As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Sonic the Hedgehog] New Sonic All-Stars Racing trailer... with Afterburner stage!

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    So with the Sonic Generations coming out, I've been really wanting to get myself back into the major Sonic games. So I've been playing Sonic 1-3, Sonic CD, and Sonic 4.

I'm going to Best Buy today and will be tempted to buy Sonic Rush, which I've never played.

Also I need to get Sonic Colors and I'm even tempted to find a cheap copy of Sonic Unleashed as I'm not sure I gave it a fair shake the first time.

What to do...

For Sonic Unleashed, for the love of god make sure you get the 360/PS3 build.

But if you hate QTE, STAY AWAY.

Never got past that Tornado QTE stage. The version in Sonic Adventure was SO much better.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    apotheos wrote: »
    Sonic is like my nemesis of franchises.

I have no idea how it could generate the enthusiasm inside another living soul to go on to the internet and say nice things.

Are you open to the possibility that perhaps things could change? I don't understand the stubborn opinion some people have that "sonic will always be shit, forever".

Did you try Sonic Colours?

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    People legitimately prefer the Wii/PS2 version of Unleashed over the 360/PS3 version?

I know people have opinions and such.

I didn't think that was an opinion thing so much as an absolute. The sun rises in the east. Energy is conserved. The 360 version of Unleashed is better.

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    So with the Sonic Generations coming out, I've been really wanting to get myself back into the major Sonic games. So I've been playing Sonic 1-3, Sonic CD, and Sonic 4.

I'm going to Best Buy today and will be tempted to buy Sonic Rush, which I've never played.

Also I need to get Sonic Colors and I'm even tempted to find a cheap copy of Sonic Unleashed as I'm not sure I gave it a fair shake the first time.

What to do...

For Sonic Unleashed, for the love of god make sure you get the 360/PS3 build.

But if you hate QTE, STAY AWAY.

Never got past that Tornado QTE stage. The version in Sonic Adventure was SO much better.

That's the only reason I'm not sure if I want to give it another shot...as the first time the tornado section made me shut the game off and send it back to Gamefly I hated it so much.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Huh, I don't remember having a problem with the tornado section of Unleashed.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I only played the Wii version, but I looked up videos of the Tails section and...
    I guess it might be difficult if your color blind... and your eyes are closed.

But it definitely looks unnecessary. The Wii version only has 1 good level, and it's the very last one.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • IgortIgort Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

I did both levels without failing once. No idea why people hate them so much. It's so odd, and yet people hinge their entire hatred of Unleashed on them.

Igort on
  • apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011
    plufim wrote: »
    apotheos wrote: »
    Sonic is like my nemesis of franchises.

I have no idea how it could generate the enthusiasm inside another living soul to go on to the internet and say nice things.

Are you open to the possibility that perhaps things could change? I don't understand the stubborn opinion some people have that "sonic will always be shit, forever".

Did you try Sonic Colours?

Yes. It was definitely a return to form.

But see, 1, 2, 3? I thought they were not very good either. So I don't see the return to form as a positive move.

This is my point.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I don't understand why people go bonkers for a new Halo game, but you won't catch me shitting up a Halo thread because of it.

SmokeStacks on
  • apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011
    Touche.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Igort wrote: »

I did both levels without failing once. No idea why people hate them so much. It's so odd, and yet people hinge their entire hatred of Unleashed on them.

I simply cannot beat the boss. Period.

So it's not even so much hating the game as it is hating that I can't play most of it due to one poorly-implemented level so far removed from the rest of the title's gameplay. And it seems some people can do it, some can't.

Frankly, the one is bad enough, but it disgusts me to think that there are two.

As a bonus mini-game or something, it might have been one thing, but personally, it doesn't simply ramp up the game's difficulty far too early on; it makes it a wall.

I'm watching a Let's Play of the game (same guys who did Sonic 2006), and crying just a little on the inside that I can't play the rest of the game. Even the Werehog stuff doesn't bother me terribly, repetitious enemy music aside.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    New Sonic Generations Info

SEGA America, Inc. and SEGA Europe Ltd., today announced details of Sonic Generations, the highly anticipated video game title in development to celebrate Sonic the Hedgehog’s 20th Anniversary. Delivering the definitive gaming experience for Sonic fans old and new, Sonic Generations sees Sonic the Hedgehog playable as both the much loved classic 1991 character, and the modern day video game hero he has become in this exciting new fast paced adventure. Sonic Generations will speed into stores for the Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and PlayStation3 computer entertainment system for Holiday 2011.

Set across three defining eras from 20 years of Sonic the Hedgehog video game history, the instantly recognizable environments of Sonic Generations have been re-built in stunning HD and are now playable in both classic side scrolling 2D from 1991, as well as modern 3D style found in Sonic’s most recent adventures. Each incarnation of Sonic in Sonic Generations comes complete with his trademark special move, Spin Dash and Spin Attack for Classic Sonic, and the Homing Attack and Sonic Boost for Modern Sonic. An innovative new interactive menu system allows for complete immersion in Sonic’s universe with favorite characters and hidden treasures gradually being revealed throughout the game.

“Sonic Generations will certainly be a fitting celebration for Sonic’s 20th Anniversary,” commented David Corless, Global Brand Director for Sonic. “By having the classic 1991 Sonic that many fans know and love team up with his modern day incarnation, we are bringing back the nostalgia of the early days of Sonic and combining it with the innovation and stunning HD technology of the modern gaming era. Sonic Generations will bring to life the last twenty years of Sonic’s universe in a truly unique and imaginative way.”

Sonic’s universe is thrown into chaos when a mysterious new power creates ‘time holes’ which pull him and his friends back through time. As a result, he encounters some surprises from his past history including Classic Sonic, Sonic as he was in 1991.

Modern Sonic and Classic Sonic must defeat this strange new enemy, save their friends, and find out who really is behind this diabolical deed…

Well there you have it, Sonic's shitty friend is himself (please put down the bat, I'm just joking around)

Waka Laka on
    edited April 2011
    :/

Don't... don't know how I feel about that press release.

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

IMAGES

sonic-generations-playstation-3-ps3-1303141917-003.jpg

sonic-generations-playstation-3-ps3-1303141917-004.jpg

sonic-generations-playstation-3-ps3-1303141917-006.jpg

sonic-generations-playstation-3-ps3-1303141917-007.jpg

sonic-generations-playstation-3-ps3-1303141917-008.jpg

sonic-generations-playstation-3-ps3-1303141917-009.jpg

sonic-generations-playstation-3-ps3-1303141917-010.jpg

sonic-generations-playstation-3-ps3-1303141917-011.jpg

sonic-generations-playstation-3-ps3-1303141917-012.jpg

What the FUCK????

Waka Laka on
  • plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    There was a lot of mention of "friends" there. This does not fill me with confidence.

So... there's a 2D and 3D version of each level? That could be interesting, if done right.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2011
    edited April 2011
    I've shown those screenshots to an equally avid Sonic fan.

He loves em.

I do not. I know it's early days, but still. :/

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    what's the problem with the screenshots? The look of the game seems spot-on to me, and I like the classic sonic model

whether or not the gameplay will be worth a damn, who knows, but I'm willing to give it benefit of the doubt like I have pretty much every other sonic game

Speed Racer on
    edited April 2011
    ...fuck everything I just said, in motion this game looks amazing and I am 120% on board.

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • LeztaLezta Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If the 'Classic' Sonic physics aren't exactly the same as the MD games I shall be pretty disappointed. Sonic 4 showed they seem to have forgotten what those were...

Modern Sonic can do what he likes though.

Lezta on
  • MoioinkMoioink Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Wow, this looks beautiful.

Moioink on
  • Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, I'm on board.

A very obvious and transparent play on nostalgia, but I'll forgive them.

Rex Dart on
    edited April 2011
    IGN Played it

Here is what they say about the physics ->

What it does, is excuse a dual dynamic that brings the best elements of Sonic together. On one side you've classic Sonic, who plays through much as you'd remember him from his 16 bit days, with a combination of the d-pad and a single jump button. On the other there's the dynamic 3D acrobatics of modern Sonic, complete with homing jump, dash attack, and an added sense of speed.

For the classic Sonic sections, gameplay is simple and to the point, and what's really heart-warming is how fully it embraces the series' past. Sonic the Hedgehog 4 did a good job of nailing the look of 2D Sonic, but it didn't quite recapture the feel, its physics and sense of momentum feeling a little wayward.

Sonic Generations' producer Takashi Iizuka understandably jumps to that game's defence, no surprise seeing as he was also on production duties for Sonic 4 – and has had a hand in the series since its 16 bit heyday.

"In [Sonic the Hedgehog 4] Episode I, we didn't actually return to the old physics, and nor did we try to create something totally new," Iizuka says, "What we tried to do was respond to the voices we heard in the fans, and create something based on the feedback we were receiving from fans. On this occasion, with Sonic Generations, we've created a game with a totally different game and with completely different physics."

Different, but for classic 2D Sonic it's exactly the same – or, more accurately, it's exactly the same as you remember it. Sonic's movement seems much less stilted in Generations than it was in Sonic the Hedgehog 4, and gaining and maintaining momentum is a much more satisfying affair.

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGG!

Waka Laka on
  • ItalaxItalax Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The modern Sonic levels looks pretty much just like Sonic Colours set in re-imaginings of the Green Hill Zone. That's a good thing since I though Colours played extremely well. I'm just not sure how I feel about them promising to 'go back to the past Sonics' again. I don't remember Colours doing that and it was the first Sonic game I've enjoyed that much since the old games.

I guess I don't like the continuing reliance on the nostalgia factor for trying to sell me Sonic games, especially after Colours proved to me they could make a really fun game that I enjoyed all the way through.

Still, it looks fun even if I am a little bit disappointed its going to take places basically in environments I've already seen before. I will retract this disappointment under 2 conditions:
    A) Ice Cap Zone is one of the zones they revisit.
    B) One of the unlockables is the original soundtracks for each of the levels.

Italax on
    PSN: Italax - Steam ID : Italax
    Sometimes I Stream Games: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/italax-plays-video-games
  • SeolSeol Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The 3D gameplay looks bland as hell, especially compared to Sonic Colors. Nothing's going on.

2D looks promising - the physics certainly look about right, give or take. We'll see.

Seol on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    And once again, a Sonic game is introduced with countless promises of "no, we fixed it this time! It's exactly what you've been demanding of us, honest!" which kind of fills me with dread. (I just KNEW Sonic 4's meh physics were the result of fans chanting MOMENTUM MOMENTUM MOMENTUM, now we pretty much have proof.)

Sonic Colors didn't get that kind of weird semi-apology, and it's considered to be the best of the 3D Sonics so far. I wonder if there's a connection between the two.

At any rate, I was looking to buy Sonic Colors for my nephew's birthday (he's a Sonic nut) and found Amazon's selling it for $29 now. I'll see if I can sneak it into my Wii for a day or two before I give it to him.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    edited April 2011
    I thought the fans complaints of MOMENTUM started with Sonic 4?

Because he had no momentum.

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I thought the fans complaints of MOMENTUM started with Sonic 4?

Because he had no momentum.

Nah, it's been a common gripe that Sonic's too fast, "speed must be earned" and all that garbage throughout the 3D era. That's why Sonic in Sonic 4 is so poky.

Apparently "momentum" is the opposite of easy blinding speed, or whatever.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I actually liked the physics of sonic 4, even if they did have a few weird things about them

Speed Racer on
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I liked pretty much all the Sonic games of the last six years outside of that 2006 abomination and Black Knight. Even the esoteric stuff like Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity and Secret Rings were enjoyable.

The standouts are Unleashed (360/PS3, Wii is trash) and Colors though, obviously.

So I figger this one I'll enjoy as well.

Edit: Of course this is coming from the guy using a Sonic the Hedgehog wallet...which admittedly was a christmas gift that I feel obligated to use.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    edited April 2011
    Seol wrote: »
    The 3D gameplay looks bland as hell, especially compared to Sonic Colors. Nothing's going on.

2D looks promising - the physics certainly look about right, give or take. We'll see.

Eh, to be fair this is clearly the first level. I would expect the 3D sections in the first level to be a bit barren to get used to the movement. I mean, looking carefully at the modern Sonic section I think we're literally seeing the first 10 seconds of the very first level? It appears the be more of a cinematic intro bit where there's no real control, before that little bit where you actually take control and can aim at the crabs.

Honestly, it's a pretty barren look at the modern Sonic gameplay and I'm pretty confident that's they'll get it to at least Colours standard.

