As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[CoX] Issue 20: Incarnates is live!

• LepwaveLepwave Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm curious to what that youtube contains, but I won't venture to look.

Lepwave on
    XBL/CoX tags - Lepwave/@Lepwave
    steam_sig.png
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Lepwave wrote: »
    I'm curious to what that youtube contains, but I won't venture to look.

I'll take this one for the team.
    If I'm not back in 10 minutes, don't send help, I probably wandered off to another forum for a bit.

Edit: Meh, nothing too horribly offensive. The ending theme to some anime I've never heard of.

see317 on
  • LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Oh man why didn't anyone tell me Widows get buttcapes at level 1

So rollin one

(Ledneh, rolling an alt? you're fucking shocked, I'm sure)

Ledneh on
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2011
    I like Lambda more than BAF, but if I'm on one more team where the other group does literally nothing for 5 minutes I'm gonna something something.

A duck! on
  • ArcasArcas Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Weekly Strike Targets for April
    The Weekly Strike Target is changed every Tuesday at around 8:00 a.m. Central Time (2:00 p.m. British Time) .

APRIL 2011

April 5th to April 11th - Time’s Arrow (from Imperious in Cimerora)

April 12th to April 18th - The Rule of Three (from Positron in Steel Canyon) / The Beast Beneath the Mountains (from Virgil Tarikoss in Cap au Diable)

April 19th to April 25th - The Sky is Falling (from Admiral Sutter in Independence Port) / The Fire and the Flames (from Mortimer Kal in Sharkhead Isle)

April 26th to May 2nd - Terra Volta (24-33) (from Jane Hallaway in Independence Port) / Tree of Thorns (24-33) (from Sparcetriel in the Nerva Archipelago)

Kind of interesting that they added the respec trials though they're the lowest level range. The new TF/SF are fun. Making them a WST will get a lot of people to try them out.

Arcas on
  • RobzielRobziel Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Just did the new SF Mortimker Kal for the first time, holy crap that was awesome! If you haven't done it you are missing out.

Robziel on
    Do I look like the sort of man who'd go and find unsuspecting Japanese schoolgirls in short skirts and white panties and ask them if they want to see my "Cthulu Special"?
  • kafzielkafziel Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Narbus wrote: »
    kafziel wrote: »
    You may also want to start collecting Notices of the Well, used for Rare and Very Rare Alphas, by doing the Weekly Strike Target - right now it's Manticore, for heroes, and Operative Renault, for villains, but on Tuesday it will change to be the Imperious Task Force. The new Mortimer Kal Strike Force for villains also gives you a Notice of the Well the first time you do it.

Actually, ITF was this week, and starting tomorrow it will be Psyche/Silver Mantis.

The new strike force gives you a special temp power at the end, flames of promethus or something, that is a minor buff until you hit 50 at which point you can convert it into a notice of the well whenever you want. WST doesn't matter none.

Only once though. If you want the Very Rare, or multiple Rares, or to level shift without losing your Hero Merits, you need to WST.

kafziel on
  • NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Level shifting takes away merits now?

Narbus on
    edited April 2011
    Switching away from Hero so you can go to the Isles and do Mortimer Kal does.

kafziel on
  • LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I've had it said to me today that Fortunatas are better at AoE AND single-target than Crabs. To which I replied: O_o

But this is a buddy of mine so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. No matter how I look at the numbers though, there's just no way. Can anyone clarify on how that could make sense in this universe?

Ledneh on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited April 2011
    A duck! wrote: »
    I like Lambda more than BAF, but if I'm on one more team where the other group does literally nothing for 5 minutes I'm gonna something something.

Lambda is fine until the groups split up, at which point everyone runs off on their own and gets their shit ruined.

Tube on
    edited April 2011
    Pretty much everything is better at single target than crabs

Tube on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Fortunatas are pretty good at single target, too.

They're not bad at aoe, but crabs seem to be pretty great at it, so.

My approach on the split section of lambda is to just attach myself to whatever brute/tank seems most competent and follow them around the whole time, and try not to attack the adds much other than to stun'em. It works pretty well.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    On my scrapper, I can run off and solo crates or chambers. On the ill/kin controller I have been able to take down one crate solo with PA and Lore pets but I would rather support a tank/brute/scrapper.

2% from opening destiny on the controller, with tier 3 of everything.
    45% from lore on the scrapper with tier 2 in judgement and interface, t3 in destiny, and a t2 waiting to slot into lore.

Fun bit: Was trying to gain tips, so running around PI looking for large groups to smack with Pyronic Judgement. Hit one large group of Nemesis, killed them all, gained one tip and one purple recipe.

grouch993 on
    Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Patch notes for build 2000.201104090113.1.

COMBINED

Mac Client
    Resolved an Issue which caused a black screen on login for Mac players with ATI Radeon 5000 series card.

Incarnate Powers
    Players should no longer lose their Alpha Slot boosts when they die during an Incarnate Trial.

grouch993 on
    Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm hearing all about SS/Fire brutes: Are these more for specific fire damage dealing enemies?

Also, I have a lot of builds geared more to softcap defense but what about softcapping resistances? Do I not hear more about this because it is harder to do?

Shawnasee on
    edited April 2011
    It's not harder, it's practically impossible.

kafziel on
    edited April 2011
    You can cap s/l and toxic with granite but that's about it.

Tube on
    edited April 2011
    There is no softcap for resistances. The annoying technical skinny follows:
    With resists there is a hard cap that varies between archetype. For tanks and brutes that cap is at 90%, EATs cap at 85% and everything else caps at 75%. There is no way to go above this at all. No amount of thermal buffs, orange inspirs, set bonuses, nothing will make you resist more. So BEST CASE scenario is you are always taking 10% of incoming damage.

The hard defense cap varies based an both AT and level. At 50 (since let's be serious) that cap for tanks and brutes is 225.05%, EATS, scrappers and stalkers are at 200.38% and everything else is at 175%.

HOWEVER. Due to the way the game calculates to-hit, once you get to 45% defense pretty much everything even con has only a 5% chance to hit you. The basic formula for calculating chance to hit is Accuracy*(tohit-defense). Most enemies has a 1.00 accuracy modifier with base tohit (for even con bitches) at 50%. 1*(50%-45%) = 5%. So the "softcap" on defense is the point at which adding more defense is more or less a waste. It might help a little against things that have -def, but mostly the sacrifices you'd have to make to get any higher would start to impact all the rest of your performance too much.

So there is no softcap on resistance because there is no point where you simply cancel out all damage. There is a softcap on defense because there is a point where you cannot reduce the chance you'll get hit anymore, even though you could build up more defense past that.

Someone buy me a new computer I am bored.

Narbus on
    edited April 2011
    Oh and SS/Fire is great because of the horrifying damage that burn throws out and the wonderful damage/damage mitigation that is Footstomp. That mitigation is a great way to shore up /fire's otherwise pretty lackluster survivability so that you are alive long enough to enjoy /fire's really great damage output.

Narbus on
    edited April 2011
    Aren't you just needing a new video card? Go to NewEgg, they've got plenty of <$50 video cards that'll run CoH right as rain.

kafziel on
  • moocowmoocow Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Who wants to PM me a resub code (or do I have to PM you my email or something)?

moocow on
    imttnk.png
    PS4:MrZoompants
    edited April 2011
    PM me your email and I'll send you code

Robziel on
    Do I look like the sort of man who'd go and find unsuspecting Japanese schoolgirls in short skirts and white panties and ask them if they want to see my "Cthulu Special"?
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    moocow wrote: »
    Who wants to PM me a resub code (or do I have to PM you my email or something)?

Yeah, they'll need your email to hook you up with a resub code.

see317 on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'll send you one, if you want to pm me an email to send it to

ed: four minutes? too slow!

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    edited April 2011
    ^_^ I picked a good time to look at my email

Robziel on
  • moocowmoocow Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    yeah...so...may be a while before I get online again!

