As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mass Effect: Blue Öyster Cult was wrong.

• EmporiumEmporium Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Uhh
    The reapers have been traveling by FTL for some unknown period of time to get to that relay from dark space. The alpha relay was merely their shortcut to the rest of the galaxy. Hence, the point of the entire DLC.

Emporium on
  • gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Bobble wrote: »
    gjaustin wrote: »
    DHS wrote: »
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I love how games have made me such a fickle bitch. Nothing mattered more to me than Brink. Got my GameInformer yesterday, and now I would probably trade Brink(Still super psyched) for ME3 in an instant. I knew nothing about it other than "The Reapers are here". Everything about it sounds so awesome

Except for a blurb about the slim possibility of ME3 multiplayer... my brain was screaming NOOOOOOOOOO so hard that my ears were about to bleed. I really hope they don't try to shoehorn some kind of MP modes into ME3...

...It specifically, clearly states no multiplayer in ME3.

It seems like it would be really easy to toss in split-screen co-op and let another player control one of the other squad members.

Right up until you remember time-dilation effects.

That wouldn't actually be a problem. Splinter Cell Conviction had them and the co-op was great.

If anything it would add some funny techniques. If you're playing an Infiltrator and your teammate needs a slowdown to pull something off, just scope in your rifle.

gjaustin on
  • LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    That is one thing I'd like them to address in ME3. Getting your squadmates earlier.

I know I never used Samara/Thane much because they were always the last two I got.

What I really hated was how awesome legion is but you have to let your crew reenact the end of Raiders of the Lost Arc if you wanted to do anything with him before the suicide mission.

LockeCole on
  • CojonesCojones Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    LockeCole wrote: »
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    That is one thing I'd like them to address in ME3. Getting your squadmates earlier.

I know I never used Samara/Thane much because they were always the last two I got.

What I really hated was how awesome legion is but you have to let your crew reenact the end of Raiders of the Lost Arc if you wanted to do anything with him before the suicide mission.
    Bear in mind that you can do one mission with him before the Collectors abduct your crew.
    You're definitely right though, it would have been awesome to have recruited Legion earlier.

Cojones on
    exmac.png
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    One little nit-picky thing I'd like to see addressed:

If I'm playing vanguard or some class that doesn't use ARs, I don't really want to see Shep holding a default AR during a cutscene. Especially when I didn't have one to begin with.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    One little nit-picky thing I'd like to see addressed:

If I'm playing vanguard or some class that doesn't use ARs, I don't really want to see Shep holding a default AR during a cutscene. Especially when I didn't have one to begin with.

That was even in ME 1 as well, and sometimes it lead to starting off a fight with the wrong gun selected. Also it would be nice if your current equipped guns showed up in cutscene. ME 2 was in love with the default heavy pistol model.

Though they have said weapon restriction are gone for ME 3, so its not like your vanguard couldn't use an AR, and frankly prior to the kasumi add on I always took the assault rifle addition over the shitty shotgun upgrade.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited April 2011
    Emporium wrote: »
    Uhh
    The reapers have been traveling by FTL for some unknown period of time to get to that relay from dark space. The alpha relay was merely their shortcut to the rest of the galaxy. Hence, the point of the entire DLC.

Hang on a minute...
    The Reapers were just flying to that relay? This raises several questions:
    1) If they're all just flying there, why not use the relay's destruction as a weapon against them? If a mass relay explodes with the force of a supernova, why not just wait for them to get close and then send the asteroid into it?
    2) If the Reapers were under thirty minutes away from that relay, then they are already pretty much inside the milky way. Why the hell is anyone concerned with Shepard attending a trial at this point, given that the Reapers are already almost literally knocking on the door?

Cojones on
    exmac.png
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Cojones wrote: »
    Uhh

Hang on a minute...
    1) If they're all just flying there, why not use the relay's destruction as a weapon against them? If a mass relay explodes with the force of a supernova, why not just wait for them to get close and then send the asteroid into it?
    2) If the Reapers were under thirty minutes away from that relay, then they are already pretty much inside the milky way. Why the hell is anyone concerned with Shepard attending a trial at this point, given that the Reapers are already almost literally knocking on the door?
    1) I have no idea. Unless Shep just didn't want to risk them having some sort of insta-jump protocol when they got in range of that relay.

