As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A Song of Ice and Fire: The pilot is so close you can taste the incest.

• Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Game reviews are setting the bar on a different planet from other reviews.

For music and movies, and I'd imagine TV, but I don't watch TV and consequently don't read about it, reviews are way more important and reliable and readable and proven effective in ways that video game reviews can't touch yet.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Kate of LokysKate of Lokys Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I didn't have much faith in television reviews anyway, but the little I had left was pretty much scraped out of me when I looked up reviews of Camelot (after mocking my way through the first two ludicrously bad episodes), and saw what I thought were reasonable, trustworthy sources (Chicago Sun-Times, Wall Street Journal, New York Times) gushing about how stylish and intense it was, and how masterly the acting was, until I started to wonder if they had even watched the same goddamned show as I did.

So, I haven't read any reviews for Game of Thrones. I don't care to. I am a great devotee of the books, I am generally a fan of the HBO/Showtime series (Starz can suck a dick, though), I will enjoy watching the pilot on Sunday, then I will form my own opinion of it.

Kate of Lokys on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If you thought NYT was a reputable source for tv criticism... Well your naïveté is endearing

Seriously though, Sepinwall and Poniewozik are great.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Visskar wrote: »
    ARGH! Last year, the wife and I swapped book series when she was excited about the Guardians of Ga'hoole movie and I the looming Game of Thrones release. No surprise, its taken her longer to get through Game of Thrones than I through the first couple of Guardians books (reading them to my daughter at bedtime). Within the past month, though, she finished GoT and is now halfway through CoK. Better yet, she's devouring up show news as much as, if not more than, myself. But today, I learned that while she was sating her curiousity online whether Arya and Nymeria ever reunite, she has accidently spoiled herself on the *that* part of Storm of Swords. I've been denied the joy of seeing her get her guts stomped on, not fair at all! At least she hasn't spoiled all of SoS for herself so there's still a few shocking moments to come.

My wife knows hardly anything about this world other than the 15 minute preview they showed, and she is quite intrigued. I cannot wait to watch her experience this story, but I am kind of worried about how I should act. for instance...

Episode 1 spoiler....major.
    ...pretty much the entire point of the first episode is seeing bran get flung from that tower. It's the initial hook to the entire season. So how do I play it? She's obviously going to want to know whether or not he lives, and that's what David and Dan are going for. That's what is going to bring people back for the next episode. So as we see Bran through the first episode...should I be detached? She knows that I know what happens...so if I reacted to Bran at all, she would likely know that he lives past the first freaking episode...it's a quandary. Ok, so I'm over-thinking it. I may have been drinking.

Every time any character shows up on screen go "He dies." "She's not dead yet?" "I thought they were murdered already." "They wont end well.". Then she wont know who really dies and she'll be totally surprised when it's everyone!

Just say "He'll be fine!" sarcastically. In the same tone of voice you would if you were say, watching Die Hard or something and people get repeatedly brutalized.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The other half of the Hitfix team posted his review (from the perspective of someone who has read the first book and a half or so, as will become clear at a certain point).

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The thing that upset me the most about the Patterson review is that I think it was written to anger fans of the series and drive page hits, and I clicked on it. It was hard to take seriously when "dragon-ridden" is in the headline. Granted, it's been a few years since I've read Game of Thrones, but I don't recall it featuring dragons prominently.

langfor6 on
  • HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    langfor6 wrote: »
    The thing that upset me the most about the Patterson review is that I think it was written to anger fans of the series and drive page hits, and I clicked on it. It was hard to take seriously when "dragon-ridden" is in the headline. Granted, it's been a few years since I've read Game of Thrones, but I don't recall it featuring dragons prominently.

Dragons actually are a significant part of the series. But I wouldn't consider it dragon-ridden, since
    there are exactly three of them still alive.

Hachface on
    edited April 2011
    Dragons are in A Game of Thrones for exactly one page

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Having read the first three books in a span of six weeks or so they tend to blend together. I didn't recall when exactly the eggs hatched, but the idea that you would say that Game of Thrones is "dragon-ridden" is absurd.

langfor6 on
  • LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Having read the first three books in a span of six weeks or so they tend to blend together. I didn't recall when exactly the eggs hatched, but the idea that you would say that Game of Thrones is "dragon-ridden" is absurd.
    They hatched in Drogo's funeral pyre, in the very last chapter of the book.

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
    edited April 2011
  • HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    This is a negative review that is actually somewhat substantive:

http://unclebarky.com/reviews_files/c3060a8c211d6d66bdfaa06e9a16a71a-1064.html

The main criticism is that it's slow-paced and confusing.

Hachface on
  • YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Imagine if a review of "Deadwood" had mocked the very idea of a Western series telling morally complex adult stories, or if a review of "The Sopranos" proceeded from the assumption that gangster tales are inherently worthless as popular art. You can't. It's unthinkable.

Yougottawanna on
  • CantideCantide Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hachface wrote: »
    This is a negative review that is actually somewhat substantive:

http://unclebarky.com/reviews_files/c3060a8c211d6d66bdfaa06e9a16a71a-1064.html

The main criticism is that it's slow-paced and confusing.

I have a feeling this guy's going to be in for a surprise if he continues past the first six episodes. Unless they secretly abandoned the idea of doing the whole first book in the first season, things are going to get fast once the show gets the necessary exposition out of the way.

Cantide on
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    That would end with a different sort of disappointment about needless exposition if there isn't at least a second season.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    AV Club review. Says it gets overly talky at times and that the pilot is the worst of the six that have been released for review (still gave the pilot a B).

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I expect minute-by-minute updates from you lucky HBO subscribers.

Tamin on
  • Junior YankJunior Yank Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Tamin wrote: »
    I expect minute-by-minute updates from you lucky HBO subscribers.

I signed up on Friday, practically only because of this show. But I've already seen some side benefits: I DVRed ET (yeah, the one with the alien) for future viewing. Somehow I have never seen that movie.

I'm also DVRing the premier episode, because of the Knicks and Celtics.

Junior Yank on
  • BirdsWayBirdsWay Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Very excited for the premiere and now that I've finally been able to watch it... I'll go with a solid B. As an FYI I've read all 4 books so following along wasn't a huge issue. The wife, having no knowledge of the series, seemed to understand it all. Though I did provide some background details here and there..

Pros: Settings were fantastic and they did a great job of pulling you into the show. Atmosphere was great. I felt that most of the actors did an amazing job with the little time they had on screen. Jamie was cocky and fun but not annoying, and the scene between him and his brother was one of my favs.

Cons: By having so many characters, inevitably some don't get fleshed out and are overlooked. Not much interaction between the Stark brothers though I'm sure this will change. The transitions between the Targaryens and Winterfell felt abrupt at some points. The settings are completely different so it's not hard to follow, but still these scene changes felt jilted.

I think they did a great job and I'm definitely hooked. Granted, they'd have to completely bomb this pilot for me not to tune in.

BirdsWay on
  • fortisfortis OhioRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm going into this series completely cold, having never read the books. I do watch a lot of series which have pretty thick plots and many characters, though.

I left the pilot not really knowing what the hell is going on or who the hell is who, but still enjoying it. That's pretty standard with shows that aren't set in modern times or at least America. I'm sure all that will unfold, though.

The biggest comparison I felt was to The Tudors, for better or worse. That show had a habit of having lots of nudity, violence, and sex for the sake of having it and turned into a big soap opera. I hope this show will tone that down a bit, cause there was quite a lot of it in this episode. The good thing though is that with it being fiction, there's a lot of fresh ideas and lore which has me excited to see where this goes.

fortis on
  • Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    To be fair, I thought the transitions between westeros/across the narrow sea were abrupt even in the books. They very rarely interact with each other and it's looking like Dance is going to be the first time they really combine.

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Loved it. Since I'm a longtime fan of the books, I can't speak with authority but I think they did a good job of pulling out the major players and reinforcing who they are without getting the viewer overloaded. At least within the context of "This is an HBO show, you aren't supposed to know what is going on after just one view of the pilot."

And "things I do for love" was done better than I ever imagined. I'm watching Borgias now, but going to catch the next replay just for that scene.

Best quote for the episode:
    "fucking boars and hunting whores."

Knowing Robert, he probably has tried that once or twice...

Tomanta on
  • TrynantTrynant Maniac Brawler Rank 20.100 and full WildRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If the rest of the episodes are as good as the pilot, I'll be ecstatic.
    I'm just glad that the wolves are in. I hadn't heard any word about them until seeing the dead stag.

Trynant on
  • TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    In the last scene with Drogo and Daenerys
    they took a few things from the scene in the book ("no"), but I felt like they missed the whole point. In the book, he actually took his time with her, it's the first time you see Drogo show any gentleness at all.

Of course they can't take fifteen minutes to show foreplay, but I hope they'll at least make an effort to develop the character in a more positive light later in the series.

Tarantio on
  • the Togfatherthe Togfather Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Solid B+. Pacing felt a tad weird from time-to-time, but I think it was due to having so much to set up and mixing that with actual action. Not every character got their chance to stand out yet, but those that did all seemed great. I can see why most reviews have talked about how well Viserys was cast, and yeah...he's pretty much nailing it. The Dothraki wedding was pretty sweet. Loved the setting and the mood and all of that. Robert and Ned in the tombs was pretty great as well.

Most critics seem to claim the first two episodes are a bit uneven, but after that the show really takes off. This has me quite excited...this show is going to be so great. Hopefully HBO pulls a Boardwalk Empire and celebrates by announcing season 2 greenlight tomorrow.

Wife is hooked for sure. She has lot's of questions...
    ...and she thinks Bran is dead...hehe.

the Togfather on
    The night is dark and full of terrors.
    twit feed
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm only about 3 chapters in to the first book, but so far I really like the tv series. I was hoping to have more time to read last week, hopefully I can catch up and pull ahead this week!

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Well in the show he was kind of gentle. For a Dothraki I mean.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Tarantio wrote: »
    they took a few things from the scene in the book ("no"), but I felt like they missed the whole point. In the book, he actually took his time with her, it's the first time you see Drogo show any gentleness at all.

Of course they can't take fifteen minutes to show foreplay, but I hope they'll at least make an effort to develop the character in a more positive light later in the series.

Yeah I hated that scene. They did not characterize it the right way at all.

geckahn on
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    geckahn wrote: »
    Tarantio wrote: »

Yeah I hated that scene. They did not characterize it the right way at all.

Actually, since we didn't go back there yet I'm going to assume that they're going to show it in the proper light next ep, but doing it this way leaves it on kind of a quasi-cliffhanger going into episode two.

Taramoor on
  • InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Loved it. The only seen I didn't really 100% like was the "The things I do for love" scene. But that's more in how I pictured the scene. I always imagined him being more resigned to what he had to do, rather than how quickly he said and did the act in the show.

I think so far, they've done an excellent job with the characters given the hour they had.

Invisible on
  • RaakamRaakam Too many years... CanadalandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Would watch again, A+

How many episodes per season? 15~18sh?

Raakam on
    My padherder
    they don't it be like it is but it do
    edited April 2011
    10 episodes this season

if we get lucky they might make season 2 12 or 13

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Friends with cable have their advantages.

I love how they managed to condense key characterizations into a few moments without a word, or better yet, stuff that wasn't in the book.

Also, I really don't feel this was made for people who haven't read the book.

They would be so lost.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    OH MY GOD.

OH MY GOD.

I love this show.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So far I'm very impressed with what they've done. Granted parts of the dialogue are perhaps a bit more trimmed than I would have liked, but perfectly understandable giving the 1 hour episodic format. Interestingly enough, I have to say I absolutely love the title sequence. The music for the title sequence in particular was awesome with the cello carrying the main theme. It sent shivers down my spine.

I was also impressed by the actor (not sure if they used a stunt person at all, if they did they did a damn good job of hiding it) they got to play Bran. Hot damn that kid can climb.

Operative21 on
  • Hank_ScorpioHank_Scorpio Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    cj iwakura wrote: »

I love how they managed to condense key characterizations into a few moments without a word, or better yet, stuff that wasn't in the book.

They would be so lost.

I haven't read the book and I'm not lost at all.

Hank_Scorpio on
  • Kate of LokysKate of Lokys Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I was very pleased with it overall: the costumes and settings were as lavish as I've come to expect HBO stuff to be, the characterizations just about exactly matched my expectations, and while it does feel simplified overall compared to the novels, I think they did as good a job as could be done in most ways.

One minor quibble:
    The Dothraki hate and fear the "poison water" of the narrow sea. This is known. It is mentioned, repeatedly. They cannot abide the ocean, and their bone-deep cultural loathing of it is the only thing preventing them from raping and pillaging their way through the Seven Kingdoms just on a lark.

But apparently, even the hydrophobic barbarian Dothraki agree that the seaside is just a fabulous place to hold - and consummate - a wedding!

Kate of Lokys on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    cj iwakura wrote: »

They would be so lost.

I haven't read the book and I'm not lost at all.

There's nuances the book made clear that the show didn't even touch on. Nothing dire, but still.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    One minor quibble:
    The Dothraki hate and fear the "poison water" of the narrow sea. This is known. It is mentioned, repeatedly. They cannot abide the ocean, and their bone-deep cultural loathing of it is the only thing preventing them from raping and pillaging their way through the Seven Kingdoms just on a lark.

But apparently, even the hydrophobic barbarian Dothraki agree that the seaside is just a fabulous place to hold - and consummate - a wedding!

I mean, Pentos is a port. There's not a hell of a lot of land nearby that could accommodate a khalansar of (if I remember correctly) 100k that isn't by the sea.

Salvation122 on
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It was very well one but I got a little bored. Will continue to watch.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
This discussion has been closed.