As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dungeon Raid: Not getting anything accomplished IRL ever again. (iOS)

• Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Increases the rate at which you gain bonus shields toward your next upgrade; it is to upgrades what boost XP is to levels and boost gold is to new items.

Those skills will help you improve your character more quickly over time.

Darian on
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Ah, so great to get near the beginning of a new game, not so good later on. And from what you guys are saying the skulls advance in stats is unrelated to how often you level up?

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    edited April 2011
    To the best of my knowledge, the only thing that affects the base power/defense of the skulls is the number of turns, yep.

Darian on
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    38thDoe wrote: »
    And from what you guys are saying the skulls advance in stats is unrelated to how often you level up?

Just based on turns taken.

wonderpug on
  • Options
    davinciedavincie Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Ah, so great to get near the beginning of a new game, not so good later on. And from what you guys are saying the skulls advance in stats is unrelated to how often you level up?

Actually it is one of the best upgrades and getting 2 points of UP/XP/GP should be your first priority. Never ever sacrifice those upgrades to upgrade another stat and always put them on your helmet.

davincie on
    20qx2bp.jpg
  • Options
    The EarlThe Earl Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Does Leeching have a cap? I've only ever gotten it to 18%.

I've gotten Leeching up to 25/27% which made things pretty easy as I was rarely grabbing pots for the actual health benefit.

The Earl on
    | Flickr | Steam | KROQ | Game Center The_Earl
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    wonderpug wrote: »
    And from what you guys are saying the skulls advance in stats is unrelated to how often you level up?

Just based on turns taken.

Which is why you don't want to mess around with just matching 3-4 things very often if you can help it at all.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    davincie wrote: »

Actually it is one of the best upgrades and getting 2 points of UP/XP/GP should be your first priority. Never ever sacrifice those upgrades to upgrade another stat and always put them on your helmet.

Why your helmet? I've always wondered if it mattered what piece of equipment you upgraded.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    When you start playing to the really high numbers of turns, with the end game upgrades it ends up being more a matter of not losing good upgrades than it is choosing which upgrade you like better. Davincie is saying he doesn't think the helmets lose upgrades as often, if I'm reading him right.

wonderpug on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    So is Charisma a good stat to upgrade when possible since it kind of does what the UP/XP/GP upgrade does right?

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Heir wrote: »
    So is Charisma a good stat to upgrade when possible since it kind of does what the UP/XP/GP upgrade does right?

It's similar, but it's not quite as nice because it increases your chance of getting bonus UP/XP/GP instead of flat-out upgrading the quantity you get per item. I could be making a mistake, but I tend to not focus on it too much until I'm doing so well I can afford to just run it up to full 100%s.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    so i'm playing a raider right now.... holy crapthis is by far the farthest i have ever gotten, and masochism... so beautiful...

my build right now (which is definitely not perfect but seems to be working out pretty well for me)

Masochism, exorcise, heal all, repair all

put as many points into boost up, leech, regen, a few in blunting, and anything that boosts luck, currently my skeletons are at +41 so i have no idea what turn i am at.

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    DeathPrawn wrote: »

It's similar, but it's not quite as nice because it increases your chance of getting bonus UP/XP/GP instead of flat-out upgrading the quantity you get per item. I could be making a mistake, but I tend to not focus on it too much until I'm doing so well I can afford to just run it up to full 100%s.

The only situation I'd ever get Charisma is if I'm looking for certain skills and don't want to take either of the ones it offers me. In long games, the important bonus chances get up to 100% without even touching it.

Speaking of which, just got a score of 39,645 in Hard (931 turns). Pretty happy with that. Skills were Repair/Treasure/Enchant/Boost Armor. I'd always rather get Repair in the 4th spot if possible since the cooldown with Boost Armor works out better there, but it wasn't that big a deal. As a Sauren, getting a whole bunch of free Enchants during item upgrades was key.

AshtonDragon on
  • Options
    davinciedavincie Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    davincie wrote: »

Why your helmet? I've always wondered if it mattered what piece of equipment you upgraded.

Every piece of equipment behaves a little bit different. The shield has a tendency to throw away stats and trade them in for armor, the chest occasionally gives you 2 armor instead of 1 and is the only piece that can get durability and the helmet occasionally tosses you a bonus upgrade and almost never takes away stats. The trinket gets reasonable amounts of bonus upgrades and unique access to quick and such. Because of the bonus upgrades, the fact that the helmet has no unique upgrades and that it is easier to track the helmet is the best place to put those.

davincie on
    20qx2bp.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I honestly don't believe I can die with this build... my only undoing would probably be if 2 meatshields spawn or a meatshield and a spiky i don't notice... i'm past 60+ on skeletons now

TheKoolEagle on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Ok in my current game I'm doing really well..but I'm wondering about something.

I'm something like lvl 150 in the current game...have about 40,000 points...but I haven't found one trophy. I'm playing as a barbarian this time.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Ok in my current game I'm doing really well..but I'm wondering about something.

I'm something like lvl 150 in the current game...have about 40,000 points...but I haven't found one trophy. I'm playing as a barbarian this time.

You may be on easy.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Ah. Yeah I was. Didn't realize that made a difference.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So I may have the best combo in the game going.

Raider with masch., collect all shields, treasure room, collect all coins. The combo goes treasure room, shields, coins, masch., grab coins.

Only flaw is all the potions that get left behind. Almost lvl 100. How do I get back to the menu in game to get into game center?

Tommatt on
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Thanks for all the replies, so what are the differences between Normal Hard and Harder, and are there certain things that can only be unlocked at the higher difficulties?
    Also is it random which skulls drop trophies?

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    edited April 2011
    Thanks for all the replies, so what are the differences between Normal Hard and Harder, and are there certain things that can only be unlocked at the higher difficulties?

Only specials. Not sure exactly what the difference is, but it's harder each time :). Give hard a try. I started at 79 turns, now regularly get to 600 and have mo clue where I'm at now. Lvl 100 or so, paused it. Need to figure out how everyone is taking pictures of their end game screens and such.

Tommatt on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Tommatt wrote: »

Only specials. Not sure exactly what the difference is, but it's harder each time :). Give hard a try. I started at 79 turns, now regularly get to 600 and have mo clue where I'm at now. Lvl 100 or so, paused it. Need to figure out how everyone is taking pictures of their end game screens and such.

Pressing lock and home at the same time takes a screenshot.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Arivia wrote: »
    Tommatt wrote: »

Pressing lock and home at the same time takes a screenshot.

Thank you!!! Been wondering that for a long time :)

Tommatt on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I just had my best game ever as a ranger, 899 turns, which is 500+ better than my last game. Managed to unlock the Barbarian, Warrior, and Priest. I think I'm going to try the Priest, Wish seems to be pretty powerful.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    edited April 2011
    I just had my best game ever as a ranger, 899 turns, which is 500+ better than my last game. Managed to unlock the Barbarian, Warrior, and Priest. I think I'm going to try the Priest, Wish seems to be pretty powerful.

its not that great because its a one time use, so you really only use it once or twice a game

TheKoolEagle on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    yeah currently level 92 on normal difficulty, starting to get bored this far in the game, i'm afraid i will have burned myself out on it by the time i actually die

TheKoolEagle on
  • Options
    ArcturasArcturas Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Woo, finally think I'm done with normal difficulty. Just got an 83k run using TC, double coins, collect coins, collect shields. I actually only died after reaching 75k and handing the ipod to my fiance since she kept demanding I finish the game. She died shortly thereafter - "Why did I die? I don't think there were any skulls on the screen!" "Yes dear, whatever you say dear, I'm sure there were no skulls around...."

The big difference? I finally listened to all you wackos who hate armor and love health. I had a mediocre amount of regen and spikes, and rarely could hang on to armor piercing or leech. So not too much in the way of special enchants going on. Instead, I reached turn 950-ish with approximately 200 weapon damage and 2k-ish health? (I forget the exact numbers) Only 140-150-ish armor, though. I took + weapon damage over everything except +15 health from the store (or one of the +1 X and +1 regen/spikes/whatever if I got the chance), and would take health over armor every time. (Yes, +5 health instead of +1 armor. +2 armor was....a coin flip)

Now time to head to harder, or time to play with gimmick builds for fun.

I'd really love to try the slash in slot 4 with -1 cooldown build. Just sounds hilarious. Alternatively, shapeshifter + bgh + enchant, plus two random skills (masochism? who knows). BGH + quick + -1 cooldown procs all the time. It's awesome.

Arcturas on
  • Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So.. Previously we were talking about blunting, and from the conversation I don't think you guys quite get it.
    Not only does it save you from 1 damage per skull, it reduces each skulls attack by 1. So if you have blunting 3, and there are 3 skulls out there that will do 50 total damage the first turn, the next turn they will only hit for 41. The next turn, they will only hit for 32. Then 23, then 14, then 5, then 3.

If there are a lot of skulls out and your blunting is high, it can super increase your survivability if you can hold out the first turn or two.. Not to mention spiky is pretty safe to ignore once his attack has been blunted down to 1.

Xaviar on
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I pretty much go for blunting if it's offered.

The Judge on
    Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Xaviar wrote: »
    So.. Previously we were talking about blunting, and from the conversation I don't think you guys quite get it.
    Not only does it save you from 1 damage per skull, it reduces each skulls attack by 1. So if you have blunting 3, and there are 3 skulls out there that will do 50 total damage the first turn, the next turn they will only hit for 41. The next turn, they will only hit for 32. Then 23, then 14, then 5, then 3.

If there are a lot of skulls out and your blunting is high, it can super increase your survivability if you can hold out the first turn or two.. Not to mention spiky is pretty safe to ignore once his attack has been blunted down to 1.

Yeah, it really adds up.

I think it only works if you have armor for them to hit, though. If a Defiler comes down and wrecks your armor, blunting isn't going to help you ignore him.

AshtonDragon on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Xaviar wrote: »

Yeah, it really adds up.

I think it only works if you have armor for them to hit, though. If a Defiler comes down and wrecks your armor, blunting isn't going to help you ignore him.

Or just have high health instead.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Man, I can NOT seem to break through 500 turns on normal difficulty. I had a great game going earlier, was chugging along wrecking some skulls, and then I used the big game hunter. I killed him easily, and got cocky and ignored my HP. A Corrosive then immediately comes along and murders me.

I think I'm getting the hang of this game, I just keep making horrible decisions in during actual gameplay.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    The EarlThe Earl Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, I think the game requires a certain amount of awareness once you've reached a certain turn. The game can quickly turn from removing as many tiles from the board as possible, to planning ahead well enough to ensure survivability.
    Admittedly, most of the times that I die I don't see it coming. I'm not blind to the fact that there are skulls on the board or a boss that can rape me if I'm not careful, but I'm just not paying close enough attention to how much damage they'll be able to do, whether my armor is maxed or my health is topped off.

Can someone explain how the armor works in the game...
    I notice that I have an armor rating on the bottom of my screen, which fills when i grab the shields. That armor has a strength that depends on the upgrades that I've given it throughout the course of the game. Why do the skulls do damage to me when my armor rating has yet to reach zero? and what the fuck does durability do?

The Earl on
    | Flickr | Steam | KROQ | Game Center The_Earl
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The Earl wrote: »
    I notice that I have an armor rating on the bottom of my screen, which fills when i grab the shields. That armor has a strength that depends on the upgrades that I've given it throughout the course of the game. Why do the skulls do damage to me when my armor rating has yet to reach zero? and what the fuck does durability do?
    Damage you take is first reduced by your armor rating before it is applied to you. If you have more armor than the damage coming in, you won't lose any health.

But armor isn't just a second health bar. Unlike health, armor doesn't simply get decreased by the damage number. Instead, there is a chance (50% IIRC) that your armor will get reduced by one point for each point of damage coming in. Durability decreases that chance, so the higher your durability, the less your armor will need to be repaired.

JonBob on
    jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    CellorifficCelloriffic Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Remember this gem?
    I know I'm going to see the tile layout in my dreams tonight.

Last night, it happened. Not just during actual sleep, but as I was dozing off. And not just the tile layout either. Matches were being made. Skills were being selected. Levels were upped.

That's right. My subconscious was generating content.

I should be concerned about this. Right?

On a lighter note, Masochism is crazy-awesome good times. But you already knew that.

Celloriffic on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    JonBob wrote: »
    The Earl wrote: »
    Damage you take is first reduced by your armor rating before it is applied to you. If you have more armor than the damage coming in, you won't lose any health.

But armor isn't just a second health bar. Unlike health, armor doesn't simply get decreased by the damage number. Instead, there is a chance (50% IIRC) that your armor will get reduced by one point for each point of damage coming in. Durability decreases that chance, so the higher your durability, the less your armor will need to be repaired.

That's weird...because I've taken damage even when I still had some armor left.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Remember this gem?
    I know I'm going to see the tile layout in my dreams tonight.

Last night, it happened. Not just during actual sleep, but as I was dozing off. And not just the tile layout either. Matches were being made. Skills were being selected. Levels were upped.

That's right. My subconscious was generating content.

I should be concerned about this. Right?

On a lighter note, Masochism is crazy-awesome good times. But you already knew that.

I was sitting in a meeting yesterday...and the way some of my coworkers lined up made me start to draw a mental line through them. I think that was a good sign that I'm playing this way too much.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It's the tetris effect.

Like looking at a white surface and thinking "ok, that's Portalable"

edit: Masochism is crazy-awesome good times. I went back to adventurer though to unlock classes.

Noggin on
    Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    cabaconcabacon Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yup, masochism on a halfling raider is good times! Now, if I could just remember not to cast it when there's a Meat Shield in play ...

cabacon on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    JonBob wrote: »

That's weird...because I've taken damage even when I still had some armor left.

That doesn't contradict his statement; what he said is there is only a chance that the armor is lost when it absorbs damage, based on durability. You should usually still have some armor left when you take damage.

Darian on