215548036_adCoX-L-2.jpg

moocow on
    imttnk.png
    PS4:MrZoompants
  • WeX MajorsWeX Majors 8th Floor, MegashipRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So I'm sure you've all heard of this story by now.
    Now, having CoX be my MMO of choice, means I can not authenticate the validity of his statement.
    But my WoW playing friend insists that you can not get enough XP in the game without killing something, to get a quarter of a level. Let alone to 85.

So this has me curious.
    How possible is this to achieve in Paragon? Exploration badges all offer XP, and lord knows it's possible to make a character who does little-to-no damage in the game.

WeX Majors on
    edited April 2011
    You could certainly make a buff/heal oriented character that got to 50 without taking offensive action, but I don't think there's a way to get to 50 without being involved in any combat.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    WeX Majors wrote: »
    Now, having CoX be my MMO of choice, means I can not authenticate the validity of his statement.
    But my WoW playing friend insists that you can not get enough XP in the game without killing something, to get a quarter of a level. Let alone to 85.
    You get experience from gathering professions now. Take two gathering professions and sweep the lands over and over and... zzzz...

Glal on
  • Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Glal wrote: »
    WeX Majors wrote: »
    You get experience from gathering professions now. Take two gathering professions and sweep the lands over and over and... zzzz...
    This reminds me of the people who create characters in CoX that are just supposed to be "regular people." Meaning, they level them up using brawl as their only attack, they take no travel power etc.

It's your time and money, so you can play the game however you want. But I'm not sure why you would want to spend a significant chunk of your life this way.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

edited April 2011
    Every time Child's Play rolls around I try and convince someone who is very firmly not me to do a marathon of soloing a stone tank from scratch using only brawl, for charity ala Desert Bus.

Someone go do that. It's for the children.

Narbus on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I leveled an Emp/Archery Defender to like, level 22 without ever using a single attack, not even Brawl

but, it meant i never solo'd and i got all my XP from teaming. and since a "dedicated healer" isn't really a necessity in CoH i was pretty much just a giant leech

it was an experiment to see if you could team with PUGs and shit without anyone ever getting mad at you for never doing anything offensive.

the experiment was successful, i guess!

i deleted the character a while ago

Pony on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It's okay, it's not like anyone would've noticed if you had used attacks.

Glal on
    edited April 2011
    a dedicated healer is pretty handy on the stf

Tube on
  • TornelcoTornelco ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Narbus wrote: »
    Every time Child's Play rolls around I try and convince someone who is very firmly not me to do a marathon of soloing a stone tank from scratch using only brawl, for charity ala Desert Bus.

Someone go do that. It's for the children.

I would actually be tempted to do that if someone were willing to set up some sort of system for donations.

Though I don't like tanks, could I do it as a FF defender using only my primary and brawl?

Edit: What if I were to do something where I see how far I can get in a short period and donations are done based on the level I reach? Hmm this is actually proving to be rather interesting to think about.

Tornelco on
    edited April 2011
    Well the way I had thought about it was as long as people kept paying you kept suffering. So much suffering.

And you had to be a stone tank because Granite has a -recharge bit. So brawl goes even slower.

Narbus on
    edited April 2011
    That is a lot of suffering, but I don't know if it counts because as a granite I could just put brawl on auto and watch a movie.

But yeah, if there are people willing to show suitable interest in this. I could try and find a day or two where I am not working and just wish I was dead. (by which I mean actually pay attention too my awesome brawling)

Edit: Narbus sets it up though, I can't be bothered to deal with the technicalities of doing something for charity. I just know how to suffer.

Tornelco on
    edited April 2011
    Yeah I think the way these marathons normally go is people (collectively) pay by the hour, and they go until the marathoners either hit their arbitrary goal or collapse.

On the other hand I know at least part of the appeal of stuff like Mario Marathon is that people actually want to watch the stream. Nobody wants to watch you brawl your way to level 20 or whatever.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    edited April 2011
    Good point, I guess that means Narbus has to think of a way to make it interesting to viewers.

Tornelco on
This discussion has been closed.