn't smile once.

Damn, Ms. Personality.

Lalilulelo on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Slider wrote: »

Pfft going on 4 months

This slutty girl just rejected me, because I told her that I thought her habit of casually sleeping around was disturbing.

I was sorely tempted to reply with a "fuck you," but I just blocked her instead.

Slider on
  • Options
    AgesAges Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Well crap, I just had a date that makes me wanna reconsider my entire stance on dating right now. In a good way.

Ages on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Zython wrote: »

Have you updated your profile or answered a question recently? Everytime you do, it pops you into people's feeds, if you just leave your profile static after creating it, it sort of settles into the bottom of the sea.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Corvus wrote: »
    Zython wrote: »

Have you updated your profile or answered a question recently? Everytime you do, it pops you into people's feeds, if you just leave your profile static after creating it, it sort of settles into the bottom of the sea.

Ah, that would explain a bit. I've been putting off updating my profile until I can think of how to update it. Thanks!

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    retrovmretrovm Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    someone wanna lock the thread and make a new one?

retrovm on
  • Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Retrovm, I forget, are you the one that promised to send me cookies? Or was that some other penny arcade okcupider?

Solomaxwell6 on
  • Options
    AgesAges Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Ages wrote: »
    Well crap, I just had a date that makes me wanna reconsider my entire stance on dating right now. In a good way.

Second date secured!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YCN-a0NsNk

Ages on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yes, let us start a new thread so I can get tips on how travel to Reno every weekend tomeet women (thanks okcupid for sending me 75 miles in the opposite direction of my choosing).

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Let's push this to 200 pages.

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Dry spell finallly ended this morning when I received a message from the busy lawyer girl who I had forgotten about.

She graduates in a few weeks and said that we should get together after April 27th.

Slider on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg