As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

3rd Annual Post-PAX Party @Jillian's: Featuring Jonny Nero and The Protomen!

ArcoArco Registered User regular
edited August 2011 in PAX Archive
A little late notice since this has been the case for a week or so now, but we are SOLD OUT. Please DO NOT SHOW UP between 8-11 unless you have a ticket. I don't like turning anyone away, but unfortunately this has to be the case. If you show up without a ticket you will not be able to buy one, no one will be available to take your money, and we really don't want to run into any overcrowding or party crashing scenarios. Neither Jillian's nor the party (read: me) will have any time or energy to deal with this kind of thing, and I don't want to do anything that would damage the relationship I'm trying to build with Jillian's and force us to look elsewhere for a venue next year. Part of the reason this party has gone off so well in years past is that we're an awesome group of people to deal with, down to every last individual. I fully trust the PAX community to be responsible and continue that trend, and part of doing that is not showing up if there's no room for you.

Please accept my sincerest apologies for having to turn you away. It brings me no joy. I wish I could accommodate anyone and everyone who wanted to come, drop the ticket price, buy twice as many raffle prizes, order everyone a drink, and cure cancer during this party. Alas, I am a simple man with worldly limitations and limited powers. Please, please, please check the forums early next year and get your ticket before they're sold out: I want you to come!

Thanks to everyone who bought their ticket, donated money to the raffle or the band funds, contributed a console, or plans on volunteering for the party. You have my utmost gratitude and appreciation. I plan this party because PAX people are awesome and I love spending time with them, and every year my faith and interest in the community is renewed through this party.

In closing, I must repeat: if you don't have a ticket, do not show up between 8-11.

---

If you've already got your ticket and you want to vote in the menu poll, click here!

HUGE ANNOUNCEMENT: THE PROTOMEN ARE GOING TO BE PLAYING THE POST-PAX PARTY.

Welcome to the official thread for the 3rd Annual Post-PAX Party! Details and important links for the event can be found in the post below, which will be edited with information periodically. The pages after this are discussion.

The Post-PAX Party is a last-ditch, hail-mary, all-for-one effort to have the most fun possible after the doors close on PAX Prime. Now in its third year, we've grown by leaps and bounds from a single room, 100-person experiment into a whole floor, 250-person event. We're going to hook up consoles to TVs, play pool, darts, and ping pong, eat, drink, and party our asses off all night long before we all go back to our regular lives. It's an afterparty, a farewell, and a celebration, all rolled into one. If you don't have anywhere to be Sunday night, you should join us. Ask around: it's really fun.

I'm pleased to announce that due to our ever-growing numbers, we're rolling out to Jillian's Billiards Club this year!

http://seattle.jilliansbilliards.com/

Sunday, August 28
8:00pm - 11:00pm+

Highlights of the evening include:

Jonny Nero, Action Hero!
Jonny Nero is an old-school member of the PAX community, Enforcer, and chiptunes musician who is opening for The Protomen on Friday. He's going to play our party, too! He currently has an EP, Experimutations, which is totally rad.

THE PROTOMEN

The Protomen have played the PAX main stage 3 times, and brought the house down each time. They're currently in the middle of a US tour. They've released 2 albums (3 if you count the Makeup and Vanity set), and they're fucking awesome. Ask anyone who's seen a Protomen show.

The entire first floor all to ourselves.
Pool, darts, and ping pong, included in the ticket price, in their own room separate from the eating area.
A fucking arcade.
Private bartender and a full bar.
Full stage, for Rock Band or whatever.
11 HDTVs and a huge projector, all of which we can hook consoles up to. That's 12 screens.
Appetizer buffet.
Cheaper ticket than last year!
Alcohol is... wait for it...

wait for it...

wait for it...

included in the ticket this year! (one drink/ticket)

We're also doing a raffle, just like last year. This year I have some prizes that are so cool I'm not allowed to talk about them, and with almost double the attendance of last year, I'm hoping to really go nuts and get some amazing stuff. One raffle ticket is included in the price of admission.

Tickets are $40 and they're ON SALE NOW. We're renting out the entire first floor of this place, so this year ticket sales are being pushed up to 250 people! I'm counting on you guys to spread the word and sell this thing out, because as always, no one fronts the bill for this thing. Everyone pays an equal share and we have to sell all the tickets to pay for the event.

