As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pax Prime Costumes 2011!

• hml151hml151 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    That matters how tight you want your costume to cling and whether you want to wear a helmet, generally.

hml151 on
    Max sig size: 500x80px OR 4 lines of text
    School Girl Goodness...Watch for us at future PAX Prime events. If want some of my geek chic collection, click on the etsy link.

http://s774.photobucket.com/user/SchoolGirlGoodness/library/
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VeronatheMad

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PinkRangerPinkRanger Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    That and price. I just feel if I wear the ninja costume, no one will really recognize me, they might think I'm from like a mortal Kombat game or something like that.

PinkRanger on
    Cosplayer and a gamer.

Find me on twitter- @pink_4ssass1n
    and twitch- twitch.tv/pink_4ssass1n
  • VideoGameStupidVideoGameStupid Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    PinkRanger wrote: »
    That and price. I just feel if I wear the ninja costume, no one will really recognize me, they might think I'm from like a mortal Kombat game or something like that.
    I figure just wear like a Power Rangers headband or crest with the ninja outfit so people will be able to tell you apart from Mileena.

VideoGameStupid on
  • BadonkadonkBadonkadonk Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

I think the crane emblem on the chest will tip people off, and if you don't wear the face mask you won't look like an MK character. There are also people on rangerboard.com who make season 3 Power Coins if you have a Power Morpher (also, reprolabels.com makes screen-accurate labels for the Power Morpher).

I say go for it, I know that I'd be excited to see a Power Ranger.

Badonkadonk on
  • SarahstraszaSarahstrasza Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Mmm dynasty warriors! I've always wanted a DW group. I dont think I can dress up this year though :( we'll see.

Sarahstrasza on
  • BoneriotBoneriot Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Thinking about making my GF the queen's outfit from Fable 3
    (will have to get started sewing in a week or two at this rate XD)
    i was wondering though, for the weapon what's the preferred material given pax's restrictions and allowances?
    i was thinking closed cell camp mat foam over a pvc core carved and covered in latex

Boneriot on
  • arwen_doll16_LOTRarwen_doll16_LOTR Commander Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I got distracted from my white mage robe when I killed the zipper on it so I decided to work on this costume instead and ended up finishing it =)

Aperture Laboratories Employee.

Front (ignore Raynor :P)
    196989_1713286065719_1045176616_31460671_7918921_n.jpg

Back
    197209_1713286305725_1045176616_31460672_811609_n.jpg

Badge
    189416_1713286465729_1045176616_31460673_4909351_n.jpg
    "Enrichment Center Cake Distributor" is the official title of my job

The whole thing has black marks on it to make it look beat up and some red to look like blood like I got hit by a wayward energy pellet or a turret. It is also a dress and not a full lab coat but I thought the dress looked science like enough and would be more fun =)

I also made a clipboard to go with it that has official testing subject volunteer forms, and flyers to give to people about the "Aperture Laboratories Take You Daughter to Work Day" and the "Aperture Laboratories Self Esteem Fund for Girls" they are all dated for the days of PAX.

arwen_doll16_LOTR on
    I should go.
    534159_4247466298641_1660805487_n.jpg
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Well, since I don't want my hide tanned, I'll have to assure the masses that Giovanni will be making a triumphant return to PAX Prime.

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
    edited March 2011
    What is the rule on toy weapons at PAX, like airsoft guns with no rounds.

PinkRanger on
    Cosplayer and a gamer.

• Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited March 2011
    Nothing that has ever had the capability to fire is allowed.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited March 2011
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    Nothing that has ever had the capability to fire is allowed.

Ah yes the age old question that Moe must answer at least 12 more times before PAX >.<

arwen_doll16_LOTR on
    I should go.
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    The rules as posted by Khoo are in the Prime FAQ

zerzhul on
  • HeatherlingHeatherling Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Fiance & roomie have been playing a lot of "League of Legends". I haven't tried it out yet (although I'm sure I'd love it) but I adore looking at the different costumes! I may end up making a LoL costume for PAX :)

Heatherling on
  • DaftCapybaraDaftCapybara Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If I make I think I will be attending as Wesker.

Just gotta find that pesky Black trench coat
    >.>
    <.<
    And Shave

DaftCapybara on
    Pax Prime Badges [X]
    Pax Prime Hotel [X]
    Pax Prime Flight []
  • ploogleploogle Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    This is the first year of several that I won't be going in costume. I previously went as Altair and a Reaper from TWEWY. Now I represent a website and will be going as a member of the press...and costumes don't look good for an interviewer on camera, you know?

ploogle on
    If you can't handle me at my Worcestershire, you don't deserve me at my Bestershire.
  • yabukasigiyabukasigi Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    alright, im going as a Lexcorp hitman, so ill be walking around with a lexcorp security outfit and a superman logo that looks all tornup as if i pulled it off him, plus im thinking of making a 50 cal rifle with some fake kryptonion ammo.

yabukasigi on
  • goddessofkatsgoddessofkats Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    This being my sixth pax I feel I need to up the ante. HarleyQuinn is over done- no thanks to me. Joanna Dark went almost completely unrecognized. Leeloo was a huge hit... but where does a girl go from there?
    This year I have been trying to assemble the power rangers, but no one is as committed as I am, and it's totally falling through the cracks.
    I can't exactly rant to my friends relating to cosplay because most people aren't into it. So thanks for lending a kind ear. I must find some inspiration!
    It's kind of sad, my ultimate frisbee team is going to a tournament as Frisbee Shore and I am more jacked to get tan and fit for a tournament- but I can't motivate any creativity/enthusiasm for this year's PAX!

Stay tuned- I'll be back. <3

goddessofkats on
    Kat ^..^[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • goddessofkatsgoddessofkats Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Ok, so I plan on going to PAX Prime. This will be the first gaming convention I have ever been to. I know that people cosplay, and I was thinking it would be good to try out. I know this is a gaming convention, and I was wondering if I could get some of your guys' opinions.

I play video games on the 360. My gamertag is Pinkranger2die4, Pink ranger cause I am tired of people asking if there is a female in the room, and 2die4 for my clan. Anyways, because that is my GT and I am an avid fan of the power rangers, I was thinking about getting a Pink ranger costume to cosplay in. But I know that it is a gaming convention, so i was wondering what you guys thought on this.

Also, other characters I am considering, are lilth (from borderlands), lara croft, and Zoey (from Left 4 Dead). Zoey, is like my last option because she is really easy to cosplay.

Any input would be great. Thanks.

i'm totally pm'ing you

goddessofkats on
    Kat ^..^[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SarahstraszaSarahstrasza Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So I've been thinkin about it.. curious as to if anyone has anything planned around wow costumes. Be it an NPC or their own character... I think it'd be sweet to get a group together.

Sarahstrasza on
  • GamingGoddessGamingGoddess Profesh Nerd Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Last year I went as Drowned Ophelia from Brutal Legend and Luigi. This year, I'm going to cosplay as a female Ezio :D I'm debating if I should try to attempt to make it and spend a lot of money because I am a perfectionist, or if I should buy it... I'm probably going to end up buying the costume and then add some modifications to it...decisions decisions.

GamingGoddess on
    Time off[x] Fri-Mon Badges[x] Hotel[x] Plane tickets[x] Pre-Pax plans[TBA] Cosplay[in progress]
    "Pictochat? No. Dicktochat!"
    edited April 2011
    So I've been thinkin about it.. curious as to if anyone has anything planned around wow costumes. Be it an NPC or their own character... I think it'd be sweet to get a group together.

I am planning on doing a WoW costume =)
    Problem is I keep changing my mind on what I want to do.

If I do a player then I will do a tier set or a level one version ( either human priest or Draenei shaman).
    If I do an NPC I am deciding between Jaina, or a twilight cultist (complete with doomsday sign on my back and a possible Deathwing plushie).

arwen_doll16_LOTR on
    I should go.
  • DaftCapybaraDaftCapybara Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    My dear, you just made my night. If i had the time to grow the hair, find a jacket and could carry around a guitar. I would be going as Eddie Riggs...Or Mangus >.>

DaftCapybara on
    Pax Prime Badges [X]
    Pax Prime Hotel [X]
    Pax Prime Flight []
    edited April 2011
    So, my Pink ranger ninja outfit came to me today. I asked my family to hold onto it cause I didn't want to have it while I was deployed, but all is good. Here's a picture of most of it. I still gotta sew on the crane on the front, and I wasn't able to put the pants on, but other than that. looks good.
    206325_177281445655666_100001214346955_445707_7726483_n.jpg

PinkRanger on
    Cosplayer and a gamer.

• Jerryn206Jerryn206 Registered User new member
    edited April 2011
    So, my Pink ranger ninja outfit came to me today. I asked my family to hold onto it cause I didn't want to have it while I was deployed, but all is good. Here's a picture of most of it. I still gotta sew on the crane on the front, and I wasn't able to put the pants on, but other than that. looks good.
    206325_177281445655666_100001214346955_445707_7726483_n.jpg

AWESOME! :D Though the bottom portion looks like a cheerleader skirt ;)

This will be my first convention and first time cosplaying. I have a screen accurate MMPR Green Ranger suit being made right now by Aniki and 007Halu from RangerBoard. I'll definitely be pretty stoked to see other power rangers at PAX :D

Jerryn206 on
    edited April 2011
    Jerryn206 wrote: »

This will be my first convention and first time cosplaying. I have a screen accurate MMPR Green Ranger suit being made right now by Aniki and 007Halu from RangerBoard. I'll definitely be pretty stoked to see other power rangers at PAX :D

Yeah, I know. The bottom portion is not quite as acurate. I don't have much money for a costume this year, so that's why I got the ninja outfit. I plan on purchasing the original pink ranger outfit for next year.

PinkRanger on
    Cosplayer and a gamer.

• QuickSnapQuickSnap Professional Beard Grower Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Jerryn206 wrote: »

Yeah, I know. The bottom portion is not quite as acurate. I don't have much money for a costume this year, so that's why I got the ninja outfit. I plan on purchasing the original pink ranger outfit for next year.

I've always been an advocate for more Toku at PAX. I'm looking into getting a Kamen Rider suit for this year but I might have to push it back till next year (Rider Suits can be goddamn expensive as hell).

Also Pink, while I wholly support a nastalga trip down MMPR lane, there are a few other pink ranger suits you might consider as well because, quite frankly, they look fucking badass. In particular Magiranger, Gokaiger, Shinkenger, and Dekaranger all of a some pretty sweet designs. This place has a good write-up on the various pink ranger costumes over the last 35 years and should give you a few ideas.

QuickSnap on
    6rceun58332p.png
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, I know. I am going to get the original MMPR Pink ranger outfit eventually. Just didn't have the money for it this year.

PinkRanger on
    Cosplayer and a gamer.

• Spartan LongShot-XSpartan LongShot-X Registered User new member
    edited April 2011
    I'm going as a Spartan from Halo!
    Who else is going in a halo outfit?

Spartan LongShot-X on
  • CommanderTonyCommanderTony Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Heh, we talked earlier on Facebook about this.

As for me, i've decided that I might to a Halo 3-era UNSC Naval Officer uniform, save for the stupid magnetic holsters since I don't want to carry around a plastic sidearm all day. Perhaps modeled after a uniform used by Commander Richard Lash in Ghosts of Onyx, the executive officer of the UNSC Dusk.

Either way, costume or casual gaming clothes, i'm going to look damn good. :)

CommanderTony on
    3-Day pass (X) | Travel plans (X) | Hotel room (X) | Enough money...god damnit!
  • Curse-TenCurse-Ten Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hm, seeing as registration is up I might as well post my ideas.

Lynn- Ghost Trick (there are a lot of my friends who want to do Ghost Trick costumes so we may, if everything happens right have a group.)

May- Pokemon, red outfit and my friend wants to do her emerald outfit

Kumatora or Tessie-Mother 3, this is the slot I haven't really decided on, Tessie is fully finished but won't be getting a lot of show time at Sakuracon.

I plan on getting my tickets on my next pay check and start the saving. I have NO time to start anything due to college and the fact that Sakuracon is this week.

Anyways excitement is building! Plus I live in Seattle now!

Curse-Ten on
  • MeanderBotMeanderBot Registered User new member
    edited April 2011
    I'm not really one for cosplaying, but I've been toying around with maybe doing so this year. I fancy myself a photographer, and thought a somewhat easy/sufficiently obscure costume would be to go as the Photo Guy from Earthbound. It'd give me a good excuse to wear a top hat, and to run around taking pictures of people while shouting "Fuzzy pickles!" before quickly vanishing.

MeanderBot on
    edited April 2011
    Ok I give up! I can't decide what to do for my WoW costume. This is what happens when you like too many of your options. Any suggestions?
    And sorry I don't know how to describe them other than in WoW terms so sorry to those who don't play if you have no idea what I am talking about.

My top choices are

*Twilight Cultist with Deathwing Plush (will make plush)
    *Rogue in dungeon set 1 Shadowcraft with warglaives of azzinoth (mostly just an excuse to carry around those sick looking glaives)
    *Shaman tier 10 or Dungeon set 1 Elements
    *Priest in Tier 1 Prophecy

I have listed them in order of what I think is cheapest to make and most expensive to make but with cosplay you never know so it is just a guess.

arwen_doll16_LOTR on
    I should go.
  • SwaeSwae Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    This will be my first PAX and really my first full-fledged con, so I've never dressed up for anything. But, I really, love costumes, so I think I might go in costume for at least one day. I'm not terribly crafty or creative, so I'll probably keep it simple and go as Zoey from L4D. It's not terribly original or sexy, but it will be cute and hopefully somewhat recognizable to folks that played the game.

Swae on
  • SwaeSwae Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

My top choices are

*Twilight Cultist with Deathwing Plush (will make plush)
    *Rogue in dungeon set 1 Shadowcraft with warglaives of azzinoth (mostly just an excuse to carry around those sick looking glaives)
    *Shaman tier 10 or Dungeon set 1 Elements
    *Priest in Tier 1 Prophecy

Personally, I like the Priest in Tier 1, just because that set looked awesome, and it's really recognizable to anyone that played WoW back in the day. But, the other ideas are great too!

Swae on
    edited April 2011
    Swae my best suggestion is to pick something you like and would be comfortable in, especially since this is your fist PAX. We are a lovely community of geeks and will want photos of whatever people dress up as. Enjoy what you wear and see you there.

hml151 on
    School Girl Goodness...Watch for us at future PAX Prime events. If want some of my geek chic collection, click on the etsy link.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PipistrellePipistrelle Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I was the humanoid Companion Cube at last year's PAX, and my husband was a humanoid turret also from Portal. This year we're planning to do human versions of the two robots from the Portal 2 co-op mode.

Pipistrelle on
    edited April 2011
    One of my group members will be back with her companion cube costume, with a few adjustments since last year. We are making it a dead cube, so angel wings and movable blood and scorch marks (wonder of magnets). Hope to see you all.

hml151 on

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ACEhardWEARACEhardWEAR Registered User new member
    edited April 2011
    Okay, my boyfriend and I are doing cosplay for the first time ever at PAX this year and we loved Arkham Asylum, so we chose Scarecrow and Poison Ivy. I know every other girl at conventions seems to be in a Poison Ivy costume, but at least in AA her look is a bit more unique. HOWEVER, we're debating on when to really get going on creating these costumes because Arkham City comes out in October and may have new concepts for Scarecrow and Poison Ivy. But then again, we aren't even sure if those characters are going to be in AC! I think it would be amazing though if the concepts of those two characters came out before PAX and we could go before the game is even released! Not sure- to wait, or not to wait?

ACEhardWEAR on
  • KaptainKhaosKaptainKhaos Registered User new member
    edited April 2011
    Friday - Super Mario
    Saturday - Thor/Other Costume
    Sunday - Proffesor Oak

IT WILL BE A MOST AWESOME WEEKEND!!!!!

KaptainKhaos on
    edited April 2011
    Okay, my boyfriend and I are doing cosplay for the first time ever at PAX this year and we loved Arkham Asylum, so we chose Scarecrow and Poison Ivy. I know every other girl at conventions seems to be in a Poison Ivy costume, but at least in AA her look is a bit more unique. HOWEVER, we're debating on when to really get going on creating these costumes because Arkham City comes out in October and may have new concepts for Scarecrow and Poison Ivy. But then again, we aren't even sure if those characters are going to be in AC! I think it would be amazing though if the concepts of those two characters came out before PAX and we could go before the game is even released! Not sure- to wait, or not to wait?

As for your ultimate question it all depends on how long you think it will take you to create the costumes. If you think you can whip together anything that gets thrown at you then by all means wait. Also keep in mind that often the concept art looks nothing like what actually comes out (Chell's concept art for Portal 2 vs. what it really looks like is a prime example). So that also might come into play when thinking about costumes. Finally I would say that even if you do not make the latest version of the character then remember that people will still know who you are (might even know you better since a lot of people might not be paying attention to the new info releases).

To the Portal People
    I <3 you guys
    I am going on one day (not Saturday) as an Aperture Laboratories Scientist (Enrichment Center Cake Distributor) and will be carrying around Cake and a Companion Cube
    We should think about getting together for pictures and coordinate when we are all going to be in our costumes on the same day

arwen_doll16_LOTR on
    I should go.