As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mass Effect: Blue Öyster Cult was wrong.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Just arrived on IIlos. As far as I can tell, I've been everywhere, but I'm still missing one medal of the Salrian spec ops team, and one Prothean disk. Are those somewhere between here and the end of the game, or was I just not thorough with my Mako?

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    Just arrived on IIlos. As far as I can tell, I've been everywhere, but I'm still missing one medal of the Salrian spec ops team, and one Prothean disk. Are those somewhere between here and the end of the game, or was I just not thorough with my Mako?

Got the Paragon and Renegade exclusive missions? Some stuff on those.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

I do not know what those are. I've been maxed out paragon for a long time now, and have two bubbles in renegade.

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

I do not know what those are. I've been maxed out paragon for a long time now, and have two bubbles in renegade.

Been to planet Chohe, in the Cacus system of the Hades Gamma cluster?

Hackett should give you a job once you enter the neighborhood. Hostage rescue, biotic terrorists, drugged scientists.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    SurfaceBeneathSurfaceBeneath regular
    edited April 2011
    Tamin wrote: »
    So I was re-watching some Babylon 5, early season 2 stuff. Started looking up the guest stars, curious as to what else they've been in.

In the episode Soulmates, the guest star is Keith Szarabajka. I've never liked this character. He's annoying, and rubs me the wrong way.

So I'm just about done glancing through his wiki article, and go to close the tab, when something catches my eye, in the 'quotes' section.

ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL

motherfucker plays Harbinger!

If you've ever watched Angel, he also plays the character of Holtz, which was one of the major bad guys for a season.

Was very strange watching that after playing Me2. He does a lot of video game voicework.

SurfaceBeneath on
  • Options
    BerkshireBerkshire Earth Federal Forces MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I decided to play an Adept this time through. So far, having finished Eden Prime, the Citadel, Feros, and Therum (and just getting to Peak 15 at Noveria) I'm feeling a little underwhelmed with the biotics. I'm not having a whole ton of fun with them, compared to what I expected from you guys. I end up falling back on shooting people (thank God I took the assault rifle bonus power, I can't imagine completing the game with a goddamn pistol) and using those powers when I think to, instead of using them until I've run through everything cool and then going back to shooting.

My heart lies with Soldier* but I found Sentinel to be a pretty fun class in 2 (no information about 1 in that regard). My ME1 Vanguard became a Sentinel in ME2. This Adept, she's going to become a Vanguard in ME2.

*Jury is still out on ME2 Vanguard, as I have yet to try it outpleasedon'tthrowthings.

I was waiting for a character for whom it made sense, and Joan Shepard, the Striking Hammer of Vengeance, is a perfect fit. After getting spaced, she will return, rebuilt and angrier/more vengeful than ever. Her charge may be biotic in name, but really, it will be powered by RAGE.

Berkshire on
    "And don't you ever stand for that sort of thing. Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    GT: FootlongKaPow
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Been to planet Chohe, in the Cacus system of the Hades Gamma cluster?

Hackett should give you a job once you enter the neighborhood. Hostage rescue, biotic terrorists, drugged scientists.
    Ah ok, yeah I've done that.

Also, I'm playing an engineer, so I've been using pistols threw whole game.

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    pistols are godlike in the first mass effect and halo games

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I am really hoping they expand the "split up your team for assignment specialization" in ME3. I loved that part in ME2. "OK Garrus, you take soldier1 and solider2 and go blow the shit out of some stuff over there. I'm taking sniper1 and sniper2 to cover me while I biotic charge into that tank over there. Mordin? Start singing."

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    jefe414 wrote: »
    I am really hoping they expand the "split up your team for assignment specialization" in ME3. I loved that part in ME2. "OK Garrus, you take soldier1 and solider2 and go blow the shit out of some stuff over there. I'm taking sniper1 and sniper2 to cover me while I biotic charge into that tank over there. Mordin? Start singing."

Zaeed, take 5 Cerberus personnel and attack that bunker over there...

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Well at least Zaeed would have a good reason to be the only one to make it out alive. I figure it would take about 27 seconds till those Cerberus troopers were indoctrinated and converted into husks. Shootin' his way in and back out again.

jefe414 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    So uh, what happens if Zaeed goes on a mission by himself? He survives because nobody else went along, or what?

Berkshire on
    "And don't you ever stand for that sort of thing. Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Berkshire wrote: »
    So uh, what happens if Zaeed goes on a mission by himself? He survives because nobody else went along, or what?

Obviously. Dude was held down and shot in the EYE.

jefe414 on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

someone post that something awful post about zaeed holding the line on his own like the ultimate heroic bastard.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    jdarksun wrote: »
    The_Scarab wrote: »

someone post that something awful post about zaeed holding the line on his own like the ultimate heroic bastard.
    I went looking for this. You know what I found instead?
    An "artist's" conception of Tali:

ME3_TaliZorah_v2.jpg

Figured I should spread the pain.

NO LINKING FROM THIS HOST

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Oh thank god.

jefe414 on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    While I enjoy the tears and anguish of Talimancers everywhere you can pretty much bet your ass that Quarians will turn out to look like elves or like those fucking smurf's from Avatar.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I haven't been reading this thread (Arrival spoilerz) but I wanted to pop in to say that last night I had a dream where I was doing something (I cannot remember what) but Renegade interrupts kept popping up. I took the first one and it was awesome but after that my mouse wouldn't respond and I started getting super pissed off because things were going worse and worse and I couldn't stop it even as the prompts kept popping up.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Pretty much.

They're going to be smoking hot...

I'm pretty sure whoever helps the quarians retake their homeworld in ME3 will be welcomed to a shot of them removing their helmets in front of a field of flowers, Tali in the forefront, as the sun glistens down upon them.

Then the spores from the flowers will attack them and they'll all die from severe allergic reactions.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Dr. WormDr. Worm Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Ad astra wrote: »
    Jazz wrote: »
    I mostly want Vigil to stick around because to me, it represents what Mass Effect was to me the first time I played through. It's has tones of an unfolding sense of wonder, but also a profound sense of loss and great tragedy...with a final note of hope that it can all be overcome. To me, that's the whole story- as a human, Shep is still understanding this greater community that humanity has just recently joined, but doesn't get much time to do so, because the Reapers are coming to fuck up our shit. It's gonna be bad but...there's a chance we can win and avenge the Protheans and who knows how many other civilizations.

So keep Vigil.

Also, Normandy Reborn is awesome. It's epic, it's badass, it's...Shepard.

Vigil is the title screen song? Man I remember firing that game up the first time. Seeing the planet, the music actually filled me with the wonders of space exploration and the possibilities of adventure. A really weird sensation that I have not felt from a game before or since.

Yes yes yes yes YES.

All this, all this times a million.

For me, Vigil is the theme of the entire Mass Effect series, I loved how you could hear a few strains of it every time someone from the past showed up in ME2, and to hear a glorious, epic reprise of it in ME3 would be perfect.
    Couldn't put it better myself. I'm disappointed there's another composer for ME3 if only because Jack Wall nailed the first game so perfectly.

Dr. Worm on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Fun story about Goatface Tali.

I don't go over to BioWare's official ME forums but once every few months, if this thread is slow. In my last trip over there, I stumbled upon that image.

That was enough to put me off going back there for a few more months. So happy that this thread has been pretty lively the last couple of weeks, between Arrival and the ME3 news.

Berkshire on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    You won't see Tali's face. You just simply won't. There's no way they can make it so that it pleases everyone, and the fuel that keeps the creepy fanfiction writing, sweat-smell calculating fires of beyond hope fandom going is the mystery and the unknown.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    You won't see Tali's face. You just simply won't. There's no way they can make it so that it pleases everyone, and the fuel that keeps the creepy fanfiction writing, sweat-smell calculating fires of beyond hope fandom going is the mystery and the unknown.

You know, all Shepard has to do is ask an Asari or Krogan what one looks like. They remember them from before the encounter suits.

EDIT: Heck, there has to be vids of them.

jefe414 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    The whole Tali thing is quite peculiar outside of the scary levels of love these fans are showing. Because Tali was clearly written in ME1 as a ward for Shepard, a little sister role to which he could take her under his wing and join the team. How that translated to love interest in honestly a question I can't answer - and probably makes the whole situation much more sinister.

Guess it's that time of year to delve back into that Tali thread on the BioWare Social forums....

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    oh god

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    SzechuanSzechuan Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Dr. Worm wrote: »
    Ad astra wrote: »
    Jazz wrote: »
    I mostly want Vigil to stick around because to me, it represents what Mass Effect was to me the first time I played through. It's has tones of an unfolding sense of wonder, but also a profound sense of loss and great tragedy...with a final note of hope that it can all be overcome. To me, that's the whole story- as a human, Shep is still understanding this greater community that humanity has just recently joined, but doesn't get much time to do so, because the Reapers are coming to fuck up our shit. It's gonna be bad but...there's a chance we can win and avenge the Protheans and who knows how many other civilizations.

So keep Vigil.

Also, Normandy Reborn is awesome. It's epic, it's badass, it's...Shepard.

Vigil is the title screen song? Man I remember firing that game up the first time. Seeing the planet, the music actually filled me with the wonders of space exploration and the possibilities of adventure. A really weird sensation that I have not felt from a game before or since.

Yes yes yes yes YES.

All this, all this times a million.

For me, Vigil is the theme of the entire Mass Effect series, I loved how you could hear a few strains of it every time someone from the past showed up in ME2, and to hear a glorious, epic reprise of it in ME3 would be perfect.
    Couldn't put it better myself. I'm disappointed there's another composer for ME3 if only because Jack Wall nailed the first game so perfectly.

Vigil is the song that will play at my funeral, right before my ashes are blasted into space.

Edit: Scarab, you really do have mental problems.

Szechuan on
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    oh god

share the fruits.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    oh god

The fact that this was posted a mere 2 minutes after you declared that you were going there is both hilarious and offputting.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    He won't be coming back.

He's dead, guys.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm half-expecting him to return with his own eyes in his hands ala Event Horizon.

"DO YOU SEE?!"

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Evil WeevilEvil Weevil Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm half-expecting him to return with his own eyes in his hands ala Event Horizon.

"DO YOU SEE?!"

I thought it was common knowledge that Bioware Forums are equivalent to looking into the maw of Cthulhu.

Evil Weevil on
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    we should send someone in there after him, it could be a suicide mission.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTsD2FjmLsw

you must build a team, they must be strong.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    You have my sword.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    ForumiteForumite Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    Is it weird that I am looking forward to the music in ME3? I can't think of many other games where I do this.

The music in the ME series elevates the games to an even higher level. I wish more games would focus more on music and sound design like Bioware has done with this franchise

The coolest part of the suicide mission was when the above song started and the endgame unraveled

Chills, man

Forumite on
    33tp6w6.gif
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    "Okay, we don't know where he is or how he got stuck in here, but damn it that doesn't matter. We've come here with one and one purpose only and that's to get Scarab out of here!

A lot of people said we couldn't do it, that going into the Bioware official forums was crazy, and I can't disagree. But sometimes...sometimes you have to take a stand. Through all the fanfiction, all the bitching, all the talk of sweat and licking glass eyes...you have to fight!

It won't be easy...and none of us will ever come back the same, but...this is the path we've decided to take...and we must take it.

Now...load of those urls and let's get to work."

*I typed that while playing the Suicide Mission link...it was awesome.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    G RolG Rol Dorsia? Nobody goes there anymore... Nell'sRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Forumite wrote: »
    Is it weird that I am looking forward to the music in ME3? I can't think of many other games where I do this.

The music in the ME series elevates the games to an even higher level. I wish more games would focus more on music and sound design like Bioware has done with this franchise

The coolest part of the suicide mission was when the above song started and the endgame unraveled

Chills, man

I know many people want this theme or that theme to make a return...but you all should have full faith in Clint Mansell. The score is going to be better than anything you could imagine. I promise.

G Rol on

G%20Rol.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    SCAAAAARAAB! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

If he's dead, can I have his stuff?

Dr. Worm on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    G Rol wrote: »
    Forumite wrote: »

Chills, man

I know many people want this theme or that theme to make a return...but you all should have full faith in Clint Mansell. The score is going to be better than anything you could imagine. I promise.

I don't really doubt that, but considering the high praise the music from the first two games received, to switch composers for the climactic conclusion to the series seems odd to me.

There better be some Faunts, at the very least.

Dr. Worm on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    ME3 Vigil had better be fuckin' awesome.

I remember firing up ME for the first time (almost two years after everyone else) and the feeling I got from just the initial "push start" page was so intense. It just screamed "this is some epic shit you are about to embark on, buckle up" but it did it without being in your face about it. It was just a shot of Earth from space, with this awesomely understated synth playing over it.

I think that's part of what I didn't like about the second game (though I loved the vast majority of it); it went from exploration with some action to action with some exploration. Even the music made a very distinct change; If Vigil is the most memorable, scene-setting track from 1, Suicide Mission holds the same title for 2. And it's a good track, to go with an excellent sequence, but it's got a very different vibe than the entire first game.

I know we're looking at full scale reaper invasion and impending galactic doom, but I'd like to see some of that sense of wonder come back. I really felt like it was missing through most of ME2, even if it was replaced by much better combat mechanics.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The whole Tali thing is quite peculiar outside of the scary levels of love these fans are showing. Because Tali was clearly written in ME1 as a ward for Shepard, a little sister role to which he could take her under his wing and join the team. How that translated to love interest in honestly a question I can't answer - and probably makes the whole situation much more sinister.

well the romance options you did have in ME1 tended to make those you didn't have look that much better.

you basically had Liara the Studious Shut-in or Ashley the Space Nazi.

tali, shiala, gianna parasini - all of them come off looking much more well-adjusted in comparison. i actually think the femshep players got better luck in ME1. kaiden's not so much of a mess as either of the maleshep options.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy