As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The All-New All-Purpose Doujn Games Thread -- Touhou 12.⑨: Fat Cirno Attack

• PataPata Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    CygnusZ wrote: »

Higurashi and Umineko spoilers (up to ep 5)
    Yes, I really think the parody goes too far.

1) The message bottles final page is exactly the same as the final page in Oishi's book from Higurashi Ep 4.

2) Battler directly references Ep 7 of Higurashi when he states that Beatrice may be leaving him for last to make him feel alone and afraid.

3) Both Lambda Delta and Takano are maniac fans of Galaxy Express 999. Similarly, they both express apathy towards the classic Japanese novel, Night of the Galaxy Express.

4) Putting Okonogi in the story was pointless enough. To we really need a carbon copy of Akasaka as well? Almost in the exact same role as well.

There's more, I just can't remember it off the top of my head. The thing is filled with Higurashi references.

The basic premise of the story indicates, at least so far to me, that they're not part of the same universe. On the most basic level, Rika was never able to travel between worlds, she was merely ferried between them by Hanyuu. A few tidbits of fanservice would have been cute, but the problem with so much of it is that it's constantly pulling me into comparing it with Higurashi. As good as Umineko is, IMHO the scenario, writing, characters and story of Higurashi was just more well thought out and fully realized. Which is shame, because Umineko is really good, it's just not quite striking that perfect balance that Higurashi did. So far at least, Umineko still has 3 more episodes to go.

Anyway finished episode 5. I still have no clue what the sin of 6 years ago was, but I'm going to guess that it's not related Natsuhi's sin of 19 years ago and that neither Natsuhi nor Battler are the culprit.

Absolutely insane predictions:

Kanon and Shanon are robots. At minimum they're incapable of having children.
    Battler is Kinzo. (this makes absolutely no sense)
    Well, technically, Bernkastel isn't Rika. She's a witch that was born from her. And who's the Akasaka copy? I really have no idea who you could be talking about.

Also, it's Lambadelta, one word. :P

And I disagree on Higurashi being better. Umineko is a lot more of an interesting tale, if you ask me.

Just remember this, the mystery of the games can be solved by Episode 4.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • setrajonassetrajonas Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Bunch of Under Night screenshots, and a couple of Executioner (Powerd hurf) Ciel.
    http://www.4gamer.net/games/128/G012841/20110207001/

setrajonas on
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    What the fuck does in-birth even mean.

Any chance of them putting it out on a western friendly console?

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • CyborgZetaCyborgZeta Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It's pretty likely they'll release a PS3 version at the least.

CyborgZeta on
    "Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than Hell itself...That is coffee." - Godot
    edited February 2011
    So is this the game where they finally get into HD?

Antihippy on
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The new characters look neat.

Wish I had decent access to a MB game newer than AC, now that my ps2 kicked the bucket.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
    edited February 2011
    setrajonas on
    edited February 2011
    I dunno how much I'm affected by anime by now, but I dunno if it's bad that I didn't know that the red long haired evil looking one was actually female till I read that she is.

game is looking good though.

Antihippy on
    edited February 2011
    Not HD yet, but widescreen? Looks weird.

And Linne may be the first loli I could really get behind. Like what I see so far.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • aunsophaunsoph Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Antihippy wrote: »
    I dunno how much I'm affected by anime by now, but I dunno if it's bad that I didn't know that the red long haired evil looking one was actually female till I read that she is.

Pretty sure it's a male. If you look at the portrait art for the character, those are pecs and not breasts. So it's just another androgynous anime pretty-boy.

Anyway, I'm psyched for this. None of the characters so far have piqued my interest as a potential main, but I'd have to see more footage. There are still 6 characters left to reveal anyway. :D

aunsoph on
    edited February 2011
    Page- wrote: »
    Not HD yet, but widescreen? Looks weird.

And Linne may be the first loli I could really get behind. Like what I see so far.

