As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mega-Man: Always Fighting To Save The World!

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Legends 3 will not be horrible...why would you say something like this? :(

While the art of universe was pretty much crap, the idea sounded hugely intriguing.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    TikhonTikhon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    MMU had potential. I'm not sure I would have liked it, but who knows? I definitely won't at this point.

They should just do Powered Up 1 + 2 on XBLA/PSN/WW now.

Tikhon on
    cockman.jpg
  • Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    UUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGH!!!! WHY CAPCOM! WHAT THE HELL!

I would have gladly given you MONIES to release this.

WHO WILL MEGAFI MY WOD NOW!?

Riokenn on
    OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    How can they can Legends 3 when it hasn't been officially greenlit anyway? I woudld like some damn closure on that story though.
    Granted, Megaman may way to stay on the moon, who wouldn't with a milf and a ganguro :P

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    In case there was any doubt:
    Capcom has cancelled development of Mega Man Universe. The announcement was made tonight through the game's official website. Capcom did not provide a specific reason behind its cancellation.

Originally set for release this year through Xbox Live Arcade and PlayStation Network, Mega Man Universe blended classic 2D Mega Man gameplay with 3D character models and included customizable characters and a level creator.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/115/1158741p1.html

Blah. Sad, but not too surprising considering this was definitely Inafune's baby.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    God damn you Capcom

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Something tells me that Capcom will be purging their company of everything that was helmed by Inafune....and that may include MML3. :(

Mega Man may indeed be pushed to the backround.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Which would suck since classic Mega Man was finally back in the limelight.

Tikhon on
    cockman.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I think that his exclusion in Marvel vs Capcom 3 (which is all about spotlighting the major characters of Capcom) is proof they are forgetting the character.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Gentlemen, I hate to say this but this maybe the end of Megaman video games as we know it. The Megapocalypse is upon us.

Riokenn on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!

More at 11!

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Riokenn wrote: »
    Gentlemen, I hate to say this but this maybe the end of Megaman video games as we know it. The Megapocalypse is upon us.

Well it's not like they've been treating him well since the Zero series and Mega Man 9 anyway.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    It probably means I'll never get a Mega Man 11. :(

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    Riokenn wrote: »

Well it's not like they've been treating him well since the Zero series and Mega Man 9 anyway.

It's been three years since 9? Damn. I kinda wish X got the 9 treatment but I won't hold my breath.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    It probably means I'll never get a Mega Man 11. :(

Honestly 10 wasn't even that good IMO (or at least, "not as fantastic as 9").

That being said, I don't remember how well 10 sold. If it sold, I'm sure they will still do 11. It has to be a hell of a lot cheaper to develop an NES platformer than a 360/PS3/Wii game :P Especially when it's built off the framework of 8 other games :P I imagine the profit margin is pretty large.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Dear Capcom:

Step 1) Hire Retro

Step 2) Mega Man Prime

Step 3) Fanboy rage

Step 4) $$$$$

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hey, did this ever get posted? I never saw it, but there's a lot of pages in the thread I probably missed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIDNuz_gzxo&feature=related

Delzhand on
  • Options
    Orochi_RockmanOrochi_Rockman __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    I think that his exclusion in Marvel vs Capcom 3 (which is all about spotlighting the major characters of Capcom) is proof they are forgetting the character.

No no no, they totally gave a completely sensible and valid reason for why they didn't put Mega Man in the fighting game. They said that Mega Man wouldn't be a good fit for MvC3 because Mega Man doesn't have enough abilities to make up a move set for a fighting game.

Granted most of his hundreds of abilities are projectile based, a little creativity goes a long way. But I guess Capcom is fresh out of that at the moment.

Orochi_Rockman on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Oh yea, that's right, Mega Man has no moves. Oy...

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Was that really their explanation?

...And no interviewer called them out on it?

Turkey on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I think what they really said was that Arthur already had the variety-projectile slot filled and that Megaman didn't have any unique moves that made him a better pick for the role.

Which I can see from a design standpoint, but it's still bullshit. How many diehard Ghosts and Goblins fans were out there clamoring for Arthur's inclusion?

I'll say it

Ghosts and Goblins was a shitty game in every incarnation

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Well, truth be told, I feel Arthur as a rep for Capcom should have been in there, just not to the detriment of Capcom's primary Mascot.

It's like the next SSB excluding Mario, yet still keeping in Wario and Luigi as fighters...that's basically what they did to Mega Man.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Mega Man stopped being Capcom's mascot a long time ago.

It's all about the beefy karate men and zombie hunters now. :(

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Delzhand wrote: »
    I think what they really said was that Arthur already had the variety-projectile slot filled and that Megaman didn't have any unique moves that made him a better pick for the role.

Which I can see from a design standpoint, but it's still bullshit. How many diehard Ghosts and Goblins fans were out there clamoring for Arthur's inclusion?

I'll say it

I'm sorry it's my fault. :(

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Something tells me that Capcom will be purging their company of everything that was helmed by Inafune....and that may include MML3. :(

Mega Man may indeed be pushed to the backround.

That could be a lot of things. As I understand it, he was pretty much Capcom's equivalent of Miyamoto. Besides Mega Man, Onimusha, Dead Rising, and Lost Planet, I think he was the one green-lighting stuff like Street Fighter IV and Bionic Commando, too.

I'll say it

I prefer Maximo, myself.

Anyway, I'm disappointed. I never got to play the game, and I was looking forward to using Bad Box Art Mega Man.

I'm also disappointed I never got any of the mountains of swag they made for the game last year.

Still, all hope may not be lost. Capcom VP Christian Svensson said at the start of February that the project wasn't dead, and-- this is key-- "it's changed a lot."

So, in theory, perhaps the game lives on, but as less of a Mega Man game, and more of a... well, "Capcom" game, for lack of a better term?

On the other hand, if it is truly dead in both body and in name, then maybe they'll reallocate the resources to Rockman Online and give it a Western release.

...sigh, yeah. Right. :P

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    They're basically just saving characters for either DLC (not as likely) or future releases (more likely) for Marvel.

They left out a crapton of series veterans like Gambit, Roll, Megaman, Strider, Jin, Captain Commando for basically no good reason.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    At least I will always have my inflatable Megaman Universe lance I got at NYCC last year for playing the demo.

Riokenn on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I totally wish I had the MMU towel.

Tikhon on
    cockman.jpg
  • Options
    CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

I'll say it

The Makai Mura series is the absolute pinnacle of Capcom action games. Megaman is more popular because it's built so that any idiot can win, but nothing beats actually getting good enough at Makai Mura to beat it.

CygnusZ on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    listen

if you think the old mega man games are easy and "built so any idiot can win"

then you play too many fucking video games

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    CygnusZ wrote: »

I'll say it

The Makai Mura series is the absolute pinnacle of Capcom action games. Megaman is more popular because it's built so that any idiot can win, but nothing beats actually getting good enough at Makai Mura to beat it.

I managed to beat Super Ghouls and Ghosts, once. And then I discovered that you have to play through the whole game twice, because you need a ring that only appears on replay to actually win.

Eff that.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    That's the key difference between the games. With Megaman you can always stock up on e-cans, and just keep on continuing until you win. Makai Mura requires that you actually know the game inside out to win. Given it's not quite as popular as Megaman, at least in Japan Makai Mura is actually really popular among retro-gamers.

CygnusZ on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    MM1 doesn't have e tanks.

MM2 you lose them if you continue.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Orochi_RockmanOrochi_Rockman __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    Here's a theoretical move set for Classic Mega Man for MvC3 that I thought was pretty good. What he did that, Capcom should have thought of doing is using projectile attacks like the Metal Blade and the Rolling Cutter as regular melee attacks and having Mega Man just hold them.

Spoilered for huge.
    classic_megaman__s_mvc3_moveset_by_availation-d322x4c.jpg

Orochi_Rockman on
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The only good thing to come out of Ghouls and Ghosts is Maximo.

Turkey on
  • Options
    NinjabearNinjabear Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Man, there sure is a lot of Ghouls and Ghost hate going on in this thread all of a sudden.

I actually love both series. And Maximo.

Ninjabear on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me!!! Friend Code: 2981-7429-8364
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The randomized enemy placement of GnG can go to hell. It is the one thing keeping me from considering it a great platformer series.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Pureauthor wrote: »
    The randomized enemy placement of GnG can go to hell. It is the one thing keeping me from considering it a great platformer series.

Considering Makai Mura means "The village of hell," it's already there :P

RockinX on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Vote for what MegaMan Volnutt looks like in Mega Man Legends 3!

Personally, I like the colors of A, the shoes of C, and everything else is B.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So I bought the Zero Collection for DS. I had actually forgotten that it existed until I saw it used recently. 25 bucks seemed like a good deal, especially for 4 games.

I do not understand why I like Mega Man games, though. I am god damned AWFUL at them.

Sir Platypus on