As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WWE All-Stars] King of the Ring, anyone?

124»

• lpburk2lpburk2 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    pawa24 wrote: »
    Not impressed with this game. Its fun but not very.

It's certainly not "No Mercy," but it will have to suffice for those of us that long for the glory days. I don't think I'll ever have the chance to create replicas of my professors (complete with taunts and personalized finishing maneuvers) and classmates like I did with "Wrestlemania: 2000" again.

I think the Penny-Arcade Wrestling Federation needs an Internet championship belt as a nod to the WCW Television title of old, in addition to the standard World title and Tag Team championship.

lpburk2 on
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Rented this game. It's okay for a little while, but gets old pretty fast. Why the Smackdown games get dumped on so much by people here I'll never get, cause they're better games with a lot more content. The Create a Wrestler is really pathetic, especially.

I'll stick to SD and Fire Pro, I think.

LockedOnTarget on
    edited April 2011
    Rented this game. It's okay for a little while, but gets old pretty fast. Why the Smackdown games get dumped on so much by people here I'll never get, cause they're better games with a lot more content. The Create a Wrestler is really pathetic, especially.

I'll stick to SD and Fire Pro, I think.

I'll tell you why the "Smackdown" games get dumped on so much. F' em, that's why! Going from AKI games to the SD turds is one of life's biggest letdowns! I still haven't recovered from the horror of the first time I placed one of those abortions posing as games into the PS2, expecting to get a N64 quality experience. The horror!

lpburk2 on
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    lpburk2 wrote: »
    expecting to get a N64 quality experience.

I don't think anything will ever trump WCW/NWO Revenge for me. Mainly because Bill Goldberg was the baddest mother fucker on the planet at the time and I could be him and spear the shit out of everyone. But also it was a solid wrasslin' game.

I remember Acclaim making the WWF games and they wern't up to par :( which is a shame because Stone Cold Steve Austin is my all time favorite wrestler and I never got a proper game with him in it.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    edited April 2011
    Skull2185 wrote: »

I don't think anything will ever trump WCW/NWO Revenge for me. Mainly because Bill Goldberg was the baddest mother fucker on the planet at the time and I could be him and spear the shit out of everyone. But also it was a solid wrasslin' game.

I remember Acclaim making the WWF games and they wern't up to par :( which is a shame because Stone Cold Steve Austin is my all time favorite wrestler and I never got a proper game with him in it.

It sounds like you were there for the awesome WCW vs. WWF Monday night showdowns in the late 90's. I don't think I missed a single Nitro from '97 to 2000, thanks to being in law school at the time and having several classmates who wanted to watch every week. God, I miss it. I can't stomach the garbage the WWE is hoisting upon us today.

lpburk2 on
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Ummm....what?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-UMVAXB-D8

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I don't remember No Mercy. I think I might have given up after Acclaim put out that awful Raw game.

@lpburk2: I don't remember WCW vs WWF stuff... I bet that was great though! I pretty much watched Nitro during the NWO/Wolfpack stuff. Thought it was so Awesome when Sting jumped ship to the Wolfpack. Then I moved to Raw once I saw Stone Cold. I remember when The Rock was in The Nation of Domination, I remember when they introduced Kane and the big deal about him being Taker's horribly burned brother. Of course the Austin/McMahon fights... ahh the memories! You making me get all nostalgic!

Every once in a while I think about checking out Raw on mondays, but it sounds like its not worth it?

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • RuinsRuins Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I don't remember No Mercy. I think I might have given up after Acclaim put out that awful Raw game.

@lpburk2: I don't remember WCW vs WWF stuff... I bet that was great though! I pretty much watched Nitro during the NWO/Wolfpack stuff. Thought it was so Awesome when Sting jumped ship to the Wolfpack. Then I moved to Raw once I saw Stone Cold. I remember when The Rock was in The Nation of Domination, I remember when they introduced Kane and the big deal about him being Taker's horribly burned brother. Of course the Austin/McMahon fights... ahh the memories! You making me get all nostalgic!

Every once in a while I think about checking out Raw on mondays, but it sounds like its not worth it?
    Depends on how much tolerance you have. There are good aspects and then very very bad aspects.

Ruins on
    ach.png
    edited April 2011
    redfield85 wrote: »

Ummm....what?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-UMVAXB-D8

I believe he's talking about WWF War Zone, which was inferior.

lpburk2 on
    edited April 2011
    The actual wrestling these days is just as good if not better than it ever was. The storylines and characters though, are ultra-stale.

And the Smackdown series has evolved into a pretty damn good game. Not Aki-level, but way better than All-Stars, that's for sure. This game is seriously lacking. No submissions. Barely any match types. No actual tag matches, even. No fun stuff to do with weapons. No women. Terrible, TERRIBLE CAW.

I'm really dissapointed. It's just so bare-bones. It feels like a game from 10-15 years ago in some ways.

LockedOnTarget on
    edited April 2011
    It feels like a game from 10-15 years ago in some ways.

Says the Smackdown lover. ZING!

I know this game isn't full of shit to do. It is just a lot more fun than Smackdown because it is over the top and the online doesn't lag horribly like Smackdown (which makes it completely unplayable when you are watching the game go from one image to another).

