As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

When I'm rushing on my run And I feel just like Jesus' [CHAT]

1252627282931»

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2011
    tynic wrote: »

My memory is a bit fuzzy but I seem to recall you said you had problems with visualizing numbers and getting an intuitive understanding of arithmetic concepts ... I could be way off though. Anyway, hit me up if you like and we can try out some tricks.

I will PM you the link to my lengthy H/A thread, where PA goes tell me I'm critically disabled.

Mangoes we really need a picture of your mug so we can photoshop glasses on you. This is the only way. I have a pair of glasses that I never wear, I've just chosen to not be able to read tvs from 20 feet away or discern that everything in the distance has clear lines. I think I wore them for like, three days, in highschool.

Grif, I hope the island didn'd sustain any serious damage, I imagine your house shaking even a little bit is scary as shit. We narrowly escaped the path of a tornado here in NC, it fucked up a trailer park like 30minutes south of us like woah.

Iruka on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Lady Rooks, you should wear contacts! THEY'RE THE BEST.

I also need new glasses. I think the lenses in these are 6+ years old or something stupid like that.

Contacts are pretty sweet, though. At first it's weird to touch your eyeball, and you are aware that "there is something on my eye, this is hella weird"...but after a week or two or three it's not a problem anymore.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I probably should. In some ways I preferred to coast at less than perfect eye sight than to slowly become more and more dependent on glasses and contacts. At this point, its probably not a bad idea to see an eye doctor again, I cant imagine my eyes are any better. Contact technology has also improved, I think.

Iruka on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Yeah mang - just be good about keeping them clean and not wearing them for longer than you're supposed to, like many idiots do. I've heard people say things like "these are only two-week wear, but I haven't taken them out in three months!"....don't do that.

I used to be one of those idiots who wore mine in overnight. I once wished that something would happen so I would stop doing that (because I was too stubborn to stop, even though I knew it was a bad idea)...and when I got to SCAD, the air quality there bugged my eyes out so bad that I could only wear contacts for a few hours during the day. It saved my eyeballs from my bad habit! Now I'm pretty religious about taking out my contacts when I'm supposed to. I also try to wear my glasses every so often to give my eyes a break from contacts.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited April 2011
    Iruka wrote: »
    Grif, I hope the island didn'd sustain any serious damage, I imagine your house shaking even a little bit is scary as shit. We narrowly escaped the path of a tornado here in NC, it fucked up a trailer park like 30minutes south of us like woah.

Yeah, things are fine here. There haven't been any reports of serious damage and no reports of injuries so we got off pretty lighlty. It just freaked a lot of people out.

Grifter on
  • Options
    MangoesMangoes Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So I went with contacts! It's really awesome to look at things without any glare, and with no frames getting in the way. And being able to wear sunglasses without prescription is pretty swell too.

It took me a good 5 minutes per eye to get the suckers in, but I tried again and I'm already getting quicker. On a related note, I've come to the realization that I have extremely long girly eyelashes that do a nice job of protecting my eyes from fingertip-sized invaders.

Mangoes on
  • Options
    farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Contacts weird me out, in two weeks I went from oh my god, oh my god its going to be touching my eyeball, to sticking my finger in there and sliding around trying to the bastards in place.

<over a decade of wearing glasses again>

farbekrieg on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Mangoes wrote:
    So I went with contacts! It's really awesome to look at things without any glare, and with no frames getting in the way. And being able to wear sunglasses without prescription is pretty swell too.

It took me a good 5 minutes per eye to get the suckers in, but I tried again and I'm already getting quicker. On a related note, I've come to the realization that I have extremely long girly eyelashes that do a nice job of protecting my eyes from fingertip-sized invaders.

When you lift your eyelids to put your contacts in, just hold down your eyelashes.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Iruka have you been to khan academy? It is glorious at teaching math to people who haven't taken math in 4 years and are slightly embarrassed that they have forgotten how to factor. Basically the shiny utopian dream of the internet.

http://www.khanacademy.org/

Molybdenum on
    Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    ND : How bad is your sight without them? Because my prescription was super light, and I am fine to drive and such without glasses. Really the only thing I cant do, is read text that is small-ish from obnoxious distances, which is only mildly inconvenient when highway driving at night (white text on dark backgrounds blurs the worst). I'm actually pretty alright at reading blurred/skewed text (yeah, take that CAPTCHA text!) and not being to, say, read the TV guide from across the house isn't like a huge deal.

I only ended up with the pair I have now because I couldn't read overhead projectors from the back of the room in highschool. I would also sit in back because I hated math, just to bring the conversation full circle haha.

Moly: havent seen that site, thanks for the link.

Iruka on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Iruka wrote: »
    ND : How bad is your sight without them? Because my prescription was super light, and I am fine to drive and such without glasses. Really the only thing I cant do, is read text that is small-ish from obnoxious distances, which is only mildly inconvenient when highway driving at night (white text on dark backgrounds blurs the worst). I'm actually pretty alright at reading blurred/skewed text (yeah, take that CAPTCHA text!) and not being to, say, read the TV guide from across the house isn't like a huge deal.

I only ended up with the pair I have now because I couldn't read overhead projectors from the back of the room in highschool. I would also sit in back because I hated math, just to bring the conversation full circle haha.

Moly: havent seen that site, thanks for the link.

My prescription is pretty light, I guess. My contacts box says the strength is -1.75, and most people I speak with have -3.0 or higher, like....8.0. I've driven during the day, around town, without glasses...but not by choice. :P I would not drive without eyewear at night. It sounds like your eyesight is probably better than mine.

I dunno - I didn't like glasses when I initially started wearing 'em, but I loved that I could see the edges of things. Trees were suddenly AWESOME to look at.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    MangoesMangoes Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I had to re-learn how to perceive depth outdoors when I first got glasses. Grass looks very different when you can see.

Mangoes on
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011
    I need to get in and up my prescription, but I cannot afford to =(

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011
    I need to do the same, but I'm too lazy. Doing the whole doctor/dentist/optometrist thing is enough of a hassle normally, doing it in another language just makes me want to curl up and go to sleep.

that said I really need to do something about my prescription, I'm having trouble reading street signs and stuff.

tynic on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    That's why, right before my prescription for the year expires, I order a bunch more boxes of contacts! OLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO[tiny]LOLOLOL[/tiny]

I'm going to get new glasses this year, though. Those lenses are too old (and I've had to bring the frames back from the verge of death about 20 times).

NightDragon on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    HUFF

PUFF

TAM. Thank god you're here.

Hey, so I am trying to remember the name of this one 19th-20th century American philosopher, and I can't. All I remember is that he had an epic mustache and that he was kind of a hard ass. Can you help me out?

Aw, sorry DDV, I went to sleep
    I really only know about American pragmatists
    do you know what the content of the philosophy was?
    here's some suggestions:

William James
    Charles Sanders Peirce
    John Dewey

it's more than likely Peirce or James

Tam on
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Maybe he's not American. I remember him having an odd name.

I don't think it was any of those three. I know I've seen you mention this guy on these boards before. He may have been an author. A literary writer, perhaps.

Want to say it started with an F.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    last name or first name?
    possibly Friedrich Nietzsche?
    he had one hell of a mustache
    friedrich-nietzsche.jpg

Tam on
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular