As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MOTW 4/13/11 - 'Tis a Blood Feud

TexiKenTexiKen Dammit!That fish really got me!Registered User regular
edited April 2011 in Graphic Violence
Ultimate Spider-Man #157, do you know where this is going?

spidermanultimate157a.jpg

spidermanultimate157b.jpg

The same scene happens in the Ultimates book, but Yu draws it more lethal, and Punisher is all "where the hell did he come from?" He was supposed to aim for Cap but Spidey got in the way.

And Norman Osborn killed Otto. Bashed his head in and Spidey confirms he's dead

TexiKen on

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    My MotW was Journey into Mystery. Between it and Fraction's Mighty Thor it looks like we are going to get both halves of Simonson's run. JiM will carry the mythological storytelling aspect, complete with eloquent narration and Thor will have the earth-shattering fights and high concept sci-fi.

Loki is wonderful and the story Gillen is trying to tell seems interesting as hell. Loki wants to be Loki.

Amazing Spider-Man was good old fashioned Kirby F4 fun, the high point being Sue's handling of a particularly rude mime. The Ghost Rider back-up was also fantastic, although Spider-Man's banter was a bit much. It makes me excited for Williams' upcoming GR ongoing.

Iron Man 2.0 was a lot of set-up, but the new War Machine armor is badass as hell.

Gillen's Uncanny X-Men is off to a good start, with a very nice twist at the end. I love his Magneto and hope he remains as one of the primary characters.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Uncanny #535 was a good read, it felt refreshing compared to what I read of Fraction's run. Lovely art, three parts to the issue that go boom boom boom, no more "cute" character ID boxes, and Nemesis really doesn't like nazis:

xmenuncanny535a.jpg

Marvel, please take note: I will buy Gillen's Uncanny X-Men if you would just get rid of Land as the other "artist."

But I think Batman & Robin #22 will win the week, because it's great throughout. Damien is fun, references to the Streets of Gotham issues with Zsasz, White Knight has a pretty nice origin for his actions, and Tomasi uses something from his Outsiders run that I always liked:

Using the cowl ears to shoot at people, it's the best Bat-accessory in years.

batmanandrobin22c.jpg

batmanandrobin22d.jpg

TexiKen on
  • Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    My moment of the week is also from Batman and Robin
    Damianawesome.jpg?t=1302740655

Tairu on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Deadpool #35; Deadpool faces Id the Selfish Moon.
    After destroying Id, a Galactus-level threat, saving two alien civilizations, saving a guy that wanted to kill him, at the expense of his own arms and legs, and uniting two aliens that'd been denying their love for each other, Wade sits in bed, recuperating.

5cj5zl.jpg

dw3rjq.jpg

I thought this was a really good scene, and a really good issue. It showed that Wade, despite all protests to the contrary, is a hero. Hard as he tries, he's still doing the right thing, even when it doesn't benefit him. And he's torn between wanting to be recognized for it, and wanting people to keep thinking he's just a thug mercenary, because he feels he can meet those expectations.

I've long criticized Way's run for the rapid flip-flopping between Wade wanting to be a hero, and wanting to cast off any kind of responsibility and just be an amoral prick, but I'm beginning to think that's just Way's method of providing another layer to Deadpool's quest to be a hero.

Booster Gold #43, Booster meets the Legion of Superheroes, helps out in a fight against Validus, and finds that his "chronal leprosy" actually carries some beneficial side-effects.
    Here, Booster has been captured and detained by the Legion, after discovering he was wearing a Legion flight ring, and one of Brainiac's forece-field belts. I removed the top of the left page, since it didn't really help set the scene.
    vhezjn.jpg

Later, Brainiac cures Booster's chronal leprosy, and informs him that the disease has essentially arrested his aging process, so that he'll remain youthful much longer than the average person. I actually like this development, as it gives Booster an excuse for why he can pop in and out of any period of time, and pretty much look the same.

Plus, the character just works better when he's a flippant young dude, and this gives future writers an excuse to keep him that way.

Secret Warriors #26 was alright, but I'm really going to have to go back and read this entire series, once's it's been completed. All the references to things that have happened both within the series, and in old Nick Fury/SHIELD stuff I never read, has made this thing into a huge continuity gang-bang.

REBELS #27 was also pretty alright. Blackfire shows some heroism in fighting off Starro, Lyrl Dox unleashes Tribulus v. 2.0, and Lobo's fight with Smite is interrupted, after they find themselves in a Psion bar, and decide to stop for a beer. Still, with such a huge cast, and so much going on, there's really no build-up to any of these events, and no time to follow up either, robbing them of the impact they could have had.

And, my shop tried to order Butcher Baker #2, but didn't get it. So, I guess that's another Image book that I'll be trade-waiting.

Munch on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    That booster getting slapped panel made me laugh out loud.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Carnage #4 was actually kind of awesome. I'm surprised that the book's been as good as it has, given how completely ridiculous the end of #3 was. The fight between Spidey, Iron Man, and Carnage was pretty great.

And there was, well, this:
    The EvilCorp that was holding Carnage prisoner used pieces of his symbiote to create armored superheroes. When they're sent after Carnage...

carnage01.jpg
    carnage02.jpg

...evil symbiote-Voltron happens.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    that

that's actually kinda depressing

Antimatter on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Did it just get badass in here?!

No, because you're Carnage and you suck.

Algertman on
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Oh man, I really enjoyed Journey Into Mystery #622. I really didn't like Fraction bringing Loki back - I thought that he got a perfect ending in Gillen's Thor run and then Siege (first make sure that he'll be free and unbound in the afterlife, and then get himself good and killed) - but if it lets Gillen write this kind of comic, then man, I'm all for that. I really hope that he's allowed to write it for as long as he intends to.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Carnage is very 90's

Which means yes he sucks

Solar on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Solar, I keep meaning to ask: where are your avatar and signature from?

Delduwath on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    They are from a promo sheet for a tabletop RPG called Eclipse Phase which is a transhuman sci-fi/horror game. It's one of my favourite games for a variey of reasons, being able to play an Uplifted Zen Octopus Gladiator being only one of them.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    That booster getting slapped panel made me laugh out loud.
    The Giffen/DeMatteis run's been a little more uneven than I'd have liked, but I'm bummed it's drawing to a close.

Actually, with Doom Patrol ending, and Jurgens taking over Booster Gold, I wonder if Giffen has anything else in the pipeline. I'd love to see him and DeMatteis write the JL: Generation Lost team in an ongoing, but I imagine that book will go to Winick, should it happen at all.

Munch on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Solar wrote: »
    They are from a promo sheet for a tabletop RPG called Eclipse Phase which is a transhuman sci-fi/horror game. It's one of my favourite games for a variey of reasons, being able to play an Uplifted Zen Octopus Gladiator being only one of them.

Awesome stuff, which would make a fantastic backsetting for a comic.

My uplifted gorilla was called Henrique. HE DOES NOT LIKE YOUR FACE.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Wow am I seriously the first to Motw this? came in expecting it to be top of the page!

Johnny would be proud
    SueStormvsaMime.jpg

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Fascinating. Thanks! I'm definitely going to look more into it.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Munch did Rani do anything these past few issues of BG? That's one character I hope Jurgens carries over.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Munch did Rani do anything these past few issues of BG? That's one character I hope Jurgens carries over.
    Nah, most of this arc had Booster in various time periods, apart from his supporting cast. I read something on scans_daily saying that DeMatteis had stated he had plans for her, but wasn't sure if editorial would let him and Giffen do it. Apparently they didn't, as this was their final issue.

She did pop up on a, "Have you seen this girl?" poster in the future, which makes me think she'll be returned to her time period, and written out of the series. Or maybe it's just seeding future plot developments.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Delduwath wrote: »

Fascinating. Thanks! I'm definitely going to look more into it.

Just so you know, all Eclipse Phase stuff is creative commons and so you can legally download, share and alter it as long as you don't seek a profit. Posthuman Studios actually distributed the PDF of the rulebook on Bittorrent themselves, and it is very available for anyone to get hold of.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    So I went to the shop today to pick up the two issues of Flash I have missed and saw that Captain America: The Fighting Avenger by Brian Clevenger and Gurihuri came out!

It's a fun double-sized one-shot with clean, expressive art. It's clearly intended for an All-Ages audience, as all of the Nazis in the book are dispatched in a Saturday morning shot-in-the-helmet-'oof' manner. The highlight is seeing Steve Rogers in the brief period after he got the super soldier serum but before he became competent as Captain America. The first time he throws the shield it just clangs to the ground and rolls to a stop. Steve runs away from a hail of gunfire yelling "SHIELD ARE NOT FOR THROWING. SHIELDS ARE NOT FOR THROWING."

It's a fun, light-hearted story and there are much worse ways to spend 4.99

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Just so you know, all Eclipse Phase stuff is creative commons and so you can legally download, share and alter it as long as you don't seek a profit. Posthuman Studios actually distributed the PDF of the rulebook on Bittorrent themselves, and it is very available for anyone to get hold of.

What. Holy shit. I've never heard of a p&p RPG company doing that before. Now this definitely merits investigation. Thanks for letting me know about this!

(Sorry, I'm done being off-topic.)

Delduwath on
  • Options
    JombalayaJombalaya Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    X-Force
    So Fantomex misdirected everybody into thinking he killed Apocalypse? There goes all the cool points I gave him for being the only one to have the balls to pull the trigger.

Jombalaya on
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Wow am I seriously the first to Motw this? came in expecting it to be top of the page!

Johnny would be proud
    SueStormvsaMime.jpg

You are not, somebody posted it earlier as one of their MoTW.

But since they didn't post the actual comic, who cares? That just became my MotW too.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    VermisVermis Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I guess I'm the only one to think it's terrible, then. I don't know what the mime did. Make fun of Ben a bit? Definitely grounds to trap him in an invisible car crusher, terrify him half to death, then stand around and smirk about it.

Our heroes, everyone.

Vermis on
    rulksig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Jombalaya wrote: »
    X-Force
    So Fantomex misdirected everybody into thinking he killed Apocalypse? There goes all the cool points I gave him for being the only one to have the balls to pull the trigger.

That sucks if that's true, because it went against the usual struggle we see.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I was under the impression that
    he had one of his own.

My MOTW is from Uncanny X Force 7, where
    a conflicted Wade manages saves the team because he gets creeped out by an old guy making a pass at him.

WeedLordVegeta on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Wait, they have Crain on Carnage? Hrm.

Carnage and all of the other Post-Venom guys seem lame, but ... Clayton Crain.

desc on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    carnage is awful and you are terrible for debating supporting it

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    TLB you are the worst hypocrite

the worst

ALL CHARACTERS CAN BE GOOD, THEY JUST NEED GOOD WRITERS

Zeb Wells comes in and writes a good Carnage story

FUCK IT, IT'S GOT SHRIEK IN IT

but I know you'll admit it so whatevs

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    As someone who liked Maximum Carnage when I was younger, I'm really liking this current mini. Crain's art really is what makes great in my eyes though.
    The fact that Cletus now has a bionic lower-half is sort of underwhelming. Otherwise I think the story is pretty cool.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Carnage can't be good, blankzilla. TLB is tough but fair.

but

clayton crain

desc on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    TLB you are the worst hypocrite

the worst

ALL CHARACTERS CAN BE GOOD, THEY JUST NEED GOOD WRITERS

Zeb Wells comes in and writes a good Carnage story

FUCK IT, IT'S GOT SHRIEK IN IT

but I know you'll admit it so whatevs

Blank

I have always said all characters are good

Except Shriek

Not a hypocrite at all

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Also Carnage has always been a horror character unfortunately tied up with Spider-Man

A carnage MAX mini would suit him

That or make him a Punisher villain

They are a perfect fit

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Having Carnage as a regular villain could be a great idea if Marvel ever wanted to launch an Eddie Brock/Anti-Venom MAX mini.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Anti-Venom must never be mentioned again

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    GankGank Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Spidey bitched his new FF costume would make him look like AntiVenom. And ended up looking like an insensitive dick in doing so.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    and Anti-Venom is coming up in ASM in...May? June?

and he had a buddy cop mini with Punisher where they killed Mexican drug lords how do you not like Anti-Venom TLB

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    He needs a new name damnit

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    GankGank Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, AntiVenom is in the previews for the Infestation event in ASM. And what kinda name you want TLB Cure? Vaccine? Antivenene? These don't inspire much 90's-styled terror.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Just call him Eddie

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg