As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Sonic the Hedgehog] New Sonic All-Stars Racing trailer... with Afterburner stage!

• Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I just ordered Colours off Amazon, due totally to this thread. Congrats. :3

You should have done it regardless of this thread. It really is the most worth-while Sonic game in the last decade or so excluding the Rush and Advanced series.

Waka Laka on
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I loved the 360 daytime Unleashed levels. If it's even close to that, I will be a very happy panda.

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    95% of the levels in colours are excellent. Just a warning though, there are 2 or 3 levels that use a shitty hovering yellow spring that moves slowly which you have to keep landing on while avoiding obstacles. These levels are fucking terrible, but mercifully short.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011
    I got to try Colors the other day. I was excited to really try to get into Sonic again.

Unfortunately all my conclusions from the early days were reinforced. I think I've tainted these threads with my Sonic contempt in the past, but I have a genuine inquiry: can anyone point me towards a YouTube of a decent, average, play session of a Sonic game considered good? I'm working a bit of written work related to it and would like to try a deconstruction of a play session from an average gamer.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
    edited April 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_e1O8lkFOnY

I maintain my position that Sonic Unleashed's Daytime levels were off the hook. In fact, they weren't even in the same room as the hook.

It was the one and the only time that quick time events have felt right to me.

It's why I'm getting Colours; everything I've read suggest it's just a whole game of that kind of gameplay, taken one step further. :D

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So what does all of this mean for Sonic 4? After everyone (myself included) shit on the new physics engine they've been pretty tight lipped about Episode 2.

SmokeStacks on
    edited April 2011
    There was a fairly recent interview with the head guy re: episode 2. They've JUST started development, so it's not gonna be a 20th Anniversary release.

IIRC, they talked about hearing the fan complaints. But also commented that Epi2 will lock on - which IMO destroys any chance of a new engine - if they're gonna bolt together ala Sonic 3+K, then they must essentially be the same game underneath, right? :/

Only other thing I remember - he said there would be less recycling of old levels.

I'll try and find it for ya. :3

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    apotheos wrote: »
    I got to try Colors the other day. I was excited to really try to get into Sonic again.

Unfortunately all my conclusions from the early days were reinforced. I think I've tainted these threads with my Sonic contempt in the past, but I have a genuine inquiry: can anyone point me towards a YouTube of a decent, average, play session of a Sonic game considered good? I'm working a bit of written work related to it and would like to try a deconstruction of a play session from an average gamer.

Bam

Waka Laka on
  • VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    oh fuck

OH FUCK

EVERYTHING I'VE EVER WANTED

YES YES OH GOD YES

VALVEjunkie on
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I really, really wish I could play Colors on the 360.

I can't really think of a good reason why it isn't available for it.

Salvation122 on
    edited April 2011
    I really, really wish I could play Colors on the 360.

I can't really think of a good reason why it isn't available for it.

And I'd like Bayonetta on the Wii.

plufim on
    steam_sig.png
  • DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Lotta love for Sonic Colours on the Wii.

How was it on the DS? I got a copy for Christmas and never got round to starting it.

Dunxco on
    edited April 2011
    Dunxco wrote: »

How was it on the DS? I got a copy for Christmas and never got round to starting it.

Not as great as the Wii version, but not bad. Think Sonic Rush 3 with powers and you'll be half way there. A few of the powers have changed also and the soundtrack is not as good.

Waka Laka on
  • IgortIgort Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    plufim wrote: »
    95% of the levels in colours are excellent. Just a warning though, there are 2 or 3 levels that use a shitty hovering yellow spring that moves slowly which you have to keep landing on while avoiding obstacles. These levels are fucking terrible, but mercifully short.

Oh geez, thanks for reminding me. Nearly broke my Wiimote in frustration.

Igort on
  • DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Waka Laka wrote: »

Not as great as the Wii version, but not bad. Think Sonic Rush 3 with powers and you'll be half way there. A few of the powers have changed also and the soundtrack is not as good.

Huh. Well I did enjoy Sonic Rush so I'll give it the old college try during the week.

Dunxco on
  • Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

I loved it. It's definitely the best of the DS Sonic games.

Rex Dart on
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If there is ONE problem I've had with Sonic Colors so far, it's that in some portions, you need to use what's basically a "land" button. That is, pressing it makes Sonic stop forward movement and just shoot down to the ground, often using a kick which can break through some stuff.

There are some platforming bits where that seems to either be necessary to not overshoot the platforms, or that you simply require a significant amount of skill for an otherwise simple task.

It's not a dealbreaker or anything, but it does kind of take some adjustment for one used to simply jumping and landing.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    edited April 2011
    I just got Colours.

Oh my God. You guys.

You guys. Oh. My. God.

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
    edited April 2011
    Some of us have been saying that for 6 months now :P

Just wait until you get to planet wisp.

plufim on
    steam_sig.png
  • VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    in celebration of the new game I have dug out my old copy of 2Battle and have been playing through it

fuck this has not aged well

at least the chao garden is still fun :3

VALVEjunkie on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything but I gotta say I wasn't blown away by Colors. Probably because I'd seen enough media to expect it to be really good, and then it wasn't as good as I imagined. Particularly the physics and jumping are kinda annoying, it always feels like you can't jump high enough or far enough or with enough precision. It just doesn't feel like it should, in my opinion.