What's that? You still aren't convinced and you want pictures? Okay!

p9FjGYu8iRy89HyBqJgdmg.jpg

JilliansGamesMED.jpg

Jillians2MED.jpg

Jillians1MED.jpg

Maybe you're like, "Who's this Arco guy? What makes him so special?" I hear you. I'm just some dude, after all. Thus, I present my references:

2nd Annual Post-PAX Party, 2010
1st Annual Post-PAX Party Dinner, 2009

Not good enough? Still have questions? Perhaps I can assist you in the form of a spoilerized F.A.Q.
Q: When is this event taking place?
A: Sunday, August 28th, from 8:00-11:00+.

Q: Where is this event taking place?
A: Jillian's Billiards of Seattle. 731 Westlake Ave North, Seattle WA. It's about a mile straight north. You can either walk, take a taxi, or hop on a variety of public transit options (73 bus, 28 bus, or 98 street car). Walking will take you about 20-30 minutes.

Q: How long will this event last?
A: Officially, the party lasts three hours. During that time we have the entire first floor to ourselves, plus 6 dedicated pool tables, darts, and ping pong. During this time food and drinks are served for party guests and we can also hook video games up to the various TVs and projectors in the venue (12 screens total!).

After the three hour mark, we lose that stuff. We have to share the darts, ping pong, and pool, we lose the exclusivity, the paid food goes away, and we probably have to unhook most, if not all of the video games. But they aren't going to kick us out, and in years past the party has gone on until the venue closes, which is far into the wee hours of the morning.

Q: Is this event 21+?
A: Nope. All ages, but if you're under 21 please don't drink or try to drink.

Q: How much will this event cost?
A: I'm very pleased to announce that the ticket price is only $40, lower than last year's ticket.

Q: Do I need to buy a ticket, or can I just show up?
A: You do need to buy a ticket in advance, and space is limited. The EventBrite registration page is located here.

Q: What kind of food is served?
A: Appetizer-type stuff. Last year it was steak sandwiches, chicken fingers, potstickers, sushi and nigiri, hummus, pita, fruit, vegetables, cheese and crackers. Soda, tea, and coffee are also included in the ticket price, and the food is served for the duration of the party. We'll be choosing individual menu options over again this year.

Q: Is alcohol served?
A: Yup. Jillian's has a full bar and we have full run of the entire first floor.

Q: Is alcohol included in the ticket price?
A: YES! Unlike years past, each ticket includes one drink ticket of a $6 value.

Q: I heard you have video games. What kind?
A: Last year we had two 360s with Rock Band, plus a PS3 with a variety of games. Rock Band has become a tradition at the party and I have no doubt we'll be playing that all night long. In addition there are always party standards: SFIV, MvC3, Castle Crashers, etc. We have a full stage, so maybe Dance Central? Who knows. This year we have a staggering 12 screens at our disposal, including a giant projector. I fully plan on hooking up as many consoles as I can get my hands on to provide you guys with a wide variety of games to play and short lines to wait in. If you're willing to offer up a console and some games for the evening, please get in touch with me via PM.

Q: What's with this raffle thing?
A: All attendees are encouraged to throw down some money for our raffle. Each ticket also comes with one raffle ticket, which will be thrown into a hat along with everyone else's. Before the party I will collect all the raffle donations and go on a crazy spending spree for FABULOUS PRIZES, which will be raffled off at some point during the party. Last year's prizes included a StarCraft 2 Collector's Edition, a light-up BioShock EVE hypo, Bacon Soap, and lots of other cool stuff. I try not to disappoint. With almost twice the number of attendees as last year I'm hoping to get some really good stuff, and I might even have some prizes up my sleeve that I can't talk about yet. You'll just have to attend to find out.

So subscribe to the thread for updates, tell your friends, buy your tickets, donate to the raffle, and I'll see you all at the Post-PAX Party!

Original post below for posterity:

---

It's definitely happening and it's never too early to start planning, so now that I've decompressed from PAX East, I'm starting to send out e-mails.

Question: How would you guys feel about moving from The Taphouse to The Garage? It's been on the TWDT in years past, it's got bowling, billiards, food, drinks, and it may end up being cheaper than The Taphouse, but it's farther away. Nothing's guaranteed, but it caught my eye and I sent an e-mail to their event coordinator. I want your thoughts, too.

148 days, yo!

Like this, not like the gas station.
Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
Satellite Theater for life!
Arco on

• TimeCruiserMikeTimeCruiserMike Past Organizer of the West Coast Train Trip San Fernando ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    so . . that's like a . . . 20-25 minute walk . . . I could do that. I think.

TimeCruiserMike on
    SkOelFN.png
    {Fondly remembers the PAXTrain}
  • ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Honestly, it's looking like we're going to go with The Garage. I just had a very encouraging phone call with them. We'd have a private bowling alley, pool tables, a huge projector, our own bartender, food, and probably drink tickets, for cheaper than last year's party. It sounds awesome. I'm going to have someone in the Seattle area head over there to check out the space, but it sounds great.

Arco on
  • sobjwsobjw Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    That sounds super awesome!

sobjw on
    I live on a farm.
  • emimonsteremimonster Silicon ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm totally down for the after party! I live across the lake, but I think I've been there for bowling once, though not for a private party.
    This is a video of a private party there:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95gBHDD_PN8

emimonster on
  • chaosisorderchaosisorder Cupcake Princess and Pinny Whore OregonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'd say whatever is easiest on you. If The Garage is being helpful and awesome, then go with it. The walk is certainly not so far that we don't make it there in full wizard regalia, I'm sure we can make it there sober and dress normally :)

chaosisorder on
  • ukiyo eukiyo e Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    We did a tweetup there at PAX 2009. Great place.

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
  • iguyiguy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    For those not familiar with where the Garage is in relation to the WSTCC, it is technically walking distance, but it will be uphill the entire way up until you reach Broadway. Just so you know.

p.s. the pike street route is less steep than the madison route.....or at least it feels that way to me.

iguy on
  • beta_angelbeta_angel ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Arco wrote: »
    Honestly, it's looking like we're going to go with The Garage. I just had a very encouraging phone call with them. We'd have a private bowling alley, pool tables, a huge projector, our own bartender, food, and probably drink tickets, for cheaper than last year's party. It sounds awesome. I'm going to have someone in the Seattle area head over there to check out the space, but it sounds great.

I frequent the Garage pretty regularly.

From PAX, it's a bit of a hike because, as was mentioned it's all uphill. It's not a *horrible* walk, but it's certainly not great.

From a venue perspective, I had looked at having the Pre-PAX Dinner there last year, but it wasn't in the cards. However, the venue is awesome. The bartenders are all very cool, the games and whatnot are a lot of fun and the food is definitely a step-up from standard bar-fare. Overall, it's a great choice and Arco? I owe you for last year as I wasn't able to make it but this year, you're damn right I'm buying my ticket. :D

beta_angel on
    UEAKCrash wrote:
    BETA IS FUCKING CREDIT TO TEAM.
    EvilBadman wrote:
    Beta_Angel is awesome. Never doubt this.
    TF2 Hatpack
  • basicallygeekbasicallygeek Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Walking a little doesn't bother me. I had a great time last year and expect the same this year, regardless of venue. Variety isn't a bad thing either!

basicallygeek on
  • RicinRicin Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Walking a little doesn't bother me. I had a great time last year and expect the same this year, regardless of venue. Variety isn't a bad thing either!

I am planning to go to one of these Pre-PAX/Post-PAX parties, How much would one of the soirees cost a person. Also how much for a cab ... I am not walking back from a bar tipsy.

Ricin

Ricin on
  • beta_angelbeta_angel ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Ricin, it depends.

I haven't begun planning for the Pre-PAX Dinner, but that's probably going to be around $30. I think last year, the Post-PAX Party was $60?

A cab from the Garage (or area around it) back down to PAX is probably $5 - 7 bucks at most, I would guess.

beta_angel on
    UEAKCrash wrote:
    BETA IS FUCKING CREDIT TO TEAM.
    EvilBadman wrote:
    Beta_Angel is awesome. Never doubt this.
    TF2 Hatpack
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Having closed out my PAX-perience the last 2 years at the PPP, you bet your sweet ass I'm making it to Part Trois.

Garage/Taphouse, as long as there is beer + games + friends, that's all that matters.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    edited April 2011
    Last year, Post-PAX Party was $40. I'm hoping to lower the price this year, or at least include drink ticket(s) if the price remains the same.

Arco on
  • Weenog42Weenog42 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Damn Arco, you are one early bird. A better deal is worth the walk, imo.

