As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[SW:TOR] Both Guilds Now Open. Check Top of OP.

• BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    They're also healers.

And damage dealers.

Team Jedi hooooooooooo

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Jedi Knight tank, Jedi DPS (wtf is its name?), Jedi consular ranged dps, jedi consular healer.

Yeah they got all the bases covered.

I'm going to start out as a defense based jedi because I like that style of play. I have a lot of patience and I like being a rock when shit hits the fan. Sometimes in open world I'll grab all the mobs when things go bad and tell everybody to run while activating all my defense stuff. Just so they get a head start.

I remember in EQ2 I would tell my girlfriend to do this and then when she was far enough away feign death. Monks had such great emergency defence skills.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • CorranCorran VARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    App'd to Rigorous under Jinnt.

Corran on
  • SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It occurs to me that the two characters I've been planning to play just happen to be the exact characters I used in two of my KOTOR runs. Surprised I didn't put that together earlier.

SightTDW on
    Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Jedi Knight is a tank capable class. there will not be a shortage of tanks.
    Jedi consular is a healing capable class. There will not be a shortage of healers.

People might play them differently, but at the end of the day people will have levelled a character that CAN function as a tank/healer if they respec it right.

Now if the only viable healing and tanks were not jedi classes that would be unwise. Fortunately they realised this is a bad idea.

Right. If they spec that way. Big "if" there.

Tanks I can see. Jedi get right in to the thick of things, especially in the more recent Star Wars media.

Healers though, I'm not too sure. I don't see the Consular being all that popular to be honest. At least, not as a healer. Who knows, I don't think they've said much about the healing abilities/mechanics in the game. If Consulars end up playings like DoKs from WAR then I could see them being really fun. If they're most efficient as a sit back and heal class... I dunno. I doubt many will roll Jedi with that sort of playstyle in mind.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If you can heal, you're going to heal.

Yeah dog, I went there, I bought the t-shirt, I got extras. Who wants one?

Oh I can already taste the hatred and vitriol. I can taste it. It tastes so good. It tastes like Marmite.

On that note, I wonder how obvious the difference between the Healing and Useless subclasses will be to casual perusal when forming groups. "WTB HEALS 100k CREDITS NO FAKES WE HAVE A PARSER"

You wouldn't think fake healers could be a thing but its hilarious when you encounter them in Rift.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So I reapplied to the Imperial guild, names TheClap. It would have been nice if it notified me that applying to the Republic guild would take me out of the Imperial one.

emp123 on
  • NamonNamon Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Applied to Remarkable Circumference ... I really wanted to do Republic but man that name is too golden to pass up. I did Sith Warrior if that's the one that is a tank.

Namon on
  • Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Fig-D wrote: »
    Jedi consular is a healing capable class. There will not be a shortage of healers.

People might play them differently, but at the end of the day people will have levelled a character that CAN function as a tank/healer if they respec it right.

Now if the only viable healing and tanks were not jedi classes that would be unwise. Fortunately they realised this is a bad idea.

Tanks I can see. Jedi get right in to the thick of things, especially in the more recent Star Wars media.

Healers though, I'm not too sure. I don't see the Consular being all that popular to be honest. At least, not as a healer. Who knows, I don't think they've said much about the healing abilities/mechanics in the game. If Consulars end up playings like DoKs from WAR then I could see them being really fun. If they're most efficient as a sit back and heal class... I dunno. I doubt many will roll Jedi with that sort of playstyle in mind.

Your Consular advanced classes break down to Jedi-Rogue with Melee DPS and Tanking close up and Jedi-Wizard with Ranged DPS and Healing. I think they may be more popular than Knights if they play up the stealth and staff sabers the Shadows get.

Z0re on
  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Basil wrote: »

Oh I can already taste the hatred and vitriol. I can taste it. It tastes so good. It tastes like Marmite.

On that note, I wonder how obvious the difference between the Healing and Useless subclasses will be to casual perusal when forming groups. "WTB HEALS 100k CREDITS NO FAKES WE HAVE A PARSER"

You wouldn't think fake healers could be a thing but its hilarious when you encounter them in Rift.

Hopefully they will have something like dungeon finder for pickup groups and it'll be moot.

Also I don't know why the concern is for healers, they're pretty far from the limiting factor in WOW groups.

Jealous Deva on
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Z0re wrote: »

Your Consular advanced classes break down to Jedi-Rogue with Melee DPS and Tanking close up and Jedi-Wizard with Ranged DPS and Healing. I think they may be more popular than Knights if they play up the stealth and staff sabers the Shadows get.

I don't know how easy or even if it's possible to switch between Advanced Classes though. If I can freely switch between a stealth melee DPS spec and a healing spec then Consular just caught my attention in a very good way.