2) Because the Milky Way is 100,000 light years across, mostly empty space, and it's almost impossible to detect a cold, small object (like a killer space robot) in open space. Just because they're "here" doesn't mean they're here, or that anyone knows about it. Add to this the chaos in the wake of the relay explosion, and they're probably out of system before anyone would come looking for them anyway.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    edited April 2011
    1. Because Shepard was probably more concerned with activating the project and getting the fuck out of dodge. Plus, we've got to have some reapers to elbow to death in ME3.

2. This was explained in the DLC. If you ask the doctor, she says that it could take months or years to get to the next relay by FTL. Optimus said largely the same thing in his last post. And in any event, it'll be a hell of a lot longer than a few minutes to get to the rest of the galaxy.

Emporium on
    edited April 2011
    1. Because Shepard was probably more concerned with activating the project and getting the fuck out of dodge. Plus, we've got to have some reapers to elbow to death in ME3.

2. This was explained in the DLC. If you ask the doctor, she says that it could take months or years to get to the next relay by FTL. Optimus said largely the same thing in his last post. And in any event, it'll be a hell of a lot longer than a few minutes to get to the rest of the galaxy.
    Fair enough, I guess I just presumed that
    the reapers would be jumping to the Alpha relay just so that they could use its increased power to attack everywhere else at once
    One further question then:
    The Alpha relay had the power to send the reapers pretty much wherever they wanted to go within the Milky Way, why was this even necessary for them, given that the standard procedure was to jump in using the Citadel relay. Furthermore, as far as we know the Protheans were the first race to have ever affected the way the Reapers invade a Galaxy, so its not as if the Reapers had been burned before and built contingency relays just in case.

One last thing...the Protheans were significantly more advanced than the combined council races and they were annihilated by the Reapers. What chance do we have?

Cojones on
    exmac.png
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

the reapers would be jumping to the Alpha relay just so that they could use its increased power to attack everywhere else at once
    The Alpha relay had the power to send the reapers pretty much wherever they wanted to go within the Milky Way, why was this even necessary for them, given that the standard procedure was to jump in using the Citadel relay. Furthermore, as far as we know the Protheans were the first race to have ever affected the way the Reapers invade a Galaxy, so its not as if the Reapers had been burned before and built contingency relays just in case.

One last thing...the Protheans were significantly more advanced than the combined council races and they were annihilated by the Reapers. What chance do we have?

One.

Her name is Commander Shepard, and she is very drunk.

chiasaur11 on
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    While it's not unreasonable for them to have contingency plans anyway, the Alpha Relay was the first one built and their original plan may have been for them all to be powerful enough to jump anywhere, then they realized they didn't have the resources for that and it wasn't necessary, so they made a series of weaker primary relays and even weaker secondary relays. The Alpha Relay(s?) would also be useful for travel while the network was still incomplete.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

On 2.

Because there are two different kinds of Mass relays.

The one's that go really far but can only connect to their partner relay, and one's that can connect to any relay but only across a short distance.

The Citadel is the former.

Dragkonias on
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

One.

Sigged.

Jazz on
  • DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Uhh

Hang on a minute...

as i understood it
    there is a relay on the edge of the galaxy, a backdoor that connects to the alpha relay only.

Deaderinred on
    edited April 2011
    Uhh

Hang on a minute...

as i understood it
    there is a relay on the edge of the galaxy, a backdoor that connects to the alpha relay only.
    No, they were flying directly to the alpha relay. If there was another relay they could just get there at any time. Trying to time the relay destruction to hit the reapers would be too risky, and Shepard wasn't in the best position to do the math.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
    edited April 2011
    But seriously, those Batarians were fucked anyway.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Preacher wrote: »
    Though they have said weapon restriction are gone for ME 3

I hope that doesn't mean that weapons I don't use are going to be plastered all over my body like in ME1. I didn't like that at all.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Doesn't work that way.

Basically characters get weapon "slots" instead of presets and they can equip any conventional weaponry in those slots.

They said that there would be 2, 3, and 4 slots and people are guessing that.

Adept/Engineer/Sentinel: 2 slots

Vanguard/Infiltrator: 3 slots

Soldier(confirmed): 4 slots

Though you'll probably only be able to have one of each type. So, no walking around with 4 sniper rifles of different colors I'm thinking.

Dragkonias on
  • Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    You get to pick and choose what weapons you want. Vanguard with AR to start with. Shotgun Adept. Shotgun Infiltrator. Basically any combination you want, though the various classes are limited in number now, rather than type. Soldiers can carry the most, obviously.

Mustachio Jones on
    edited April 2011
    Though they have said weapon restriction are gone for ME 3

I hope that doesn't mean that weapons I don't use are going to be plastered all over my body like in ME1. I didn't like that at all.

