As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4E PbP OOC] Vanguard Tower

SquintsSquints Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in Critical Failures
tower.jpg

Since my last adventure sputtered out, I'm continuing the campaign a bit down the path from where we left off.

Vanguard Tower is an one-off adventure at level 4, which will then continue through epic levels if we are lucky.

Characters from my first adventure will be accepted first, but I assume I will need more players to fill in the spots vacated by those not interested. Thus far, MarkBruno has expressed interest in playing as his character Quest. EDIT: I haven't heard from Mark since I started the thread, so his spot is now open.

Spot 1: Tavaros Kahlir, Tiefling Psion
Spot 2: Owein, Kenku Rogue/Sorcerer Hybrid
Spot 3: Crylin, Revenant Battlemind
Spot 4: Helwig, Dwarf Barbarian
Spot 5: Eison Tal'reth, Human Cleric

Current Submissions:
Eison Tal'reth, human cleric
MyDcmbr's submission

Needs:
Leader

Those interested should make a level 4 character, with the following rules:
1. Core books only; I MIGHT consider a monster/dragon race but I would prefer races from PHBs and campaign settings. Same goes for classes.
2. 680 gold to buy magic and mundane items. I will then hand out magic items to the finalized party. I am doing this to keep a balanced and realistic (as in, "I have a frost weapon because the last adventure took place in an arctic setting") campaign. If I fill an item slot you already have a magic item for, I will refund your money and you will have a chance to finalize your equipment before we start.

MarkBruno, you can keep magic items you had received so far in the last adventure, on top of your starting 680 GP.

Background:
A man named Douven Staul has taken the party under his wing with the intent of training you all into an adventuring group. He has the dream of creating a mercenary company singular entities and governments can hire for various activities. Some of you may have known one another for years or as few as six months - long enough that you trust each other in a battle.

Staul has learned of dragon's tomb near Winterhaven, a small village a few days away. A dragon's tomb means a dragon's hoarde, does it not? With the hope of treasure (and an instant influx of money to really get this mercenary company rolling), he heads to Winterhaven.

That was three months ago.

Something has obviously happened to your mentor, and it's up to you to find out what.

Quest and his party set out to find Douven. After rescuing their mentor, a plot to open The Shadowfell was uncovered. Battling their way down through the keep and revealing ancient mysteries, including the tragic events that led to the keep being abandoned, Quest and his companions defeated the necromancer Kalarel and brought peace to the surrounding areas - for now. As any seasoned adventurer will tell you, necromancers rarely stay dead for very long.

Fast-forward a few months. The adventuring party continues to take out mercantile contracts in partnership with Douven. It's then that a druid arrives with a very interesting story...

Feel free to insert your proposed character into the above background in any way (a new hire, fought in the keep above The Shadowfell (maybe he or she even has the scars/lingering injuries to prove it).

Please submit characters in your favored way. Try to keep it limited to two characters. Feel free to ask any questions, I probably missed something.

Squints on

• Options
    TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Might be interested, durrrr! <3 Is there a deadline of sorts?

TheBog on
  • Options
    DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    What's the deadline, and would Mythweavers be an acceptable location to post characters?

DrDinosaur on
  • Options
    Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I know you're not wanting a ton of monstrous races, but would a kenku work? If not, I can do a similar build for a halfling.

Lord Palington on
    SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    What the hell is a ken... *looks it up* What the fuck!? There are awesome bird people in d&d!?

TheBog on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I haven't decided on a deadline. I may set a deadline once I get a full party's worth of applicants? lol. Mythweavers/orokos/IC/whatever for online submission sheets.

Squints on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Surprisingly, Kenku may work in this particular campaign. He'll have to be unaligned, I suppose, since Neutral Evil doesn't work.

Squints on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    First character: Kormak Gjukison, Dragonborn Cleric of Erathis
    A large, rust-colored Dragonborn dressed in heavy scale armor bursts into the tavern. "DOUVEN STAUL! MY NAME IS KORMAK, SON OF GJUK! I HAVE COME TO ASSIST YOUR LITTLE BAND OF MERCENARIES!" There is a pause. "NOW WHICH ONE OF YOU IS DOUVEN STAUL?"

You take the chance to finish off the rest of your ale in peace as the would-be soldier asks where you might be found. It's not bad, and you'll have to remind yourself to come back sometime when Dragonborn aren't ruining the atmosphere. Speaking of which...

"YOU ARE DOUVEN STAUL?" the hulking form bellows. You kindly ask him to sit and quiet down. As he does so, you notice the typical markings of Erathis adorn his armor. A pious mercenary. How odd.

"So, Kormak, why exactly do you think that I should let you join my, eh, company?" you ask. "I AM A MIGHTY CLERIC OF-" you cut him off with a Look, "sorry, a cleric of Erathis. I intend to civilize these lands, by force if necessary, restore my family's honor and, well, have an adventure. I've heard about your work at Shadowfell Keep, and I want to join."
    Kormak Gjukison is small for a Dragonborn, but by no means slight. He grew up in the northern village of Eel's Back, born into a family of fishermen. As a young hatchling, he learned the stories of Arkhosia, the ancient Dragonborn empire, and became entranced with the fallen civilization. However, circumstances soon brought him back to the present, as the vast fish migrations that his father, and the village, depended on dried up one season. Kormak's father swore to find some source of food, and set out to save the village.

After two weeks he had not returned.

Eel's Back survived, but only barely. Shamed, Kormak's family sank into the background of life in the village, becoming far less prominent. His two brothers soon left, hoping to find work as mercenaries. What little money they could afford to send home, they did.

5 years after his father left, Kormak found himself bored of village life, and once again turned back to the stories of Arkhosia. He became infatuated with the idea that he could bring about another Dragonborn Empire, and set out in order to make that dream a reality. His first destination was the nearest city, where he latched on to an Order of Erathis, viewing the god of civilization as the shortest route to his goal. After a year spent studying, he took up his weapon and set out into the world, in a traditional rite of passage for new clerics of Erathis.

Second Character: Tavaros Kahlir, Tiefling Psion
    As you enter the Fattened Hog, an inn known for its particularly good chicken, you notice a commotion near the performer's area. Probably just another bard who's going to end up giving the crowd their money back, plus interest, but it wouldn't hurt to eavesdrop.
    "Gentlemen, I assure you, I am a magician of no little power and if you would just let me perform one more trick I am quite sure you will-" "Oi, 'e's tryin' to escape!" a particularly eloquent local cuts in. "My brother 'ad this 'appen to 'im once, the sneaky bastard threw a smoke bomb and scampered off 'fore they could hang 'im! Right rude, I say!"
    "Sirs, I have no smoke bombs, nor any weapons at all, and you are welcome to examine my person to confirm my testimony." "Listen, devil, we'll just stay right here and you show us your trick. And it had better be a damn good trick."
    "Oh, believe me, it is QUITE good." the performer says. "Now, I just need a volunteer, you'll do fine, step right up here, now see, I have nothing up this sleeve, (please, sirs, observe closely, it is very easy to miss this one) I have nothing up THIS sleeve, now watch as I say the magic word..." There is a sudden quiet as you notice the crowd strain to listen and watch whatever this supposed magician does next.

"The magic word, FAPPO!"

With a resounding smack a large man flies through the crowd, bowling over several overeager observers, and embeds himself in the floor next to you. A dangerous hush falls over the mob.

"GRAB HIM AND STRING HIM UP!"

Normally, you'd try to stop a street brawl, but it's obvious to you that you wouldn't stand a chance against this crowd. You still stand up, unsure of whether to assist or run, when a Tiefling in upper class clothing darts out from the crowd, who for some reason seem to have turned on each other.
    "Hello there-" he pauses and you feel something in your head and suddenly it's gone, "Douven Staul. You seem like a reasonable sort, so what do you say to leaving this uncultured cesspool and finding someplace a bit nicer?" As he speaks one of the local farmhands creeps up behind him with a large chair leg, swings it-
    And the Tiefling is now apparently standing by the door. "By the way, my name is Tavaros Kahlir. Shall we be off?"
    Tavaros Kahlir is a 31-year-old Tiefling who makes his living exploiting his psionic powers. Though he fancies himself a nobleman, he comes from humble beginnings, born and raised on a farm near Rivercrest. During his adolescence, his psionic powers grew to fruition, and he found himself able to pry into the minds of others and manipulate them to his own ends.

This behavior earned him a one-way ticket out of Rivercrest, and he spent the next few years darting about the countryside, endearing himself to the high class and making enemies of, and gold from, the peasantry. When those easy targets became scarcer, he found himself reflecting on his life, and resolved to reform himself. He sought out areas known for highwaymen, making himself look like a juicy target with his high-class clothes and lack of apparent weaponry. Those who attempted to rob him found themselves on the wrong end of a skilled psionic warrior, who danced about the battlefield, taunting them.

After a time, Tavaros found himself without peasants or bandits to exploit, and decided to try his hand at adventuring, deeming it a worthy use of his self-described finely honed skills.

DrDinosaur on
  • Options
    Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Submission one:

Owein, Kenku Rogue/Sorcerer Hybrid
    Owein.jpg
    A Few Months Ago...

"Find Douven Stahl, huh?" The cloaked figure rested a claw on its beak. "And just what do I get out of this little quest, hm?"

In the forest above him, there was only silence.

"Fine, fine. Just tell father I expect what I've always expected." The figure continued on down the road a bit before cocking its head just as a small spear slammed into the tree behind him. "Another battle, already?" He sighed as he readied his staff, then wondered (not for the last time) if the Raven Queen was hiring.
    Owein is used to working as little as possible to get what he needs. Unfortunately for him, what he 'needs' is never simple. Right now the leader of his clan has him investigating the human who cleansed the Fortress by joining up with his mercenary crew.

Never one to commit to only one thing, Owein has split his training between the sorcerous and the silent, surprising those that expect a magic-user to be weak in close combat with quick, precise blows with his ever-present quarterstaff. He knows that one day the element of surprise won't be enough to save him, but that day hasn't come yet, and Kord willing, it won't for some time.

(Squints - if this doesn't work for a kenku background in your game, let me know and I'll edit as needed)

Submission two:

Shadi Sariyah, Eladrin Bard (Swordmage & Warlock multiclass)
    Shadi.jpg
    If there was one thing Shadi craved, it was the song. He seeks it constantly, from the rolling desert hills of his homeland to his present location, wherever that may be. If there were two things Shadi craved, it was the song and good drink. The eladrin never passed up an opportunity to sample the local spirits, preferably with good food and company to go along with it.

But if there were three things Shadi craved? Well, that's where adventure comes in. Shadi had signed right up with Douven's crew when he had arrived in the area the year before. He had missed the main event within the keep, but he had fought in the battle above. His scimitar had shone in the moonlight, his voice had carried above the din, but he saw a brute bearing down on him that he knew, deep in his heart, he could never hope to defeat.

Time slowed then, and his memory became hazy. He remembers speaking with a creature that exists only between the seconds, never truly coming into being. He remembers a pact being made, a promise to be exacted in the future. But now? Now time returned in full force, but when the brute met Shadi's eyes, he blinked. To Shadi, nothing had changed, but the monster witnessed the dervish disappear and confused, found another target.
    Shadi is from very far away and has traveled many miles to come here. He is a jack of all trades, a bard who has mastered the arcane connection between magic and his sword, and recently has made a warlock's pact with a creature of the feywild. He has been in Douven's mercenary company for almost a year now, which is a new record in his life for not getting bored and moving on. The constant challenges (and let's face it, the rewards) have managed to keep him in this area for now.

Lord Palington on
    SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Dinosaur, how'd you get a array of 9-14-13-20-13-17 for Tavaros Kahlir?

Squints on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Whoops, that was based on a 22-point buy build. I've readjusted them based on the standard array, should be all good now. Thanks for the heads up.

DrDinosaur on
  • Options
    SwordstoneSwordstone Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Any special rules on clerics and where their powers come from? For instance, might I play a LG non-theist cleric who gains his divine powers from the lingering soul of his dead wife and the oath he has sworn to bring her peace?

Swordstone on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Swordstone wrote: »
    Any special rules on clerics and where their powers come from? For instance, might I play a LG non-theist cleric who gains his divine powers from the lingering soul of his dead wife and the oath he has sworn to bring her peace?

I can work with this

Squints on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Alright. Dr. Dino, I'mma pick Tavaros Kahlir, Tiefling Psion. You can add Staff of Punishing Thoughts +1 and Psyweave Cloak +1 (neck) to his equipment.

Lord Palington, I'mma use Owein. You can add Staff of the War Mage +1 and Glooming Shroud +1 (neck) to his equipment.

Squints on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Nice. I will add that stuff this evening when I'm at my computer.

Lord Palington on
    SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    SwordstoneSwordstone Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hey. I've just got the one submission. Eison Tal'reth, human cleric
    Douven Staul was one of the last known men to have any contact with the Paladin Liza. A few months ago, Eison was able to strike up a bargain with the man. In exchange for Eison's services as a healer (and surprisingly competent warrior,) Mr. Staul would use the resources at his command to help track Liza down. Until his wife is found, Eison has been doing what he can to make enough money for the burial ritual he believes will bring Liza peace.
    Eison never was the sharpest spoon in the- I mean he's few feathers short of a circus- No, wait. What was that phrase? Oh, nevermind. Eison is slow. But what he lacks in brains, he makes up in heart. Always attentive, Eison never wanted anything more than to make everyone happy. That was, until Liza died.

Six years ago, Eison married a paladin adventurer named Liza. Liza was charming, quick-witted, and beautiful. Together, she and Eison lived happily in the quaint village of Grey Elm. When raiders attacked a nearby settlement, however, Liza's wanderlust overtook her and she abandoned Eison and Grey Elm in search of vengeance. Heartbroken, Eison dutifully followed after his wife, but never found anything more than a trace of her passing. Eventually, the raiders were defeated, but Liza never returned home. Her quest for justice led her around the world, constantly two steps ahead of her determined husband. According to a common rumor, Liza ultimately met her demise at the hand of a terrible demon, but her soul lingers on, hungering to quell the world of its evils.

Eison's devotion has earned him divine powers. His undying love for his wife created a sacred bond that persists, even in death. With Liza's passing, Eison is left with the responsibility of laying her soul to rest. But before he can do that, he must find her body and give her a proper burial.

Swordstone on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    The Tiefling before you makes a sweeping, and what might be described as overly dramatic, bow.
    "Thank you Mr. Staul. I will never forget your kindness this day."

(Awesome. Character sheet updated. Can't wait for the adventure to start.)

DrDinosaur on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Owein settled down in his bunk. The accommodations weren't what he was used to, certainly, but if it got him what he needed...

He unpacked his bag, hanging up a few inconspicuous charms. A few were tokens of war, supposedly blessed by Kord (though they only seemed to bring him more trouble), most were just there to fool the rubes, keep them away from his stuff.

Now he just had to sit back, wait for the information his clan needed, and try not to get killed in the meantime.

(character sheet updated as well, thanks!)

Lord Palington on
    SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If it's not to late to sign up, I will have a character up before the morning is thru. I just need to post it up, Eladrin Wizard. :)

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    This is the current roster:

Tavaros Kahlir, Tiefling Psion
    Owein, Kenku Rogue/Sorcerer Hybrid
    Quest(? I haven't heard from Mark in over a week, so I dunno if he is still around)

So, MyDcmbr, the party is not really in need of another controller. You could make this Wizard a mage, if you want, since a second striker is viable.

Still need tanks.

Squints on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    How would you feel about either a sorcerer king pact melee warlock or a runepriest? Both are off-tankey. Or are you looking for more of a full blown defender?

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    A Runepriest makes sense. Need a leader, too.

Squints on
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Would you accept a Warpriest (essentials cleric) or do you want Non-essentials only?

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Made a battlemind I've been thinking about for awhile and boosted him up to 4. Not sure if you'll accept Revenants. If so, lemme know and I'll flesh out some background. Figure he escaped from Shadowfell when the necromancer was "killed" etc, etc. :)

http://4e.orokos.com/sheets/3041

Edit: He's missing the Level 3 At Will. I'll massage the file to make Orokos accept it tomorrow.

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    Would you accept a Warpriest (essentials cleric) or do you want Non-essentials only?

Sure, bring it.

skarsol, I can work with Revenant.

Squints on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    There are 2 spots and 3 possibly interested people. Assuming MyDcmbr is still interested. DaMoonRulz, if you make a striker, your chances are doubled of being accepted ;)

Squints on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Skarsol, you can add Curseforged Scale Armor +1 and Ghost Dance Longsword +1 to your equipment. If there was a reason you didn't choose scale armor to begin with, let me know.

Squints on
  • Options
    skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Scale is Heavy. I was sticking with Light to maintain the Dex bonus and Speed.

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Okay, you can have Addergrease Hide Armor +1 instead.

Squints on
  • Options
    PayotPayot Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    What rate of posting are you looking for ? I'm mostly around at night EST.

Payot on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, I can post a little throughout the morning, then mostly in the evening (cst).

Lord Palington on
    SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I'm pretty much on the same schedule as Lord Palington, I can post some in the morning, and a lot more in the afternoon/evening. Only I'm on PST, so I'm an hour or two behind the rest of you guys.

DrDinosaur on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Dwarf Barbarian

Just as a heads up, I've never made a barbarian before and I generally pick things based off of what I like, not what's "best". I'm eastern time zone and most days I can post just about whenever.

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    edited April 2011
    Oh good, someone to flank with that will draw more enemy fire!

Lord Palington on
    SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    At least 1 post a day would be great. Honestly, this is just a starting point adventure... it's about "one level long," if that. So at the end of this we will have a good idea of how we post going forward.

DaMoon, that's a fine build. Resurgent strike becomes very useful in Paragon, when everything likes to daze or weaken. But it's still good for heroic!

Squints on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Well I figured it does a decent amount of damage and at one of the recent encounters I just COULD NOT save against daze, so I figured it'd be useful to have just in case.

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    edited April 2011
    DaMoonRulz, add Bestial Hide Armor +1, Flesh Grinder Execution Axe +1, and Badge of the Berserker +1 (neck) to your equipment.

Squints on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Last call for submissions, although I'm probably taking Swordstone's Cleric.

Squints on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Ok. What do you want my gold to be at?

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    edited April 2011
    Also, since the execution axe is Brutal, what's the best way to roll damage to take that into account?

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    edited April 2011
    I think you should have 1 plat, 20 gp (120 gp).

In Orokos, the roll addition is "r" ex: 1d12r2. If it ends up on 1 or 2, Orokos will re-roll.

Squints on