As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[4e DnD] (OOC) Temple of Elemental Evil

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    That was so much work for nothing.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • IlliantharIllianthar GMT -0700Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Just realized that Quinn's Virtue of Valor would have kicked in when Otinan took out the minion, so Alfonse should have 4 more HP than he does. I'm adjusting that as I work up the post for the rest of Round 1 / beginning of Round 2.

Edit: Looks like you posted that in the IC thread also, Litejedi. Thanks for the reminder.

Illianthar on
  • Bp1580Bp1580 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Death #2: On the Straight and Arrow

Bp1580 on
  • 3seed3seed Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hey Illianthar, it looks like goofed reading the power description for Valorous Smite. When it hits, it only damages one opponent, but marks enemies within three squares with Divine Sanction. That means that Archer J2 took the 18 points and that both archers are now under Divine Sanction. (It was only the first To Hit roll that would've counted.)

I've adjusted that round's entry. To summarize:

Archer J2: 18 points of damage, Divine Sanction
    Archer G2: unhurt, Divine Sanction

3seed on
    edited April 2011
    3seed wrote: »
    Hey Illianthar, it looks like goofed reading the power description for Valorous Smite. When it hits, it only damages one opponent, but marks enemies within three squares with Divine Sanction. That means that Archer J2 took the 18 points and that both archers are now under Divine Sanction. (It was only the first To Hit roll that would've counted.)

I've adjusted that round's entry. To summarize:

Archer J2: 18 points of damage, Divine Sanction
    Archer G2: unhurt, Divine Sanction

Yup, that's how I wrote it up. You can also Divine Challenge to mark another target each round, in addition to your Sanctions.

Illianthar on
    edited April 2011
    Hey Bp, the Ruffians all have +2 to all defenses when they're near eachother, so 12 vs. Reflex wouldn't have hit the first one. The other two are toast (assuming you're using your Wand of Accuracy still on the second one), but the first would have used his buddies as a shield, it seems.

Illianthar on
    edited April 2011
    Litejedi, don't forget to make your saving throw versus the immobilization and Combat Advantage. It's just a straight d20 roll, unless you have a class/race ability that gives you a bonus (it's a fear-based power, so if you have bonuses to that, they would apply).

If you get 10 or higher, then you save and both effects are dispelled.

Illianthar on
  • LitejediLitejedi New York CityRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yes, I forgot to roll the save. Thanks for reminding me, I'll do it now.

Litejedi on
    3DS FC: 1907-9450-1017
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
    edited April 2011
    Archers are done, Valesti and Faergus are up.

Those archers are making pincushions out of you guys!

Illianthar on
    edited April 2011
    Thanks for moving up, guys. Now if someone drops, I'll be able to save you without having to move.

Edit: Also, is there a reason why the archer's attack on Otinan was 1d20+9? I didn't see any combat advantage or anything like that, and there should have instead been a -2 penalty to attack (in addition to the damage), shouldn't it?

Litejedi on
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
    edited April 2011
    So far, not digging 4E that much.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
    edited April 2011
    Illianthar wrote: »
    Archers are done, Valesti and Faergus are up.

Those archers are making pincushions out of you guys!

Yeah, tell me about it. Don't be surprised if Otinan glares at anyone with a bow from now on :P

Bp1580 on
    edited April 2011
    Litejedi wrote: »
    Thanks for moving up, guys. Now if someone drops, I'll be able to save you without having to move.

Edit: Also, is there a reason why the archer's attack on Otinan was 1d20+9? I didn't see any combat advantage or anything like that, and there should have instead been a -2 penalty to attack (in addition to the damage), shouldn't it?

The Archer moved at least 4 squares, which triggered one of it's abilities that gives it +2 to ranged attacks. I don't see anything that would give me a penalty, though. Otinan is out in the open sitting on the back of the horse, so he doesn't have any cover or concealment, and the archer moved so that Faergus wasn't in the way, so he's not firing through that square.

He is "Divine Sanction'd" by Faergus, but that just does damage, no penalty to attack like the Fighter's Combat Challenge does. Let me know what else is out there that might give him a penalty to attack, and I can adjust it.

Edit: Also, the concealment modifier is actually for melee/ranged attacks against him, so it's a bonus, not a penalty. Realized that wasn't exactly clear on the stat block, so just clarifying here.

Illianthar on
    edited April 2011
    Reynolds wrote: »

A lack of magical weapons will hurt the thrown weapon character a lot at early levels. In addition, I recommend picking up one of the expertise feats ASAP.

Litejedi on
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
    edited April 2011
    Litejedi pointed me to the text on Marking, which does impose a -2 penalty to any attacks that don't include the person that marked. So the archer against Otinan should be at +7 instead of +9 (since he still gets +2 from moving). That still hits, but any future attacks will have the appropriate modifiers.

Thanks Litejedi!

Illianthar on
    edited April 2011

A lack of magical weapons will hurt the thrown weapon character a lot at early levels. In addition, I recommend picking up one of the expertise feats ASAP.

