As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Portal 2! IT'S HERE! IT'S OUT!

• wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Really though,
    The ending was incredibly boring. Especially for someone like glados.

If there wasn't going to be a real crossover then whats the point of mentioning the games. Other than tee hee reference to something.

The Borealis thing is such a tease.

wakkawa on
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    wakkawa wrote: »
    Really though,

If there wasn't going to be a real crossover then whats the point of mentioning the games. Other than tee hee reference to something.

Whaat? The ending is great.

And also Valve has been very adamant that the connection between the two games will be relegated to minor references. Personally I prefer it that way, while they share the same continuity they're very separate universes in tone and content.

I think you just want Episode 3 too bad :P.

Winky on
  • LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Really though,

The ending was perfect. Good lord, can't you people be happy with anything? Also, stepping out in to the 7 hour war? Really? We already know what happens in that war, it lasts 7 hours and the humans lose. Shitty ending that would have been.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Really though,

I thought this was explained at the time of Portal 1.
    They weren't sure if Portal would be popular. Tying it into the HL universe was a way of getting the HL fans to play it. Since then Portal has definately succeeded in its own right, so although the idea of a level where you have the Portal Gun and the Gravity Gun is my own personal wish, I can understand if the two franchises end up drifting apart.

RMS Oceanic on
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    You know, I honestly forgot what people's reactions to Portal 1's ending was, because it's more ambiguous and unsatisfying than 2 can even dream of. I think the lameness of the original's ending was overshadowed by the sheer unexpected awesome of "Still Alive."

Zxerol on
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I love Wheatly hacking so much:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfheJKZn-80

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I am not a big fan of opera or happy endings. Just wanted something to make me crave moreeeeee. Also it would be more like glados if there was something truly terrible going on outside, and she is just testing your survival even more.

wakkawa on
    edited April 2011
    Nostalgia is a powerful thing.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Really though,

The ending was perfect. Good lord, can't you people be happy with anything? Also, stepping out in to the 7 hour war? Really? We already know what happens in that war, it lasts 7 hours and the humans lose. Shitty ending that would have been.
    Yeah, the ending was perfect. Chell got what she had been trying to get for two games now: Freedom. You step out into the sunlight, in a beautiful wheat field, finally free from all that underground madness.

I like keeping the connection distant. But it's more important than it seems, I think, beyond the Borealis. One of my favorite details from the lower sections was the trophy case full of "#2 in Science" awards. Cave Johnson's intense jealousy for Black Mesa probably (partially) drove the insane experiments. And Caroline supported him, thus:

"Maybe Black Mesa
    That was a joke, haha, fat chance"

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    ... Something that came to me. What are the odds of actually hitting the exact spot of where the lunar landing was, given we know how wide a portal is?

Heleor on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Behemoth wrote: »
    Really though,

Yeah, the ending was perfect. Chell got what she had been trying to get for two games now: Freedom. You step out into the sunlight, in a beautiful wheat field, finally free from all that underground madness.

I like keeping the connection distant. But it's more important than it seems, I think, beyond the Borealis. One of my favorite details from the lower sections was the trophy case full of "#2 in Science" awards. Cave Johnson's intense jealousy for Black Mesa probably (partially) drove the insane experiments. And Caroline supported him, thus:

"Maybe Black Mesa
    That was a joke, haha, fat chance"

I just wish they would hurry up and do/make/say something about episode 3 or stop teasing about it.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I am not a big fan of opera or happy endings. Just wanted something to make me crave moreeeeee. Also it would be more like glados if there was something truly terrible going on outside, and she is just testing your survival even more.

Sorry Wakk, if you didn't have a huge grin on your face when
    you went to the fucking moon
    I don't really know what else could have pleased you.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • TyberiusTyberius Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    One thing that bugs me about the game is...
    The time of day, during the majority of the testing, especially just prior the final confrontation it's daylight, how in the span of a few minutes it becomes dark enough at night to have such a clear view of the moon? You can argue it was dusk after the part where he kills you, but...

Just a minor thing, but it's just funny after replaying it all the little bits of foreshadowing I overlooked due to the big stupid grin on my face.

Tyberius on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Tyberius wrote: »
    The time of day, during the majority of the testing, especially just prior the final confrontation it's daylight, how in the span of a few minutes it becomes dark enough at night to have such a clear view of the moon? You can argue it was dusk after the part where he kills you, but...

Just a minor thing, but it's just funny after replaying it all the little bits of foreshadowing I overlooked due to the big stupid grin on my face.
    The moon shot is the first time you see actual sky. The overgrown facility and all that still takes place underground. All the vegetation came from Chell's overgrown science project and all the light is artifical. Along with the air.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    "Space. Space. Wanna go to space." Has already become a thing with my friends.

Salvation122 on
  • darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    My brother and I love quoting funny lines like that to one another. If I could only tear him away from wow long enough to beat the game...
    i'minspace

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Jesus, co-op is starting to get fucking hard. Spoilers for a particular chamber in chapter 4.
    I forget which number it is, but it has a giant gap, 2 faith-plates, an excursion funnel down in the gap, and a laser in an isolated room really high up that has to be directed to the opposite side of the room via portals.

That took us like 20 minutes to even figure out how to solve it. We got it 90% solved, with the laser feeding into the receiver, and then we realized I needed to be over on that side. I could have probably walked through the portal the laser was going through, but it didn't even occur to me. I fucked up trying to get across, and ended up back down on the bottom of the level. In trying to help me get back up, my buddy ended up back down there with me, and the portals the laser was going through got lost. We basically had to start over.

It was only then that it dawned on us that it was a lot easier to deal with the excursion funnel if we lined it up wherever we wanted to go and just jumped into where the funnel started, down in the gap. That made everything a whole lot easier. Up until that point, to get around, we had been juggling funnels back and forth between walls, frequently missing.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
    edited April 2011
    Tyberius wrote: »

The moon shot is the first time you see actual sky. The overgrown facility and all that still takes place underground. All the vegetation came from Chell's overgrown science project and all the light is artifical. Along with the air.
    GLaDOS does explain that all the light in the test chambers is artificial and is kept as close to sunlight as possible (and they release something into the air to keep the test subjects alert and unaware of the passage of time while testing)

EDIT: Remember the lighting in the relaxation chamber when you first wake up? Completely artificial.

LittleBoots on

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2011
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Jesus, co-op is starting to get fucking hard. Spoilers for a particular chamber in chapter 4.
    I forget which number it is, but it has a giant gap, 2 faith-plates, an excursion funnel down in the gap, and a laser in an isolated room really high up that has to be directed to the opposite side of the room via portals.

That took us like 20 minutes to even figure out how to solve it. We got it 90% solved, with the laser feeding into the receiver, and then we realized I needed to be over on that side. I could have probably walked through the portal the laser was going through, but it didn't even occur to me. I fucked up trying to get across, and ended up back down on the bottom of the level. In trying to help me get back up, my buddy ended up back down there with me, and the portals the laser was going through got lost. We basically had to start over.

It was only then that it dawned on us that it was a lot easier to deal with the excursion funnel if we lined it up wherever we wanted to go and just jumped into where the funnel started, down in the gap. That made everything a whole lot easier. Up until that point, to get around, we had been juggling funnels back and forth between walls, frequently missing.
    Chapter 3 spoiler
    The "collide with each other" room was insane to figure out. I wish I could take credit for figuring that one out. I did get a lot of gel puzzles thought.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    darunia106 wrote: »
    My brother and I love quoting funny lines like that to one another. If I could only tear him away from wow long enough to beat the game...
    i'minspace

gunwarrior on
  • ChronocideChronocide Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hahahah great site is great.

Chronocide on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    chapter 6 spoilers

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • AuberonAuberon Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Rorus Raz wrote: »

Chapter 3 spoiler
    The "collide with each other" room was insane to figure out. I wish I could take credit for figuring that one out. I did get a lot of gel puzzles thought.
    My friend and I got that one instantly. Not unexpected, given the number of times we each stood on ledges to redirect the other's trajectory downwards. The chamber that gave us the most trouble was in chapter 5, I think. The one with the 6 turrets on unreachable platforms pointing at the exit, the ramp to launch off and a laser high up. Our solution was pretty messy, and I only found one walkthrough on youtube. And theirs was even worse.

Auberon on
  • GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    chapter 6 spoilers

Damn neckbearded scientist.

Also, anyone else slightly peeved that you can't select what test chamber to play but instead are limited to specific chapters?

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    GrimReaper wrote: »
    chapter 6 spoilers

Damn neckbearded scientist.

Also, anyone else slightly peeved that you can't select what test chamber to play but instead are limited to specific chapters?

Yes but only because it made getting some achievements more time consuming than they needed to be

Maddoc on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    GrimReaper wrote: »

Doubly so because you can do just that when playing co op.

Peewi on
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Just beat it, wow, no spoilers, just wow.

Also now I just want the prequel game that Valve was originally working on and shelved for a more traditional sequel to come out even more!

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    chapter 6 spoilers
    Now somebody just needs to make combustible lemons.

SightTDW on
    Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    3am
    just finished the SP campaign

game is EXTREMELY good

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    edited April 2011
    actually one thing about the ending
    it's really really really a shame that when chell steps out of the elevator she doesn't see the remants of I dunno, City 42! or something after the combine invasion. would have ended on more of a downder and would have beeen more interesting to fans of the Half-Life universe. Instead we get no tie in and a Borealis Life Saver

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    it's really really really a shame that when chell steps out of the elevator she doesn't see the remants of I dunno, City 42! or something after the combine invasion. would have ended on more of a downder and would have beeen more interesting to fans of the Half-Life universe. Instead we get no tie in and a Borealis Life Saver

Well Valve did want to make the portal franchise separate from half life and I think the links they established were good, enough to be good easter eggs for fans of both series but not linking it too much.

Renegade Wolf on
    edited April 2011
    that's fine for those people
    but I want more! me me me

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • JivesJives Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hardtarget wrote: »

Given the length of time after half life 2 that it's set I don't know what more they could have really shown that wouldn't have spoilt the outcome of episode 3 etc

Jives on
    edited April 2011
    I don't think anybody knows what year it takes place in compared to the Half-Life 2 setting... unless I missed something massive

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Nakatomi2010Nakatomi2010 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    They've mentioned you're hundreds of years out. So, it's well after the events of HL2.

The important take away here however is that Chell steps out of the elevator at the end and into a wide open wheat field on a sunny blue sky kinda day.

Which to me means that Gordon was able to save Earth and that in the future the Combine are gone and the planet was able to be saved, to an extent.

But that's to me

Nakatomi2010 on
    Check out me building my HTPC (NSF56K) (Updated 1-10-08)
    Movie Collection
    Foody Things
    Holy shit! Sony's new techno toy!
    Wii Friend code: 1445 3205 3057 5295
    edited April 2011
    totally disagree on that because multiple times in HL2
    is gordon outside driving around with the sun shining down in the middle of nowhere so it's not like the combine invaded and then shut off the sun

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Well...
    The combine hadn't gotten the chance to actually do horrible, horrible things to our planet yet in Half-Life 2.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Anyone on 360 up for some coop today?

I don't have a working headset though so would be good if you had access to PA vent while playing, much better sound anyway.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    mere_immortal: You can actually do co-op with PS3 and PC players. Or that's what it seems like.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
    edited April 2011
    360 is only available to coop with 360 through xbl

PS3 and PC can coop together through steam

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
This discussion has been closed.