Weenog42 on
  • NewSinNewSin Registered User new member
    edited April 2011
    New here but I have been to this place and its pretty awesome. The walk isnt bad especially if your walking with others lol. I agree with what others have said.. If the location is being helpful and working with you then go for it, sounds like people like the idea :)

NewSin on
  • ukiyo eukiyo e Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Just set up pre-post-pax party meeting locations at the hotels where people can split cabs over there. It'll be dirty cheap.

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
  • TeeArrWilliamsTeeArrWilliams Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I've already got my flight booked because PAX has become part of a MUCH larger vacation to the Seattle area. Because of the timing of the flight, I've got some questions about this mysterious PPP.

I'm flying out of SEA at 6:00AM Monday morning after PAX, so I'd have to be at the airport at 4:30AM at the latest. I think this leaves room in my schedule to party it up!

Is this Post-Pax-Party immediately after the closing ceremonies? Would I be able to kill enough time at the party that I could go straight to the airport? (yes, I know it would still be absurdly early in the morning.)

Is there gonna be anything special about getting to the airport from any of the proposed locations for the PPP?

TeeArrWilliams on
  • basicallygeekbasicallygeek Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah as Arco and beta_angel said, $30-40. Both prices fairly reasonable for me. I didn't know many people at either, but the good food (and Rock Band post Pax) made everything ok. It's true that if you do all the pre- and post- things, such as MMT, dinner, party, you're spending some dough, but TOTALLY worth it IMO for the opportunity to meet people.

basicallygeek on
    edited April 2011
    I've already got my flight booked because PAX has become part of a MUCH larger vacation to the Seattle area. Because of the timing of the flight, I've got some questions about this mysterious PPP.

I'm flying out of SEA at 6:00AM Monday morning after PAX, so I'd have to be at the airport at 4:30AM at the latest. I think this leaves room in my schedule to party it up!

Is this Post-Pax-Party immediately after the closing ceremonies? Would I be able to kill enough time at the party that I could go straight to the airport? (yes, I know it would still be absurdly early in the morning.)

Is there gonna be anything special about getting to the airport from any of the proposed locations for the PPP?

Last year it was an hour after, I think. I like to give people the opportunity to filter out of PAX, change, etc. before the party starts. I also use that hour to put the finishing touches on stuff.

Traditionally, the party "proper" has gone from like 8:00-11:00, or something like that. However there's plenty of partying that goes on past that. I know for the last two PPPs at The Taphouse, we've stayed there en masse until they closed at like 2:00am. If you want to stay up and have fun, there are ample opportunities on Sunday.

As far as getting to the airport, that's all you. I'd suggest cabbing it.

Arco on
  • WormdundeeWormdundee Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Sweet, you are up on this fast Arco. Garage sounds great.
    Ricin wrote: »
    I am planning to go to one of these Pre-PAX/Post-PAX parties, How much would one of the soirees cost a person. Also how much for a cab ... I am not walking back from a bar tipsy.

Why not? I walked miles back to my hotel after the bar crawl (admittedly because I walked in the wrong direction first :P) and I didn't die. I actually quite enjoy walking through a city at midnight-2 am, it's not like it's dangerous.

Wormdundee on
    edited April 2011
    Wormdundee wrote: »

Why not? I walked miles back to my hotel after the bar crawl (admittedly because I walked in the wrong direction first :P) and I didn't die. I actually quite enjoy walking through a city at midnight-2 am, it's not like it's dangerous.

Cause I don't want to walk around any city half-drunk. it may not be dangerous for you. I am going by myself and I do not believe in a scenario where inebriation in a foreign environment by myself is a good idea.

Ricin

Ricin on
    edited April 2011
    Oh well I assumed you would be staying in one of the 'main' hotels that most people stay in. In those cases there are generally at least 10 other people that you can go back with.

Wormdundee on
  • hml151hml151 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If you want to do the pub walk, just make friends. The groups will walk others back to there hotels for safety. If my group does it, it will be close to ten of us and I know we would be willing to walk people back. My mothering instincts can't help!

hml151 on
    Max sig size: 500x80px OR 4 lines of text
    School Girl Goodness...Watch for us at future PAX Prime events. If want some of my geek chic collection, click on the etsy link.

http://s774.photobucket.com/user/SchoolGirlGoodness/library/
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VeronatheMad

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2011
    I understand your points Wormdundee and hml151. I am staying at the Grand Hyatt Seattle and probably could find a group of people going. But I am always a pessimistic thinker and am planning for the worst.

