As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Old [Entertainment] Thread is Old. Everyone GTFO!

• LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    To be honest, I won't really miss Edge. I feel that he's gotten extremely stale, both in the ring and as a character. But it's a shame he couldn't retire on his own terms. He's worked his ass off and he accomplished a hell of a lot, and he can be proud of himself. It was a pleasure to watch him grow as a performer.

It really weirds me out that he's the first of the TLC 6 to retire.

LockedOnTarget on
  • KurnDerakKurnDerak Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Joeslop wrote: »

Edge: So awesome he sends Tony Chimmel through puberty on a weekly basis.
    @jays712 if any of the guys like me,Flair,Hardy,Andre,AA,Blanchard,orndoff,Henning would have listened to doctors we would have quit15yrsago

I don't know, but listing someone who just started, was already dead and was retiring 15 years ago seems like a bad. Also, yes, Terry, only real men wrestle themselves to paralysis and death.

Also, add me onto the "Fuck you, Terry" train.

KurnDerak on
  • PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm no Edge fan (which is weird because I was a huge mark for him when he debuted) and I can think of a lot of mean but true things to say about him but calling him a pussy for not working until he suffers an injury the paralyzes him is just disrespectful. Especially since he fucking cited you as an inspiration in his retirement speech.

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    yeah what an asshole move hogan

I was never a big fan of edge particularly but I don't mind him. I could swear I just said these words in the last few days but it's a shame when this stuff happens.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    What about Foley? Oh, you mean the guy that has pretty much pissed away his credibility with lame return after lame return, and who's body is a complete mess? That is not the model the new generation should be following.

Don't start digging on Foley, dude had a very classy tweet about Edge. He's not Hulk Hogan, asshole, philanderer, cradle robber, etc.

Goose! on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    What about Foley? Oh, you mean the guy that has pretty much pissed away his credibility with lame return after lame return, and who's body is a complete mess? That is not the model the new generation should be following.

wait wait wait

Mick Foley isn't cool anymore?

BUT THE ROCK AND SOCK CONNECTION

AND THAT ONE MATCH THAT ONE TIME.

(edit: i haven't followed wrestling much since about that time. so.)

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Mick has had waay more than one match that I was like holy shit that's insane.

Hell in a Cell is the one everyone points at, but his match(es) with Edge and Orton and Hunter in WWE were all worth watching. And of course there's him and Terry Funk beating the fuck out of each other.

Goose! on
    edited April 2011
    PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Goose! wrote: »
    Mick has had waay more than one match that I was like holy shit that's insane.

Hell in a Cell is the one everyone points at, but his match(es) with Edge and Orton and Hunter in WWE were all worth watching. And of course there's him and Terry Funk beating the fuck out of each other.

Oh I know. I grew up watching wrestling as a kid so like mid 80s to I guess 2000. . .something. I dropped off around the time of the name change.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2011
    I'm not saying Foley hasn't done a lot of great things, but I am saying that instead of retiring gracefully he kept coming back over and over again until a Mick Foley appearance no longer meant anything. I only brought this up because Hogan named him as if he is the model that Edge should be following.

LockedOnTarget on
    edited April 2011
    Hogan also named Jeff Hardy as a model that Edge should be following.

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • SeolSeol Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Unless he was referring to Matt Hardy.

Seol on
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I don't understand, it seemed like the focus of the latest RAW was not just one wrestling match but several wrestling matches one after the other. Are we sure this was RAW we were watching?

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011
    Either they realized they need to get more talent out of there, or they pulled all the skits to give Edge the most time to talk.

FyreWulff on
    edited April 2011
    Overall I thought it was a pretty good Raw.

LockedOnTarget on
  • KurnDerakKurnDerak Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Seol wrote: »
    Unless he was referring to Matt Hardy.

So Edge is supposed to gain some weight, and fall into obscurity? Well, his plan was to go home and eat a lot of ice cream so he's half way there.

Does anyone know what name Awesome Kong is going to have when she debuts? I highly doubt she will keep Awesome Kong, though it would be great to have her come in as Miz's new bodyguard.

It seems that the Rated R Superstar gimmick was the last hurrah of the TV-14 era for WWE. At that time there wasn't much keeping it TV-14 other than some language iirc.

KurnDerak on
    edited April 2011
    Overall I thought it was a pretty good Raw.

There was, like, a story told, in the ring over, what, half an hour of wrestling. I thought that's what happened in a wrestling company. The gauntlet match was a really good idea well executed.

And anyone who didn't like the apple core match is scum.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

• Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I marked hard for the Kong Promo

Then I felt a little bad that Edge has to retire but at least he won his last Wrestlemania match. Hopefully Vince signs him to a legends contract and perhaps makes him a talent scout like Tommy Dreamer used to do.

Psychotic One on
    edited April 2011
    Anyone else think the Tough Enough elimination was kind of bullshit?

I mean, I understand the concerns about Matt. He doesn't stand out enough, lacking in personality, and didn't take the chance to show off when he had it. These are reasons why winning the competition would be hard, for sure. But don't see those as reasons to just send him packing this soon. Out of the three, he was the one who deserved more of a chance, IMO. Matt's problem wasn't that he had been doing anything wrong, it's that he was missing chances to do things really right. But the other two had genuine flaws that stood out more, the way I saw it. Rima is lacking in physical toughness, and she keeps doing shit that suggests she doesn't reall understand this world(the pad, showing up late). Skidmarks is too emotional, and his heart isn't fully commited. Honestly I don't really see how Matt should have gone before either of them. His only real problem was that he needed to be more assertive, but he was never half-assing it.

LockedOnTarget on
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Caswynben wrote: »
    If he was going to retire in a week, why not put Del Rio over him at Wrestlemania?

it sounded like the plan was for him to retire in the next 6months to a year, but after Mania they found out his injuries were way worse than they originally thought

At a house show in Toronto back in February, Edge said he knew his days were numbered, but was hoping that WrestleMania would come here in the next year or two, so he could finish out there.
    KurnDerak wrote: »
    I really wonder what this means for the WHC.

Hopefully the beginning of great things for Christian, as well as Alberto Del Rio.
    KurnDerak wrote: »
    This isn't a classic gauntlet match, but a chain of random matches where the last winner is the #1 contender. It is nice to have something different but just feels meh. I expect Cena to win since Orton was out first.

To be honest, Edge should have been on last, because I didn't care very much about the main event at all after that.
    Shadowen wrote: »
    </3

wow, really? that's just.... is it bad that i want to see him smash the computer one more time?

Not at all!

That just means you have a sense of humor.

'I am being forced to retire due to injuries sustained over my career. But before I go, one last thing must be done' *proceeds to decimate the computer into oblivion to the cheers of thousands*

perfect.

Of course, just before WrestleMania, he was on good terms with the Raw GMail, since it allowed him to get his hands on ADR before WM, whereas Teddy Long would not.

I'm really going to miss Edge, he's the one guy I feel like I've been with the whole way, even when I stopped watching for a couple of years. I remember the Raw vignettes, his debut, and everything he mentioned in his speech. All of it.

Heck, I'm a huge HBK fan, and I can't even say I saw everything in his highlight reel firsthand.

And speaking of which, I'm kind of happy that Edge is getting away before things get too severe, and that he gets to go out on top. I was disappointed when he retained at WresteMania, for build-up and storyline purposes, but now I'm happy he finally had that one successful defense at the event, and got to hold on to it until the end.

As for Hogan? I've lost the last bit of respect I ever had for him. Makes me wonder what he really thought back when they teamed...

I just hope Christian gets a good push off of this. If he manages to get to the main event, I'll consider this a happy ending, even if a little bittersweet.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm kind of happy that Edge is getting away before things get too severe, and that he gets to go out on top. I was disappointed when he retained at WresteMania, for build-up and storyline purposes, but now I'm happy he finally had that one successful defense at the event, and got to hold on to it until the end.

Exactly how I feel about it.

I was such a mark for Edge & Christian back in the day, so when I started to get back into wrestling to see him in the main event scene made me happy. I agree that his character might have gotten a bit stale, but the dude was always a consistent performer.

And yes, fuck Hogan.

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • hyperpowerhyperpower Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    411Randle wrote: »
    You lame ass who are crying/wanting to cry, over the death of an indy wrestler need to get a life.

Posted By: John (Guest) on April 11, 2011 at 06:31 PM

Randle some of your readers are major douchebags.

You don't have to tell me, I've had a troll on my ass all day telling me that WWE has never failed at non-wrestling ventures, then, when I provided him with examples, said that he wanted a definition of "non-wrestling ventures", not examples. Then when I didn't write back within twenty minutes because I had left for the day and also because he's a troll, he claimed victory.

That said, you should see the comments that don't make it through the filter. Those ones are apparently so vile that the editors won't even let other staff members see 'em.

And for more productive commentary, Edge has been one of my favourite wrestlers ever since his WWF debut. I never thought I'd see him go out like this, but like everyone with spinal fusion surgery, he was living on borrowed time from then on. At least he got to give a goodbye speech and walk out under his own power. Now to dig out my Rated R Superstar jersey for poker tomorrow night.

I didn't realise someone from 411 posted here, nice. Been reading the wrestling news there for at least the last decade.

Apart from the comments, they leave me scratching my head.

hyperpower on
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    #thankyouedge and Adam Copeland are trending worldwide in Twitter.

And damn man, I can't even fanthom to imagine what Edge is feeling right now. With guys like Ric Flair and HBK, they seemed to already know that they were retiring and probably had a bit of time to process. It sounds like he just got the news either this week or last.

At least he's going off as a World Champion and a Wrestlemania winner.

noir_blood on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    I think he knew his career was winding down but probably didn't know that it would be so immediate.

I felt that they should have closed the show with the retirement segment because everything after that was just forgotten about.

Also, I want to propose a motion to this thread: Do not, under any circumstance, quote the Honky Tonk Man as a credible source. The man lies through his teeth about the most ridiculous shit to get attention.

JustinSane07 on
    edited April 2011
    hyperpower wrote: »

The comments actually made me angry, unless they are posted by a bunch of skillful trolls there are some wrestling "fans" with gigantic entitlement issues out there.

Alistair Hutton on

• hyperpowerhyperpower Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

The comments actually made me angry, unless they are posted by a bunch of skillful trolls there are some wrestling "fans" with gigantic entitlement issues out there.

I don't read the comments AT ALL for that very reason. Some really terrible people there

EDIT: Enjoy the site though. Always good news

hyperpower on
  • THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Edge retiring made me cry. I admit it.

I mean I grew up watching him and saw him go from a faux vampire to four Wrestlemania world title matches in a row.

He is my favorite wrestler of all time. I will miss watching him perform. I saw many moments with him live so I will never regret hitching my wagon to his cart.

Just sucks how I will never see another Edge match again but I am overall glad that he knows he needed to stop when he did.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hogan can go fuck himself. Creepy prick should have just stayed gone after his match with the Rock. Everything involving him these days is either shit, horrid, or plain creepy.

Damn shame about Edge. He wasn't one of my favorites, but I respected the hell out of his commitment to the WWE. The guy gave it all, all the time.

Austin is still the only reason I'm watching TE, but I'm starting to warm up to the rest of it. Maybe I just imagined it, but it looked like Demot put a little something extra on Skidmark's squash. Also, Cena is awesome classy.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So even though R-Truth is probably one of the most over mid carders and it's always nice to see new blood in a main event, we can all agree that him being in the match is just a giant fuck you to Morrison right?

Kyougu on
  • AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I ran into Edge, Jericho and Benoit at the Atlanta Airport once. Best Edge was the Ministry of Darkness Edge.

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Silent TristeroSilent Tristero Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Never posted 'in here', but was up late last night and decided to catch a live Raw for once (2am in the UK, and the 500 ad-breaks make it a challenge to watch, to say the least).

Rather shocked. Still, what a moment of poignancy, in a show which is for some reason really keen to make sure I see as much Michael Cole/King/Other older overweight men behave like children's TV villains.

I'd imagine it would be hard for Michael to keep up the character, if I wasn't so sure he was a complete fanny to begin with.

Silent Tristero on
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I think if Stone Cold knew about the time Skidmark said he'd leave if his gf asked him, he'd be gone. I can understand where Steve's coming from; Matt's been doing this for years and when he gets his dream shot, he doesn't stand out. Even when he got a chance to showcase his abilities for Trish, he didn't take advantage of it.

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    In an interview with Stone Cold, I would say 5 years ago, he flat out said "If you aren't here to win the WWE championship, then you have no reason to be here".

Which yeah it could have been kayfabe but I also think he means don't just settle in general. Always try. For instance, people like Carlito piss me off where they get to a certain point.. and then stop trying to be better or make a change or try new things.

Stone Cold has always been a student of the game and he understands this business better than just about anybody right now.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    That being said, I want Skidmark out of there.

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    Kyougu wrote: »
    So even though R-Truth is probably one of the most over mid carders and it's always nice to see new blood in a main event, we can all agree that him being in the match is just a giant fuck you to Morrison right?

Oh totally. That spot in that match completely belongs to Morrison. He's an over face, he has history with Miz, he challenged for the title a few times already. It's totally his spot.

And he lost it because of politics.

JustinSane07 on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Kyougu wrote: »

Oh totally. That spot in that match completely belongs to Morrison. He's an over face, he has history with Miz, he challenged for the title a few times already. It's totally his spot.

And he lost it because of politics.

Well if the backstage stuff is true he brought it mostly on himself.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    edited April 2011
    Notes and shit(spoilered for lots of text):
    There was no main event dark match after the The Miz's interference. The advertised main event was a no-go.

Rather, Randy Orton and John Cena paid their respects to Edge via microphone. The crowd cheered for Edge to the point in which it became deafening. They both played to the crowd, then left the ring as we were told that WWE would return soon enough.

Other reactions to Edge retiring (besides Hogan):

Several WWE Superstars, Divas and former stars have took to Twitter and commented on Edge retiring. Here are some comments:

Yoshi Tatsu: "I can't believe it. I'm very sad. But thank you very much Edge."

Eve Torres: "An emotional night for sure. #ThankYouEdge. One of the most creative, hard working, passionate, & helpful men in the WWE. We'll miss you!"

Gail Kim: "Thank u Edge for everything u have given to the business and ur friendship. We r sad 2 c u go but grateful 4 ur health.also can't wait 2 c christian induct u to the HOF."

Wade Barrett: "I have a tremendous amount of respect for Edge. A great career and a great human being."

Howard Finkel: "Thank you Edge for everything that you gave and meant to this industry, and personally speaking, thank you for your friendship!"

Mick Foley: "A sad day for wrestling, but what an amazing career for Edge. I was so fortunate to have been his opponent, his partner, his friend."

Joey Styles: "In wrestling you make many acquaintances and few friends. Edge is a friend. My friend, seeing you was always a pleasure and never a chore."

Michelle McCool: "Didn't catch raw but heard about most important part. I love you Edger! Thank you all you've given to a biz I have always loved! Mad respect goes out to all you've done not only for your fans, but for us as well. I am so blessed to call u a friend! Thx for always helping me! Ily."

Kelly Kelly: "Thank you Adam for everything.. you've been such a great friend your an amazing person, n inspiration and I had the honor of working with u!"

Jim Ross: "Edge will always be one of my favorites. I'm so grateful I was in a role to help him launch his wwe dream. Dreams do come true. Edge=HOF!"

Vickie Guerrero: "I'm so sad to see Edge leave...I'm honored I got to learn so much from him. He will be missed."

Matt Hardy: "Heard Adam is retiring because of physical issues that won't allow him to safely continue wrestling. He'll be missed, we've certainly had our fair share of issues.. Both good and bad. But I tip my hat to Edge who is one of the greatest I've ever been in the ring with. Adam resides in NC now-sure I'll run into him down the road. Glad that him & I are in a good place. We came in as friends, & went out that way."

Kevin Nash: "the loss of Edge is a sad day 4 the WWE great in ring,but such a special guy out,he still has years left to give."

Bret Hart's thoughts about WM: It was disappointing, why wasn't Rock more involved with Miz/Cena, why was Sheamus/Bryan pulled and Cole/Lawler allowed to go on for 30 minutes when Cole can't do anything (a thought that corporate has parts of as well, and has gotten Malenko, the agent for Cole/Lawler, into some trouble), really loves CM Punk and his match with Orton.

There is talk of putting Christian into the Ladder Match as Edge's handpicked replacement. Also talk of having a multiman match with the Corre where the IC and tag titles are all on the line.

Vince McMahon was said to be furious at Sin Cara's botched entrance on RAW last week when he attacked Sheamus. When the botch happened on RAW last night, there were guys watching monitors in the back that were joking around that "that was it" for Cara and Primo would probably be fired out of spite.

The feeling at RAW last night among some was that John Morrison would have got R-Truth's spot in the WWE Title Triple Threat at Extreme Rules if it weren't for the heat on him right now for his actions towards Trish Stratus.

And lastly, Edge has legitimately retired from WWE due to issues with his neck that haven't been improving. Edge had been talking about retiring in two years but told someone as recent as a few weeks ago that he felt like he had five more years left.

It's said that Edge has some writing projects that he will be working on and that he knows what he wants to do with his life and those plans don't have much to do with wrestling. The feeling is that Edge will always stay affiliated with WWE but won't be someone you see working full time behind-the-scenes as an agent or something.

Regarding Edge and the World Heavyweight Title, there was some confusion at RAW last night as to why WWE didn't put Alberto Del Rio over at WrestleMania 27 if they knew there was even a small chance that Edge would be leaving soon.

While WWE's announcement notes that Edge got his MRI results the Monday after WrestleMania, sources indicate that he's been feeling more intense pain for a few weeks now but didn't think he would be forced to retire. Had they known Edge would have to retire, more emphasis would have been put on the WrestleMania match to make it feel more special.

Goose! on
  • ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Matt Hardy: "Heard Adam is retiring because of physical issues that won't allow him to safely continue wrestling. He'll be missed, we've certainly had our fair share of issues.. Both good and bad. But I tip my hat to Edge who is one of the greatest I've ever been in the ring with. Adam resides in NC now-sure I'll run into him down the road. Glad that him & I are in a good place. We came in as friends, & went out that way."

Pretty powerful tweet. I didn't think those two had made up (or ever would, for that matter).

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
    edited April 2011
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    I think if Stone Cold knew about the time Skidmark said he'd leave if his gf asked him, he'd be gone. I can understand where Steve's coming from; Matt's been doing this for years and when he gets his dream shot, he doesn't stand out. Even when he got a chance to showcase his abilities for Trish, he didn't take advantage of it.

At the same time, though, it was just 2-3 minutes. Guys are generally conditioned to think that they should be pacing their big spots and that if they're doing a bunch of flippy shit right off the bat they're just going to be called "spot monkey" or "vanilla midget" or whatever. Matt could have been trying to wrestle as if he were in a proper match there and may not have really clued in that Trish wanted to see him go all spot monkey.

LockedOnTarget on
  • 411Randle411Randle Librarian Oook.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

I don't read the comments AT ALL for that very reason. Some really terrible people there

EDIT: Enjoy the site though. Always good news

There's a reason why I dropped the "mailbag" section of my column. I don't have the time or the energy to deal with the Comments section and try to separate out those who actually want to have a discussion from those who are just posting because they want to be noticed. Good to be appreciated, though.

Anyway, loving Tough Enough as well, I wouldn't have sent Matt home, but then again, he really sank his own ship by continuing to stick to the line that he was "waiting for an opportunity". He even said it after he got cut! The whole point was that you have to make your own opportunities, but more than that, they gave you an opportunity and you didn't do anything with it! Yeah, only 2-3 minutes, but unless you're in the main event, how long is the average Raw match these days? How many guys in WWE have had that one 2-3 minute squash match to get over or be relegated to the bottom of the barrel? Hell, Sin Cara only got five last night, and he was only on offense for less than half of it, and he didn't waste time doing things that wouldn't immediately let people know who he was and what to expect when he's in the ring.

Shame they botched the finish, btw, but I don't think he'll be doing a top-rope C4 that consistently anyway.

411Randle on
    1) Silence 2) Books must be returned by the last date shown 3) Do not interfere with the nature of causality