As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Netbook speakers play (too) when line out is selected?

mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
The title kinda says it all. It's a Toshiba (NB505), with the standard Realtek HD audio device. When I plug something in to the 3.5mm audio output, it asks me whether it's headphones or a line out device.

If I select headphones, the speakers are muted.

If I select line out, they aren't. The audio still goes over the line out, but it plays over both line and headphones.

This is stupid.

Googling just brought up plenty of people with the same problem (on various laptops, and IIRC not just Toshiba), followed by a ton of responses of "make sure it's plugged in all the way" or "your shit is just broken." But since it works with headphones, but not with line, I get the feeling my shit is not just broken, and I can assure you the cable is plugged in all the way.

Any ideas? I got nothing poking around on Toshiba's site as well, though admittedly I didn't have much time to look. Figure somebody here has to have run into this. Hell, if you have a Toshiba NB505 netbook, could you just try it out to see if yours behaves the same?

mcdermott on

• Options
    PirusuPirusu Pierce Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    What operating system? With my wife's HP laptop, what I usually end up doing is going into the audio configuration screen (Windows 7) and disabling the speakers while the line-out goes to the TV. It's a pain in the ass to re-enable the device every time, but it works.

Pirusu on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Pirusu wrote: »
    What operating system? With my wife's HP laptop, what I usually end up doing is going into the audio configuration screen (Windows 7) and disabling the speakers while the line-out goes to the TV. It's a pain in the ass to re-enable the device every time, but it works.

Windows 7 ("Starter"...ugh).

Wierd thing is, it only presents as a single audio interface? Like, in the "Audio Devices" screen of the Control Panel, it shows just the one device ("Speakers" with "Realtek Audio Device" under it).

When I plug in headphones, the same device remains the default (but audio plays only over the headphones).

When I choose line-out instead, same device...but audio plays over both.

Disable the device, and I have no active sound device.`

mcdermott on
  • Options
    finalflight89finalflight89 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Are you sure the line out is actually functioning as a line out? Because it might just be easier to set the netbook volume to max and leave it on headphone output.

Either that, or try uninstalling the Realtek drivers and updating them.

finalflight89 on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I think that's more a Windows thing than the netbook itself. Mine does this fine, but I'm running Linux and ALSA on it rather than the Win 7 it came with.

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2