As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This is the old Good Old Games thread. Fine the new Good Old Games thread. [GOG.com]

• mattclemmattclem Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It's getting increasingly tenuous (well, this clue's the closest yet, but the train of thought feels like it's half-derailed), but I can just about link all these to EA, too.

"Dream of the stars" -> Martian Dreams or Ultima Underworld 2
    "Ride with the outlaws" -> Road Rash
    "Fear your past" -> System Shock

mattclem on
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Catshade wrote: »
    Third clue...
    1af264092e76f1558965a134759e4e7a73dde429.jpg

Hrm.

If the LucasArts theory is correct, what game would this refer to?

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Hank_ScorpioHank_Scorpio Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Stilts wrote: »
    If this really is an LA promotion and they release Full Throttle...

Well, I'll be a happy man.

Oh fuckkkkk nostalgia overload

Hank_Scorpio on
    edited April 2011
    Third clue...

Hrm.

You could just about link it to Afterlife, I guess.

mattclem on
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    mattclem wrote: »
    Third clue...

Hrm.

You could just about link it to Afterlife, I guess.

That was my initial guess, but Afterlife isn't story driven.

It's like, "Hey, here's a bunch of dudes who just died. You're now in charge of their souls. Good luck, sucker!"

Not much time to fear anyone's past when you're trying to figure out which building goes where.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
    edited April 2011
    I don't remember if fearing the past played into it at all but the style of that writing made me think of Grim Fandango immediately for some reason.

Hank_Scorpio on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    AfterLife, son!

Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle and Rebel Assault, FUCK, I mean TIE Fighter, please.

And as much as I WANT to say Curse and Grim, I still own those and have no problem running them and would rather see HD uprezing (not remakes. The graphics and voice and music are PERFECT on those games. They just need to be embiggened) for those beautiful bastards.

You couldn't uprez them without remaking them, they both are mostly 2d artwork.

august on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    " what game made you go to the underworld?"

New clue on twitter. Using phone so tricky linking it.

Big Classy on
    edited April 2011
    underworld.jpg

Hank_Scorpio on
    edited April 2011
    underworld.jpg

DIG or Grim Fandango

Hank_Scorpio on
    edited April 2011
    Well, lawks. Now I *don't* think it's EA, for much the same reason as I thought the 'Outlaws' clue meant it *couldn't* be LA since it was just too explicit.

That said, possible answers:

EA:
    Ultima series (not strictly *just* Underworld)
    Afterlife
    Dungeon Keeper
    Escape From Hell

LA:
    Grim Fandango
    Monkey Island

Other:
    Doom
    Diablo
    Shadowgate

...there's tons of games that fit this bill.

mattclem on
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Grim Fandango didn't really make you go to the Underworld; you started there. Maybe it made you go through the Underworld. Maybe I'm being too picky about words, but it seems like it's talking about an Underworld that was partway through the game and not your choice.

However, that font looks like Caslon Antique, which LucasArts used for Monkey Island.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    edited April 2011
    All my suggestions were from the afterlife style of underworld. I wonder if there's a few that would fit as a *criminal* underworld, instead?

mattclem on
    edited April 2011
    The first thing that comes to mind is shadowman which was published by Acclaim who also published Re-Volt. CONFIRMED!

I am so lining up for a big fall.

Big Classy on
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I would prefer them to crack open EA but I can live with further Lucasarts gems becoming available.

Kelor on
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Grim Fandango didn't really make you go to the Underworld; you started there. Maybe it made you go through the Underworld. Maybe I'm being too picky about words, but it seems like it's talking about an Underworld that was partway through the game and not your choice.

However, that font looks like Caslon Antique, which LucasArts used for Monkey Island.

Wasn't the first area in GF that diner? It's been a while.

Sir Carcass on
    edited April 2011

Wasn't the first area in GF that diner? It's been a while.

It's been a long time for me, two, but I recall two diners.
    1. The 'real world' sequence where Manny visits the (utterly bizarre) real world to collect a corpse. That's not right at the start, if I remember right. but it's very early on; establishing the premise.

2. The small roadside cafe visited at the very end of the first year; Manny works there through the transition.

mattclem on
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, I meant the "real world" one. I'm thinking it was the first time you control the character.

Sir Carcass on
    edited April 2011
    I checked a FAQ. It's not right at the start, but it's pretty much your first major objective.

mattclem on
  • SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    underworld.jpg

DIG or Grim Fandango
    I'm hoping for Ultima Underworld.

Silpheed on
  • GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Here we go again.
    gog120112.png

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Somebody kill that guy.

edit: The thing that kills me the most about that fake is the Blade Runner badge. It's like the guy lurks this thread and slips stuff into his fakes just to taunt me.

Drake on
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I would straight up kill someone for Ultima Underworld.

Rizzi on
    edited April 2011
    I would too, even though I just installed both from the CD I own a couple of weeks ago. I just want to kill someone.

Sir Carcass on
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I would too, even though I just installed both from the CD I own a couple of weeks ago. I just want to kill someone.

What sort of hoops did you have to jump through to get it to run? I've still got the disc but haven't even attempted it on Windows 7 yet.

Kelor on
    edited April 2011
    Kelor wrote: »

What sort of hoops did you have to jump through to get it to run? I've still got the disc but haven't even attempted it on Windows 7 yet.

Hoop 1: Run DOSBox
    Hoop 2: Figure out archaic control scheme

Sir Carcass on
    edited April 2011
    Did anything come of any of those "New executable to run Underworld titles on modern systems"? I'm trying to remember the name of it (I'm sure there was one that was intended to do both Underworlds and System Shock)

mattclem on
  • harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I remember playing the Ultima Underworld games. They were pretty amazing for the time but the controls were harsh. I liked lining up the runes you found to make the spells.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
    edited April 2011
    harvest wrote: »
    I remember playing the Ultima Underworld games. They were pretty amazing for the time but the controls were harsh. I liked lining up the runes you found to make the spells.

AN FLAM

I did go through a period - after playing a lot of U7, which was one of the first PC games I purchased - where I could actually read the runic text without needing to cross-reference with the guidebook. I've since lost that skill :-)

mattclem on
  • harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hah I had that happen too. Ultima 7 is a game that could really use a modern remake. It was so good and I never even really played the story, I just kind of fucked around.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Blade Runner? HNNNNNNG YEEESSS!

If LucasArts is getting in on this... Tie Fighter.

No X-Wing!

No!

X-Wing vs Tie Fighter!

EEEEEEE!!!

Waka Laka on
    edited April 2011
    harvest wrote: »
    Hah I had that happen too. Ultima 7 is a game that could really use a modern remake. It was so good and I never even really played the story, I just kind of fucked around.

Exult does a good job of that. You can increase the resolution, use filters to smooth the graphics, turn on things like smooth scrolling, and a lot of other things.

Sir Carcass on
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Mr. Lucas, we need you to sign off on construction of another money railway.

Is this in preperation for the Star Wars 3d Cinema anthology?
    No sir, that one is going to be a space elevator, this is from every nerd the world over, buying every lucasarts title they could on Good Old Games.

Zounds!

Seriously though, so many things; if that were truth, I would blow a lot of cash on gog and then raid steam for whatever had an enhanced edition.

Omikron needs a re-release, its seems everything about it was a precurser to newer sandbox games.

RoyceSraphim on
    edited April 2011
    I don't think Omikron runs on Windows 7 at all, so a GoG release would be nice. I've been thinking of digging it out and trying, but I hate to be disappointed.

Sir Carcass on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If the outlaws clue doesn't mean Outlaws someone at gog.com must be prosecuted for war crimes.

august on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    august wrote: »
    If the outlaws clue doesn't mean Outlaws someone at gog.com must be prosecuted for war crimes.

Once they're finished being prosecuted for the whole "we're shutting down" thing. Frankly part of me says "if it's not Outlaws, then I'm going to be an actual outlaw because I will murder them" and part of me says "after the shit they've pulled, nothing they do will ever surprise me." All this suspense bullshit does wear on me a little. If you've got a game in the pipeline just tell us.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    For some reason I was totally thinking "Full Throttle" instead of "Outlaws" for that outlaw clue. Why? I don't know.

Also, SammyF wants some Sam and Max Hit The Road for the voice acting alone.

SammyF on
    edited April 2011
    I've still got my Sam and Max cd that a forumer sent me many years ago. I really wish I could remember his screen name, I just know it started with Joe. He had a little contest where people had to describe what they would do when they got the game in the mail, or something like that.

I never did have sex with that disc....

Sir Carcass on
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I've still got my Sam and Max cd that a forumer sent me many years ago. I really wish I could remember his screen name, I just know it started with Joe. He had a little contest where people had to describe what they would do when they got the game in the mail, or something like that.

I never did have sex with that disc....

One of my favorite things about that game (other than the game itself) was that it's formatted so that you can listen to some of the songs on the soundtrack just by plugging it into any CD player.

Hey Sammy, did you recklessly endanger your life and the lives of others by driving your beat up blue Buick like a crazy person through the high school parking lot while listening to the Sam and Max theme song on your game disc just as loud as your shitty speakers could blare it?

Yeah, other Sammy, I sure did.

SammyF on
    edited April 2011
    New clue!

What game made monsters fear you?

Big Classy on