Italax on
    Sometimes I Stream Games: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/italax-plays-video-games
    edited April 2011
    I'm sure you're right, but I would have thought they'd want something a little more impressive to show off at this point, especially as (to me at least) they hit all the right notes with the Classic Sonic part of the trailer.

Seol on
    edited April 2011
    Seol wrote: »
    I'm sure you're right, but I would have thought they'd want something a little more impressive to show off at this point, especially as (to me at least) they hit all the right notes with the Classic Sonic part of the trailer.

Yeah, I think that the focus is clearly on Classic Sonic in that trailer. The modern sonic really seems like just "Also, this dude.". I guess they're pushing the nostalgia aspect for the marketing at this point.

But even the animations we see briefly in that section are strongly reminiscent of Colours, so at this stage it's seems like the modern Sonic stages are gonna come down to how much you liked Colours and the level design.

Italax on
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The new gameplay videos released is incredible. I love how the 2D stages uses a remix of Green Hill Zone's music that sounds like the genesis, and the 3D stages uses a hard rock remix from crush 40 that sounds like the 3D games.

This pleases me.

TheSonicRetard on
    edited April 2011
    oh FUCK. Classic robotnik is BACK.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    This seems odd - they already have classic Sonic gameplay back in the Sonic 4 game. Any chance this project cancels Episode 2?

Looks nice though - I'd love it if they reverted back to the Robotnik name.

Lindsay Lohan on
    edited April 2011
    This seems odd - they already have classic Sonic gameplay back in the Sonic 4 game. Any chance this project cancels Episode 2?

there is concept artwork floating around showing the design for the model for Sonic 2's Egg Mobile which has the name "Dr. Robotnik" on it.

TheSonicRetard on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The new gameplay videos released is incredible. I love how the 2D stages uses a remix of Green Hill Zone's music that sounds like the genesis, and the 3D stages uses a hard rock remix from crush 40 that sounds like the 3D games.

This pleases me.

I wish you'd just link stuff instead of playing coy and hinting around. :?

http://www.tssznews.com/2011/04/18/first-in-game-footage-of-sonic-generations-surfaces/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmN0Z6GAfj0&feature=player_embedded

For those wondering what the hell he's talking about with Robotnik, you can see his picture on the end of level signpost at 3:17.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    edited April 2011
    See, in that video the 3D sections look fun, not nearly as bland as implied by the trailer. They just picked bland bits for the trailer for some reason.

Seol on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

there is concept artwork floating around showing the design for the model for Sonic 2's Egg Mobile which has the name "Dr. Robotnik" on it.

http://www.tssznews.com/2011/04/18/sonic-anniversary-concepts-actually-ad-agency-college-challenge/
    Earlier today, we published a story that stemmed from an alleged NeoGAF discovery of an array of Sonic 20th anniversary related promotion initiatives and merchandise concepts. It included, among other things, an interactive poster, multiple instances of apparel, and sketches for an Eggmobile model using the name “Dr. Robotnik,” Eggman’s original Westernized name.

Since the discovery, there have been some remarks made around the Internet that the elements looked more like college projects than serious Sega initiatives. As we learned this morning, it turns out that’s because they are college projects.

This one is a bit tough to explain…so we’ll let iNAUDiBLE, who corrected us on the original story, do it instead:

Both NeoGAF and this site are wrong about the origins of these concept pieces. Most of these were created by college design students for a contest prompt given by SEGA (other companies gave out prompts for the contest as well, including 20th Century Fox and Boost) for the YCN Student Awards. None of these students were commissioned for anything and they give no indication of whether or not these ideas will actually be used for Sonic’s 20th Anniversary. I’d think that SEGA would’ve had their own marketing ideas lined up farther in advance rather than commission college students halfway towards June for concepts. (And indeed, they have!) Maybe we’ll see them in the future, maybe we won’t, but I would think they would give SOME indication on the site that “hey, we reserve all rights to use this” or whatever if they were intended to be used. The only thing these students might be getting for this is bragging rights and some shiny trophy or what have you.

It’s worth noting that they list “no formal mandatories”, so any concerns that SEGA is “serious about calling Eggman Robotnik” based on student concept art is utter balls. They list NOTHING of the sort, no restrictions on ideas.

That is more than enough information to consider our previous story flawed on the basis of a factual error. For that reason, the original story has been retracted. We regret the error.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky