As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A second follow-up call for a job?

LuxLux Registered User regular
edited April 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I applied to this job that I really want. The company has a website that shows the status of the job. The week after I applied, it went from "Accepting Applications" to "In Progress."

I call the next day, find out the hiring manager, and find out that she's out of town.

I call when she's back in town, find out she's in meetings all day, and so I leave my name and number and just the general impression that I'm following up and very interested.

That was over two weeks ago. Still it is listed as "In Progress" and I haven't heard anything. Is now an appropriate time to follow-up again, to ask about the status of the job, or am I just getting on the hiring manager's nerves at this point? Are second follow-ups even appropriate? Am I just impatient?

Lux on

• TaterskinTaterskin Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I don't think it would be bad to try and contact them again. Annoy them until they tell you to piss off, I say.

Taterskin on
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Taterskin wrote: »
    I don't think it would be bad to try and contact them again. Annoy them until they tell you to piss off, I say.

This is not something you should ever, ever do.

Give 'em one more call though. After that, I'd wait to hear from them.

Esh on
  • SneakertSneakert Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    As a rule I call once every week.

Sneakert on
  • FantasmaFantasma Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    People could get sick of you, you shouldn't harass them.

Fantasma on
    Hear my warnings, unbelievers. We have raised altars in this land so that we may sacrifice you to our gods. There is no hope in opposing the inevitable. Put down your arms, unbelievers, and bow before the forces of Chaos!
  • TaterskinTaterskin Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Esh wrote: »
    Taterskin wrote: »

This is not something you should ever, ever do.

Give 'em one more call though. After that, I'd wait to hear from them.

While my choice of wording might be unwise, there is nothing wrong with politely contacting a potential employer until they tell you the job is filled or whatnot. Once every week or two sounds like an good amount of time.

Taterskin on
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    You left a message, if they wanted to talk to you they would have called you back. Consistent calling is obnoxious, maybe call once more and then leave it be before you become that guy and they push your resume into the bin. And while you contacted the hiring manager, she may have fuck all to do with hiring until HR sends her the top candidates in which case you're calling the wrong person entirely. And I'd double check the posting to make sure it doesn't have a "please, no calls about this position" line since many now do.

VisionOfClarity on
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If you haven't actually been interviewed, there's a pretty good chance the hiring manager hasn't even seen your resume and she has no idea who the fuck you are. You shouldn't call her unless it's listed on the req, you've been handed a business card, or she sent you an email with her phone number on it.

Deebaser on
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Deebaser wrote: »
    If you haven't actually been interviewed, there's a pretty good chance the hiring manager hasn't even seen your resume and she has no idea who the fuck you are. You shouldn't call her unless it's listed on the req, you've been handed a business card, or she sent you an email with her phone number on it.

I just reread the OP and noticed he hadn't even been interviewed yet.

Stop calling them.

Esh on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    What you can do is call in and see if they've gotten your resume. Don't call more than once until you get an interview.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Bowen's got it.

i applied for a job through monster and thank god i called because Monster sent them my Pre graduation resume, where i was a Junior in College. obviously, they were not going to consider me, and my call straightened that right out. If you are going to call, pre-interview, don't go above HR.

The hiring process takes a looong time, especially for an entry level position.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It can't help you to keep calling them, assuming they have all your materials. Another call probably won't hurt either, but you never want to take a chance on irritating somebody if you don't have a good reason.

Particularly if this is a large company, "in progress" probably means all the applications have been piled up in some manager's inbox and they're waiting to be evaluated. That might take days or weeks; there's no way to know really. There won't be any new information to give you until that process is done, and at that point, they'll call you.

Or they won't. Either way though, there's nothing to gain by bugging them.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Alright, thanks guys. I was really leaning towards calling again, but I think I'm convinced that the safer option is to let whatever happens happen.

Lux on
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If you'd like this job, the better use of time would be to find someone/who knows someone in that company.

Knowing the hiring manager is a good step, since that's usually not disclosed often. Have any contacts within the company, or know anyone who does?

MichaelLC on
  • darqnessdarqness KCMORegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I would say it doesn't hurt to keep calling back until you actually reach the hiring manager. Once you actually get in contact with the hiring manager to check on the status of the job, you shouldn't call back.

darqness on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    darqness wrote: »
    I would say it doesn't hurt to keep calling back until you actually reach the hiring manager. Once you actually get in contact with the hiring manager to check on the status of the job, you shouldn't call back.

This is likely to annoy someone enough that they'll bitch to the hiring manager about you. Email is preferable at that point. That way you at least know they'll see it.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me