For me, it depends on how Advanced Classes, specs, and the freedom to switch between those all works.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • TyberiusTyberius Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Not sure if you can apply to multiple guilds, but I app'd for my Trooper and my Sith Warrior.

Tyberius on
  • Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Z0re wrote: »

I don't know how easy or even if it's possible to switch between Advanced Classes though. If I can freely switch between a stealth melee DPS spec and a healing spec then Consular just caught my attention in a very good way.

For me, it depends on how Advanced Classes, specs, and the freedom to switch between those all works.

You won't be able to switch between Advanced Classes at all right now, only trees within the class and the tree shared between both Advanced Classes.

Z0re on
  • PaperFootballPaperFootball Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Applied to Republic guild as Cosmicman.

PaperFootball on
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Basil wrote: »

I imagine if God spoke to mankind on a regular basis, he would sound exactly like Basil.

Old Testament smiting God, not hippy God is nature God.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • NerfThatManNerfThatMan Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    damn, looking at the roster for circumference made me realize i joined that website october 2008.

many moons, young skywalker.

NerfThatMan on
    PSN: corporateshill
  • RabidNerdRabidNerd Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    applied for remarkable circumference. same name as here

RabidNerd on
  • JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

While the Consular really does fit your analogy because the shadow can tank/dps and the sage can heal/dps, the Jedi Knight is not really the same, because as far as we know, the Sentinel is just going to have 2 dps trees then the shared tree. At best they'll be some sort of serviceable offtank, at least based on the information we do(and don't) have.

Joshmvii on
  • AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Joshmvii wrote: »

While the Consular really does fit your analogy because the shadow can tank/dps and the sage can heal/dps, the Jedi Knight is not really the same, because as far as we know, the Sentinel is just going to have 2 dps trees then the shared tree. At best they'll be some sort of serviceable offtank, at least based on the information we do(and don't) have.

They did say that the Guardian spec for Jedi Knight would be getting a DPS tree, the the Sentinel would probably be pure DPS while the Guardian could go Tank/DPS. That's my plan for it, anyway. I figure I'll open with the DPS tree for Guardian, and then when I hit the cap, respec it over to a Tank build.

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid
  • EnderEnder Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'll probably be starting with a Sith Inquisitor, for the ranged dps/control/healing, because I'm addicted to healing hybrids. Still, I'll be making a BH as well, because flamethrowers and rockets.

Nope, no explanation needed. Flamethrowers and rockets, gooses.

Ender on
  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Right now assuming no advanced class respecs, it looks like Jedi Sentinel and the equivalent Sith along with the sniper classes from Smuggler and Agent will be pure dps.

I'm curious as to how many talent points we'll get. If its like wow where you only get one path then the shared trees seem kind of dumb. Maybe it'll be more rift-like in that you can reasonably invest in 2 trees though not quite being able to top out both of them.

Jealous Deva on
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    App'd to Rigorous Scholarship as a Smuggler.

Because Han Solo is the coolest guy, and Wedge Antilles is the next best.

Elvenshae on
  • Mnemon-CorbantisMnemon-Corbantis Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Big "yup" about the "specing that way" part.

IMO Bioware should have used some different terminology for the big, high-level "classes" in this game. because Jedi Knight really isn't a class in a traditional MMO sense. its more like an archetype if anything, or maybe a concentration. your class is really Jedi Knight Sentinel or Jedi Knight Guardian.

This is an important distinction IMO because of an MMO gamers expectations of what "class" means - and a part of that is being able to respec within a class. But in SWTOR that's not the case. You can respec within your advanced class (and it seems both advanced classes will share a tree), but as of now you can never go back to before you made that choice.

So this notion that there'll be an endless selection of tanks available because Jedi Knights/Sith Warriors can tank is wrong IMO. Because if the Jedi Knight doesn't pick Guardian as his advanced class, he'll never be a true tank. And if a Sith Inquisitor doesn't pick Sorcerer, they'll never be a healer.

Mnemon-Corbantis on
    logo.png
    Empire - Veela Server
  • NamonNamon Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    This is one of those examples where i think story is going to get in the way... if you want an abundance of tanks and healers (and remain balanced) you need to allow respecs with them in mind as usually the healing and tanking specs are pretty lack luster out in the normal game. (although my prot pally says differently I'll admit). Oh well as long as I can get my digital sex slave to be my healer, I have no problem playing a tank class (so long as it doesn't take a half hour to down one mob)

Namon on
  • Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I suggest not using the words consular, knight, inquisitor or warrior. People keep asking about the consular. The Q&A even had one askign if the consular could melee dps. Anyone that looked at the AC pages and understood that the starting classes are not classes but archetypes realizes that the consular can't do much of anything. The Sage and Shadow have more defined roles and abilities.

Catastrophe_XXVI on
    PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    I have no idea how you people are already picking your class. I have no idea what I'm going to play as yet.

JustinSane07 on
  • Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I applied to remarkable circumference as an Imperial Agent. Display name is Catadmirer

Edit: As to picking class already. It's not set in stone, it's just the first one I want to try and you can pick one on the guild app. I picked an Agent because they don't have an iconic figure or backstory, so in my mind it will feel more fresh and not a nod to well known characters.

Niceguy Myeye on
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I have no idea how you people are already picking your class. I have no idea what I'm going to play as yet.

Follow your heart.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    edited April 2011

Honestly? It wasn't that hard. Star Wars has simply been a mainstay in my life for about 20 years now, and the Jedi have always been up there for me when it comes to heroes. The first time I saw a Star Wars film, I was 8 and my family had just moved. My older sister and I were unpacking our dad's VHS collection when we came across Return of the Jedi. My sister remembered seeing it years earlier and promptly put it on. We watched that movie every day for about a week. My sister got the rest of the trilogy and we devoured it. That following summer, Timothy Zahn's Heir to the Empire came out. I was hooked for life.

Some little boys look up to Superman or Batman or Spider-Man. I had Luke Skywalker. Choosing to play as a Jedi Knight in TOR was pretty much a given.

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I suggest not using the words consular, knight, inquisitor or warrior. People keep asking about the consular. The Q&A even had one askign if the consular could melee dps. Anyone that looked at the AC pages and understood that the starting classes are not classes but archetypes realizes that the consular can't do much of anything. The Sage and Shadow have more defined roles and abilities.

The can't do anything compared to the advanced classes simply by virtue of having fewer skill trees and points to spend, but I still kind of want to know how the intro classes play out because that will influence the lower level content. And I want to enjoy the lower-level content. I don't want it simply to be the shit I have to slog through before my character is suddenly worth playing.

SammyF on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah I've been a Star Wars fan since I was a kid.

That doesn't mean I know what class is going to be fun to play in TOR.

JustinSane07 on
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

You're missing the point.

We aren't choosing based on how they will play really.

We're going for style.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If the smuggler turns out to suck to play, I'll switch it up. I just marked smuggler because that's the first one I'm going to try out. This isn't the kind of guild where you're going to be under contract to fulfill the role you pick now.

devCharles on
    Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
  • Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Infidel wrote: »

Follow your heart.

Pick the most powerful one. Power is its own reward.

Niceguy Myeye on
    edited April 2011

You're missing the point.

We aren't choosing based on how they will play really.

We're going for style.

Well, emotion in my case, but otherwise, yeah. I really don't care how Jedi Knights play. I just care that I get to play with that old childhood fantasy of mine of being a Jedi.

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    I want to be a jedi but then I realize that probably 50 percent of the players will be jedi, and that is a huge turn off for me. I will likely pick whatever the least played role is. I should clarify, 50 percent will be jedi and then a few more will be the support jedi, whatever the caster is called.

Fizban140 on
  • HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

Use the Force Luke.

Sorry, was too hard to pass up.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • duraxdurax Who watches the watchdogs? Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    I want to be a jedi but then I realize that probably 50 percent of the players will be jedi, and that is a huge turn off for me. I will likely pick whatever the least played role is.
    I'm with you on this.
    Smuggler and Imperial Agent are the least popular right now on the official forums.

We both might need to find new critera though one of the devs said that there was class parity after only a couple of days.

edit: Found the interview referenced
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q7bJsryiuw&feature=player_embedded

durax on
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm rolling an Imperial Agent for a dark side character and either a Knight or Consular for a light side character. I want to try out the ranged combat and see if it's, like, good, and the Agent has potential for a really interesting story that hasn't been told before. Balanced out by a Jedi because I ought to try that part of the game, too.

I might go consular because I enjoy the hybrid healing classes in other games, but I'll be honest: I'm leaning knight right now simply because I really, really like that class's ship.

SammyF on
  • EnderEnder Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    And honestly, while I said Inquisitor as one of my first picks, there's as good of a chance as BH.

Why? Well, I have experience with caster/healer types, so it's an easy go for me.

However, I haven't had the chance to play a dude with a gun and some power armor in a game. Well, I have, but it was Tabula Rasa, and it wasn't as good as I had hoped. The desire to do something different, even though it's still in the metric of ranged dps, is powerful.

So, yeah...to repeat what others said...start with what you want, damn the concept of what's FoTM.

Ender on