I don't see any feats like that in the PHB.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
    edited April 2011
    Weapon Expertise is in the PHB2. No pre-requisites, and gives you +1 to hit with a weapon group (Heavy Thrown for you).

Also, don't forget your Prime Shot bonus. Try and manuever so that you're the closest person to your target, to get that +1.

None of that matters, obviously, if your rolls come out low. That's just the unfortunate part of a random number-based system. But keep with it, and try and invest in magical weapons (or hopefully find some) as early as possible, since those have the +1 to hit, and return automatically.

Illianthar on
    edited April 2011

I don't see any feats like that in the PHB.

The Weapon Expertise Feats are in the Player's Handbook 2. Weapon Expertise (Axe) provides a +1 feat bonus to attack rolls with any weapon power you use with an axe. The bonus increases to +2 at 15th level and +3 at 25th level.

I plan on getting Heavy Blade Expertise (for my longsword) as well. Weapon Expertise is handy to have.

P.S. Oops... Illianthar and I posted at the same time. What he said...

3seed on
    edited April 2011
    Ah, I see. I just have the one book. And I did have Prime Shot both times so far.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
    edited April 2011
    There are two different types of expertise feats:
    1) Those generic feats which provide a +1 bonus to hit, scaling to +2 at 15 and +3 at 25.
    2) Named feats, such as bow expertise, axe expertise and staff expertise, which provide a +1 bonus to hit, scaling to +2 at 11 and +3 at 21, while also providing an additional benefit such as +1/2/3 damage while charging or reach.

Unfortunately, if you're planning on doing a thrown-weapon ranger, the "better" named feats don't generally work for weapons that act like implements, or for weapons which are both melee and thrown. This is because the named feats, other than staff expertise and ki focus expertise, only provide the bonus to hit when attacking in melee. You'll have to do weapon expertise or versatile expertise if you want to be able to get a +1 to hit from range.

Litejedi on
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
    edited April 2011
    Ah, I see. I just have the one book. And I did have Prime Shot both times so far.

My understanding is that Wizards of the Coast still makes their offline Character Builder available even though it doesn't get updated anymore. Given that all the new stuff is Essentials material which we're not using in this campaign, it should be enough. You may have to purchase one month's subscription to access though. Try it out and see if it works for you.

I believe you can download it here.

3seed on
    edited April 2011

My understanding is that Wizards of the Coast still makes their offline Character Builder available even though it doesn't get updated anymore. Given that all the new stuff is Essentials material which we're not using in this campaign, it should be enough. You may have to purchase one month's subscription to access though. Try it out and see if it works for you.

You're using that one strength-based at will from the cavalier. :P

Litejedi on
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
    edited April 2011
    Post is up.

Valesti and Alfonse would recognize the now uncloaked leader as one of the two men that walked out of the briefing in Verbobonc that morning.

Illianthar on
    edited April 2011

What? Seriously? Damn... I was wondering why its effect was so nice.

Illianthar, I'll go ahead and switch it out for a different non-essentials At-Will. (I don't think it'll be problem since Faergus whiffed and didn't derive any benefit from it.)

Can you tell this is my first time playing a Paladin?

3seed on
    edited April 2011
    Also, a quick note: the Archer at is no longer subject to Faergus's Divine Sanction. That expired at the end of his last turn.

3seed on
    edited April 2011

What? Seriously? Damn... I was wondering why its effect was so nice.

Illianthar, I'll go ahead and switch it out for a different non-essentials At-Will. (I don't think it'll be problem since Faergus whiffed and didn't derive any benefit from it.)

Can you tell this is my first time playing a Paladin?

Get Ardent Strike, it's bomb.

Litejedi on
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
    edited April 2011
    Also, a quick note: the Archer at is no longer subject to Faergus's Divine Sanction. That expired at the end of his last turn.

Yeah, looks like it expired for both of them, since it was from Valorous Smite, and you've had another turn. I'll update the map on my end, and then the next update will have the right identifiers.

Illianthar on
    edited April 2011

Yeah, looks like it expired for both of them, since it was from Valorous Smite, and you've had another turn. I'll update the map on my end, and then the next update will have the right identifiers.

The sanction expired on one, but Faergus did divine challenge, which is indefinite if Faergus continues to "engage" the target.

Also, I am dumb and forgot the proficiency bonus to attack in the first two rounds, which means I would have hit with the inspiring refrain for a whopping 13 damage. I sent you a PM about this, sorry Illianthar!

Litejedi on
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
    edited April 2011

The sanction expired on one, but Faergus did divine challenge, which is indefinite if Faergus continues to "engage" the target.

Also, I am dumb and forgot the proficiency bonus to attack in the first two rounds, which means I would have hit with the inspiring refrain for a whopping 13 damage. I sent you a PM about this, sorry Illianthar!

Cool, I'll keep the mark on the one adjacent to him.

