As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

replacing carpet

bowenbowen How you doin'?Registered User regular
edited April 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So, as I said in another thread I'm on my way out the door of this apartment. Unfortunately the area our litter box is in has had an accident while I was out of town for a day and that has resulted in some dried cat byproducts that has stained the carpet and my shampooer was unable to get it out.

I obviously don't want to pay the apartment complex $texas to fix a 10x10 foot area of carpet (not even, the cat problem is probably about 6x2). Of course the rest of the carpet in the apartment needs to be replaced because it's so old and worn down (not to mention has stains from previous renters).

So H&A what are my options to dealing with this? Can I bring a little bit of carpet to a store or something? Or should I work out some deal with the landlord?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
bowen on

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    did you try a steam vac like the kind you can rent from a grocery store?

Xaquin on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I actually own a steamvac, yeah. I can't imagine the grocery store one is much more powerful (I've rented one in the past).

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    edited April 2011
    gotcha.

In that case, is the 10x10 area separate from any other carpeted area? Like if you replace it, would it be super obvious?

I put in 12x21 s/f of carpet in my house recently for about $400

it could be done way cheaper DIY

Xaquin on
    edited April 2011
    No it's all connected unfortunately. But it looks like typical 1980's cheap ass apartment-brown carpet.

bowen on
    edited April 2011
    much as I hate to say it, you're probably better off talking to the apartment guys =/

unless some kind of super cleaning device can be found

Xaquin on
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    You might look into a professional carpet cleaning service, they have a lot of chemicals and tools beyond steam cleaners that could get the job done.

Also, does your lease require you to replace the carpet? Usually that is one of the things the security deposit is for, and anything beyond is not your liability as a renter.

Enc on
    edited April 2011
    It does, unfortunately. That's why I'm trying to do this for under $500, because that's what they've quoted in the lease agreement for damage in about the size that's damaged. Ultimately I think that because it's been a day that the stain has probably gotten down to the pad anyways.

bowen on
  • Reverend_ChaosReverend_Chaos Suit Up! Spokane WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    You should also check tenent laws. Where I live, carpet has to be replaced every ten years. It it's less than ten years, they have to pro-rate the replacement, so they could only charge you half of the carpet if it's 5 years old, and nothing if it's more than 10 years old. But if you don't know that, they'll almost always charge you the whole amount.

Reverend_Chaos on
    “Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”
  • useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    You should also check tenent laws. Where I live, carpet has to be replaced every ten years. It it's less than ten years, they have to pro-rate the replacement, so they could only charge you half of the carpet if it's 5 years old, and nothing if it's more than 10 years old. But if you don't know that, they'll almost always charge you the whole amount.

This.

My wife had to do this in every apartment she ever owned. Damn dog.

useless4 on
    edited April 2011
    Hmm I will do that, thanks both.

bowen on
    edited April 2011
    I'm having a hell of a time finding local tenant laws for where I live, if anyone else could lend a hand I'll give you my more immediate area in a PM.

bowen on
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Is it a tan carpet?

if it is a noticeably darker spot than the rest you can always try bleach. Yes you should never bleach your own carpet , but this is not your carpet, its a rental.

it should work. My dog has stomach issues and one day at work she pooped all over our basement. while cleaning with steam etc was able to get rid of most of the stains, there were some stubborn spots that were noticeably darker. I used some Clorox clean up and it was able to lighten up the spots to better match the rest of the carpet. It won't be a perfect match but you can have it blend in. If the rest of the carpet is stained, even better.

Just be mindful of the time its on and do it in small amounts. Think thin layers rather than huge puddle

Try that before jumping right to carpet replacing.

If you need to go with replacement:
    If you have a random scrap you can cut out a squareish area around the stain and drop in a replacement pretty easily. If its relatively shaggy carpet it should blend in nicely. Just make sure you use a sharp utility knife to cut it so your edges are clean.

If you don't have a random scrap around, you can see if there is carpeting in your closets, and then go to the way back or sides of it and cut out a section and use that.

the third option is go to your big box home improvement store and see if they have any samples/remnants that match, though its a 6 foot size piece this wont work

I had to replace a small patch of carpet in an old house that went down to the wood (silly dog). Luckily there as a rug in our garage made out of the same carpet and was able to cut that.

I would try the bleach though, if you can get it close enough, then they might not even notice, defintiely don't mention it to them, only say something if they do.

mts on
    camo_sig.png
    edited April 2011
    Hmm, yeah I may try that. It's definitely in splotches and it's more "oops I peed on the floor because I'm a dumb cat that waits to the last second before I go pee for some reason." and it happened, I'm guessing, right after I left because by the time I Got home the carpet was as hard as a rock and orange instead of brown.

Fuck I hate animals.

bowen on
    edited April 2011
    hmm, if its a light spot the bleach might just make it orange.

if you have to go darker, see if a brown sharpie will work, or maybe even a dye like you would make a tie-dye shirt with

mts on
    camo_sig.png
    edited April 2011
    also start in a small spot obviously

mts on
    camo_sig.png
    edited April 2011
    Ah it's already orange, can't make it more orange!

bowen on
    edited April 2011
    well the stuff thats brown still. you will want to blend in.

its actually surprisingly easy to patch carpet in small spots if you go that route

mts on
    camo_sig.png
    edited April 2011
    Yeah it's not a large chunk but small probably 1x1 foot spots here and there in the total area. The entire closet that the litter box is in is beyond repair though I Think unless I can find a chunk big enough.

bowen on
  • NeylaNeyla Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Did you look into something like a pet stain remover? I can't remember what it was called, but i do recall seeing something at the vet's office once. Something like:

http://www.odorandstainremover.com/store/cat_urine.html

I haven't personally used any products like this, when i found out the ONLY 4x4 section of carpet in the house was going to be used for "rug races" and hair balls I invested in the Little Green Machine. God I love that thing! Must have for pet owners!

Neyla on
    13142111181576.png
    edited April 2011
    I have and it doesn't work. My next step is getting the steam cleaner solution specifically designed to remove urine. But if that doesn't work I'm just going to work out a deal.

bowen on
    edited April 2011
    i doubt it will work. if its urine that has been sitting on the carpet its probably just bleached through from the urea rather than just a stain on it.

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • NeylaNeyla Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Oh wow, that's a tough stain then, sorry to hear. Even letting it soak for 5 mins yields no result? Usally any sort of enzymatic cleaner should work. :(

Neyla on
    13142111181576.png
    edited April 2011
    Yeah the only thing I haven't tried is a vinegar/water mix and just absorbing the shit out of the carpet then trying to soak it up.

bowen on
  • LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    You said the carpet has stains from previous renters. Did you document the stains, maybe photograph them? If so, how will the landlord prove you've done the damage? When LewieP and his sister went to Uni, we made sure to document and photograph all the stains and damage in their rooms in their halls of residence, so that when they moved out, their universities couldn't try to blame them for the damage. They tried to, but failed as we could prove it was already there.

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
    edited April 2011
    Oh I forgot.
    A secret "temp fix for horrible problems" solution is woolight.
    Put it in a steam vac for light colored carpet and oh my god stain gone.
    In about three weeks though it's BACK.

For moving out though it works well. They should replace the carpet if it's old anyways!

useless4 on
    edited April 2011
    You said the carpet has stains from previous renters. Did you document the stains, maybe photograph them? If so, how will the landlord prove you've done the damage? When LewieP and his sister went to Uni, we made sure to document and photograph all the stains and damage in their rooms in their halls of residence, so that when they moved out, their universities couldn't try to blame them for the damage. They tried to, but failed as we could prove it was already there.

We did, this is very clearly new damage though and not something we touched upon when we moved in (with the signed lease + current issues).

But yeah they should definitely replace the carpet as it's way older than 10 years.

bowen on
    edited April 2011
    It uh, seems the problem is semi-solved now. Basement flooded because someone put muddy clothes in the washing machine which basically flooded the spot in my apartment (right near the door next to the washing machines) that was problematic.

bowen on
  • Reverend_ChaosReverend_Chaos Suit Up! Spokane WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    um....awesome.

Report the water damage ASAP

Reverend_Chaos on
    “Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”
    edited April 2011
    haha cool (so long as none of your stuff was ruined)

Xaquin on
    edited April 2011
    [strike]how convenient[/strike] what a shame that your [strike]evidence is covered up[/strike] and your carpet needs to be replaced. curse that "someone" and their "muddy clothes"

mts on
    camo_sig.png
    edited April 2011
    Thank god I got that "basement flooding" coverage this year. No joke. So even if it comes back on me, now I've got flood protection!

bowen on
    edited April 2011
    bowen wrote: »
    It uh, seems the problem is semi-solved now. Basement flooded because someone put muddy clothes in the washing machine which basically flooded the spot in my apartment (right near the door next to the washing machines) that was problematic.

WEIRD . SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME IN A RENTAL SAVING ME FROM REPLACING THE CARPET! (except ours was a toilet. Know the thing in the middle that holds the float up? split right down the seam and sprayed water for 8 or so hours)

useless4 on
    edited April 2011
    I don't know if I'm lucky or what. Hm.

bowen on