As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MOTW 4/20/11: The Crayola Cavalry has arrived!

TexiKenTexiKen Dammit!That fish really got me!Registered User regular
edited April 2011 in Graphic Violence
GL #65 and GLC #59, still good so far:

greenlantern65a.jpg

greenlantern65c.jpg

John originally wanted Orange but Hal talked him out of it, and Ganthet chews them out for such a stupid idea.

Oh, and Mogo has been corrupted too, and he shows up at Oa, boom goes the dynamite.

Thunderbolts #156, that's how you do the first part of a recruitment issue, and for all you nazis hating on Karla you best be dissing Satana the way she acts snip snip snap:

thunderbolts156a.jpg

thunderbolts156b.jpg

thunderbolts156c.jpg

And it looks like Boomerang, Shocker, Centurius, Mr. Hyde, and Troll are going to be on the Underbolts so far (I hope they put Blizzard and Black Mamba back on the team, they were good characters back in the Nicieza days.

And Avengers #12,
Thanos was a trick by Strange, Iron Man sends Hood back to jail and disperses the gems, and Steve now has an Infinity Gem with the Illuminati so they can't possibly be evil nazi fascists anymore, right?

TexiKen on

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Man, one of them should've taken a violet ring.
    Probably Kyle, since he ends up super-charging the people they're trying to fight.

But I guess fear of thongs take precedence over sound thinking!

Also, as Wolverine's friends try to purge a demonic presence from his mind, they get some disturbing glimpses into his psyche.
    9izpm8.jpg

e1fcx2.jpg

There's also a fun cameo by Nightcrawler.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Ack, they're acknowledging the Squirrel Girl thing, that's just creepy.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I told you bitches about Avenger. I told you.

Also I liked the climax as it is much more interesting than "and the good guys won the end". Some good story potential.

Bolts was really good as said. Invincible Iron Man was great but shouldn't have been labeled a FI tie-in. Nothing ZFI happens until the last few pages.

I am really, really torn on Iron Man 2.0. It was literally an all-dialogue issue. No fight scenes, no action just transcriptions. On one hand the dialogue was really well written, on the other hand it was 22 Pages of talking heads with no War Machine in the whole issue.

Everyone everywhere needs to buy Super Dinosaur. It is just pure 100% uncut fun comics injected into your veins. A T-Rex who plays Xbox and loves to eat pie fights a group of Dinosaurman terrorists (with names like Breakeasaurus, Terrordactyl and Tricerachops) with his 10 year old genius best friend. I'll post a few pages later tonight.

Oh and Hulk was good as always. Fortean is a fantastic antagonist and Rulk v. Tornado was really cool.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Ditto'ing the Thunderbolts love. I think what's most impressive to me, is that Parker understands how to show, not tell, when it comes to the personalities of his cast. Moonstone shows she can still psychoanalyze people, when she quickly determines who's going to wash out of the Underbolts. Cage is still a no-bullshit kind of guy, who knows when Ghost is tapping his phone. Fixer's quietly seething in the background, and seems all geared up for a betrayal. Songbird comes off as a really competent and self-assured leader, even in the face of giant monster-man.

The whole book is, to me, exactly what a superhero team book should be. Crazy adventures, and a group of disparate personalities that clash and congeal in interesting ways.

Super Dinosaur #1 was also a ton of fun. For me, it's basically a Saturday morning cartoon, from that era where all cartoons were really just advertisements for toys, in comic book form.

My shop had some copies of Witch Doctor, which wasn't on the shipping list. I guess it was free, since it's not barcoded. Anyhow, it looks to be a little promotional comic for the upcoming Image series, and I have to say, it was pretty good. With a protagonist best described as Dr. Strange meets House, the issue focused on the titular Witch Doctor attempting to excise a vampiric parasitoid from its human host.

I think this best sums up the general feel of the book:
    rje64i.jpg

2i0yo2s.jpg

I also bought X-Factor, which was alright, but really spun its wheels a bit. Peter David's new villains are also rather annoying, in how super-prepared they are for everything.

Hulk: Scorched Earth, by Parker and Hardmann, also came in the mail today. I've only read the first two chapters/issues, but damn that's some good stuff. I actually find myself really enjoying the A-Bomb/Rick Jones back-ups, too. It's nice to see a character who's just really stoked to have superpowers, even if it means looking like a big monster.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    One of my favorite moments in Thunderbolts was Abe and Shocker's interview. Still got that Spidey grudge.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Robos, what's Wolverine thing in?

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    Robos, what's Wolverine thing in?

It's in Wolverine #8, which is his main book.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Ahh, neat. I'll have to catch up on Aaron's Wolverine. Not to mention he has Guedes and Acuna on art so far, and I love both of those dudes to pieces.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, Aaron does a good job with characters like Wolverine and Ghost Rider, largely because he plays them like superhuman horror movie protagonists rather than standard superheroes. Weapon X was a great series, and I'm glad it lives on as the main series now.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Super Dinosaur was a good read, but the kid is a bit of an ass and the underlying plot we get at the end seems a bit forced. I would rather it be more about Super Dinosaur, who is just a delightful reptile:

superdinosaur1b.jpg

superdinosaur1c.jpg

hopefully we get more SD in the FCBD issue.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hulk was great, but man this book is getting really dark.