Nope, it's 1280x720 widescreen. Speaking of which, someone uploaded an HD version of the trailer.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4LlU0CSkGg

setrajonas on
    edited February 2011
    aunsoph wrote: »
    Antihippy wrote: »

Pretty sure it's a male. If you look at the portrait art for the character, those are pecs and not breasts. So it's just another androgynous anime pretty-boy.

Anyway, I'm psyched for this. None of the characters so far have piqued my interest as a potential main, but I'd have to see more footage. There are still 6 characters left to reveal anyway. :D

Hmmm, looking back at the reports, the ones saying that it's female might have been misinformed.

Gotta say I'm not in love with the art style, but the gameplay so far looks pretty great.

Antihippy on
    edited February 2011
    I said it was widescreen. O_o

Page- on
    stream
  • aunsophaunsoph Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Now that we can watch that video in HD, the quality of the sprites is even more evident. The animations feel like they could be slightly smoother, but I'm not going to complain too much.

Loving the 3d backgrounds, BTW.

aunsoph on
  • RawrBearRawrBear Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    OOo, actual game play from that French Bread fighter, color me interested. I'll always have a soft spot for melty.

RawrBear on
    edited February 2011
    It definitely looks like Melty Blood.

Pata on
  • RawrBearRawrBear Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Sounds like melty blood too. Something about the music is super similar.

RawrBear on
  • CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Finished ep 6. Here are my thoughts:
    Amakusa was ordered by Okonogi to kill Enjie after disposing of Sugimadera in order to get his hands on the Ushiromiya fortune.

Erika was present for all episodes. Her (maybe his?) corpse drifted onto the island and was used a replacement corpse for various murder.

Why can love only blossom between either Kanon or Shanon, but not both? Perhaps they're both the same person, and any time we see them together it's "fantasy" (But then how do you explain different corpses?)

Everything that's summoned needs an object that it's based on. Sakutaro is Rosa's doll. I realize that the siesta sisters are probably the toy dolls that Rosa bought for her as well. Ronway is Genji? Warugaria is Kumosawa?

When they cry everybody dies. The probably will be resolved in eighth episode, but it seems that no matter what everybody dies in an explosion.

Feel free to reply if you want. No spoilers for ep 7-8 kthx

CygnusZ on
    edited February 2011
    Tell me, when does Battler see both Kanon's and Shannon's corpse?

In Episode 1 he never sees Shannon's, and he only has Nanjo's word that Kanon died.

In Episode 2 Kanon's corpse "vanishes."

In Episode 3 again, Battler only ever sees Shannon's, he never goes to the chapel where Kanon is.

And in Episode 4 Kanon is again, missing. According to the story, behind a gate he can't get past in a well.

Virgilla and Ronove are pretty obviously based off Kumasawa and Genji.

Also, realize this. Shannon is also Beatrice. She also participated in the love trial. Of the three of them, only one of them could love. Because all three of them together only made one whole person.

Pata on
    edited February 2011
    Pata wrote: »
    Tell me, when does Battler see both Kanon's and Shannon's corpse?

In Episode 1 he never sees Shannon's, and he only has Nanjo's word that Kanon died.

In Episode 2 Kanon's corpse "vanishes."

In Episode 3 again, Battler only ever sees Shannon's, he never goes to the chapel where Kanon is.

And in Episode 4 Kanon is again, missing. According to the story, behind a gate he can't get past in a well.

Virgilla and Ronove are pretty obviously based off Kumasawa and Genji.

Also, realize this. Shannon is also Beatrice. She also participated in the love trial. Of the three of them, only one of them could love. Because all three of them together only made one whole person.

I hope those weren't blatant spoilers for things revealed in Ep 7. You know, which I explicitly asked you NOT to post.
    I don't think the hints can lie, and they show clearly different deaths for Shanon and Kanon.
    Also, Beatrice announces that Kanon is dead in red truth while Sharon is still alive.
    In the tea party for 4, I think that Beatrice said in red truth that the mutilated corpses are all who they seem to be.
    I don't recall the details of who saw the corpse in 3.
    I think 4 supports this theory.

CygnusZ on
    edited February 2011
    They're not.

That's pretty much information you get from Episode 6. Nothing that's revealed in Episode 7 is said there.
    The hints do lie. Like everything else it's written by Beatrice, so if it's not in red there's no guarantee of the truth.

The red truth stated that all unidentified corpses identifies can be confirmed, so if the corpse is unidentifiable (like, for instance, having its face smashed) then it's can be taken as the real deal. If the corpse is identifiable (Like, it's face still there) then there's room for doubt. Remember, in Episode 1 Battler never saw Shannon or Kanon's corpse.. In fact, he never once saw Kanon's.

Kanon can die because Kanon is just a role that the central person that is Shannon/Kanon/Beatrice assumed. When he was removed, he "died."

And pray tell, without Shannon and Kanon being the same person, how do you solve the closed room of Episode 6? You can't. It's impossible, unless you really want to think that Kanon dissolved into butterflies, his ghost entered the room, unlocked the chain and vanished.

Pata on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Why are the backgrounds in these doujiny fighters always so boring?

Didn't these devs play any SNK games?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited February 2011
    Because time/budget

Pata on
    edited February 2011
    Umineko 7 impressions
    I don't get it. If Battler had come a year later Shanon would have married George so she wouldn't have comitted the murders. If Battler had come a year earlier Shanon wouldn't have been so far over the edge? What does killing the entire Ushiromiya family have to do with Shanon's lost love? From the tea party, it sounds like Shanon was planning on killing everybody no matter what. What's the meaning of Kanon falling in love with Jessica? Kanon and Battler appear together, so his existance isn't a lie. It's unbelievable that everybody on Rokkenjima didn't realize that Shanon and Kanon were the same person though.

The tea party felt just as much like fantasy as any of the other games. Kinzo set up a bomb to blow up the entire island? Why? Are we supposed to accept "he's insane" as his motive? It was nice that we finally got to know why the shrine disappeared though. Certainly Berkenstel version of events explain a lot, but is it red truth? I'm not convinced we've really peaked into the box yet. Let's put it this way, it's been said in red truth that the Rokkenjima murders were a direct result of Battler coming to visit the island, but in the version of events that Berkenstel showed Battler had no influence.

I still feel sympathetic towards all the grandchildren and that Kinzo's children (excepting Kirie, including Yasu) are a bunch of idiots.

Will start 8 tonight.

CygnusZ on
    edited February 2011
    She didn't kill them. She set up a "murder mystery" for Battler to try and solve, it went horribly wrong and everyone died.

Remember "illusions to illusions" and "the promised reaper decends regardless of the witch's will."

Clairfying my position.
    We know that Episodes 1 and 2 are found in message bottles and most definately written by "Beatrice." The problem is that they contradict the events of reality. That is, they claim Eva died when in fact she survived.

3 and 4 are "forgeries" written by Tohya. They aren't even truly made by the "culrpit."

The events of every episode are false, they don't tell what happened. They create a scenario based off what happened. Using riddles to leak bits and peices of the real truth.

Episode 6 is, in a sense, the most revealing. In it, a fake murder mystery is set up. Yet, due to events beyond the control of person who set it up, people die for real.

Pata on
    edited February 2011
    She didn't kill them. She set up a "murder mystery" for Battler to try and solve, it went horribly wrong and everyone died.

Remember "illusions to illusions" and "the promised reaper decends regardless of the witch's will."

Clairfying my position.
    We know that Episodes 1 and 2 are found in message bottles and most definately written by "Beatrice." The problem is that they contradict the events of reality. That is, they claim Eva died when in fact she survived.

3 and 4 are "forgeries" written by Tohya. They aren't even truly made by the "culrpit."

The events of every episode are false, they don't tell what happened. They create a scenario based off what happened. Using riddles to leak bits and peices of the real truth.

Episode 6 is, in a sense, the most revealing. In it, a fake murder mystery is set up. Yet, due to events beyond the control of person who set it up, people die for real.
    Gotcha. It just contradicts the red truth that Battler's visit to Rokkenjima is what causes the murders. What Berkenstel shows is part of the truth, but clearly there's more to it.

CygnusZ on
    edited February 2011
    Actually, it dosn't.
    While Yasu didn't actually kill anyone, her setting up the mystery did lead to the tragedy that happened. If Battler hadn't shown up, it never would have happened.

Pata on
    edited February 2011
    Finished Episode 8.

Here's what I think happened:

WARNING: Intellectual Rape for Episode 8
    Yasu = Yajo Kiko = Beatrice

Basically, Battler somehow convinces Yasu to convert the gold into cash. They then murder their family, blow up the island, and flee on a motorboat. If we explain it this way, everything makes sense. Eva can't reveal what really happened because it'll hurt Enjie. Yasu and Battler assume new identities as Kiko and Toya Yajo. Battler may have actual brain damage, or suffered psychological trauma from murdering his family, or he may just be pretending. Kiko and Toya live off the family fortune for the rest of their days.

Now, the message bottles 1-4 are all written by Beatrice. 1 and 2 were prepared beforehand when she thought she'd be able to murder everyone. 3 was created to lump suspicion onto Eva. 4 was designed to 6mislead the final surviving Ushiromiya. 5 and 6 are just there to mislead the public. 7 and 8 contains elements of the truth, and are a way of Battler finally wanting to come out and meet his sister, while still keeping the "love" alive. Probably 5-8 are written by both Battler and Beatrice.

Yajo Kiko makes sense this way. She doesn't have kids because she was born a man. We can understand now why she knows so much about the Rokkenjima incident. It explains why she's an allpowerful force within the Umineko univere (after all, she's the author of it). Most importantly, it helps us understand why the Detective is presented as the villian. The entire composition was created to conceal the horrible slaughter that Battler and Yasu commited at Rokenjima, so of course they simply want Enjie to give up and be happy with a lie. It's to protect their own asses.

Here's hoping that Rei goes a bit further in explaining everything.

EDIT: The more I think about it the more it pisses me off. It's a mystery story written by the killer designed to make the reader basically forget about the awful things they did. And hey, if we're not actively trying to avoid the truth that they're mass murderers it just means that we don't have love. What a crock of shit.

Overall, I didn't think it was a good conclusion to the story. The mystery elements are interesting enough, but the central message is revolting.

CygnusZ on
    edited February 2011
    New touhoes. The name translates something like "Divine Mausoleum"

http://kourindou.exblog.jp/14332117/

setrajonas on
    edited February 2011
    Youmu's playable again?

Cool.

Pata on
  • Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Youmu's playable again?

Cool.

On the other hand, Sanae's playable again too.

Dac Vin on
    edited February 2011
    Also cool.
    I like Sanae

Pata on
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Sanae B was pretty decent, A was terrible.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2011
    Demo's out. Good luck downloading it though, all ten mirrors are down.
    http://www16.big.or.jp/~zun/html/th13top.html

setrajonas on
  • ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Played a bit of it, Youmu's focus shot is fun. Seems like I can't really build up spirits very well with her though.

Zandracon on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'll see if I can find it.

Uh, has anyone considered making a proper Touhou series thread? This OP isn't exactly informative.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited April 2011
    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited April 2011
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I'll see if I can find it.

Uh, has anyone considered making a proper Touhou series thread? This OP isn't exactly informative.

Eh, I don't really think there's enough of an audience that it needs its own thread. A general shmup thread might be ok though, if there isn't one already.

setrajonas on
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Nice to see that ZUN still can't draw.

You would think that he can just ask one of the many 10 of thousands of artist our there to draw him something. It isn't like they arn't doing it already.

Casually Hardcore on
    edited April 2011
    Zun's art has become halfway decent in recent games.

And uggggg the demo has this irritating glitch where you can't advance the text and have to wait forever for it to advance automatically.

Pata on