As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Disney Princesses

wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
edited May 2011 in Artist's Corner
Random series but I'm bored.

jasmine2.jpg

norest.jpg
Hands are going to be adjusted on poor big hand snow white.

ariel2.jpg

Makin thread cus I'm probably going to make some more.

Belle, sleeping beauty, and Cinderella all kinda look alike so I don't think I will be painting them. Probably mulan next or something.

wakkawa on

• MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I always thought Snow White was long overdue for a sexier image. That plain jane 1950's housewife thing she has going on really doesn't work anymore.

Mustang on
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2011
    If you don't do the black chick from princess and the frog, wakk, I swear.

Pretty sweet so far. Jasmines hair is pretty wonderful.

Iruka on
  • wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I... I haven't seen princess and the frog.

wakkawa on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2011
    that Ariel is wonderful

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Jasmine's face is fantastic, except that it doesn't really make her look like Jasmine at all. More like... Belle, dressed as Jasmine?

More of a personal quibble than an actual criticism, I guess. Everything else looks awesome.

DarkPrimus on
    edited April 2011
    wakkawa wrote: »
    I... I haven't seen princess and the frog.
    I want you to know that I'm frowning at you. I hope you can feel it through the internet.

(I haven't seen it either.)

Iruka on
  • tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I like all of these, but my least favorite is the Snow White, and I think that is mostly because that dress looks very flat and textureless.

I would really love to see that dress come alive! in the Jasmine painting for example, though you've stuck pretty close to the clothing design from Disney, the fabric looks satiny and sheer, something like what you'd expect but it has a little bit of your own spin on it here, too. I think Snow White could use a little more depth and development, something that would make that dress look like satin or brocade?
    I think these would get a lot of visual strength if they were a little more detailed than a painterly rendition of the cartoon character, I guess. Just my opinion of course, but I think if pinup girls is what you're aiming for here, they need to be a little spunkier or something, otherwise you're spending a lot of time on repackaging an existing property.

I really like the murky feel of the Ariel painting-- it is a little more artistic and painterly than the others. I think I would try to make the shell bikini top look a little bit more like real shells or something, it looks like you started to do that on the right hand side.

overall, very nice work and I think you could really take these even further.

tapeslinger on
  • KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I think you're overlooking a huge opportunity to make these girls look different based on their personality and history. Shoomlah has been doing some really amazing ones of historically accurate princesses and it would be rad to see you really do something new with these other than just do really gorgeous paintings of pretty ladies.

MAKE Belle, sleeping beauty, and Cinderella look different. Belle is from the french countryside and she was designed to move/walk like a ballerina. Aurora is also really unique and full of history other than just being some sleeping chick. Even if you just want to go off of the Disney princess, still, "The original character design of Aurora was done by Tom Oreb, who modeled the princess after the elegant, slender features of actress Audrey Hepburn. Aurora's lead animator, Marc Davis worked with Oreb to sharpen her features and clothes so that they would blend with the backgrounds' angular shapes." And don't forget, she is only 16 whereas the other girls are usually late teens - early twenties. Cinderella is also a neat lady.
    Belle-disney-121586_1024_768.jpg

=/=

aurora.jpg

=/=

Cinderella-cinderella-1986978-672-512.jpg

=/=

princess-jasmine.jpg

Kochikens on
    edited April 2011
    I was thinking about doing something like but though... nah I'll just paint Disney Princesses. Cus thats what I wanted to do. If I painted everything people throw at me I would be overwhelmed with work. So I just would hope people take these pictures for what they instead of what they wish they were. At least no one has said "Why didn't you paint the princes hmmm?

It is what it is.

wakkawa on
  • KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I don't think it's what IIIII wish they were (I don't even like the Princesses), I think that you're just missing a huge opportunity to expand your range and really show off what you can do, especially seeing as you have so much awesome rich material to work with.

But okay

Kochikens on
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Why didn't you paint the princes hmmm?