Ricin

Ricin on
  • hml151hml151 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Just remember you are surrounded by geeky/nerdy video gaming people that all just want to have fun and meet alike people.

hml151 on
    Max sig size: 500x80px OR 4 lines of text
    School Girl Goodness...Watch for us at future PAX Prime events. If want some of my geek chic collection, click on the etsy link.

http://s774.photobucket.com/user/SchoolGirlGoodness/library/
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VeronatheMad

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, you're surrounded constantly by other PAXers during the weekend, it's not hard to latch on to some.

I did this the first year and skipped last. First year was fun but also rather crowded, I think the walk may be worth it and I'll be watching this.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • KjeldorKjeldor Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011
    Had a good time at the PPP last year, one of my fav parts was when two guys from bioware were quizzing my friend about dragon age (as he was playing through it at the time), and it being super obvious to me that they worked for bioware, but my friend had no idea until they told him.

definitely will have to keep an eye on things this year, looking to keep costs down this time around, but this place does sound cool so might have to work it in.

Kjeldor on
  • SageheartSageheart Tampa, FLRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I had a blast at the PPP last year. Definately up for doing it again where ever it is!

Sageheart on
    Tickets + Flight + Hotel = SEE YOU AT PAX 2012!
    Pre-PAX Dinner | Tri-Wizard Drinking Tournament | Post-PAX Party
    2012 Prime Buttoneer (Main | Bonus)
    Ravenclaw Death Eaters, Head Boy - Ravenclaw DE is on Twitter and Facebook!
    edited April 2011
    I understand your points Wormdundee and hml151. I am staying at the Grand Hyatt Seattle and probably could find a group of people going. But I am always a pessimistic thinker and am planning for the worst.

Ricin

It's cool, just trying to save you some money. :)

Wormdundee on
  • VinterVinter Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    What day is the post party usually on? Sunday or Monday?

Vinter on
    The building was on fire, and it wasn't my fault.

Xbox GT: Master Vinter Steam: Vinter PSN: VinterM 3DS: 4699-5853-7381
    edited April 2011
    This party will be on Sunday, probably an hour or more after PAX officially ends.

Arco on
    edited April 2011
    That time frame is good. I like that it gives me time to clean up and then head to the PPP

Ricin on
  • PythosPythos Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I think The Garage would be a very cool place to have the PPP, as you said it was on the TWDT and it was a pretty cool spot. I've missed the PPP the last two years, but I'm planning to attend this year. I'm going to try to get the rest of my group committed (to the party) as well. Looking forward to drunk-ish bowling.

Pythos on
    PinnyPal Lanyard

azNQyjX.png

XBLA: Pythos07
  • VenerableMonsterVenerableMonster Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Sounds like a solid idea. I loved the PPP last year. Had a great time rockin' Bon Jovi or somethin'. I look forward to doin' the same again this year. Just bought my Pax pass, wooo.

VenerableMonster on
  • EmptyAyEmptyAy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Last year was my first PAX, and this year I'm ready to do EVERYTHING! I made sure to book the hotel until Monday specifically so I could make the PPP, so I'm in for sure, with anywhere from +5 to +8 joining me. The Garage looks awesome, so I'm all for this!

EmptyAy on
  • Jenny_SpaghettiJenny_Spaghetti I am 3 ginger midgets in a trench coat. Calgary, CanadalandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I hope I get in on this this time around. It was all full up before I even heard about it last year. :P

Jenny_Spaghetti on
  • LumenadducereLumenadducere Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Definitely enjoyed this last year and would be interested in the venue regardless of the change in distance. Worst-case scenario we'll get a large group of us together for the walk back, right?

I'll be keeping an eye out on any developments!

Lumenadducere on
    edited April 2011
    Question:

How far are people willing to travel for this? My assumption is that a few blocks from PAX is the limit, but I could be wrong. There are some interesting venues in Seattle that are catching my eye, but I'm not sure the attendance would be as high if cabs, cars, or public transit got involved.

Might be throwing a poll up.

Arco on
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Going off Google Maps it's only 15-20 minute walk from the convention center which isn't that bad.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I've made those walks for PAX events plenty. What's wrong with walking? :D

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png