As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Looking for a pair of headphones for a gift

JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
So, for my father's birthday, I'm looking at getting him a decent pair of headphones to go with the mp3 player my Mom's getting him. Problem: he would want them to be easily portable (so no clamp-over-ear models), and he detests earbuds, which are the two classes that I have experience with - I'm not fond of press-on-the-ears myself.

So I was wondering what I should be looking for in that style in particular, and looking for recommendations in the $50-ish price range.

Jragghen on

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    When you say he detests earbuds, do you know if he just hates the default iPhone earbuds? Or that style in general?

In-ear headphones look similar but feel very different, and they sound amazing. They actually stuff inside your ear canal instead of just sitting in the, uh, outer... nook or whatever of your ear. The good brands typically come with different size cups so you can get a perfect fit.

wonderpug on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    wonderpug wrote: »
    When you say he detests earbuds, do you know if he just hates the default iPhone earbuds? Or that style in general?

In-ear headphones look similar but feel very different, and they sound amazing. They actually stuff inside your ear canal instead of just sitting in the, uh, outer... nook or whatever of your ear. The good brands typically come with different size cups so you can get a perfect fit.

That style in general. He doesn't like having things "inside" his ears.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I worded it poorly. So he definitely hates things that look like this:

AppleEarBuds1_headphone.jpg

But has he ever tried something that looks like this?

1443003_f260.jpg

The latter actually jams into your ear canal and I think are way more comfortable than the iPod style.

wonderpug on
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    What about a sort of clip-on style? I just picked these up for my iPod and they are pretty great.

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    wonderpug wrote: »
    I worded it poorly. So he definitely hates things that look like this:

[i mg]http://www.onheadphones.com/images/AppleEarBuds1_headphone.jpg[/img]

But has he ever tried something that looks like this?

[i mg]http://s4.hubimg.com/u/1443003_f260.jpg[/img]

The latter actually jams into your ear canal and I think are way more comfortable than the iPod style.

No, I understood what you meant. I'm working with second-hand info (it's still technically a surprise, it's just something my mom knows he wants), but it matches my expectations of him - he's had ones like the latter where they fit in the ear canal before (it's what I use) and he wasn't a fan.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    JWashkeJWashke Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    http://www.amazon.com/Koss-PortaPro-Headphones-with-Case/dp/B00001P4ZH/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1303349632&sr=8-1

Koss PortaPros are pretty good headphones for the price, they fold up for portability, are pretty durable, and sound great. I also don't like the press-on-ear style, but for jogging, when i want to hear the world around me and dont want to lug my sennheisers around I caved in and bought them, and have been pretty satisfied.

JWashke on
    steam_sig.png