Wassermelone on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I get what Kochi is saying, and I was actually thinking the same thing when I opened this thread. Make them a little more unique/individual, perhaps? I also think Snow White's costume could be fancied up a bit - the cloth isn't really doing much of anything right now...and I feel like the color palette of that one feels a little washed out. I'm really loving the colors for Ariel though - very rich, warm and earthy. Can't wait to see the others, but I do hope you take some of the suggestions regarding the other renditions! :)

NightDragon on
    edited April 2011
    spoiler'd so people don't go on about it.
    I think they look good Wakk. You should know that, at least around here, that generally people aren't just pushing you to draw them stuff*. We want to see your portfolio expand and improve, and see you start hitting some of those goals you have. You are really awesome at painting, no one is going to tell you otherwise. Still you've stated your end game and it seems very contrary to what you seem to be reaching for in practice.

No one here, of course, can stop you from doing whatever the hell you want. I think you can sort the advice from the requests, though.

*My goal of getting you to draw black chicks is a separate point, completely irrelevant to the rest of this post. But I mean come on, Disney princesses and theres a goddamn black one! I had to try.

Iruka on
    edited April 2011
    I see what you guys are saying but I really didn't want to do an interpretation of the princesses. I have seen that done more than people just drawing them normally. I could make them realistic, steampunk, neopunk, victorian, scifi, slutty, goth, or keep the same designs but from my hand.

And about the portfolio pieces. I really just wanted to make a thread where people could look at my art in its own context outside of their preconceptions of me or the rest of my art. I love taking crits like what nightdragon is saying about snow white. I am going to go back and change up a lot on that piece.

Also after I finish Ariel I will do the princess and the frog character next even though I have no idea who she is or what she looks like. Then Mulan, Belle, And the rest.

wakkawa on
    edited April 2011
    Thats fair wakk, I don't mean to frustrate you. Just pushing.

As for crits on the works you've got here. I would perhaps bring Ariel's... uh, thigh-part of her fin forward a bit in space, and create more of an L so it seems like shes resting some more of her weight on the rock.

Iruka on
    edited April 2011
    Rough but workin on it.
    forrr youuuu
    but I think portal 2 just got unlocked so I had to stop of course.
    frog.jpg

wakkawa on
    edited April 2011
    Yeeesssssss. My frown, it is upside-down. <3

Iruka on
  • BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    One little thing I'd like to see is a bit more detail in the materials. Not everyone can be John Singleton Copley, but that type of detail would really pump the works up a whole lot of notches. I'd also suggest going for more extreme proportions, especially on Snow White, both because people used to wear a lot of shape-changing devices and because artists on the day showed a period taste for narrow waists as a sign of beauty, as seen here:
    John_Singleton_Copley_-_Eunice_Dennie_Burr.jpg463px-1729_MrsTyng_byJohnSmibert_MFABoston.jpeg468px-La_Duchess_Elisabetta_Federica_Sofia_de_W%C3%BCrttemberg.jpg487px-Gilbert_Stuart_Mrs_Harrison_Gray_Otis.jpg

Bagginses on
  • AnaduKuneAnaduKune Registered User new member
    edited April 2011
    Wow, these are great! I am curious what medium did you use?

AnaduKune on
  • squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    As WIP as it is I think the Tiana's my favorite. She's the biggest deviation from what you usually draw and her face is gorgeous; I can't wait till you tackle more of that dress.

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
    edited April 2011
    This new one is fun. I'll probably end up doing some more black ladies in the future. Normally I just paint zooey every picture so yeah.

Anadukune, I do all my pictures in photoshop 5.5. I did however use the warp tool in cs3 to do the carpet in the Jasmine picture.

Baggs, I will be adding some more folds in the snow white picture. I like the simple folds I have in the jasmine picture however. I wanted to keep the simplicity of the original designs.

wakkawa on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Holy eff, yeah...the face on that last girl is stunning. (Tiana, I guess?.....I......I never saw the movie, either. <_< )

NightDragon on
  • The One 52The One 52 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Wakka, those princesses pieces are just... awesome. Nice work!

The One 52 on
    bigbosssig.gif
    The internet does not qualify as grounds where you can act like a bouquet of dick.
  • meowmixmeowmix Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm kind of wondering if a) you could finish eight more, and b) find a reputable calendar company to handle the licensing with Disney.

Their terms are likely to be awfully steep, but that calendar would sell either a million billion or a jillion zillion.

meowmix on
    edited April 2011
    wakkawa wrote: »
    This new one is fun. I'll probably end up doing some more black ladies in the future. Normally I just paint zooey every picture so yeah.

Anadukune, I do all my pictures in photoshop 5.5. I did however use the warp tool in cs3 to do the carpet in the Jasmine picture.