No Mercy/Wrestlemania 2000 are the best. After that, Fire Pro Returns. After THAT, who gives a fuck. We each love whatever game for specific reasons. That is all that matters.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    edited April 2011
    I can certainly agree that SD's online sucks major ass. I don't really play these games online though so I guess that really doesn't matter to me. The only online part I care about is being able to download other people's creations(great idea, BTW).

LockedOnTarget on
    edited April 2011
    Yea, that is a huge part of online for sure. I typically play online with a select few friends and if a game like Smackdown can't give me a proper online experience, it is a waste of a game for me (I have 07 and 10). I was going to get All-Stars either way, but with the online working well it really puts it a notch above Smackdown for me.

I love in-depth customization. I spent HOURS UPON HOURS with FPR on PS2. I had a blog dedicated to posting my creations. I still love that game. Heh.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    For less than Twenty bucks I got all the good GCN wrestling games today at Gamestop.

DoR 1+2 (The best AKI clones ever), Ultimate Muscle (Goofy, Cartoony AKI wrasslin with a strange as hell liscense) and Def Jam Vendetta (Probably the best last gen wrestling game despite having almost no modes besides regular fights)

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    edited April 2011
    For less than Twenty bucks I got all the good GCN wrestling games today at Gamestop.

DoR 1+2 (The best AKI clones ever), Ultimate Muscle (Goofy, Cartoony AKI wrasslin with a strange as hell liscense) and Def Jam Vendetta (Probably the best last gen wrestling game despite having almost no modes besides regular fights)

I've never played the "Day of Reckoning" games. How close are they to the AKI gems?

lpburk2 on
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I like em. Considering getting DoR2 finally, after all these years. It's the only wrestling game I am aware of where you can play as Muhammad Hassan.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

Really? I rather enjoyed Attitude...

After that, I got the first Smackdown and WWF WrestleMania 2000, and after that... well, I just sort of quit buying every new wrestling game to come along. I don't remember if it was the lack of HBK and Owen eventually leading to disinterest, or if it was because I got married in 2001 and moved to Toronto, thus allowing me less funds to be as frequent a customer.

Either way, I've heard so much about how No Mercy is basically the greatest wrestling game ever made, but I've never really understood why.

I've not played it, though, so that's very clearly part of why. I went from WWF WrestleMania 2000 to Smackdown, rented the Nitro game once (or maybe I had a demo...), checked out one of the first SDvsRaw games on a rental, and it wasn't until SDvsRaw 2010 that I seriously played a wrestling game again.

At this point, I wonder if I should look into No Mercy. I already have an itch to play WarZone and Attitude again, for old time's sake, but come on, guys: sell me on No Mercy. I really want to know why I should dial the clock back ten years to look into this. And I'd love to know how it beats today's best, which is something I doubt old reviews would tell me.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    edited April 2011
    It's always time to dial back the clock if you're going back for an AKI game.

EDIT: Though I must admit when I last played "No Mercy" (about five years ago), I spent most of the time cursing all current game developers that nothing presently measured up to this. Don't remember the timeline exactly, but similar cursings were heard when Chris Benoit went on a killing spree, and I realized Nintendo would never allow him to appear on any virtual console offerings. My wife convinced me playing it was bad for my blood pressure.

lpburk2 on
  • mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I just picked this up and would love to get some matches in with people. I have almost no background knowledge of wrestling, but I always loved playing Raw on Genesis. I played the demo for All-Stars and loved it.

My 360 tag is King Space Pope.

mightyspacepope on
    edited May 2011
    So, 360 players, who is interested in doing a King of the Ring Tournament?

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So I grabbed a copy of this over the weekend and I'm having a blast. Yes, it's a bit shallow - but it's very much a throwback to the old arcade games I was brought up on. The video montages are really well produced too.

The only thing I'm really bad at is blocking and reversing moves. There's really no tutorial to help with this. Can someone give an idiot's guide to when to use RB, LB and reversals?

Lindsay Lohan on
    edited May 2011
    Basically, if you see the indicator on the screen, it is too late.

You have to anticipate strikes (or you can just hold block and block their whole string of strikes). I never really use the LB to dodge grapples. I tend to try and do a weak strike to stop them mid grapple.

And the only way to get decent with reversing moves is to be put in those moves and learn when to hit the reversal button.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So they just added more DLC. R-Truth for free (they don't want him getting money! Conspiracy!) And Legion of Doom too. What a rush!

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

Yea, I picked up all the DLC so far except the Million Dollar pack (I don't know why). Played a bit yesterday with CCF and this game is still a blast to play.

Jericho (me) vs Kane (CCF). He gets his finisher ready. I am like OH SHIT. So, I try to running strike him. I run at him, jump into the air, and he catches me for the chokeslam finisher. It was so great. This game definitely needs more love.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I picked up all the DLC last night - I had points left over after getting Kenshi/Rain for MK so I went on a bit of a buying spree. Soooo fun. Dusty Rhodes plays exactly like he should - all punchy and elbowy.

I wonder how this game sold - I read somewhere that a cartoony wrestling title is coming out next year based on a new kids' show they're doing, I wonder if it's based on this engine.

I saw a trailer for it in the WWE thread and it looked like garbage to be honest. I would prefer a straight up sequel to All-Stars.

I wanted to like Jericho, but I really hate his outfit. I had a strange urge to play as Mark Henry.

bYf6vNQ.png