As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Kingdom of [chat]

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited April 2011
    Will, that is a lame situation. Good luck.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I just posted a year's worth of location data willingly on the internet. Probably because it doesn't say anything that I haven't already told y'all. Also, it doesn't have the time component in image form.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • GalahadGalahad Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hm, maybe not. Reviewers are saying that the narrator reading through the many tables in the book gets kind of mind numbing. Mayhap I'll look for it at the library instead.

Galahad on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    what I would do is call them names and hope one of them tries to hit me

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Winky wrote: »
    Okay guys, please advise:

There's a bunch of anti-abortion people set up at walkway crossings throughout my campus today. Normally I wouldn't mind as a lot of annoying people tend to stand in those areas yelling about whatever cause they're trying to promote, but these guys have big posters with shock images of aborted fetuses everywhere. It's frankly completely tasteless and offensive.

It really pissed me off, so I'm considering going to and trolling them.

Here's what I was thinking:
    Write "FREE ABORTIONS" on a big poster and then go stand near them with a hanger. (Y/N)

Other suggestions are welcome.

That's dangerous, Winky. Who knows how mentally unstable this group can be.

urahonky on
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Gooey wrote: »

There's a bunch of anti-abortion people set up at walkway crossings throughout my campus today. Normally I wouldn't mind as a lot of annoying people tend to stand in those areas yelling about whatever cause they're trying to promote, but these guys have big posters with shock images of aborted fetuses everywhere. It's frankly completely tasteless and offensive.

Write "FREE ABORTIONS" on a big poster and then go stand near them with a hanger. (Y/N)

N.

Trolling them legitimizes them.

Yeah but making fun of them makes them the butt of a joke! And no one wants to be that!

edit: Stephen Colbert does it to people all the time.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

If you are actually offended due to the shock images, e-mail the appropriate people at your university, ccing it to your tutor, head of department and members of the Executive and possibly the Student Union if they have any power, making clear that you are offended because of the images, not that you're denying their right to free speech or whatever. Trolling them really isn't going to achieve anything.

BobCesca on
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Actually I bet there are peoPle whose servants all wear whatever random uniform. It just seems implausible to me because wealth is alien to me.

desc on
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    feral rocks

tyrannus on
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

N.

This isn't a little thing, it's a big organized effort. The posters look professionally made. As it is, their damage has already been done. Luckily I saw a lot of students walking away angry and laughing out loud at the posters. What I want to do is make them look as ridiculous as possible.

Winky on
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

These people were at my undergrad every year. We called them the McDonald's Abortion people. We basically ignored them because any attention given was basically legitimizing them.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

N.

This isn't a little thing, it's a big organized effort. The posters look professionally made. As it is, their damage has already been done. Luckily I saw a lot of students walking away angry and laughing out loud at the posters. What I want to do is make them look as ridiculous as possible.

Do what Bob suggested.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Listen being responsible is no reason to hold up hilarity. I'm disappointed in you guys.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If I had the income, I'd definitely pay to have servants with a mandatory uniform.

Silas Brown on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    Feral wrote: »
    Every time I fight in a dream it's always in slow motion. It really pisses me off. I never have a cool anime fight in a dream.

I hate it when you swing a punch in a dream and it's hells of wimpy when it connects and does no damage at all.

That reminds me of a dream I had the other night.

Not long after I got married an ex basically flat out propositioned me because, according to her, she and her husband hadn't made it since they conceived their child. Who is four.

So in my dream I dreamt that I, I guess, took her up on her proposition and when I opened the door to... somewhere her husband comes flying out of no where and beats me up because every punch I throw at him just slides right off his face.

Sheep on
    edited April 2011
    what does that mean

legitimizing them

they are being seen be many many people whether you 'legitimize them' or not...

Variable on
    edited April 2011
    Bob has the best advice if you feel something must be done.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Will I've been there. Most likely you're fucked.

Thomamelas on
    edited April 2011
    I should probably think about packing for the weekend. Instead I am listening to Guards! Guards! On iPlayer.

Edit:Will, that sounds like a bit of a shitty situation re the cleaning. Hope it gets sorted.

BobCesca on
    edited April 2011
    Mazzyx wrote: »

I mean, I'm not interested in making them go away. They'll be gone by tomorrow I'm sure, there's no way they could get away with it two days in a row.

I just want to make them as angry as I am :P.

Winky on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    desc wrote: »
    Elldren wrote: »
    If the thought of buying extra family members who do stuff around the house doesn't excite you, I don't really know.

Having a house servant excites me, but probably for slightly different reasons. :winky:

I don't think they actually wear the black shirts with white lace or anything, feral.

They certainly wouldn't be wearing that in my house.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited April 2011
    jacobkosh wrote: »

yeah it's lame

last time i brought it up she was like "look you're home all day you should be doing this stuff what else are you spending your time doing?"

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited April 2011
    First of all the fact that you are even angry at all means you lost. Secondly. When you go stand outside with your sign make sure to bring a camera along.

For evidence!

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    edited April 2011
    Variable wrote: »
    what does that mean

legitimizing them

By lashing out it feeds their thought process they are fighting the "right" fight. People see their stuff but if you ignore them their message makes no effect.

Its like the preacher who came every year to my college and did hellfire and brimstone sermons because people would screen at him and make him feel like he was doing something.

Though really classic hellfire and brimstones are something to be heard.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If the thought of buying extra family members who do stuff around the house doesn't excite you, I don't really know.

Having a house servant excites me, but probably for slightly different reasons. :winky:

I don't think they actually wear the black shirts with white lace or anything, feral.

They certainly wouldn't be wearing anything in my house.

It is telling that this is how I read it initially.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Can you find a sign large enough to legibly write "I HAVE A MORE NUANCED AND SOPHISTICATED OPINION REGARDING THIS INCREDIBLY COMPLEX EMOTIONAL, POLITICAL, SOCIAL, ECONOMIC, AND MORAL ISSUE THAN YOU DO." on it?

Lawndart on
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Personally, I think that anti-abortion people using shock images are already doing the maximum amount they can to discourage people from joining their movement.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
    edited April 2011

I mean, I'm not interested in making them go away. They'll be gone by tomorrow I'm sure, there's no way they could get away with it two days in a row.

In that case I really do think your best course of action is to ignore them. It's not going to really accomplish anything if you piss them off.

BobCesca on
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Irond Will wrote: »
    jacobkosh wrote: »

yeah it's lame

last time i brought it up she was like "look you're home all day you should be doing this stuff what else are you spending your time doing?"

Damn, Will D:

Silas Brown on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Here's a question to those that weren't very fortunate when they were children: Do you collect things? I have a hard time selling stuff that I own... CDs are bad, but games are really worse. I've started to break that habit so I could get some cash to buy a 3DS or something with it.... But it took about 4 years of my wife talking to me about it for it to finally sink in.

urahonky on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited April 2011
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Will I've been there. Most likely you're fucked.

it's a pain. she kept an immaculate house and saved a lot of money while i was in greenland, i guess since she had to take care of herself. i guess she is one of those people who kind of instinctively steps up only when it's absolutely necessary.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited April 2011

If its the ones I am thinking of, they will be there all week Winky. They get permission and a permit from the college before setting up.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
    edited April 2011
    what does that mean

legitimizing them

By lashing out it feeds their thought process they are fighting the "right" fight. People see their stuff but if you ignore them their message makes no effect.

Its like the preacher who came every year to my college and did hellfire and brimstone sermons because people would screen at him and make him feel like he was doing something.

so you think they don't already believe really strongly in what they're doing?

I'd say they believe it as absolutely as possible

Variable on
    edited April 2011

They certainly wouldn't be wearing that in my house.

you are in your thirties, right feral?

how do you manage the kind of libido that is required to be constantly thinking about this kind of thing?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited April 2011
    what does that mean

legitimizing them

I'm not going to argue with them, I'm going to troll them.

Like I said, stand next to them with a "FREE ABORTIONS" poster.

Or I could go another way and stand next to them with just completely ridiculous claims that "agree" with them. Like "Jesus Christ was a fetus once. Do YOU want to prevent the Second Coming?"

Winky on
  • mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Why do people use apostrophes for plurals? I really don't understand at all.

mrflippy on
  • HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Lawndart wrote: »

Can you find a sign large enough to legibly write "I HAVE A MORE NUANCED AND SOPHISTICATED OPINION REGARDING THIS INCREDIBLY COMPLEX EMOTIONAL, POLITICAL, SOCIAL, ECONOMIC, AND MORAL ISSUE THAN YOU DO." on it?

I like this one.

HerrCron on
    sig.gif
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It is telling that this is how I read it initially.

Not an entirely inaccurate reading. :)

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    edited April 2011
    urahonky wrote: »
    Here's a question to those that weren't very fortunate when they were children: Do you collect things? I have a hard time selling stuff that I own... CDs are bad, but games are really worse. I've started to break that habit so I could get some cash to buy a 3DS or something with it.... But it took about 4 years of my wife talking to me about it for it to finally sink in.

I wasn't poor, but if aim able, I am like this. I have literally cried every time we moved house and my stuff has either been thrown away (my parents used to do this when I was younger) or I've been told I have to clear space.

BobCesca on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    urahonky wrote: »

That's dangerous, Winky. Who knows how mentally unstable this group can be.

Yeah. Once you're born then the price tag on life is zero for them. Some have no problem with murder.

Sheep on
This discussion has been closed.