As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Internet Dating] 'It built character.' - But only after you get them dates!!

• rizriz Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    trednis wrote: »
    now that a bunch of you will be seeing some random guy in your visitors section I might as well put up my profile for critique http://www.okcupid.com/profile/trednis.

I recently received a complimentary message from a local swinger. Was a "thanks, but no thanks" moment.

Overall that sounded good to me. I mean, straightforward with some details that give a good idea of you, I think. One thing I noticed is I don't think you said what you actually do for work, just what your degree is in, is that intentionally not mentioned because it's something you're not happy with? (Apologies if I skimmed over it.)

What stood out the most to me, though, is you don't use contractions ever. This isn't True Grit here. Try to write a little more like how you'd talk. It comes off very stiff and not conversational. Unless you actually don't use contractions when you talk. In which case that's very interesting but a littttle weird.

riz on
  • trednistrednis Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    thanks, I never noticed the lack of contractions before. I do use them in normal conversation, so some editing is in order.

trednis on
  • BlowfluBlowflu FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    www.okcupid.com/profile/blowflu

Just made a profile, figure I'd give the forever alone act a rest and get out into the world! Thoughts or comments?

Blowflu on
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I've been looking at OKCupid profiles, and ran across a girl who says, and I quote: "none want me around." That just seems like pretty much the single worst thing you can put in a profile.

Solomaxwell6 on
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So, straight up in a relationship with the girl I met over PoF two weeks ago. Its really nice when things just... click.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So I been noticing some girls putting "If you play videogames don't contact me".

It boggles the mind. It's like saying if you like reading/watching tv/random hobby don't contact me.

Kyougu on
  • EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Kyougu wrote: »
    So I been noticing some girls putting "If you play videogames don't contact me".

It boggles the mind. It's like saying if you like reading/watching tv/random hobby don't contact me.

Or an opening to say in your first message "Does Angry Birds count?"

I think almost every woman who has actually met people on an online dating site has a "horror story," which typically is simply awkward or weird but usually involves some level of social ineptitude on the part of the guy. And I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of the guys who fall into that category also play video games and make a point of saying so, simply because it's a significant hobby for them.

That's simply correlation, and you know that and I know that. But I'm not surprised to hear that some women see the correlation as something they're not interested in.

That being said, there's no reason you can't still message the person, and if they respond back and it comes up, you can say "Oh, I figured you meant, like, guys who play video games non-stop and live in their parents basement."

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Finally.

A dating site for all the Randites.

The Atlasphere
    The Atlasphere is more than a networking site or a place to read great articles. It is where I go to connect with people who share my passion for Ayn Rand's ideas and my way of looking at the world.

At least they're all contained.

Kakodaimonos on
  • OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    My roommate asked if the Atlasphere was serious. I think it's obvious that the Atlasphere never jokes.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

I'm just as likely to say that if women don't play video games, they shouldn't bother to contact me either. But that's because I uphold a certain amount of "be my friend" in relationships, which is easily achieved if she plays video games. Because I play them. Like a lot. And it's more common ground, and in the specific case of video games gives something to be competitive about.

Henroid on
  • ArgiveArgive Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    EggyToast wrote: »
    I think almost every woman who has actually met people on an online dating site has a "horror story," which typically is simply awkward or weird but usually involves some level of social ineptitude on the part of the guy.

A female friend in Law School had this experience. She had a boyfriend who became obsessed with World of Warcraft. So, when I met her, she really hated all video games with a passion. She has since come around. I put in my profile that I enjoy video games, but I'm starting to think that I might take it off, or at least diminish it a bit.

Argive on
  • ArgiveArgive Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Rofl, I wonder if everyone on the Ayn Rand social networking site also reads Conservapedia. I bet Paul Ryan has a profile.

Argive on
  • Brian KrakowBrian Krakow Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I signed up for that site looking for lulz but it just left me depressed.

Brian Krakow on
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Finally.

A dating site for all the Randites.

The Atlasphere
    The Atlasphere is more than a networking site or a place to read great articles. It is where I go to connect with people who share my passion for Ayn Rand's ideas and my way of looking at the world.

At least they're all contained.

I'll admit, I signed up for the Atlasphere years ago, when it first started out. I was a geeky 15 year old, I had just read Atlas Shrugged and it seemed like the greatest thing ever. As far as I know it's not a dating site (it's more like an Objectivist facebook), but it might've changed since 2005.

Solomaxwell6 on
  • KazakaKazaka Asleep Counting SheepRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Blowflu wrote: »

Just made a profile, figure I'd give the forever alone act a rest and get out into the world! Thoughts or comments?

Damn blood

If you're forever alone, we are all thoroughly fucked!

Lettuce be cereal - put yourself out there man. You'll be fighting girls off.

Kazaka on
  • N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Thoughts/comments: You're cute, and your profile is a good read. That's all I have to contribute to this. You should do well. :-P

N1tSt4lker on
  • mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I really don't like how I look in most photographs I'm in. :?

mrflippy on
  • BlowfluBlowflu FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Kazaka wrote: »

Damn blood

If you're forever alone, we are all thoroughly fucked!

Lettuce be cereal - put yourself out there man. You'll be fighting girls off.

Wow, thanks for the positive input.

I think most of my problem here is that I just need to actually...start messaging people (crazy huh?).

Blowflu on
  • HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    m i doing it rite?

Hamurabi on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    mrflippy wrote: »

Flippy, you've always been my vampire-Jesus. <3

Henroid on
  • N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    m i doing it rite?