I'd hope we'd get a slot based weapon system, so you can carry a certain amount of different guns, but don't have to. Like in ME 2 I hated always having a heavy weapon on my back, especially since they were all hella ugly.

Also helmets, or hell hair that adjusts to your face gear.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited April 2011
    I wonder if Heavy Weapons count as a slot?

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
    edited April 2011
    -Tal wrote: »

I'd prefer a return to grenades over the heavy weapons, but I may be unique in that. Honestly never really used either all that much.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited April 2011
    Meh, Heavy Weapons are generally more versatile than grenades were.

That being said...I wouldn't mind grenades reappearing as a separate entity.

But I'd probably go with the more traditional arcing kind...so they're good for something.

Dragkonias on
  • Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

I'd prefer a return to grenades over the heavy weapons, but I may be unique in that. Honestly never really used either all that much.

At least heavy weapons were useful on occasion, I cannot remember the grenades being useful ever. They were about the most useless thing in ME1.

Renegade Wolf on
    edited April 2011
    Inferno and Flashbang were useful if not optimal, I wouldn't mind grenades like those.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
    edited April 2011

At least heavy weapons were useful on occasion, I cannot remember the grenades being useful ever. They were about the most useless thing in ME1.

They were useful in a couple places, like the husk transport ship, or when liara dropped a good singularity on a group of enemies. The heavy weps I never really used, but that could have been limited ammo paralysis.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited April 2011
    I would be a lot more likely to use the heavy weapons if they refreshed ammo after every mission like grenades did.

But I almost never pull them out now because I can't stand to use up the resources.

OptimusZed on

edited April 2011
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    I would be a lot more likely to use the heavy weapons if they refreshed ammo after every mission like grenades did.

But I almost never pull them out now because I can't stand to use up the resources.

Yeah that was me I was paralyzed by "But I might need this later!" That's of course ignoring stupid crap like the Cain that even with full ammo you got like two shots with. Maybe they were more needed on the later difficulties, but honestly I never found they did so much more damage over power attacks/weapons.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • DarisDaris Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Heavy Weapons also just fall short after enough upgrades. I use the arc projector on annoying packs in the early game to make things easier, and use the cain to make some of the harder parts a giggle. Outside that heavy weapons are a waste.

I do have the habit of sticking the flamethrower or arc projector on my back to save space/match outfits.

Why would the reapers start with earth rather than go to the citadel? They need us. If they go to the citadel first humanity might run and hide or train it's population to combat wasting millions in a struggle. If the reapers can shut off mass relays without the citadel, it might serve to reason they cut humanity off from the rest of the galaxy.

So we need to figure out how to turn the relay back on while Shep gets reinforcements.

Daris on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    OptimusZed wrote: »

Yeah, you have all these credits and resources, but you have to scavenge for ammo and medigel, you can't just buy them or steal some from the medbay:?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • ChronocideChronocide Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    My insanity infil run was made easier by using Heavy Reave to get rid of barriers and armour and the ARC Projector to get rid of shields. The Widow usually wiped a whole bar of health away with each headshot.

I found heavy weapons waaaay more useful than grenades.

Chronocide on
    edited April 2011
    I hope they do away with giving credits for medi-gel and heavy weapon ammo when you're already maxed out on capacity. I can appreciate that it was an attempt to encourage searching for them, but all it ended up doing for me was never using medi-gel or heavy weapons.

Emporium on
  • deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Jazz wrote: »
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

One.

Sigged.

You bastard, you beat me to it.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So has the multi that was suggested to be in three been quietly dropped?

Haven't seen it talked about in the features at all.

Leitner on
  • DarisDaris Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I hope they do away with giving credits for medi-gel and heavy weapon ammo when you're already maxed out on capacity. I can appreciate that it was an attempt to encourage searching for them, but all it ended up doing for me was never using medi-gel or heavy weapons.

How can you hate on that? It adds up to a good deal of profit!

Daris on
    edited April 2011
    Leitner wrote: »

It has been explicitly denied.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • dbrock270dbrock270 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    God I hope there isn't multiplayer. This should be strictly single player game. Although, I would like to see an MMO in the ME universe, but we'll have to see how The Old Republic does before we can discuss that.

dbrock270 on
  • Inter_dInter_d Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I want more hairstyle options! why does everyone get a style upgrade but shep?

How am I supposed to look fabulous while punching out reapers when I have so little options!

Inter_d on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Leitner wrote: »

It has been explicitly denied.

I still don't see how they think that MP would work for Dragon age, but not for ME...

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png