As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Great Foodening - PAX Food Destinations 2011

ElmoFuntzElmoFuntz Portland, ORRegistered User regular
edited July 2011 in PAX Archive
This was such a great thread last year that I wanted to resurrect a new version of it for those of us looking for great options of places to eat. I have taken most of the original posts and consolidated them into a new version for 2011. I have tried to make it a bit easier to locate places by including the address and website (where available). If a place has multiple locations I have listed the closest one to PAX. A huge thanks to MrDoctorProfessor for starting this list last year which I took many listings from and all of last years posters.

I have not and will not include large chain places like Subway, McDonald's, etc as those are boring and you can find them anywhere. I am going for places (fairly) unique to the Seattle area.

A notice to all out of towners going in large groups. Most places will charge an automatic gratuity of around 18% for groups 6 or more even if your service is subpar.

Disclaimer: I have not gone to 99% of these places they are all from users posts. If you feel a price level or description is wrong please let me know and I will adjust it.

As people post places in the thread I will update the spreadsheet listing on Google docs with those that make sense and have enough details. PLEASE include what you think the pricing is like in the $-$$$ format if you suggest a listing. If you don't give me details chances are I will say oh sounds cool but not list it because I don't know enough about it. Please at least give the pricing and type of food. If you can include the address, website, and distance that is even more helpful.

This list is getting big and I started including hours open and special notes so I have decided it is easier to just maintain 1 copy on Google docs than it is to update the Google docs copy then paste here like i was doing. This also makes the list look cleaner and it is much easier for people to sort however they want. So please check this link for the listing which will continue to be updated.

Thanks for all the great suggestions and PM's keep them coming!

I have updated the spreadsheet with entries that I could find details on and that made sense to add as of 7/29/11. I did not add some suggestions that while looked very good were more than a few miles away as the goal is to be within walking or quick public transport distance.

I have added a link on the spreadsheet labeled "GMap" (Column heading "Show Me!") this is for those of us looking at the map on a mobile device that want to be able to get a map to the location from your current location (I was originally going to do it from the convention center but thought this was a better solution). Clicking this link will open up Google maps with a pin of the address and let you get directions. Oh ignore the yellow highlights (or don't) those are places I hope to visit is all...

Listing

Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!
vn6ID15.png

ElmoFuntz on

• MelesMelesMelesMeles Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    +1 on Pike Street Fish Fry. They're fantastical.

MelesMeles on
  • hml151hml151 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    My favorite is Dragonfish (722 Pine Street) and if you do the happy hour times (3pm-6pm and 9pm-1am) it is really cheap and delicious! I also love Pho and Pike Place Pub and Brewery which are on your list.
    http://www.dragonfishcafe.com/sea/happy.html

hml151 on
    Max sig size: 500x80px OR 4 lines of text
    School Girl Goodness...Watch for us at future PAX Prime events. If want some of my geek chic collection, click on the etsy link.

http://s774.photobucket.com/user/SchoolGirlGoodness/library/
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VeronatheMad

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • arwen_doll16_LOTRarwen_doll16_LOTR Commander Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Blue C Sushi (1510 7th Ave) Only .1 miles from the convention center (takes about 3 minutes to walk there).

Sushi place with a little conveyor belt that goes around the restaurant. Plates are color coded and each color is a different price. You pick what you want off the little belt and they charge for each color of plate you have. There is also a main menu if you want more than just sushi. Can be as cheap or as expensive as you like!!

Website Here: http://www.bluecsushi.com/

arwen_doll16_LOTR on
    I should go.
    534159_4247466298641_1660805487_n.jpg
  • CommanderTonyCommanderTony Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Pyramid's Seattle Alehouse

A bit far away from the convention center, located right near Safeco Field and a block away from Qwest Field. One of my more favorite food destinations in Seattle.

CommanderTony on
    3-Day pass (X) | Travel plans (X) | Hotel room (X) | Enough money...god damnit!
  • SwordMageSwordMage Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If you're a coffee fan, Victrola absolutely kicks ass. They're just past the Homewood if you're walking from the Convention Center, and are quite reasonably priced for a good cup of coffee.

SwordMage on
    SwordMage, aka Willa
    ---
    twitter: SwordMage86
    XBL: SwordMagelet
  • janesongjanesong Registered User new member
    edited April 2011
    Honeyhole was amazing last year. I am craving it now.

janesong on
  • AnorornAnororn Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The Pacific Place mall has a few restaurants, including another Pike Place Chowder, Johnny Rocket's (40's style burger joint, $$), and several others I tend not to notice (I'm there for chowder, dammit). About 0.2mi from the convention center at 600 Pine St., prices variable but tend to be $-$$, list of restaurants here.