Also, the leader's hp have been updated to 14/55 (now 7/55 after Quinn's turn), so he's on the ropes. After this encounter, I'm going to rule that adjustments can only be made if the next round hasn't started. Once the new round starts, then we'll write everything into stone. This mostly affects me, since I'm still getting the ropes around managing all the data I have to keep track of in this format, but just wanted to put it out there so everyone was on the same page.

Illianthar on
    edited April 2011
    Just an FYI on the subject of lethal vs. non-lethal damage which Litejedi brought up a round or two ago (noting that Quinn would not do "lethal damage" versus any humanoid)

When any of you reduce a creature to 0hp, you can choose to just knock it unconscious instead of killing it. There's no concept of subdual or non-lethal damage, per se, just that when you finally drop something, you can not kill it.

So, in this context, if you wanted to beat the leader senseless and then interrogate him, then whoever does the last bit of damage to him would just need to note that they wanted him unconscious, and not dead. Otherwise, he dies at 0hp.

The verbatim rule from the PHB:
    When you reduce a creature to 0 hit points or fewer, you can choose to knock it unconscious rather than kill it. Until it regains hit points, the creature is unconscious but not dying. Any healing makes the creature conscious.

If the creature doesn't receive any healing, it is restored to 1 hit point and becomes conscious after a short rest.

Illianthar on
    edited April 2011
    If you wouldn't mind me asking, what are the alignments of the archers, ruffians, and leader? I'm trying to choose a target.

Bp1580 on
    edited April 2011
    Bp1580 wrote: »
    If you wouldn't mind me asking, what are the alignments of the archers, ruffians, and leader? I'm trying to choose a target.

Well, you haven't really stopped to ask them anything about their moral stance on the important things...However, you did overhear the apparent leader of the group give praise to Iuz the Old, whom you would know from your passive religion skill is a Chaotic Evil diety. No Good or Lawful Good character would follow him, and you wouldn't suspect Unaligned folks would either, since he consorts w/ Demons and such. :)

Illianthar on
    edited April 2011
    Two things you should know BP1580:

1) Quinn and his horse are both creatures adjacent to the leader, because the leader takes up all squares from D10, D11, E10 and E11 (essentially he and his mount take up all of those squares). Consequently, you attacked your ally and his horse with the secondary effect of acid arrow. The secondary effect will do 10 damage (it's already rolled), and cause ongoing 5 acid damage if it hits. So at some point you should resolve this with some attacks, which I'm sure Quinn will appreciate.

2) Technically speaking, according to the RAW, you have to ask permission to attack an ally, or subject an enemy with an effect that can attack an ally. Most DMs handwave this because it makes more interesting RP and combat, and I certainly don't mind either way, but thought you should know.

Litejedi on
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
    edited April 2011
    Two things you should know BP1580:

1) Quinn and his horse are both creatures adjacent to the leader, because the leader takes up all squares from D10, D11, E10 and E11 (essentially he and his mount take up all of those squares). Consequently, you attacked your ally and his horse with the secondary effect of acid arrow. The secondary effect will do 10 damage (it's already rolled), and cause ongoing 5 acid damage if it hits. So at some point you should resolve this with some attacks, which I'm sure Quinn will appreciate.

2) Technically speaking, according to the RAW, you have to ask permission to attack an ally, or subject an enemy with an effect that can attack an ally. Most DMs handwave this because it makes more interesting RP and combat, and I certainly don't mind either way, but thought you should know.

Third thing you should know. The leader is dead, as of Alfonse's attack before you (giving him +4 THP, hooray for him!). Alfonse also didn't mention if he wanted to knock the guy unconscious or not, so I'm going to assume he just wants him dead. If you don't want him dead, Alfonse, just let me know.

So...might be best to focus your attack in a different direction :)

Friendly Fire is on for this campaign, so no permission needed to blow up your "friends"

Illianthar on
    edited April 2011
    ...Dear lord! What have I done???

I'll edit that post ASAP. No idea how I missed all of that!

Bp1580 on
    edited April 2011
    Archers are wigging out. 3seed, you have an OA if you want to take it. If you want to take it, just roll up a Melee Basic Attack and link it here (with damage if you hit), and I'll work it in.

Just waiting to see the effects of Bp's edits, before finalizing the next actions.

Illianthar on
    edited April 2011
    When I checked the IC thread last, Al's post didn't say that. He just missed and walked on. I'm guessing he came back and decided to spend the action point.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
    edited April 2011
    Posted the gameplay stuff. Just working on the RP now. Feel free to post, Illianthar!

Bp1580 on
    edited April 2011
    When I checked the IC thread last, Al's post didn't say that. He just missed and walked on. I'm guessing he came back and decided to spend the action point.

Yeah, he edited and decided to take the action point and attack again.

Illianthar on
    edited April 2011
    Post is up.

The Ruffians are not going to fight, they're going to try and run away (One through the grass, the other by shoving his now completely fearless leader off the horse and using it to escape). So if noone is planning on trying to kill anyone else, we can move out of initiative order and back into non-encounter RolePlay mode, and you can proceed to do whatever it is that you would like.

Illianthar on