And the fact that the A-bomb backups have ended make me sad

MastaP on
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Nice to see someone turning the tables on Moonstone like that. The fact that it was another hot chick was a bonus.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    One of my favorite moments in Thunderbolts was Abe and Shocker's interview. Still got that Spidey grudge.
    Yeah, I liked that. It's the kind of thing you don't think about, but makes sense. I mean, if I got the crap kicked out of me, several times no less, by some dude that made fun of me the whole time, I'd probably still be a bit sore over it.

Plus, it's a nice reminder that even when you're rehabilitated by the Thunderbolts, that doesn't mean you might not still be kind of a dick.

Munch on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Satana is wonderful. I still hate Karla, though.
    (Wolverine scans)
    There's also a fun cameo by Nightcrawler.

Was it ... You know which room? :winky:

I told you bitches about Avenger. I told you.
    Next we can predict that water will, indeed, be wet.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Man there were a few dudes freaking out that it was actually Thanos.

I have a right to gloat.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I reserved my opinion on that until I read how it pans out

Wouldn't be cool to hammer it until it was finished.

Solar on
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Invincible Iron Man was great

What did you like about it?
    but shouldn't have been labeled a FI tie-in. Nothing ZFI happens until the last few pages.

Haha, yeah, its was literally a Red Skies thing.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    i ain't got time for a tv tropes link, you jerk.

I got things to do today.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Invincible Iron Man was great

What did you like about it?
    but shouldn't have been labeled a FI tie-in. Nothing ZFI happens until the last few pages.

Haha, yeah, its was literally a Red Skies thing.
    I really like Tony and Octavius' rivalry. Too often Tony gets away with being the smartest man in the room and its nice to see him get taken down a peg every once in a while.

I really loved the back-up with Howard and Maria despite Chaykin's art.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm Kyle Raynor and I'm stupid HURR DURR!!!

Algertman on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, but Kyle Rayner's pretty dope.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Rayner is my Green Lantern of choice

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Htown wrote: »

Red Skies - DC had every book in their line cross over with the original CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS - a good chunk of these crossover issues (marked with a little crossover blurb at the top of the cover) had nothing to do with CRISIS beyond red skies in the background. The More You Know.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

I was wondering how many people I'd get with that.

So, yeah, what jkylefulton said. In IIM, the last page had comet-like things (I'm assuming they're the hammers that the Worthy will wield) streaking through the sky. So, it was literally the same exact thing as Red Skies. I was really amused when I saw that.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Algertman wrote: »
    I'm Kyle Raynor and I'm stupid HURR DURR!!!

Superior to Personality of a block of wood Jordan.

Cade on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    The worst part is that everyone is like "Kyle why the hell did you pick blue, you're not only useless you help the GLs!"

When Hal said "Pick your rings" and actively talked John out of picking orange.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Should have chosen Star Sapphire.

Tairu on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Tairu wrote: »
    Should have chosen Star Sapphire.

But he couldn't have, because of the gay.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Kyle has banged his way across a rainbow of beautiful women/aliens

Dude could totally rock that pink thong

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Gardner should have been a star sapphire instead of a red lantern
    galgardnerwarrior.jpg

Antimatter on
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    gal_gardner_040811.jpg

Ta da.

Cade on
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    My MOTW, I was at the Chinese embassy today getting my visa for a trip next month and I spotted an Acura tent with a SHIELD logo. Walked over and got a badge, checked in with foursquare and won free tickets for IMAX/3D Thor + Thor TMA #1. Pretty sweet after waiting 2+ hours for a visa.

cardboard delusions on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Delduwath wrote: »

I was wondering how many people I'd get with that.

So, yeah, what jkylefulton said. In IIM, the last page had comet-like things (I'm assuming they're the hammers that the Worthy will wield) streaking through the sky. So, it was literally the same exact thing as Red Skies. I was really amused when I saw that.

I lost 3+ hours yesterday you bastard

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Cade wrote: »
    gal_gardner_040811.jpg

Ta da.

The arms are bigger than the waist

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    motw is probably oversized print hardcover SHIELD trade. Going to buy another copy for my cousin, in fact.

Crain art doing nothing but body language, expressive faces and texture in Iron Man 2.0 #4 is a LOT, dude is beast mode. No fight scenes needed.

Interesting how x-force has become the x book. Good art and 80s vibes in #8.

Haven't even had a chance to read Or Stain 6, SHIELD issue infinity, GULA III, or the Jimmy Olsen one shot that I missed. Lotta good stuff this week.

desc on
  • Options
    kfroosterkfrooster Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    SHIELD Infinity was a pretty cool read.

kfrooster on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I bought a copy of Interman volume one by Jeff Parker

so fucking good

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    What is Interman about Anti

regale me, if you will

Solar on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    welp, looks like there's only the one volume

but anyway Interman is an adventure comic about a guy with animal superpowers who goes around doing things for various people for money

he's like Darwin from X-Men, he can adapt himself

he's being tracked down by a variety of people and he's just trying to survive and figure out what the hell's going on

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Sounds promising

Jeff Parker writing is always good

Solar on