As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

school is for pretentious assholes

• DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    yeah well even when I memorize something I double-check the source material basically every time I think "what if you got it wrong?" (which is frequently, the thinking I might be wrong not the actually being wrong part)

paranoia

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Last fall I gave a presentation with a classmate on drug testing in my business ethics course. We later got our review/grade from the professor and along giving us an A he included the note of, "That was perfect, you couldn't have done any better than that."

I felt pretty awesome that day.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • ScudoScudo Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    public speaking is one of those things that I started out terrified of but now I actually quite like. I really enjoyed my public speaking class and teaching a few undergraduate classes got me really comfortable in front of a small crowd.

I have no doubt I'd choke if I stood up in front of an auditorium or something, though, but I uh, can't see why I would ever be doing that

Scudo on
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Standing up in front of a super huge crowd is pretty easy as they just tend to become one big mass of shadows. Mind you this is with the caveat of speaking on a topic or subject of comfortable knowledge.

I'd absolutely shit myself if I had to do stand-up comedy.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    ive not had enough practice public speaking

had to give a 30 minute lecture for my applied math seminar

i was all nervous and shit and couldnt project for shit

i get all like eek eek i dunno why

im a goon

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I think workshopping and (very briefly) teaching squeezed out any residual fears I might have had about public speaking

Although yes, I too would just melt on the spot if I tried my hand at stand up

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    public speaking never held any fears for me

I guess I'm just a people person

and you are all terrible

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • WietWiet Mao Mao Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    What do you know about public speaking you're a bloody bird.

Sitting in a tree and cawing at people passing by doesn't count.

Wiet on
    XStly.jpg
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    pfff it totally does

haters gonna hate am I CAW CAW CAW CAW CAW CAW

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hate doing presentations

get all shaky and shit

Oghulk on
  • Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I hate giving presentations in front of groups of people but I have no problem answering questions in class when 60 people are listening.

It's so weird.

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I hate giving presentations in front of groups of people but I have no problem answering questions in class when 60 people are listening.

It's so weird.

You aren't really the focus of attention at that point. The teacher is usually still the main focus of attention and you are more of a sideshow at most. You also don't really have much time to get scared.

Couscous on
  • PixelMonkeyPixelMonkey Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    fttttt this workload is killing me. Gotta get this ad campaign design done by the end of semester and there is so much to do and in my core unit where I am doing the front end development of site for a dancing student. I got the images I needed to work with a week late from one of my group members.

Fuck this school.

PixelMonkey on
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    i remember when I was writing a presentation this year which ended up being my only top marks assignments ever, I was going through the writing part, when I realised "I know all of this, I could talk about this shit for half an hour, let alone 5 minutes.

that was my peak

a few months later I went through it and holy damn I had done good. Not time for that quality work now though, too many assignments to do.

The Black Hunter on
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    you know the presentation went kinda good

i have a loud deep voice anyway so it wasn't until about 3/4 of the way through that i stumbled over a word and had to catch myself before going on. but at that point it felt like my heart was that little airplane gremlin on the wing with a hammer

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So in just over a year I will graduate and have a degree in Environmental Science.

Does this mean I get to say, "I am an environmental scientist" upon graduation? Because I'm looking at entry level positions with places like the EPA and they are all pretty much, "We are looking for environmental scientists". So I guess I need to write to them and go "welp that's me"? Or something? I've never applied for highly technical positions before. The highly technical position I now occupy I gained almost through complete accident, doing field work for a geophysicist.

I've been doing research at my job, and I'll have a BS, but it seems a bit surreal to say, "I am a scientist." Like, almost comical.

joshofalltrades on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I should say it's comical in the sense that when people ask, "What do you do?" I'll be able to say, "I am a scientist. SCIENCE" Not in the sense of, "I don't deserve my degree".

joshofalltrades on
  • SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It would be nice if I could write seven more pages in five and a half hours...

Not sure if that's going to happen though.

Sassori on
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    not with that attitude

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • babyeatingjesusbabyeatingjesus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Exam 1 of 2 over for today. Feelin good so far!!

babyeatingjesus on
    hitthatcheeseburgerfatty.gif
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So in just over a year I will graduate and have a degree in Environmental Science.

Does this mean I get to say, "I am an environmental scientist" upon graduation? Because I'm looking at entry level positions with places like the EPA and they are all pretty much, "We are looking for environmental scientists". So I guess I need to write to them and go "welp that's me"? Or something? I've never applied for highly technical positions before. The highly technical position I now occupy I gained almost through complete accident, doing field work for a geophysicist.

I've been doing research at my job, and I'll have a BS, but it seems a bit surreal to say, "I am a scientist." Like, almost comical.

You basically apply based on your degree and your internships/work history. Don't call yourself a scientist though, it will scare the norms in HR.

Connections and networking help too. Even if the company you intern for doesn't have any positions, people network in technical fields through groups and affiliations. I interned at two companies. Each one gave me job offers, plus I had three other offers from places based on recommendations from the people I interned with.

I just happened to stay with the same parent company now for 11 years since I graduated. 3 different and very distinct work groups though.

Hunter on
  • Rogue LemonRogue Lemon AVATAR BOX TOO TIGHT, 50 YEARS DUNGEON!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Woohoo, one more month and I will have my BA in Psychology. I calculated it out, and I will have a bank balance of about 200 dollars left by that time.

Gonna be staying at home with the folks for a time afterward, except I've looked around a bit and there is NOTHING related to my degree for work in my hometown. That's kind of... disappointing. Guess I'm working at Costco or something until I can afford to transplant my ass.

