As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ar Tonelico III: Knell of Ar Ciel [PS3] - they still be crazy.

• GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    In regards to the spoiler
    It probably will, but don't worry too much. Hyuma effects are much more important, and I think Saki gets some stronger ones earlier than Finnel does. She definitely gets healing boosts earlier than Finnel and that combined with defense up is the key to surviving hard mode fights.

Gilder on
  • Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Gilder wrote: »
    In regards to the spoiler
    It probably will, but don't worry too much. Hyuma effects are much more important, and I think Saki gets some stronger ones earlier than Finnel does. She definitely gets healing boosts earlier than Finnel and that combined with defense up is the key to surviving hard mode fights.

Yeah, you're probably right. The fights have been much easier since I started investing in getting Supermoves, too. Aoto's Drill move is freaking aggressive and awesome.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
    edited April 2011
    Oh for fuck's sake:
    You can't even sneeze without Saki leaving the party. How the fuck am I supposed to get enough DP to do her freaking cosmosphere levels if she keeps getting forced out of my party?!

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    edited April 2011
    Yep, that's why Level 4 (I think) of her cosmosphere is awful. You need around 21k DP to do all the option because there's an optional 3k, a CG 8k, and then a required 5k on top of all the other stuff. It sounds like you're in Phase 2 and if you are then that's the last time that's going to happen for a bit. It's time for plot to mess with Finnel now.

Oh and like I said earlier in the thread if you want to switch to hard mode now's the time if you're in Phase 2. Phase 1 is just too difficult on hard your first run, but after that is okay and I stuck with it for the rest of the game.

Edit: Oh yeah, super special bonus tip for you. You may want to head back to Eternus Shaft and Ciela Gate and buy one or two of their weapons for Aoto. You'll be thankful you have them when you want to make a supermove and you actually have that crappy Crab Claw Sword to make the weapon required for the move.

Gilder on
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, Phase 1 got really piss easy by the end of it. Everyone in the party was at level 21-22, and just mopping the floor with the enemies, sometimes before Finnel could even get her first Purge available.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    edited April 2011
    That's exactly why I switched to hard mode. I was tired of taking out enemies without ever using song magic. It kind of defeated the purpose of the game. That will not happen in hard mode. The only way you'll win is with song magic. I mean I never switched back to normal to see if the jump wasn't really that big and you still need song magic in normal, but you definitely do in hard.

Gilder on
    edited April 2011
    Also another thing that I found amusing is that you get low-grade healing items so easily through battle victories. All you have to do is potion spam to survive half the fights in Phase 1.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    edited April 2011
    Yeah don't expect them to keep doing that. They will for a while, but then it's a dry well and you'll have to buy them. I'm pretty sure they're % based healing though so they always stay useful. I think the lowest is 25% and the medium is 50%.

Gilder on
    edited April 2011
    Yeah don't expect them to keep doing that. They will for a while, but then it's a dry well and you'll have to buy them. I'm pretty sure they're % based healing though so they always stay useful. I think the lowest is 25% and the medium is 50%.

Pfft, as if it matters, I'm getting Leaf up the ass. Anyway, I think it's time to grind for DP a little. From what it looks like, I'll need about 5k for Saki's level 3... and about 10-11k for Finnel's level 3... I think. Thankfully DP still goes to Reyvateils not in use.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Prices jump up quite a bit in Act 3 too. That being said keeping a respectable amount of cash isn't hard.

Dragkonias on
    edited April 2011
    Yeah it's not bad, but there is a trophy for max money and that's kind of annoying. I didn't know to do this in advance, but you want to sell everything before you beat the game. Money transfers, but NG+ phase 2 and such resets you back to how you were in that file when you first got to that part. So you don't get to keep your awesome weapons, and yes you have to resynthesize everything for the synth talk topics.

Gilder on
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Well, I found a huge bug with this game already and I haven't even started it (finally got my copy today).
    The package is missing the advertised soundtrack, even though it states it includes in on the back of the box.
    Really NISA?

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Did you order it from their store? It was a problem they had. Email 'em.

edit: it might have been from other places too, but I did hear about that

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, ordered from NISA's store themselves.
    Edit: Found the online replacement form. Still... it's annoying. And it'll probably take 3 weeks for me to get the soundtrack.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
    edited April 2011
    Yeah it's an error, but at least they addressed it. Pretty lame though.

Anyway I got to Phase 4 today in playthrough 2 and the difference in scenes between Finnel and Saki before the end of Phase 3 is really huge. Don't read this if you're planning to do both characters, but if you aren't and you're already past that part then read on.
    I really liked the scene where Aoto gets border disease if you chose Saki. I think actually showing him cry (well in CG, not game graphics) and be upset at how much he keeps failing to protect her was really good for this game. They play it down later with him asking her to forget about it, but having him finally show some emotion was really nice. I think his english VA did a good job too. It's anime as hell sure, but whatever. That's the game.

Now here's Finnel's scene. What a load of shit. All he does is make cries of pain on the ground and Finnel comes over to him. He tells her he'll protect her and blah blah blah through all the yells, and then somehow Finnel saves him. How? They don't say. She just gets power from a certain persona. Saki connected their souls together but Finnel just magically saves him. There's no real emotional involvement either like with Saki. He's just in pain. He doesn't let down the manly wall of videogame males that says they must never cry or show emotion ever. I just thought it really sucked.

Gilder on
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Holy shit
    I have yet to actually play any of Ar Tonelico, but today I discovered that a) the music is fucking amazing (namely Exec_CODEFLIPS) and b) they made up an entire language for this series which combines Sanskrit, Latin, and programming codes. Which is easily enough to sway myself in the direction of looking into maybe playing these games.
    How critical would hunting down I and II be, or should I just LP those?

Mortal Sky on
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    Holy shit
    I have yet to actually play any of Ar Tonelico, but today I discovered that a) the music is fucking amazing (namely Exec_CODEFLIPS) and b) they made up an entire language for this series which combines Sanskrit, Latin, and programming codes. Which is easily enough to sway myself in the direction of looking into maybe playing these games.

There's enough connection that it wouldn't be bad but 2 has a huge bug in it during the last boss so...I dunno. They tend to get a little spendy as well.

Plus they are really disturbing with the "insert your grathnode into me" stuff.

Magic Pink on
    edited April 2011
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    Holy shit

There's enough connection that it wouldn't be bad but 2 has a huge bug in it during the third to last boss [strike]last boss[/strike] so...I dunno. They tend to get a little spendy as well.

Plus they are really disturbing with the "insert your grathnode into me" stuff.

Fixed that for you. But yeah, the glitch is a bit of a pain, but its manageable and has tons of work-arounds. Plus, even though I haven't finished Qoga, I'd say Ar Tonelico 2 is definitely the best in the series, and worth playing first.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    edited April 2011
    The only work around I ever heard of was "grind until it's easy". What are the others?

Magic Pink on
    edited April 2011
    The only work around I ever heard of was "grind until it's easy". What are the others?

Craft a ton of those wind bombs that do 3,000 damage and spam them until you do 30,000 damage. The other is getting a ton of I.P.Ds for Replakia and just use your strongest Song Magic during Replakia.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    edited April 2011
    Oh, cool. I'll have to remember that.

Magic Pink on
    edited April 2011
    Actually Mortal Sky what region are you in? Because only the US version of 2 has the bug. The PAL version is fine.

Gilder on
    edited April 2011
    The PAL version is fine.

emot-argh.gif

Magic Pink on
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Well, I found a huge bug with this game already and I haven't even started it (finally got my copy today).
    The package is missing the advertised soundtrack, even though it states it includes in on the back of the box.
    Really NISA?
    It sucks that it happened, but why it happened was completely out of our control. i.e. packaging error at the manufacturer

Houk the Namebringer on
  • KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The PAL version is fine.

emot-argh.gif

I wish I could lime that smiley.

Mortal Sky, IMO the first game in the series is the best of the three, so I'd highly recommend playing it, as long as you don't mind somewhat dated graphics.

Also, NISA recently issued a reprint of it so you can get it fairly cheap, though it looks like NISA's sold out. Still only $30 on amazon, and it's worth that.

I enjoyed AT2, but it's overall not quite as good. The combat's better (and beating the third to last boss with the bug is really easy, you just use replakia in round 2) but everything else is a bit worse. It's still one of my favorite RPGs on the PS2, so it's worth a look.

I'm not sure what used prices for the games are these days, but I imagine they'd be kind of hard to find.

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
    edited April 2011
    Hey so if you guys thought that maybe AT3 wouldn't crash for its optional boss battle you're wrong. There seems to be a 50% chance of it freezing when they use their special move in the third fight. Its happened twice now and it sucks a lot, because you can't break their cast. The only way to do it is if you have a super move charged up or you spam items I guess. After I do this once and get the gallery image I'm not doing it again.

Edit: Third time's the charm it seems. I think it's a freeze related to the music changing after they use their move a few times. It seems like after 3 or 4 uses the music changes and then it usually froze. I basically had to build up a 500,000% charge to knock them out once I used all my supermoves. You need to use them to stop the charge and hope they don't do another one right after. If you can build up that much of a charge with your strongest persona with level 4 attack you should be able to knock them out.

Gilder on
    edited April 2011
    ANOTHER boss glitch? Seriously, NISA. Seriously.

Magic Pink on
    edited April 2011
    I'm pretty sure it's related to the music and special moves in general. I've had the game freeze after I used Gojo's supermove before, and every other freeze aside from that boss one has been music related. Starting a battle, purging, and battle ending. I'm not the only one that's been suffering from these freezes either, so it's a common problem.

Gilder on
  • chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Seeing as the NIS store is showing this as no longer available, it looks like Ill need to go hunt a copy down elsewhere. Sadface, I was just kind of putting the purchase off until Id finally beaten 2 (Haha.. at the last area. Just kind of... stopped.) but now it looks like I better find a copy before they become a pain to get.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The ending to 2 is actually not that bad, but I definitely understand the process of losing interest in the game over the course of it. By the end I was basically doing it out of obligation, too :P

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
    edited April 2011
    Well I chose Jacqli, so I wanted to see the ending. I guess if you chose Cloche or Luca you wouldn't care because they both suck. Or maybe you were creepy and chose Cocona. I like to believe that nobody willingly chose Cocona though for their first run. They have to have done it just to see what it was.

Gilder on
    edited April 2011
    Well I chose Jacqli, so I wanted to see the ending. I guess if you chose Cloche or Luca you wouldn't care because they both suck. Or maybe you were creepy and chose Cocona. I like to believe that nobody willingly chose Cocona though for their first run. They have to have done it just to see what it was.

Cloche's ending wasn't bad. I hated Luca though.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    edited April 2011
    So guess what I discovered a little while ago. You know those screens that tell you you unlocked another Purge level? Those screens that are only like 4 dialogue boxes long? There's a song that I'm pretty sure only plays for those screens and nowhere else in the entire game. You probably never hear it past the boring opening chords, but if you wait like 15 seconds then it actually becomes a pretty catchy tune. I don't know why they decided to put a song there considering you'll read that screen in 5 seconds every time it shows up.

Gilder on
    edited April 2011
    Oh my god, the maximum money value isn't 999,999? It goes to a million? So the max value is 9,999,999?! That..... that may make getting the platinum impossible. That's ridiculous. I didn't sell my stuff after my Saki run, but I did for Finnel and the third and I only just broke 1 million.

Gilder on
  • Glenn565Glenn565 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It's 10 million, yeah. There's apparently a grindy way to get that much, but the video I found for it is in Japanese.

Glenn565 on
    3DS code:4511-0654-1976
    NNID: Glenn565
    edited April 2011
    Yeah I see that the trick is buying the materials for lethal frills, making, and then selling them. I noticed how much that sold for the first time I sold all my stuff. It's a 500k profit for 15,000 DP or something. So each Reyvatail can hold 99,999 DP for 3 million each. So you only need to earn one million on your own, and then it would probably be a good idea to reset to keep all your DP for other playthroughs. I can do that thankfully, but still. If you don't know to sell that specific item you'll be grinding forever.

Gilder on
    edited April 2011
    Haha, see, this is why I don't bother with Platinum trophies. They steal your soul.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    edited April 2011
    Just two endings left now, bad and reject everybody. The latter is already at the final save before the last dungeon so I'll do it tonight, and then for bad I'll use the clear save and start at the M.Y.U. fight. The only trophies I'll be missing after that are 100 retreats, all treasure chests, and 100 hours. The treasure chest one is starting to piss me off, because every time I think I got them all I find out there was one I got in a previous run that I forgot to get on the current one. Like whoops, I'm sorry I didn't go back to the Lymph Vessel game. Forgive me for not getting those two treasure chests that I would have gotten if you didn't automatically teleport me out once the cutscenes finished. I think this time I got everything, but if I didn't I'll get the 100 escapes while I look around for any I missed. If I really can't get it in a NG+ file I'll have to load up my first run end-game save.

Also both normal endings in Phase 3 are shitty as hell. Because you don't fight the real boss they just use a different one that doesn't make any sense, it seems really rushed, and Finnel's ending is awful. Saki's actual ending is alright, but everything leading up to it is the same as Finnel's. So it's crap. The third's normal ending is okay, but it's kind of random. Like everything you've been doing up until that point just gets set on pause for a bit.

Gilder on
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm pretty sure it's related to the music and special moves in general. I've had the game freeze after I used Gojo's supermove before, and every other freeze aside from that boss one has been music related. Starting a battle, purging, and battle ending. I'm not the only one that's been suffering from these freezes either, so it's a common problem.
    Hey just out of curiosity, where else did you hear about other people having this issue? Is it being discussed somewhere else online so I can go check it out and maybe we can take a look at it here in the office? That's the first we've heard of it (and with everything that happened with AT2 we put in super extra time trying to eradicate all those stupid freeze bugs).

Houk the Namebringer on
    edited April 2011
    I just see it on gamefaqs if I search for Ar Tonelico Qoga freeze in google. Some people think it's due to a bad install, because after they reinstall they say it seems to be okay for a while. The most common freezes are loading a battle (Freezing due to the Reyvatail music loading up) and before Mute fights (Due to Cutypump). I've also managed to do like 15 hours with no freezes at all. Now I have had my PS3 freeze on other stuff because I think it's a model with a shitty fan so it can't cool itself properly and the PS3 has the worst fan placement, so that might be why I've had it freeze in battle and after Gojo's supermove. Nobody else seems to mention freezes for those things and those were one time only after 72 hours. However I had the optional boss freeze it 3 times, and it was always after they spammed their move a few times to change the song to their theme. So I don't think that was an overheating issue.

Gilder on