The Westlake Center food court is more of the traditional mall food court, but it has some interesting options, like Indian, Thai, Mediterranean, etc. About 0.3mi from the convention center at 400 Pine St, prices variable but tend to be $ (it's a mall food court), list of food sources here.

Anororn on
  • FanaticalistFanaticalist Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Anororn wrote: »
    The Westlake Center food court is more of the traditional mall food court, but it has some interesting options, like Indian, Thai, Mediterranean, etc. About 0.3mi from the convention center at 400 Pine St, prices variable but tend to be $ (it's a mall food court), list of food sources here.

I have found Cajun & Grill at the food court there to be surprisingly edible.

It makes me sad to see so many people line up at Subway when there are many excellent eateries within shooting distance of the Convention Center. I try to eat fairly cheap myself and I found MOD Pizza last year:

http://www.modpizza.com/

It's not super-great pizza, but it's quite tasty. You get a nicely filling personal pizza for a reasonable price with what you like on it and at fast speed. A great option for PAX and its like 2-3 blocks away.

Fanaticalist on
    edited April 2011
    Benihana Seattle
    At the heart of the Benihana experience is the teppanyaki table, around which guests gather and enjoy a meal expertly prepared and cooked to perfection on a steel grill, right before their eyes — by a chef who is as much entertainer as culinary master.

The meal begins with a delicate Japanese onion soup, followed by a salad with ginger dressing. The chef will prepare your chicken, beef or seafood, along with vegetables, hibachi-style on the sizzling grill surface. Be sure to enjoy the show, because Benihana chefs literally play with your food as they cook it.

Absolutely delicious and only a good 4 to 5 blocks from the convention center.

CommanderTony on
  • ClixClix This guy I know Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I love just walking accross the street to Gameworks. The food is pretty good and they have lots of beer (granted Taphouse has more). Last year I threw a few back there before returning to the show. Drunk driving with the Need For Speed Hot Pursuit demo... classic.

Clix on
  • MarySueMarySue Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Bruno's Mexican-Italian Restaurant and Pizzeria. It's fairly decent food, not the best, but the price is good and it's a block from the Benaroya.

I have to admit I have a soft spot for them because I'm of Mexican-Italian descent and my grandmother's maiden name is Bruno.

MarySue on
    Portland, Oregon, and sloe gin fizz. If that ain't love, then tell me what is.
    +++BRONYS BEFORE BROS!+++
  • _Cowsvils__Cowsvils_ Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    @OP perhaps list the different restaurants with headings according to what type of food they offer? Might make it a hair easier to read.

_Cowsvils_ on
  • ElmoFuntzElmoFuntz Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I am doing this all out of an Excel spreadsheet to make it easier to add/sort new entries. Sadly this limits my ability to add extra lines of details. I have been pondering how to possibly add hours/special notes like cash only, etc. I am open to ideas. I guess I could toss the ability to sort entries but I had originally wanted to be able to share the sheet but I notice there is no way to link files unless I can find a place to host it.

ElmoFuntz on
    vn6ID15.png

• MeanderBotMeanderBot Registered User new member
    edited April 2011
    There is a nice little diner/bar on the NE corner of 2nd Ave & Pike St. called Turf Restaurant & Lounge. The place is a little shady, but of the four times I went there last year, I got nothing except good service and food (though I'd probably be more hesitant to go in alone at night). They have the typical diner food (cheeseburgers, chicken tenders, eggs & such for breakfast) along with some asian dishes (which I can't remember because I pretty much just stuck with cheeseburgers, but some yelp reviewers list chicken teriyaki, lumpia and pork spring rolls). It's only about 5-6 blocks away from the convention center, too.

Yelp

MeanderBot on
  • oxfroggyoxfroggy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The Crumpet Shop on first near Pike Place Market is very good. The crumpets (They're kind of like english muffins with toppings) are fresh and delicious and they have savory and sweet toppings. They also have tea on drip and if you keep your cup you can go back for refills. They also have a large selection of loose leaf teas. It's inexpensive as well. Can't beat 'em for breakfast.
    Damn, I want a crumpet now.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-crumpet-shop-seattle

oxfroggy on
    edited April 2011
    MeanderBot wrote: »
    There is a nice little diner/bar on the NE corner of 2nd Ave & Pike St. called Turf Restaurant & Lounge. The place is a little shady, but of the four times I went there last year, I got nothing except good service and food (though I'd probably be more hesitant to go in alone at night). They have the typical diner food (cheeseburgers, chicken tenders, eggs & such for breakfast) along with some asian dishes (which I can't remember because I pretty much just stuck with cheeseburgers, but some yelp reviewers list chicken teriyaki, lumpia and pork spring rolls). It's only about 5-6 blocks away from the convention center, too.

