As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My computer, she burns

ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
I just bought and installed a new motherboard, video card and RAM and my PC is running extremely hot. The PC shuts down almost immediately after I start playing a game. Speedfan says that Temp 2, Core 0 and Core 1 (whatever those mean, I'm not sure) are running at about 65-68 Celcius while idle and into the mid 80's whenever I'm doing something more intensive than browsing the web.

What can I do to cool down my PC? I have a CPU fan, a case fan and the video card has a fan (it's a nVidia 460). The case cover is off and I'm using a separate fan to try and cool it down but it's not doing much.

JKKaAGp.png
Zombiemambo on

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Might need to reseat your CPU heatsink - is there thermal paste in between the heatsink and CPU?

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Yes, but only what was already on it. I was thinking it was the video card, however, because the CPU hadn't caused problems before.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Does your case have proper air flow & enough fans?

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yes, but only what was already on it. I was thinking it was the video card, however, because the CPU hadn't caused problems before.

You should always clean and re-apply thermal paste when you've removed the heat sink. This is most likely what is causing the problem.

stigweard on
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    stigweard wrote: »

You should always clean and re-apply thermal paste when you've removed the heat sink. This is most likely what is causing the problem.

Second this. It's best to give it a new application so things can re-settle with the new hardware. There's no other reason your CPU should be overheating that badly if it wasn't before.

ArcticLancer on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    stigweard wrote: »

Second this. It's best to give it a new application so things can re-settle with the new hardware. There's no other reason your CPU should be overheating that badly if it wasn't before.

Agreed agreed. You need to clean off the old paste (you can use isopropyl alcohol and a paper towel) from your cpu and heatsink. Then put some new paste on your CPU (a small grain-sized dot in the middle of the CPU will work, the heatsink will spread it out when you clamp it on). http://www.techpowerup.com/printarticle.php?id=134

You can get the paste at Best Buy or Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100007

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    They've also got it at Radio Shack, if it's closer/more convenient.

EDIT: Basically the same price, too...somewhere around $10.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Does your case have proper air flow & enough fans?

I'm not sure.

@everybody else: thanks, I'll look into some thermal paste, then. Unfortunately the heatsink was quite possibly the single most annoying part to install on anything in my entire life.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Applied some thermal paste but no temp changes, so I guess that can be ruled out. I'm guessing either the GPU or the CPU itself is wiggin' out.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Have you adjusted fan speed setting in your bios?

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    Brian4120Brian4120 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Did you use only a single dollop on the center of the CPU? If you put too much thermal paste between the CPU/heatsink you can actually increase your temps.
    Also make sure that the heatsink is seated level on the processor.

Another thing you can try is checking the direction that your air is flowing in your case. I typically go front to back. Make sure that the fan of the heatsink is pointing in generally the same direction (assuming you have one that isn't parallel to the motherboard.

Brian4120 on
    I'M HALPING!
  • Options
    Commander_KeenCommander_Keen Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    With temps like that its def cpu not gpu. Like everyone has said before, check the thermal paste. Make sure you put it on and spread it with an old credit card ( or any similar type of card) and make sure its not to thick. You need to also check fan speeds (as mentioned earlier) and also are you overclocking? I would say go to your bios then select the option to load defaults and save. That will set everything back to stock just how you got it if you changed anything in there. It sounds like you are. You can also try another cpu cooler. They sell after market coolers at best buy or newegg.com if you have time and want to pay less. You shouldnt really be running higher than 35 degrees Celsius on idle.. I'm liquid cooled and i run 22 idle 36 max load with a 20% overclock. But with my old fan setup i was only running 10 degrees higher. You could also just have a bad cpu. What processor do you have and when did you get it?

Commander_Keen on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    What speed does it say your fan (CPU fan) is running at?

Thing is, temps that high won't generally be due to something like poor airflow...at least not temps that spike that high that quickly. Assuming you're at stock clocks (I am assuming this?) you should be able to stress the processor for several minutes, even with the worst possible airflow, before you see issues.

So really your problem is probably either CPU, heatsink, or fan. The CPU could be either generating too much heat, or it's at least theoretically possible that it's reporting the heat incorrectly (that it's not actually that hot). The heatsink may not be conducting heat away (we'll assume for a moment that you've eliminated this, by reinstalling the thermal paste and sink). Or the fan could be either running too slowly or stalled out entirely.

The fourth possibility is the motherboard, that it's delivering too high of a voltage to your CPU. Unless you have it set up for some kind of overclocking this is unlikely, but it's still possible.

So thinking about it, my order of troubleshooting (though I'll admit I'm not exactly an expert) would be:

- Am I overclocked?
    - Is the fan running at all, and at what RPM (at 100%)?
    - What voltage is being delivered to the CPU (vcore)?
    - Is the heatsink properly installed?

The last is actually the most likely issue, so checking it first is also sensible. However the other three can be checked without any annoying hardware reinstalls, even if they were less likely.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Did you ensure you remembered to plug in the CPU fan when you switched motherboards? Whenever I've swapped hardware and had problems it is because I forgot a plug somewhere.

Gilgaron on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Thanks for all the help guys, turns out the CPU heatsink was seated improperly. Seems to be working now!

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png