Baggs, I will be adding some more folds in the snow white picture. I like the simple folds I have in the jasmine picture however. I wanted to keep the simplicity of the original designs.

While more secondary folds would also be a very, very nice touch and probably a better analysis of how Copley was able to differentiate materials so unbelievably, I was actually just unknowingly agreeing to tapeslinger's post. Give the skirt (likely homespun or canvas) a lot of texture relative to your other fabrics, the blouse (possibly some sort of silk) a high gloss that shows all the little puckers (like the one you have near the ends of the sleeves, but less so) near the seams and areas with difficult shapes (i.e. near the breast), and the collar (likely oxford or whatever men's collars are made of) a highly matte surface with little texture, I think.

Oh, and the red things on the sleeves are slashes, straight cuts in the fabric that are rarely cut in shape (the shapes being due to the shape and angle of the fabric rather than simply being cut out) and never sewn to a same-size and shape interior fabric (there is always a pucker of some sort). You've drawn them like prints or patches, although that may just be because of how Disney animated them. You can find a good example (the dark fabric behind the red in the sleeves) and one more outrageous version in the spoiler:
    406px-Lucas_Cranach_d._%C3%84._040.jpgJoos_van_Cleve_003.jpg

Bagginses on
    edited April 2011
    Thanks! I was trying to figure out what those damn things on her shoulder was. I just couldn't find any good pictures of them :D

tiana2.jpg

wakkawa on
  • MangoesMangoes Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Absolutely gorgeous. Excellent work.

Mangoes on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    okay no I like this one best

Tam on
  • sharky tsharky t LondonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Tam wrote: »
    okay no I like this one best

I like it bester!

sharky t on
    edited April 2011
    fuck you I like it besterest

Tam on
    edited April 2011
    Is it just me, or is this latest one in a much more impressionist or romantic style? Maybe it's just that the dress is a different materiel than what I'd expect (haven't seen the movie or this dress, and I kind of think of dresses that fancy in terms of "real" examples, which are costumes made of cheap synthetic fabric).

Bagginses on
    edited April 2011
    Wait, explain how that is impressionistic. Or more romantic than, say, the Ariel one.

Tam on
  • GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited April 2011
    On the Jasmine one, I feel like the light source isn't very consistent. She has a pretty hard light on her face and hand but it doesn't convey onto her hair or any other part of her form. This is true for the carpet, too. I think it's a really sexy piece but the light source thing is bothering me.

Grifter on
    edited April 2011
    Tam wrote: »
    Wait, explain how that is impressionistic. Or more romantic than, say, the Ariel one.

The limited detail of the clothing and general glow, I think. It just seems like it's more meant to suggest its form than denote it in detail. I forgot about Ariel, but she seems more neoclassical. I suppose it's short the short brush strokes, though.

Bagginses on
    edited April 2011
    everyone is the bestest.

Grif, yeah the lighting is off there. I added the bright lights on the hair, rug, and let the left side but it looked weird. My rendering of it looked weird I mean. I was too lazy to try and fix it so I called it quits. :(

couldntchange.jpg

The lighting under the arm is wrong and I need to change that too.

wakkawa on
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Man, you gotta do Mulan.

MagicToaster on
    edited April 2011
    this one is definitely getting the most emotional response out of me
    I love how the lighter lower part of her dress looks almost like magnolia petals
    I would not be at all surprised if you got another DD for it
    also I think you should send it to Disney
    or are they likely to get ornery on you, I don't know

and you definitely gotta do Mulan wakk
    and make her a badass
    I mean what makes her unique is the fact that she overcame a lot of adversity and saved an entire country with indomitable courage
    you might be able to tell at this point that Mulan is my favorite

Tam on
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011
    god I love the way you do fabric. It's always so ... tactile.

tynic on
  • UrantiaUrantia regular
    edited April 2011
    Every time Wak posts it's like I'm getting a sneak preview of what's going to be at the top of CGHub in a week.

Urantia on
    Ignore the above.
  • MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    the rendering is absolutely gorgeous, as usual. I'm having a little trouble understanding the pose, though. I have no idea where her right leg is. The way you have the cloth following her left leg up and draping around it makes me expect the same for the other leg, but all I'm getting is nebulous dress bulge.

Molybdenum on
    Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178