Yelp

Wow the reviews for this place kinda scare me.. not sure I really want to recommend it.

ElmoFuntz on
    vn6ID15.png

edited April 2011
    I never really had a problem, but whatever. It's not like it's a den of thieves or something. Just a few scruffy looking folk.

MeanderBot on
  • jacalatajacalata Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    You could put the spreadsheet up in Google Docs, no?

jacalata on

Check out my PAX schedule assistant for Windows Phone - http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/pax-digital-assistant/6e56d005-983a-e011-854c-00237de2db9e. Feel free to send me feedback or requests at any time!
  • ptriz21_teamkillptriz21_teamkill Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    There is an Irish pub across from parking garage/Macy's. I don't remember the name. Last year, they gave happy hour prices for PAX attendees all day. Good food and drink.

ptriz21_teamkill on
    3DS: 3325-2059-2105
    edited April 2011
    Document linked. See the top posting.

ElmoFuntz on
    vn6ID15.png

• jmckeldenjmckelden Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    +1 to Piroshky Piroshky! Sooooo amazing! You seriously can't go wrong - and you don't even have to sit to eat it. Walk down to Pike, grab a Piroshky, then walk back while eating - time saved!

jmckelden on
    edited April 2011
    jmckelden wrote: »
    +1 to Piroshky Piroshky! Sooooo amazing! You seriously can't go wrong - and you don't even have to sit to eat it. Walk down to Pike, grab a Piroshky, then walk back while eating - time saved!

What sort of food do they serve?

CommanderTony on
    edited April 2011
    They sell Piroshky's of all flavors and kinds (it's a Russian pastry filled with any assortment of things). They really do look amazing. Sadly I missed them last year but will not this year.

ElmoFuntz on
    vn6ID15.png

edited April 2011
    ElmoFuntz wrote: »
    They sell Piroshky's of all flavors and kinds (it's a Russian pastry filled with any assortment of things). They really do look amazing. Sadly I missed them last year but will not this year.

I've never had Russian cuisine, sounds damn good though. Is it close to the convention center?

CommanderTony on
    edited April 2011
    Down in Pike place. Yes close.

ElmoFuntz on
    vn6ID15.png

• LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Yelp

Um... Yeah... The Turf is notoriously the biggest heroin-scoring spot downtown. It's generallly patronized by dopefiends and pimps. I'm sure the food won't kill you, but stepping on a needle in the bathroom probably will. Seriously - I don't think this is an appropriate recommendation for out of towners.

LexiconGrrl on
    Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
    edited April 2011
    On a cheerier note...

For a nice, New York style old-school martini and steak bar, you can't beat Von's Roast House on 7th & Pine. We live in Seattle, and that's where we go at PAX. Very laid back atmosphere, spectacular happy hour, excellent prime rib, reasonable prices (Not McDonald's prices, but better than Ruth's) and martinis in their sidewalk cafe section. If you like mmmmmmMEAT, this is the foshizzle!

For a decent meal for the more budget-consicous, there's a mission style burrito window called La Vaca on the corner of 1st & Pike, at the Pike Place Market. This was one of the first burrito places in town: before the taco trucks, before the taquerias, before the Taco Del Mars. It's not Southern California, but the burritos are big, cheap and tasty.

LexiconGrrl on
  • ptriz21_teamkillptriz21_teamkill Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    My group always gets Taco Del Mar for breakfast in the convention center. Not many people eat tacos for breakfast so it makes for a short line. And obviously its close.

ptriz21_teamkill on
    3DS: 3325-2059-2105
    edited April 2011

Yelp

Um... Yeah... The Turf is notoriously the biggest heroin-scoring spot downtown. It's generallly patronized by dopefiends and pimps. I'm sure the food won't kill you, but stepping on a needle in the bathroom probably will. Seriously - I don't think this is an appropriate recommendation for out of towners.

Yikes, I was not aware of that. Recommendation withdrawn.

MeanderBot on
    edited April 2011
    On a cheerier note...

For a nice, New York style old-school martini and steak bar, you can't beat Von's Roast House on 7th & Pine. We live in Seattle, and that's where we go at PAX. Very laid back atmosphere, spectacular happy hour, excellent prime rib, reasonable prices (Not McDonald's prices, but better than Ruth's) and martinis in their sidewalk cafe section. If you like mmmmmmMEAT, this is the foshizzle!

For a decent meal for the more budget-consicous, there's a mission style burrito window called La Vaca on the corner of 1st & Pike, at the Pike Place Market. This was one of the first burrito places in town: before the taco trucks, before the taquerias, before the Taco Del Mars. It's not Southern California, but the burritos are big, cheap and tasty.

What is the budget like on these two? I am guessing $$$ for the first and $ for the 2nd?

ElmoFuntz on
    vn6ID15.png

• parasyteparasyte Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    A notice to all out of towners going in large groups. Most places will charge an automatic gratuity of around 18% for groups 6 or more even if your service is subpar.

I wanted to also mention, if you are going to a seated dining restaurant in a large group (8+) please please call ahead, it's only polite. Ran into a large group of MMT PAXgoers at The Pink Door last year and it struck me as somewhat rude (though you all were very nice and awesome besides that!).

And I'd absolutely recommend The Pink Door as the food was great, particularly the fantastic tomato soup. Best I've ever had.

parasyte on
  • hml151hml151 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    ElmoFuntz I posted the menu site for Vons (http://www.vonsroasthouse.com/menu.html). There was no website for La Vaca but Yelp said $ (http://www.yelp.com/biz/la-vaca-mexican-restaurant-seattle).

hml151 on
    Max sig size: 500x80px OR 4 lines of text
    School Girl Goodness...Watch for us at future PAX Prime events. If want some of my geek chic collection, click on the etsy link.

http://s774.photobucket.com/user/SchoolGirlGoodness/library/
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VeronatheMad

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    hml151 wrote: »
    ElmoFuntz I posted the menu site for Vons (http://www.vonsroasthouse.com/menu.html).

Well, I know where I'm stopping at least one night. Their martini/cocktail list is awesome.

An authentic Aviation and Lucid Absinthe available. I'm there.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    edited April 2011
    On a cheerier note...

What is the budget like on these two? I am guessing $$$ for the first and $ for the 2nd?

If you go during happy hour, I'd say $ for both. But yeah, Von's is more like $$ normally. Still, for a downtown steaky kinda place, it's a pretty good deal. It caters more to locals than tourists.

One more recommendation - esp. for folks who aren't from heavily asian-influenced areas. There's a tiny little hole-in-the-wall Ramen shop down in the International District (Seattle's obsessively PC name for Chinatown) called Samurai Noodle. If you've never had fresh ramen, with slow-cooked homemade stock and all the trimmings, this is a must-do. It's about a 10-15 minute FREE ride in the bus tunnel from the convention center. Warning: it's popular at lunch and only seats about a dozen people so go with a group of 4 or less and be prepared to order takeout and eat in the Uwajimaya food court around the corner. A mammoth bowl of noodles and a beer will set you back about $14.

http://www.samurainoodle.com/

LexiconGrrl on
    edited April 2011
    Great list updated. 2 more places I am going to need to find time to visit :)

ElmoFuntz on
    vn6ID15.png

• theansanametheansaname Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    This list does not contain the epic

CRAB POT!

1301 Alaskan Way
    Pier 57
    (at University St)
    Seattle, WA 98101
    Neighborhood: Downtown

(206) 624-1890
    www.thecrabpotseattle.com

As seen on ManVsFood
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5IezsYmagk

theansaname on
  • JHawkJHawk Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Can't believe no one has mentioned Ivar's yet, its often a favorite here. Several locations too.

Edit: And yeah in response to theansaname, Crab Pot is really great =D

JHawk on
    edited April 2011
    Details on ivars?

ElmoFuntz on
    vn6ID15.png

• AnorornAnororn Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Agh, I completely spaced on Ivar's. Let's see...

Ivar's Fish Bar (note: not actually a bar) is on the Seattle waterfront, Pier 54, about 0.8mi away. I'm going to say it's $, but others might disagree. They serve primarily fried seafood and chowder, so fish and chips and the like. At the same place is the Ivar's Acres of Clams restaurant, which is a traditional sit-down seafood restaurant with a wider array of choices. It's been a while since I was there, but I think most things are around $$. The Ivar's website is http://www.ivars.com/

A note about ordering at the seafood bar. The ordering style is fried foods first, and then everything else. When they're busy, they'll collect a bunch of fried food orders all at the same time, then call out when an order is ready. When the customer gets there, they order all of the other stuff and pay then. If more than one person has the same order (fish and chips is not uncommon), it's whoever gets there first who gets the order, and everyone else has to wait until the next instance of that order is finished. If you're in a group, order as a group to reduce the number of competing orders and speed things up.

Anororn on
  • DrakmathusDrakmathus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Vegetarian/Vegan place...

Kind of far away, but Sunday brunch was really nice.

1.9miles | $$ | Cafe Flora | Vegetarian / Vegan| 2901 East Madison Street, Seattle, WA 98112 (Cafe Flora)| http://www.cafeflora.com/

Drakmathus on