Now, the graphics and music are awesome and I love the direction they went with the game and all. Some of the level design is meh, especially that spring thing.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, I thought Colors was pretty lame personally

I think that just solidifies the fact that Sonic isn't for me, but at least now I feel like I've given it enough chances in both the 2D and 3D realms

I'm glad they're going in a direction with this new game that people like, though, as Colors was pretty well-received

UnbreakableVow on
    edited April 2011
    I like Colors, but it's definitely a different feel from 2D Sonic, old or new. In fact, it reminds me a lot of Super Mario Galaxy/2 in that regard: even when playing in 2D, it's a completely different feel from the actual 2D games.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything but I gotta say I wasn't blown away by Colors. Probably because I'd seen enough media to expect it to be really good, and then it wasn't as good as I imagined. Particularly the physics and jumping are kinda annoying, it always feels like you can't jump high enough or far enough or with enough precision. It just doesn't feel like it should, in my opinion.

Now, the graphics and music are awesome and I love the direction they went with the game and all. Some of the level design is meh, especially that spring thing.

I wasn't blown away either, mostly for the same reasons you listed, but I do like it quite a bit. If they continue in this direction (hopefully with less focus on stupid powers and fiddly platforming) and continue to improve, I will buy every new Sonic game that comes out.

mntorankusu on
    edited April 2011
    So, there are currently "leaked" images of the covers for this game and the sonic and mario game going around. Hopefully they turn out to be fake, because the M&S cover is for another goddam olympics game.
    uGBzl.jpgIkmPO.jpg
    Spoilered for huge.

plufim on
    steam_sig.png
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Oh, there will definitely be another Olympic game.

Those covers aren't real though.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hopefully it has London and Barcelona

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
    edited April 2011

There was a lot of talk that the next crossover wouldn't be an olympics game. Glad the covers aren't real though. How were they proven fake?

plufim on
    steam_sig.png
  • Spanish InquisitionSpanish Inquisition Suprise Posting SpainRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So the Olympic symbol for the London games is still lewd? Going to be funny if those Olympic video games show it so prominently.

Spanish Inquisition on
    AKA: gottabegaming, gotta, gottabeajerk, and Mr. Wave's Point/Click Adventure.

NO ONE EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION! Oh bugger.
    edited April 2011

Apparently, the translation from Portuguese is "Cover Not Final."

And I hope that the Mario & Sonic game is as much fun as the DS Winter Olympic Games was. Adventure Mode, please!

In other news, Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing is now on Xbox Games on Demand. $29.99.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • SeolSeol Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    plufim wrote: »
    There was a lot of talk that the next crossover wouldn't be an olympics game.
    If that's true, that just means there'll be another crossover between now and the next Olympics game.

Seol on
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So with the Sonic Generations coming out, I've been really wanting to get myself back into the major Sonic games. So I've been playing Sonic 1-3, Sonic CD, and Sonic 4.

I'm going to Best Buy today and will be tempted to buy Sonic Rush, which I've never played.

Also I need to get Sonic Colors and I'm even tempted to find a cheap copy of Sonic Unleashed as I'm not sure I gave it a fair shake the first time.

What to do...

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
    edited April 2011
    If you haven't played Sonic Rush Adventure either, that's the one I'd recommend. Rush felt too much like there was a way the developers wanted you to get through the level, and if you even considered straying from their vision, you're dead.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    So with the Sonic Generations coming out, I've been really wanting to get myself back into the major Sonic games. So I've been playing Sonic 1-3, Sonic CD, and Sonic 4.

I'm going to Best Buy today and will be tempted to buy Sonic Rush, which I've never played.

Also I need to get Sonic Colors and I'm even tempted to find a cheap copy of Sonic Unleashed as I'm not sure I gave it a fair shake the first time.

What to do...

For Sonic Unleashed, for the love of god make sure you get the 360/PS3 build.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

What to do...

For Sonic Unleashed, for the love of got make sure you get the Wii build.

Agreed.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    For anyone considering getting Unleashed, it's currently on sale for $10 new on Gamestop: http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-360/games/sonic-unleashed/70833

Get two items or spend $25 (with code VSHIP) to get free shipping.

Everybody needs to play Sonic Rush, even if Adventure is better, just because the first one has the best music.

mntorankusu on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Am I the only one who thought that Colors didn't play as well as the daytime portions of unleashed

something about it felt really off to me

Speed Racer on
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

What to do...

For Sonic Unleashed, for the love of got make sure you get the Wii build.

Agreed.

*massages temples*

That's like recommending someone play

Crazy_Taxi_-_Catch_a_Ride_Coverart.pnger

Instead of playing

796961-crazytaxi_dc_front_large.png

In other words...

whywouldyoudothat_2.jpg

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011
    Sonic is like my nemesis of franchises.

I have no idea how it could generate the enthusiasm inside another living soul to go on to the internet and say nice things.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    apotheos wrote: »
    Sonic is like my nemesis of franchises.

I have no idea how it could generate the enthusiasm inside another living soul to go on to the internet and say nice things.

Like a battered housewife they remember the good ol days and long for things to return to their former glory...

Not like I speak from experience or anything... :(

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!