Rogue Lemon on
    Tentaclemon.jpg
    STEAM: BioSpark // POKEMON: 0303 9578 6730
    edited April 2011
    Hunter wrote: »

You basically apply based on your degree and your internships/work history. Don't call yourself a scientist though, it will scare the norms in HR.

Connections and networking help too. Even if the company you intern for doesn't have any positions, people network in technical fields through groups and affiliations. I interned at two companies. Each one gave me job offers, plus I had three other offers from places based on recommendations from the people I interned with.

I just happened to stay with the same parent company now for 11 years since I graduated. 3 different and very distinct work groups though.

Cool man, good info. Thanks.

joshofalltrades on
  • Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I don't mind public speaking. That I might make a mistake is exhilarating. Was thinking of possibly delivering a speech at graduation. The speech itself I would want to be fantastically terrible however, so I don't think I could keep a straight face.

Muse Among Men on
  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I have gotten progressively better at public speaking as I got older. My biggest issue is speaking slow enough to clearly communicate what I am trying to say.

This will become problematic when my advancement to candidacy exam comes up in a month.

Also, those of you not currently desperately writing papers at the last minute should play my phalla.

Baidol on
    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • ScudoScudo Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Now, karaoke

that is one thing I just will not do, even plastered

nobody needs to hear me singing voice, even in the car I turn up the radio loud enough to drown myself out

Scudo on
  • skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Public speaking was always a rough thing for me.

Easily embarrassed, I'd always end up bright red and short of breath by the end of anything.

But then in college, I started not caring as much. Stopped working myself up.
    Well, that and I just did it more.

I took Japanese and we had to give presentations and speak in front of the class quite a bit.
    This taught me that if I was doing slides, to keep them simple and to the point, or else no one would understand anything :P

There was also a speech giving class that was required in my CS program. Had to give a 20-30 minute presentation.

I'm still not great at it, especially since I don't have a loud voice, but I don't fear it nowadays.

skettios on
  • Rogue LemonRogue Lemon AVATAR BOX TOO TIGHT, 50 YEARS DUNGEON!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I think I'm a weird outlier of some kind. I was always your typical social-phobic nerdboy, barely got a word out in group conversation. Thank god I got over that. But presentations, public speaking, all that stuff? Never any trouble at all.

I just needed something coherent and structured to talk about, I think. As long as you know your shit, there's nothing to fear.

Rogue Lemon on
    Tentaclemon.jpg
    STEAM: BioSpark // POKEMON: 0303 9578 6730
  • BeyondBeyond Nerd Slayer In the SkyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Business majors forthewin.

Beyond on
  • CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So... there's an honors symposium in a few weeks. The deadline to apply is tomorrow.

Ugh... chance to give a public lecture = a good thing; having to have my talk done two weeks early = a bad thing.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • kfroosterkfrooster Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Done for the semester. No more essays and no more exams... for two weeks when Spring semester starts -_____-

kfrooster on
  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Callius wrote: »
    So... there's an honors symposium in a few weeks. The deadline to apply is tomorrow.

Ugh... chance to give a public lecture = a good thing; having to have my talk done two weeks early = a bad thing.

Giving a talk is a really good experience.

Baidol on
    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So my AP Euro History class next year might not make it cause of budget cuts and we need 15 people to sign up and we have 7 (maybe 9) right now.

I think she's letting some of this year's sophomores (the grade level that the world history course is at) in next year just to help the class make it, and if so I probably won't be as worried about it.

God would I be pissed if that didn't make though. One of the few courses at the school I'm actually interested in.

Oghulk on
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    i did not make good uses of my summers with doing cool internships and things or taking classes

i bummed around

but i like bumming around i just wish i hadn't in hindsight

summer after senior year was good though because i had my job starting end of august and i graduated in may sooo wheeee

i'm looking into programs right now btw

stuff like this:
    http://math.nyu.edu/degree/ms/scicomputing.html
    and
    http://icme.stanford.edu/

i like those!

does anyone else know of similar masters programs?

also

was also contemplating CS masters but... like, even though a lot of them say no prior CS experience required (though some require some) and if you don't have it you need to take classes... could i actually get into a good program without a big CS background? wish i hadnt stopped the CS before i did all that C/C++ stuff but.... the teacher was bad and i was lazy!

Yeah, I got my M.Sc. in CS without an undergrad degree in CS. A couple of things helped. I took the missing pre-reqs the spring/summer before I officially started. And I went in to the numerical analysis group in CS, so my math background was an advantage. If you're doing theory of computation, the math is definitely an advantage. You may have to take a few more courses to fill in some of the missing pre-requisites, but it's doable.

But a good applied math program will have a decent amount of programming.

Kakodaimonos on
  • GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    You know I'm still surprised I got so much done in just 3 weeks during my painting rotation
    217340_10150165920578706_545123705_6586711_7661111_n.jpg

But now I'm finding doing a huge A2 self portrait difficult, curse you holiday homework.

Gatsby on
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I just made such a bitchin' spreadsheet, guys

so bitchin'

MrMonroe on
  • satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    i'm going to spend the next few days working on a solid outline for civil procedure, because it is the only class in which i can actually bring the outline this semester

one of my classes has a policy in which the only material we can bring other than the book is a single piece of paper. i feel this is almost less helpful than being allowed nothing.

satansfingers on
    edited April 2011
    which class?

that is an... intriguing requirement

can the type be very small?

MrMonroe on
  • satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    contracts

it can be double-sided. it can be anything. it can only be one sheet of paper.

i'm thinking about compiling a powerpoint of her most informative slides and then printing 6 to a page, double-sided.

satansfingers on
    edited April 2011
    bring an, 8 1/2"x11" microfiche

MrMonroe on
This discussion has been closed.