Your self-summary feels long. I think it mainly has to do with how it's written, more than the actual amount of content. I would hone it down a little and make it a bit more casual. Right now, it sounds a bit like a CV rather than a dating profile. Something about your "What I'm doing with my life" sounds self-important to me, but that could just be me reading it at the end of a long day. haha. It's something about this sentence: "Given my skillset, I feel I'd be best suited working towards political solutions to the problems of Pakistan and the developing world at large. " Perhaps more of "...I feel I could do some good working...." On the other hand, it could just be me, and you could totally disregard that. Everything else looks pretty good to me.

Oh, the flip-flop picture or the picture just above it would make a better profile photo, imho. I think you can nix the spit bubble picture. You have enough, and your others are better.

Also, I got a laugh out of the purple-scarf-fan pictures. They're fun.

N1tSt4lker on
  • LaliluleloLalilulelo Richmond, VARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I've hit a dry spell. Thoughts anyone? www.okcupid.com/profile/warpoetry

Lalilulelo on
  • LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I would move "play games in my free time" farther down the profile. Like, build up the art part, then throw in that you play games. Having it paired up in the same sentence as work and art just gives a bad vibe, somehow.
    And remember, romance is transactional, the destination is more important than the journey, and your actions sometimes reflect a subconscious bigotry you'll never admit to.

It don't understand the "romance is transactional" part, and the last part kind of sounds like you're accusing people of racism. Recommendation: delete it.
    I'm good at conversation, but I hate it when girls just look at you and have nothing to say (with this blank, 'AMUSE ME, BOY' look in their eyes).

Can you give this a more positive spin? Like "I'm good at conversation, especially with people just as enthusiastic as I am." Everyone blanks out in a conversation once in a while, you don't want girls thinking, "Uh oh, do I do that? Am I one of those blank starers he talks about? No point in even talking to him, then."

LadyM on
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    "romance is transactional" sounds like you feel like you are paying for sex (not always monetarily)

at least, thats how I'm hearing it

Joolander on
    edited April 2011
    THANKYE.

e: fixed(?)

Lalilulelo on
  • MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Got a message from a girl the other day. I was like OoOoOoOoOoOo... So I checked out her profile, decent pics, decent looking gal, good job, nice taste in music/movies/books, and she like my profile. So I bring up her questions that she and I do not agree on and I find that she wants kids, like wants them hella bad.

Are you looking for a partner to have children with?

I answered NO! She answered Yes with the comment about not wanting to get involved and fall in love with someone only to find out they don't want kids.

It's on my profile that I don't want them. Every kid related question I answer with the most DO NOT WANT answer possible.

Fudge.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
    edited April 2011
    Irony thou are a cruel mistress.

Lalilulelo on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Feel like my profile might be stagnating. Always appreciate a set of fresh eyes:

www.okcupid.com/profile/brownchiclets

Kyougu on
  • SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    When it rains it pours. After months and months of messaging girls, I finally got some responses and all of them all at once. Fortunately a few of them have been easy to weed out. Like the jesus-freak who I matched 85% plus with on everything but religion, which was at 6%.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    SkyCaptain wrote: »
    When it rains it pours. After months and months of messaging girls, I finally got some responses and all of them all at once. Fortunately a few of them have been easy to weed out. Like the jesus-freak who I matched 85% plus with on everything but religion, which was at 6%.

Well. Not to defend Jesus-freaks or anything, but could that person possibly be a tame Jesus-freak?

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • retrovmretrovm Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

one of my good friends, though i love her dearly, canNOT take a good photo of me. like, EVER. it's almost comical.

retrovm on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    retrovm wrote: »

one of my good friends, though i love her dearly, canNOT take a good photo of me. like, EVER. it's almost comical.

Well it does not help I am usually awake at night so most of my pics are of the usual bathroom mirror

Brainleech on
  • XaevXaev Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

When I look at myself in the mirror, I usually think I look pretty good but no one seems to be able to take a decent looking picture of me ever.'

Anyways, new OKTrends - 10 Charts about Sex. Definitely some interesting information in there.

Xaev on
    Steam - Lysus || XBL - Veax || PSN - Lysus || WoW - Lysus (Korgath - US) || Guild Wars - Lysus Yjirkar || Starcraft II - Lysus.781 || League of Legends - Lysus
    Feel free to add me on whatever network, it's always more fun to play with people than alone
  • SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Malkor wrote: »
    SkyCaptain wrote: »

Well. Not to defend Jesus-freaks or anything, but could that person possibly be a tame Jesus-freak?

Not likely. Based on the answers to her questions and how many of them were highlighted in pink as being very mismatched.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • CarthageCarthage Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    X

Carthage on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It's not a great photo, but at least he looks happy and you can see his eyes. Get some non-mean-muggin' photos up that show your face clearly.

ed: maybe the suit+cameraphone one, although cameraphones aren't ideal

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • retrovmretrovm Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    i gotta say, when it rains it POURS. i'm still not dating anyone per se as i'm relocating in a little under 2 months (!), but since i had some unexpected fun with a rad guy last weekend they're ALLLLLL coming out of the woodwork suddenly. it's like there's a mailing list or something.

retrovm on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    i gotta say, when it rains it POURS. i'm still not dating anyone per se as i'm relocating in a little under 2 months (!), but since i had some unexpected fun with a rad guy last weekend they're ALLLLLL coming out of the woodwork suddenly. it's like there's a mailing list or something.

I sent out a flyer.

It had all the reasons why someone should date you

:3
    Check's in the mail right?!

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • CarthageCarthage Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    X

Carthage on
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Xaev wrote: »

When I look at myself in the mirror, I usually think I look pretty good but no one seems to be able to take a decent looking picture of me ever.'

Anyways, new OKTrends - 10 Charts about Sex. Definitely some interesting information in there.

this happens to most people

almost no-one is perfectly symmetrical, so when you fix you appearance in the mirror, and then look at a photo taken the same day, to you something will look "off" and your appearance is now stuck in the uncanny valley in regards to your self-image

Joolander on