As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

school is for pretentious assholes

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Whoo! Nine more pages to write!

I'm wondering if a quick shower will help wake me up a bit before continuing with this paper. I think if I can at least get to page ten I can let myself take a nap before work. But...Blargh.

Sassori on
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I kind of wish I drank but I never got over liquor tasting so bitter so I just silently fume and sleep.

Perhaps I should load up on summer sessions so maybe I can get everything over with a little quicker, and then putz around how I would like.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    this week I went from having nothing to do over my one week holiday to having a programming assignment to write and a poster describing my physics experiment to make

rglhjgrh

at least i got really good data

L|ama on
  • Options
    babyeatingjesusbabyeatingjesus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    God I had a long day yesterday. I bombed my physics final last week and was lucky to pull off a C. The. I found out that class requires a C+ for my degree, so I ran around between the science and physics departments getting the signatures I need for them to lower the requirement to a C for me, and allow me in to the honors program if and only if I average a B next year.

During that process I found out my Tuesday's and Thursday's will start at 8:30 with theoretical physics and end at 10:00 pm with observational astronomy. That will carry through both semesters. Yikes.

babyeatingjesus on
    hitthatcheeseburgerfatty.gif
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    that

fucking sucks

worst ive had is 9am starts and 9pm finishes, today I worked straight through from 9am to 6pm with one break for lunch to eat a pie then got home, had tea, and fell asleep for an hour on the couch

now its 1am and im writing up my maths assignment

gosh it would be nice to be fucking finished with work when i leave campus

L|ama on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    My best recently was 14:30 hours, 1pm to 4:30am on one break

Boss told me to sign off with a 5am because he said I worked well

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It's supposed to hit 90 today. Think I'm gonna skip my last class and head to the lake. I'll take along the book I'm supposed to read for Latin American geography and that makes it responsible, right?

Well, maybe not, but I'm gonna do it anyway, haha.

MadEddy on
    ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I really hope I'm happy at UMass because transferring sounds like kind of mess I don't want to deal with.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I think enjoying school would have more to do with whether or not you enjoy your major

though I guess america has a much more "move away from everything" culture

Kinda wish I did

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    VoproSTEINVoproSTEIN howdyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So I got accepted to UT. The problem is, I didn't get into my first choice of school.

What should I do? I'm transferring 2 years of credits, so I have all the basic courses I need. Should I go and try to switch schools while there? Or just not go and reapply to the first school again?

VoproSTEIN on
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    what was the first school you applied to? (curious)

also, congratulations on UT, regardless if you wanted to go there or not

no idea about transfer.

in other news, finished my powerpoint for my presentation, all of 7 slides. short and sweet. teacher says she cuts us off after five minutes, we'll see if i even last two minutes. i hate speaking in front of class.

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    VoproSTEINVoproSTEIN howdyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Wanted to get to the school of Communications for Radio-TV-Film. Instead I'm school of Liberal Arts, undeclared.

And thanks, UT is gonna rock if I go. :D

VoproSTEIN on
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

no idea about transfer.

in other news, finished my powerpoint for my presentation, all of 7 slides. short and sweet. teacher says she cuts us off after five minutes, we'll see if i even last two minutes. i hate speaking in front of class.

Are you afraid your vagina will embarrass you or something.

I'm mocking your manhood you see, because speaking in front of people is no big deal especially if you're a tough Texas tiger like yourself.

Hunter on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hunter wrote: »

no idea about transfer.

I'm mocking your manhood you see, because speaking in front of people is no big deal especially if you're a tough Texas tiger like yourself.

He probably gets all weepy and emotional when talking about his subject, like a woman.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    TheStig wrote: »

no idea about transfer.

He probably gets all weepy and emotional when talking about his subject, like a woman.

Stig. Come here so I can smack you like a girl.

With my fist.

Sassori on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Using your fists, like a woman.

TheStig on
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Sassori wrote: »
    TheStig wrote: »

no idea about transfer.

Stig. Come here so I can smack you like a girl.

With my fist.

That's not how girls smack at all!

Peccavi on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Also I haven't started my paper yet, save it for later!

TheStig on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I have about four and a half more pages to go on this one that's due at 6:00 and at least ten pages on the one that is due tomorrow.

I plan on working on the second paper during class tonight where I turn the first one in.

Sassori on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Godspeed, Sass.

I have one of my astro tests today. Let's see if my astounding streak of luck continues. Seriously, I shouldn't be getting an A in this class.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Dubh wrote: »
    Godspeed, Sass.

I have one of my astro tests today. Let's see if my astounding streak of luck continues. Seriously, I shouldn't be getting an A in this class.

Thanks Dubh.

My eyes burn like the sun. The paaaaaain

Sassori on
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So to get a B in Calculus and Physics I just need to get around a 100% on the final. Seems reasonable, now will I devote the next 2 weeks solely to studying and not internet (probably not).

Coinage on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Aw dang. I got an 80% on my eastern humanities test when I thought I nailed it.

TheStig on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Sassori wrote: »
    Dubh wrote: »
    Godspeed, Sass.

Thanks Dubh.

My eyes burn like the sun. The paaaaaain

Are you Cyclops? Might need some special sunglasses unless you want your work consumed by eye lasers.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I am pretty scared, I finally narrowed my second major down to either math or physics, but the school I want to go to for Mus. Ed. (OSU) has an insanely competitive engineering department, which means physics and math are going to be super competitive as well.

HellaJeff on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    you've decided this ahead of time?

huh

you'll prolly change your mind in a year anyway don't worry about it

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    you've decided this ahead of time?

huh

you'll prolly change your mind in a year anyway don't worry about it

I have been spending this year figuring it out actually! this is my 3rd term at CC

HellaJeff on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    oh cool

i like math and physics

do.... do physics unless its applied math because i think regular math is confusing

phyiscs + music ACOUSTICS

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Yes sir, however that is typically a masters program!

I want to focus on my music stuff, conducting choirs is my dream job.

Physics is like a backup plan that I actually find interesting

HellaJeff on
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So has anyone here done summer sessions prior to the start of the fall academic year?

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I've done one summer session, but it was my last quarter of college...

skettios on
  • Options
    T. J. Nutty Nub T. J. Nutty Nub Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    HellaJeff wrote: »
    I am pretty scared, I finally narrowed my second major down to either math or physics, but the school I want to go to for Mus. Ed. (OSU) has an insanely competitive engineering department, which means physics and math are going to be super competitive as well.

Thats not necessarily true at all. At Cincinnati, Engineering is super competitive(at least the first year) and the math and physics departments aren't really that competitive

T. J. Nutty Nub on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    skettios wrote: »

I would really like a free summer, I haven't had one in 6 years, (6 years of non-stop schooling) but maybe I can knock-out the gen-eds out of the way faster.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    second-last exam done, and I am confident

I hate when a thing I spent a disproportionate amount of time studying ends up a multiple choice question, though

I know goddamn near everything about chinampas, man, let me fucking tell you about chinampas

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

I would really like a free summer, I haven't had one in 6 years, (6 years of non-stop schooling) but maybe I can knock-out the gen-eds out of the way faster.

Didn't you get summer vacation? Or were you taking stuff then too?

Because most folks aren't used to doing stuff during summer vacation, it was pretty common for a student to get burned out around winter/spring if they had taken a summer quarter. Some people were just fine though!

And if I remember right, you typically get a short break before the fall classes start up.

skettios on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    i did not make good uses of my summers with doing cool internships and things or taking classes

i bummed around

but i like bumming around i just wish i hadn't in hindsight

summer after senior year was good though because i had my job starting end of august and i graduated in may sooo wheeee

i'm looking into programs right now btw

stuff like this:
    http://math.nyu.edu/degree/ms/scicomputing.html
    and
    http://icme.stanford.edu/

i like those!

does anyone else know of similar masters programs?

also

was also contemplating CS masters but... like, even though a lot of them say no prior CS experience required (though some require some) and if you don't have it you need to take classes... could i actually get into a good program without a big CS background? wish i hadnt stopped the CS before i did all that C/C++ stuff but.... the teacher was bad and i was lazy!

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Didn't you get summer vacation? Or were you taking stuff then too?

Because most folks aren't used to doing stuff during summer vacation, it was pretty common for a student to get burned out around winter/spring if they had taken a summer quarter. Some people were just fine though!

And if I remember right, you typically get a short break before the fall classes start up.

Each Summer I have been taking classes. That is why I leave school so early my Senior year. There isn't anything else for me to do; I've completed all of my requirements and then some. I'm way over credits needed to graduate.

I am not thinking I will enjoy it, but if I am not busy I will just get anxious and I'm used to being the good student; in this case it makes things go faster and I think that would be a good thing. I hate waiting.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    What no take your vacation Muse

Find yourself

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I haven't had a vacation in years I don't even know what I would do. If it is anything like Spring or Winter break I will be stuck at home. In that event, I spend hours pacing around the house, not knowing what else to do with myself.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    HellaJeff wrote: »

Thats not necessarily true at all. At Cincinnati, Engineering is super competitive(at least the first year) and the math and physics departments aren't really that competitive

This would be a great relief!

HellaJeff on
This discussion has been closed.