As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Problem installing iTunes

Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
I've tried to update to the latest version of iTunes several times now and a little way into the process I get this message: "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable. Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'iTunes.msi' in the box below."

There are two paths shown and both return the message that iTunes.msi could not be found anywhere.

I'm not even entirely sure what's gone wrong here.

Grey Ghost on

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    1. download the iTunes package from the apple website (don't try to do it through software update)
    2. Use your favorite unzipping application (7zip or peazip are my tools of choice) to extract the contents of the itunes install exe, you should get several apps, one of which will be iTunes.msi.
    3. When you try the update again, if it fails with the same message, point the updater at the newly extracted iTunes.msi.
    4. Wait
    5. Profit!

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Tried all that with Peazip and:

"The file 'C:\......iTunes.msi' is not a valid installation package for the product iTunes. Try to find the installation package 'iTunes.msi' in a folder from which you can install iTunes."

But it's... it's right there!

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Ah, the problem seems to be at the stage where it removes the older version of iTunes, because I just went to uninstall it through Add/Remove Programs and it jumped straight to the first error message. I think if I can just get past that I'll be okay.

Grey Ghost on